MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   Help on 2 build options (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/733112-help-2-build-options.html)

BACnMercedes 01-16-2019 09:58 AM

Help on 2 build options

Just one now. I moved the other to a previous post. Thanks

Well we finally got to it. I am ordering my wife a new E63s and I need some expert advice/help a option.

1. What are thoughts on the steering wheel options? I’ve opted for the heated L6L black piano lacquer wheel ($100) over the standard wheel since it will match the black piano lacquer center console but I’ve never seen it or felt it. Is it thinner (diameter) than the standard? I’m also assuming which ever one that is order that red 12-o’clock marking will not be on it (the DOG pictures has red). And any of them can be “heated” in the warmth and comfort package? Will the piano lacquer be too hot and slick in the summer?
Thanks for the help and now the waiting begins!

78degrees 01-16-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 7655668)
black piano lacquer center console

This is something you should avoid, it will become scratched in a few weeks.

wassup61 01-16-2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 7655668)
Just one now. I moved the other to a previous post. Thanks

Well we finally got to it. I am ordering my wife a new E63s and I need some expert advice/help a option.

1. What are thoughts on the steering wheel options? I’ve opted for the heated L6L black piano lacquer wheel ($100) over the standard wheel since it will match the black piano lacquer center console but I’ve never seen it or felt it. Is it thinner (diameter) than the standard? I’m also assuming which ever one that is order that red 12-o’clock marking will not be on it (the DOG pictures has red). And any of them can be “heated” in the warmth and comfort package? Will the piano lacquer be too hot and slick in the summer?
Thanks for the help and now the waiting begins!

New for 19 option, and one I would avoid due to scratching (same reason you should not get the piano black console) . The wood will not be heated, and the leather wheel is the best option.

Mandarin 01-16-2019 07:49 PM

Everything I can tell you, do not buy Alcantara steering wheel, it's a pain in the ass. Except if you're driving in a gloves

BACnMercedes 01-17-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by wassup61 (Post 7656137)
The wood will not be heated, and the leather wheel is the best option.

Is everyone else getting theirs scratched that much? I have it as trim peices on my GLE with 49k miles and it really doesn't look that bad. I don't have it on the steering wheel and I was wondering about the diameter, feel (hot in summer or cold in winter), and will it scratch that much worse being on the wheel versus trim pieces?
Also, with the warmth and comfort package which adds the heated wheel it will NOT be heated now that I've added the piano lacquer wheel?

wassup61 01-17-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 7656573)
Is everyone else getting theirs scratched that much? I have it as trim peices on my GLE with 49k miles and it really doesn't look that bad. I don't have it on the steering wheel and I was wondering about the diameter, feel (hot in summer or cold in winter), and will it scratch that much worse being on the wheel versus trim pieces?
Also, with the warmth and comfort package which adds the heated wheel it will NOT be heated now that I've added the piano lacquer wheel?

The E class piano black finish is notoriously prone to scratching.

The non-leather parts of the wheel will not be heated on the piano black wheel, only the leather portions. Diameter is the same as the other options, "Just Right", and being plastic, will be cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. If you wear jewelry, be prepared for scratches, and if you wear lotion/cream/oil on your hands, be prepared for a fingerprint/smudge nightmare.

If you want a fully heated wheel, get the leather one, the alcantara looks terrible after a few thousand miles.

pentium7 01-17-2019 08:33 PM

As someone with a 5 week old 19 E63S I concur with the other's statements get the leather steering wheel for sure exactly for the reasons others mentioned for the other options glad I didn't make that mistake!

jkob5 01-17-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by pentium7 (Post 7657203)
As someone with a 5 week old 19 E63S I concur with the other's statements get the leather steering wheel for sure exactly for the reasons others mentioned for the other options glad I didn't make that mistake!

Black Ash Wood!

pentium7 01-17-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jkob5 (Post 7657209)
Black Ash Wood!

Natural grain ash? wood I don't recall but there were two natural grain non-glossy options brown and ash I think so yep I chose that one too. I wanted the flowing lines magnolia even though it was glossy I really liked that look but for 19 they discontinued. Really glad not to have glossy console even the buttons and some glossy things are annoying with every fingerprint like the FBI.

whoover 01-24-2019 08:37 PM

Love the flowing lines black trim. I had piano lacquer for 4 years in a C63 and it never scratched; the lacquer is pretty hard.

But I wouldn't get anything but the leather steering wheel. A slick wood wheel looks nice but grip is more important. It's also the reason I "downgraded" from the new Alcantara.

Tirgoman 01-24-2019 08:59 PM

If it matters to you the heated wheels are round and do not have the flat bottom. As for the red top line it only comes that way if you have a red stitched interior or red leather. Your dealer can pull up detailed pics of each wheel option and what it takes to get it. Go with a leather wheel, feels great and is thicker.

v8plus4 01-24-2019 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tirgoman (Post 7663445)
If it matters to you the heated wheels are round and do not have the flat bottom. As for the red top line it only comes that way if you have a red stitched interior or red leather. Your dealer can pull up detailed pics of each wheel option and what it takes to get it. Go with a leather wheel, feels great and is thicker.

My heated steering wheel has flat bottom.

BACnMercedes 01-25-2019 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to stick to the metal weave because I like it better than the wood options and the flowing lines is just not for me. The metal weave also gives me a black piano lacquer center console and I had hoped it would match the wheel and give the car an even better look, but I may just swap the wheel back to the original one after everyone's advice.

hkinva 01-25-2019 11:13 AM

Don't know about the other materials, but my leather wheel is my one regret. The split leather on either side is very slippery and, as someone else said, you will need gloves to get a good grip for any kind of intense driving - I keep a pair handy and use them often. Just my $.02

NOLA AMG 01-26-2019 11:38 AM

Not a fan of piano black, scratches and shows dust and finger prints. Got the black ash on mine and love it. I had the carbon fiber trim on my last car and didn't like the light reflections it caused in the cabin, it's way to shiny. And the alcantara steering wheel was flat within a year, and looked dirty. And it marked my pants if I rubbed it, getting in/out of the car.

6G Schnell 01-27-2019 09:02 PM

Does anybody know why is E63s taken off the mbusa web site?

benzbell 01-27-2019 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 6G Schnell (Post 7665853)
Does anybody know why is E63s taken off the mbusa web site?

Means they are about to put up the 2019. They've done it this way on several models for the transition. Late as heck I know.