W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 E53 disgrace — 130mph top speed electronically limited in US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by V70cat
You need to break in the engine so even on European delivery it is hard to believe that 130 is an issue. What USA tracks and private roads are designed to allow (design limit) speeds above 130?
As stated previously, upon European delivery I perform a two-day marathon of easy, break-in driving through the mileage specification and complemented by a visit to a service center in Germany. All my cars are broken in correctly.

Just because someone else wouldn’t drive at 155mph doesnt mean I wouldn’t. And since local law enforcement is available to ensure I comply with laws, private folks don’t need to enforce the law here on MBworld.com.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by 348SStb

As stated previously, upon European delivery I perform a two-day marathon of easy, break-in driving through the mileage specification and complemented by a visit to a service center in Germany. All my cars are broken in correctly.

Just because someone else wouldn’t drive at 155mph doesnt mean I wouldn’t. And since local law enforcement is available to ensure I comply with laws, private folks don’t need to enforce the law here on MBworld.com.
I would be nice to drive my new car that fast with European delivery, the rest of it is just strange. First you say tracks and private roads, but they don't seem to exist then you allude to local law enforcement and public roads. Guess getting stopped for 130 or 150 is the same thing so it doesn't matter.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -

I comply with laws, private folks don’t need to enforce the law here on MBworld.com.
Another ****** comment. Op persists on riling in this thread. So the question is why? Every why has a motive. My guess and most likely others - nothing better to do.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
I would be nice to drive my new car that fast with European delivery, the rest of it is just strange. First you say tracks and private roads, but they don't seem to exist then you allude to local law enforcement and public roads. Guess getting stopped for 130 or 150 is the same thing so it doesn't matter.
Let’s not have a debate about this. Tracks and private roads may not “seem to exist,” but I assure you they do. Since I’ve not received a speeding since 2003, and very few prior, I don't have much of a record of breaking the law.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by benzbell
Another ****** comment. Op persists on riling in this thread. So the question is why? Every why has a motive. My guess and most likely others - nothing better to do.
It’s not a ****** comment. I didn’t introduce negativity there. I stated a fact. I stated that local law enforcement is available to enforce the laws. That’s a fact. You’re being negative now. Please relax.

The only motive I had originally (and now) was to have some fun with exploring the question and brainstorming as to possible answers- not to promote a forum for ridicule of any kind. I also hoped that if enough people agreed, this conversation might be moved up the food chain to get Mercedes to issue a service campaign that might flash the computer to raise the limit. Customer feedback has been known to cause results like that.

The original poster simply is trying to spearhead peripheral and extraneous material which has nothing to do with the question of why Mercedes doesn’t have a 155mph limit on AMG53 cars when Audi and BMW have 155mph limits on S6 and M550i and when Mercedes themselves always had 155 (or higher) limits on AMG cars.

There are separate threads entitled similarly to “Do you believe the new 43 and 53 models are “real” AMG cars?” and “Do you agree with Autobahn no-speed limit zones?” and “Do you resent drivers in the US who exceed posted speed limits?” All those are interesting conversations, but a coherent and worthwhile thread couldn’t possibly include all those topics.

Personal preferences on high speeds in general or 130mph versus 155mph, or law enforcement, are irrelevant to the question, as are denigrations of the E53 model compared with 63 variants; but people who insist on providing those have caused the thread to run off course. Luckily the moderator stepped in and made his statement, which hopefully will continue to have effect.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
The E53 is a new model that has more power than the 43, which it replaces and less than a 63. I see this as an improvement not a denigration.
The governed speed is meaningless to most people since they we never see that speed. If you are one of the exception get it tuned and get a good lawyer.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 AM

The E53 is a new model that has more power than the 43, which it replaces and less than a 63. I see this as an improvement not a denigration.
The governed speed is meaningless to most people since they we never see that speed. If you are one of the exception get it tuned and get a good lawyer.
Thanks for your post. Just to respond to the second part, I am not desirous of getting it tuned. I don’t want to void the warranty. I also don’t enjoy paying lawyers at their rates and especially not in
the absence of a matter that would present a requirement for legal services.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-10-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

It’s not a ****** comment. I didn’t introduce negativity there. I stated a fact. I stated that local law enforcement is available to enforce the laws. That’s a fact. You’re being negative now. Please relax.

The only motive I had originally (and now) was to have some fun with exploring the question and brainstorming as to possible answers- not to promote a forum for ridicule of any kind. I also hoped that if enough people agreed, this conversation might be moved up the food chain to get Mercedes to issue a service campaign that might flash the computer to raise the limit. Customer feedback has been known to cause results like that.

The original poster simply is trying to spearhead peripheral and extraneous material which has nothing to do with the question of why Mercedes doesn’t have a 155mph limit on AMG53 cars when Audi and BMW have 155mph limits on S6 and M550i and when Mercedes themselves always had 155 (or higher) limits on AMG cars.

There are separate threads entitled similarly to “Do you believe the new 43 and 53 models are “real” AMG cars?” and “Do you agree with Autobahn no-speed limit zones?” and “Do you resent drivers in the US who exceed posted speed limits?” All those are interesting conversations, but a coherent and worthwhile thread couldn’t possibly include all those topics.

