Sponsored by:

Rear Collision...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Angry Rear Collision...

So my baby was unfortunately involved in a traffic accident this evening. Was on a local parkway on a dead stop in traffic and had some kids that were coming around the corner probably doing 100mph+. Realized traffic was a dead stop, tried to brake, hit a bump, flipped their vehicle and then it collided with the back-end of my car probably doing close to 50mph while it was sideways.

My initial thoughts were that the E63 absorbed the impact quite well. My second thoughts were thank god its a lease and I don’t have to deal with the resale value, lol.

I will post some pics up tomorrow in better light of the actual damage, but does anyone have an idea of if they even have body parts for the 19 available? All of the rear carbon fiber and black gloss is ruined, the exhaust tips are also all scuffed up. What are the chances of them totaling a rear collision like this if the frame has been compromised in any way? My fear is now this is gonna go into the shop and sit there for months until they can source all the proper body parts to fix it.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
I’m sorry to hear and so glad you’re ok. Metal can be replaced. People don’t pay attention on the road unfortunately.

If there is frame damage there’s a good chance it’ll be totaled. There was a post on corvette forum of a guy that had picked up his car, brand new and hit a bad pot hole that left a tiny crack in his frame. Insurance totaled that car. If there’s is no frame damage, the next thing is to make sure the drivetrain isn’t affected and this is where the fact that our exhaust tips aren’t “real” maybe beneficial since the actual exhaust tip is further in.

If all that that is intact, a good body shop should put her back together no problem and like you said at least you’re leasing.

Good of luck with it all.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 PM

Here’s the link to that Corvette story.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-a-cor...-of-1806727930
The following 2 users liked this post by Dunga:
amgcb (03-11-2019), techno_violet (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Glad to hear you are OK.

Last year while on travel for work I was sitting at a light in Washington, D.C. in the back seat of a Washington Flyer airport taxi about two blocks from the hotel in D.C. after just arriving in town. We were in a Prius and the car that struck us was a DC city taxi, also a Prius. The taxi that hit us never touched the brakes, just plowed into us doing about 35 mph. Our car was stopped just short of the crosswalk and the light was red long enough that pedestrians were crossing the road in front of us. Our car was shoved through the cross walk out into the intersection, clipping two pedestrians, one of which needed transport to the hospital for a leg injury, but who otherwise seemed OK.

I had been leaning a bit forward and as a result had some whiplash and needed some follow up therapy for a while. Thank goodness for head rests. Others in the car were OK.

Given that experience, I'd have hated to be hit at 50 mph. That you're OK says a lot for the Mercedes.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
'19 E63s
Looks like it was a bad day for some E63s'. I was driving through an intersection with a solid green light but a lady going the other way decided to turn in front of me, ignoring her YIELD green light. I give a lot of credit to the E63s. I was able to crawl out of the passenger side with just bloody knuckles and a bloody nose.

I don't think even my car had time to expect the accident and auto-brake. I remember seeing the front grill of the Cadillac SUV, saying "sh*t", feeling rage, hearing a loud crash, and then spinning. All three of my airbags deployed.

Stopped by BMW two hours later, still with bloody knuckles, to test drive the M5.

Car ordered in April, received in November, died in March. Just pissed at having to spend time and figure out how to get the car I want, E63s or M5, without having to wait for months.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 AM

This is just awful. I’m sorry for the poor car and glad you walked away from it. Just terrible.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Originally Posted by honeybadger15
Looks like it was a bad day for some E63s'. I was driving through an intersection with a solid green light but a lady going the other way decided to turn in front of me, ignoring her YIELD green light. I give a lot of credit to the E63s. I was able to crawl out of the passenger side with just bloody knuckles and a bloody nose.

I don't think even my car had time to expect the accident and auto-brake. I remember seeing the front grill of the Cadillac SUV, saying "sh*t", feeling rage, hearing a loud crash, and then spinning. All three of my airbags deployed.

Stopped by BMW two hours later, still with bloody knuckles, to test drive the M5.

Car ordered in April, received in November, died in March. Just pissed at having to spend time and figure out how to get the car I want, E63s or M5, without having to wait for months.

Wow. Glad you are OK man, that wreck is a lot worse than my vehicle! I think thats the worst part about all of this is you spec something you want, wait ages for it, then it gets ruined not even 6 months later, but in the end they are only hunks of metal and glad everyone is OK. I definitely stand by MB after getting whacked last night. However they construct their body is great. Before I emerged from my car I expected the trunk to be in the back seat.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Terrible! I'm glad you were able to walk away from the accident, because the physics behind being hit by an SUV don't weigh (literally) in our favor with the lower stance.

