MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   New Dashboard Icon showed up (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/737067-new-dashboard-icon-showed-up.html)

Michael Khan 02-27-2019 12:37 PM

New Dashboard Icon showed up

I left my house this morning and the car was in comfort mode and saw a engine logo with the number 4 on my digital dash. What exactly is this? Is this the icon showing me the car shut down a cylinder bank for fuel economy when the car is on eco mode. First time I noticed it.

izzy63 02-27-2019 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Khan (Post 7692299)
I left my house this morning and the car was in comfort mode and saw a engine logo with the number 4 on my digital dash. What exactly is this? Is this the icon showing me the car shut down a cylinder bank for fuel economy when the car is on eco mode. First time I noticed it.

Yup, 4 cylinder mode.

Mandarin 02-27-2019 12:58 PM

Better do not exceed 30mph and visit a dealer.

just kidding. This is a part of the start/stop system that allows you to save gas on a freeway and cut off 4 cylinders.

Read the manual, please. :zoom:

bobblehead 02-27-2019 01:14 PM

it means you are clear to takeoff on runway 4 :)

Pioneer222 02-27-2019 01:29 PM

I like seeing that symbol when I am trying to balance out the universe and the time I spent in Sport or Sport plus mode... Next best icon to see is the sailboat, for "glide" mode!

cyclrder 02-27-2019 06:08 PM

It only works when the economy or auto shutoff is on (every time you start the car) ... took me a while to figure it out as that button is the first one that I hit just after the exhaust!

Dunga 02-27-2019 08:58 PM

Yup. What they all said. Pops up on and off during my drive home from the dealer. Haven’t experimented much but in my GLE63S putting it in sport or sport + disable auto stop start so I wonder if this would disable the 4 cyclinder mode in our Es. It was rather seemless I have to say.

whoover 02-27-2019 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dunga (Post 7692778)
Yup. What they all said. Pops up on and off during my drive home from the dealer. Haven’t experimented much but in my GLE63S putting it in sport or sport + disable auto stop start so I wonder if this would disable the 4 cyclinder mode in our Es. It was rather seemless I have to say.

Yep, you have to be in C for it to go to four-cylinders. We call it the "wife is driving icon."

Dunga 02-27-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7692834)
Yep, you have to be in C for it to go to four-cylinders. We call it the "wife is driving icon."

lmao!!

aoschadlin 02-27-2019 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer222 (Post 7692337)
I like seeing that symbol when I am trying to balance out the universe and the time I spent in Sport or Sport plus mode... Next best icon to see is the sailboat, for "glide" mode!

I have never seen this Glide icon you speak of. I'm wondering if it may in fact be my driving style?

e55phil 02-28-2019 03:25 AM

Mpg

I wonder if the mpg goes up in 4 cylinder mode?

E634Me 02-28-2019 03:55 AM

I believe it is to reduce both fuel consumption and emissions.

Sadly, the 4 cylinder mode does not activate reliably when cruise control is engaged, same for coasting mode.

Pioneer222 02-28-2019 04:05 AM

On Glide: Remembering my read of the manual, I think you have to be in Individual mode, with the auto start/ stop enabled.. In a scenario such as driving on a road and letting completely off the accelerator to anticipate a stop or merge etc, the drive train/trans will disconnect from the engine and glide, further reducing fuel consumption. if you accelerate or brake, drive train will be enabled ending glide. Amazing how smooth these transitions are... In glide, depending on your dash layout, and options you are scrolled on you will see a sail boat icon pop up. I often see one near E, I, P, R icons are for the trans settings. But it sometime will say "Glide Mode" across the Trip functions if you are on the MPG tracker/ scale view.

Mandarin 02-28-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer222 (Post 7692964)
On Glide: Remembering my read of the manual, I think you have to be in Individual mode, with the auto start/ stop enabled.. In a scenario such as driving on a road and letting completely off the accelerator to anticipate a stop or merge etc, the drive train/trans will disconnect from the engine and glide, further reducing fuel consumption. if you accelerate or brake, drive train will be enabled ending glide. Amazing how smooth these transitions are... In glide, depending on your dash layout, and options you are scrolled on you will see a sail boat icon pop up. I often see one near E, I, P, R icons are for the trans settings. But it sometime will say "Glide Mode" across the Trip functions if you are on the MPG tracker/ scale view.

works for me only in comfy mode

whoover 02-28-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7693800)
works for me only in comfy mode

Odd. I've never seen it in C mode, only I mode like the book says. V4 icon in C but Sailboat in I. Maybe a 2019 thing?

Pioneer222 03-01-2019 09:41 AM

I tried to go to glide on C on the way to work and it will not go to glide in my normal glide parts of my commute. I will stick to I mode - as for me I have it set to be the same as comfy mode, but with flaps open. simple enough. Thanks!

bobblehead 03-01-2019 09:51 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e466ccaf4b.jpg

sailboat icon ? odd ! ... My dash shows only this one on all my modes ... Hmmm. :)

Mandarin 03-02-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7693927)
Odd. I've never seen it in C mode, only I mode like the book says. V4 icon in C but Sailboat in I. Maybe a 2019 thing?

it depends on what settings you are using for "I" mode. Mine "I" mode is "no excuses mode" and everything is in "sport+" because I'm too lazy to switch modes all the way down to "sport+".