Personal preferences on high speeds in general or 130mph versus 155mph, or law enforcement, are irrelevant to the question, as are denigrations of the E53 model compared with 63 variants; but people who insist on providing those have caused the thread to run off course. Luckily the moderator stepped in and made his statement, which hopefully will continue to have effect.
348sstb,

I don’t dislike you (I don’t know you) but from post 1 until now it seems like you are missing some common sense. I find it hard to believe you don’t get any speeding tickets. Hell, I try hard to follow all speed limit laws even in Germany. And I just paid my approximate $75 ticket on the German Autobahn from my European Delivery trip of my ‘19 S63 going from an unlimited section of the Autobahn to 130 KMH limited section. With your mindset I almost guarantee you will receive a speeding ticket in Stuttgart since they have cameras that take your picture everywhere.

I simply caution you if you do go on a Euro Delivery trip that you don’t get a ticket in Germany.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
If it was to play by the rules, obeying to the law and placing safety issues above else - including personal liberty and liability to do whatever one wants - then every street legal car should be limited to 130 or 140 kmh, because most countries across the world have speed limits below this. Even Germany has just some sections of autobahns with unrestricted speed limits, and even then if you crash your car above 250kmh and that can be proved then the insurance company may void its coverage.

So all of these limits, excuses and shortcuts are false moralities and essentially marketing stuff. Going on an highway at 250kmh on an E63S it's a hell more safe than doing 120kmh on a 90's mini. It is even safer than going at speed limits with today's most average cars. More stable, with more security features, and more breaking power. Yes, blowing a tire at 250 it's still more dangerous than at 120 but let's not hide ourselves behind false reasons.

As I see it, these are marketing moves or simply lack of confidence on their expertise. In the case of the E63s the limit at 300 kmh seems to me to be the later case. When you have BMW, Porsche and other brands going above this without having to use a hard suspension or recourse to meaningful negative cambers then the security excuse seems to be spot on, but not in a good way (MB/AMG are not thinking on our safety but on their eventual liability)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MTrauman

348sstb,

I don’t dislike you (I don’t know you) but from post 1 until now it seems like you are missing some common sense. I find it hard to believe you don’t get any speeding tickets. Hell, I try hard to follow all speed limit laws even in Germany. And I just paid my approximate $75 ticket on the German Autobahn from my European Delivery trip of my ‘19 S63 going from an unlimited section of the Autobahn to 130 KMH limited section. With your mindset I almost guarantee you will receive a speeding ticket in Stuttgart since they have cameras that take your picture everywhere.

I simply caution you if you do go on a Euro Delivery trip that you don’t take a ticket in Germany.
So here is how I reply to your assessment.

I’ve been very fortunate to have been driving in Europe since 1997 and I’ve got about 20,000 miles of seat time on European roads. My brother and I took annual summer trips across Germany in cars which we shipped to Amsterdam and then drove to our home in France via Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. In fact we shipped a car to Europe (usually a 996 or 997 Porsche 911 turbo, and sometimes another car to join) every year from 1998 until 2010. I haven’t done the Germany thing in a few years now, and I thought European delivery of an E53 would be a great idea. However, I certainly wouldn’t want to be limited to 130mph given my experience. I like the E53’s technology and all that it offers for a reasonable daily driver that doesn’t drink gasoline.

I haven’t received a speeding ticket since 2003 anywhere as a result of being careful and some good luck. If you don’t believe it, well then I don’t know what to tell you. Anyway, I’m pretty careful in Europe, as these days are not quite like the old days. But thanks for your caution, and I’m not being sarcastic. The cameras in Europe have become killer.

My mindset is to go as fast as possible in Germany when there’s no speed limit. Because it’s fun. Beyond that, I’m quite careful and well seasoned with European culture and especially their driving culture, which is very different from ours.

I assure you my sense and experience are quite uncommon, but I never lost the sense of maintaining common sense throughout my experience.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-10-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

Thanks for your post. Just to respond to the second part, I am not desirous of getting it tuned. I don’t want to void the warranty. I also don’t enjoy paying lawyers at their rates and especially not in
the absence of a matter that would present a requirement for legal services.
why don't you write to Tobias moers and ask him to engage in a dialogue about this?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

why don't you write to Tobias moers and ask him to engage in a dialogue about this?
Seems a good idea. I hadn’t thought of it. I do doubt he would engage me in any meaningful way, but maybe it’s worth a try.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW 335I / E43 AMG
Holy crap , what a bunch of haters in here. I personally own a E43. It does not have the handcrafted engine but if you check underneath the car you will see that almost all suspension components are AMG parts.
So cut the crap that it's just a AMG badged car . It is not .

Not everybody lives in the USA , in certain countries in Europe you get taxed on the power and the Co2 the car makes , hence why a 43 or 53 is the (better) choice there. There was a 60K difference for me between a 43 or 63 , i'm not going to pay that just to get a handcrafted engine.

If AMG says its a AMG , then it's a AMG. Bunch of *******.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Funkmob
Holy crap , what a bunch of haters in here. I personally own a E43. It does not have the handcrafted engine but if you check underneath the car you will see that almost all suspension components are AMG parts.
So cut the crap that it's just a AMG badged car . It is not .