Make sure that the "start/stop" system is "on" while you are in comfy mode and transmission is in "D" - not manual. Then go to a freeway (or any roads that you can drive 35mph and over) with a slight downhill and push your acceleration pedal not too hard but let it go faster sharply than release the gas pedal and it should go into "sailboat" mode. Also, you should not have anyone ahead of your car because distronic is checking road and if there is any car ahead too close will not allow to "slide". Also, do not touch the brake.

whoover 03-15-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7695228)
it depends on what settings you are using for "I" mode. Mine "I" mode is "no excuses mode" and everything is in "sport+" because I'm too lazy to switch modes all the way down to "sport+".

Make sure that the "start/stop" system is "on" while you are in comfy mode and transmission is in "D" - not manual. Then go to a freeway (or any roads that you can drive 35mph and over) with a slight downhill and push your acceleration pedal not too hard but let it go faster sharply than release the gas pedal and it should go into "sailboat" mode. Also, you should not have anyone ahead of your car because distronic is checking road and if there is any car ahead too close will not allow to "slide". Also, do not touch the brake.

Nope. I've done a lot of experimenting over another 1,000 miles and my car will only go into Sailboat if it's in I. Of course, I must be set to C settings. In I configured the same as C, I get the Sailboat icon (replacing "9" with a Performance display that shows current gear) when I let off the gas on the freeway. It's very easy to trigger. In C, it never does.

This matches what my book states. It's actually kind of odd because the kind of driver who really cares about mileage (I'm thinking about my wife) never reads the manual (I'm thinking about my wife) and would never discover the kind of arcane setting. The reason it's so hard to get to is that on all other models, even the E53, there's an E mode that enables coasting (Sailboat). When they did away with E on the E63 they obviously forgot that they orphaned coast mode. The I-set-like-C hack is what a typical programmer would dream up.

If people really see Sailboat in C, it must be a function of a different version of management coding. But on mine, it won't coast in C.

cjmk1982 03-15-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7706430)
Nope. I've done a lot of experimenting over another 1,000 miles and my car will only go into Sailboat if it's in I. Of course, I must be set to C settings. In I configured the same as C, I get the Sailboat icon (replacing "9" with a Performance display that shows current gear) when I let off the gas on the freeway. It's very easy to trigger. In C, it never does.

This matches what my book states. It's actually kind of odd because the kind of driver who really cares about mileage (I'm thinking about my wife) never reads the manual (I'm thinking about my wife) and would never discover the kind of arcane setting. The reason it's so hard to get to is that on all other models, even the E53, there's an E mode that enables coasting (Sailboat). When they did away with E on the E63 they obviously forgot that they orphaned coast mode. The I-set-like-C hack is what a typical programmer would dream up.

If people really see Sailboat in C, it must be a function of a different version of management coding. But on mine, it won't coast in C.

My car shows a sailboat in C for sure

E634Me 03-16-2019 02:31 PM

I think it depends on the gauge configuration. I use progressive typically, and when not doing anything interesting have the left side of the display set up to show the trip info with instantaneous/average fuel economy. In that mode the sailboat doesn't show on the bottom of the screen that I've noticed. Rather, "Gliding Mode" is displayed in the left hand display in the trip info by the fuel consumption bar.

Mandarin 03-16-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7706430)

I said it depends on your settings.

Every morning while I'm doing my commute on the freeway to the work I'm driving in "C" mode and almost 1/2 of the way I'm driving in "Sailboat" mode cause driving down from the hill in the toll lane. btw I've never tried to launch sailboat mode in any different modes besides "C".

Have no idea what's broken in your car.

whoover 03-16-2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7707103)
I said it depends on your settings.

Every morning while I'm doing my commute on the freeway to the work I'm driving in "C" mode and almost 1/2 of the way I'm driving in "Sailboat" mode cause driving down from the hill in the toll lane. btw I've never tried to launch sailboat mode in any different modes besides "C".

Have no idea what's broken in your car.

Since the behavior matches the manual, I don't think anything's broken. Sounds more like a engine management change in later builds.

It's also pretty neat how it's smart about not coasting on a down grade that's steep enough to need engine braking. I live on a mountain road and don't see the sailboat when heading down. It only coasts on gentle slopes or flat roads. But it most definitely does it consistently in I and not in C.

Mandarin 03-16-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7707117)
Since the behavior matches the manual, I don't think anything's broken. Sounds more like a engine management change in later builds.

It's also pretty neat how it's smart about not coasting on a down grade that's steep enough to need engine braking. I live on a mountain road and don't see the sailboat when heading down. It only coasts on gentle slopes or flat roads. But it most definitely does it consistently in I and not in C.

What's build date for your car?

whoover 03-16-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7707120)
What's build date for your car?

December 2018.