Not everybody lives in the USA , in certain countries in Europe you get taxed on the power and the Co2 the car makes , hence why a 43 or 53 is the (better) choice there. There was a 60K difference for me between a 43 or 63 , i'm not going to pay that just to get a handcrafted engine.

If AMG says its a AMG , then it's a AMG. Bunch of *******.
Yes of course if AMG says it is an AMG it is an AMG. However, within the AMG product line there is becoming a distinction as they “watered down” what has traditionally been an AMG. Ok some may not like the term watered down but from traditional standards that is true. Now moving forward what happens when there is no more ICE engines and they are all electric. AMG can not emphasize one man one engine as much anymore but for those of us that bought into the one man one engine idea it is something to debate and think about. Especially since when I was on the AMG engine line talking to engine builders and testers in November 2018 they are still emphasizing the fact that a handcrafted motor has better designed pistons, rods, crankshafts, etc over the production built AMG enhanced motors. So all this is debatable but the fact remains that there is a big difference in the ENGINE of a handcrafted motor compared to the AMG enhanced motor.

The following users liked this post:
techno_violet (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by tonecas
If it was to play by the rules, obeying to the law and placing safety issues above else - including personal liberty and liability to do whatever one wants - then every street legal car should be limited to 130 or 140 kmh, because most countries across the world have speed limits below this. Even Germany has just some sections of autobahns with unrestricted speed limits, and even then if you crash your car above 250kmh and that can be proved then the insurance company may void its coverage.

So all of these limits, excuses and shortcuts are false moralities and essentially marketing stuff. Going on an highway at 250kmh on an E63S it's a hell more safe than doing 120kmh on a 90's mini. It is even safer than going at speed limits with today's most average cars. More stable, with more security features, and more breaking power. Yes, blowing a tire at 250 it's still more dangerous than at 120 but let's not hide ourselves behind false reasons.

As I see it, these are marketing moves or simply lack of confidence on their expertise. In the case of the E63s the limit at 300 kmh seems to me to be the later case. When you have BMW, Porsche and other brands going above this without having to use a hard suspension or recourse to meaningful negative cambers then the security excuse seems to be spot on, but not in a good way (MB/AMG are not thinking on our safety but on their eventual liability)
You had already mentioned it previously, 250km/h (around 155mph) was the self-imposed speed limit by all major German manufacturers. Porsche excluded themselves from it because they were in the sport car business and they were a small nice manufacturer at the time (pre-SUV).
This is true also for most AMG's unless they get unlocked either by model or package but 155mph in the minimum speed limit for any AMG, even the tiny A35.

What is puzzling is that some here on the forum assume that the E53 is not a REAL AMG because it is limited to 130mph. The E53 is limited to 155mph outside the US and has likely an approximate speed limit of around 175-180mph when unlocked. This is all anyone needs to know when re. AMG's

The core of this whole thread has really nothing to do with AMG but the stupidity of MB restricting their cars to 130mph when all of them (even the bottom CLA 250) will go faster. There is no official answer; my assumption is simply lawyers trying to limit liability, reduced wear for warranty purposes and flexibility to swap tire brands/types without requiring any tests/homologation, etc.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5

With a 130mph top speed limiter, I won’t do it. What a disgrace that an AMG car (with 9 speeds!!!) like the E53 doesn’t make it to at least 155mph.

The real AMG cars are the 63's no?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by NickyBlack
The real AMG cars are the 63's no?
Did they make AMG cars in 1963?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Did they make AMG cars in 1963?
What? Did I miss something?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:36 PM

What? Did I miss something?
It’s a joke. He was obviously kidding with me to start with.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Glad to see you can laugh since most of your points have been a bit to serious!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Looks like the real AMGs are 63s based on what AMGs magazine is entitled.

Looks like AMG is saying the real AMGs are 63s since their magazines is the 63 magazine!

Last edited by MTrauman; 02-10-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Looks like the real AMGs are 63s based on what AMGs magazine is entitled.

Looks like AMG is saying the real AMGs are 63s since their magazines is the 63 magazine!

I will feel bad for the magazine when the 63's will go away
Joking aside; this will happen sooner than later. Like the 55, these number always started with an engine and the 6.3 is long history and with new hybrid models coming in (73) and EV's. Give it 3-4 years max...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I will feel bad for the magazine when the 63's will go away
Joking aside; this will happen sooner than later. Like the 55, these number always started with an engine and the 6.3 is long history and with new hybrid models coming in (73) and EV's. Give it 3-4 years max...
Agreed! AMG and the auto industry is in the midst of change👍
Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The core of this whole thread has really nothing to do with AMG but the stupidity of MB restricting their cars to 130mph when all of them (even the bottom CLA 250) will go faster. There is no official answer; my assumption is simply lawyers trying to limit liability, reduced wear for warranty purposes and flexibility to swap tire brands/types without requiring any tests/homologation, etc.
+1

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tonecas
+1
+1

Yea Toneca’s was a great post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2019 E53 disgrace — 130mph top speed electronically limited in US