Just glad you and amgcb are OK. Good luck in the recovery and replacement.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
This thread should really remind us how fortunate we are to actually drive a brand that is seriously safe. As someone already mentioned with the collision with an SUV and a 4 door Sedan in the early 90's that would of been catastrophic. Not the case today. Drive safe everyone, and hope the fellow MB owners make out OK on the accidents.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Thankfully everyone is ok and I know these cars are safe but why is the window 1/4 down? I thought they rolled up during an impact.
Stay safe!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Glad you walked away OK, more or less,

That'll buff right out . . .

J/K Sad to see a fellow Selenite Grey Magno car damaged. I see some deformation along the A-pillar and the roof line along with the obvious. No doubt the damage is more extensive than just the front end area. Still, might make an interesting salvage for a potential track day car :-).
Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM

'19 E63s
Not sure why that window is down. I'm pretty positive I was driving with my windows up. Maybe I accidentally hit the down button during my daze trying to get out.

In the end, it's just a car and I'm glad to be only a little beaten up. Insurance adjuster saw it today and said as of now it's $50k worth of damage and not totaled - but I showed pictures to the owner of a local high-end body shop and he laughed at the figure and said it will be totaled.

Here's a picture of the other side.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Totaled without the doubt. Walking away without injury proved the car was worth the money! Glad you are OK
Old 03-12-2019, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
I am laughing at the adjuster’s comment as well. It will be totaled. In 2015 my 2014 S550 4matic was totaled by the insurance company. When they loaded my car onto the flat bed I asked the tow truck guy to send my car to a specific body shop. He laughed at me and said he has been towing cars for 30 years and he guaranteed me my car was totaled. He was correct. They stopped counting the damage on my car when it reached $50k. The insurance company paid me $96k at the time and I believe they sold my car at a salvage auction for about $45k.

I will fall off my chair if your car is not totaled. The first thing I told the adjuster when he looked at my car is that they better total it since I will get rid of it after I get it back and attempt to recover the loss in value due to the fact that it was in an accident. My accident happened on a Wednesday night, the insurance company looked at the car Thursday morning, I talked to the adjuster Thursday afternoon and on Friday they paid me $96k. I think that is quicker than most people settle I believe but this insurance company knew their numbers on the S Class and knew what they could get for it at a salvage auction.

By th way, in my accident my sunroof and windows were open and the sunroof closed partially and the window rolled up most of the way. So your window may have opened a crack to let the airbag dust ventilate.

Not sure why that window is down. I'm pretty positive I was driving with my windows up. Maybe I accidentally hit the down button during my daze trying to get out.

In the end, it's just a car and I'm glad to be only a little beaten up. Insurance adjuster saw it today and said as of now it's $50k worth of damage and not totaled - but I showed pictures to the owner of a local high-end body shop and he laughed at the figure and said it will be totaled.

Here's a picture of the other side.

Last edited by MTrauman; 03-12-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by MTrauman
So your window may have opened a crack to let the airbag dust ventilate.
This is probably true but I wonder if they roll up for the actual wreck and then roll back down slightly to let the dust out. Just curious because I've always read that some cars roll up the windows and close the roof to help keep the occupants inside the car. Possibly another great safety feature. Again glad everyone is ok and it shows how well these cars are built!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
100% TOTALED adjuster should find another line of work. Any time you walk away from that not injured you should thank G_d the Mercedes engineers are some of the best in the world if not the best.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

This is from my accident of my ‘14 S550 4matic in 2015 just after smacking a tree at 60 mph with the sunroof open. The sunroof partially closed just before impact with a tree and lots of brush.

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
This is probably true but I wonder if they roll up for the actual wreck and then roll back down slightly to let the dust out. Just curious because I've always read that some cars roll up the windows and close the roof to help keep the occupants inside the car. Possibly another great safety feature. Again glad everyone is ok and it shows how well these cars are built!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries
100% TOTALED adjuster should find another line of work. Any time you walk away from that not injured you should thank G_d the Mercedes engineers are some of the best in the world if not the best.
The engine alone (clearly damaged) is over $50k. Again, glad you're OK. Terrible accident.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Maybe time to try a wagon? Could probably get into one of those without too much of a wait . . . ;-)

I paid a bit extra for replacement cost on my insurance. Not sure how long that runs after purchase, but this scenario had me pretty worried. Waited for over a year for the car to be released, then a while longer for the order books to open, and finally to get the car on order and eventually delivered. To have it totaled and then to go through all that again really sucks.

There should be an extra compensation item on the damages from another party when they do something stupid that costs another driver months of lost time.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM

'19 E63s
Just stopped by the body shop. They agreed it’s totaled. Even the trunk lid touched the body during impact. Police report confirmed the other driver was solely responsible for the accident.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Yeah, someone needs to look for a new line of work if their first thought is that the car wouldn't be a complete write-off.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
Originally Posted by E634Me
Last year while on travel for work I was sitting at a light in Washington, D.C. in the back seat of a Washington Flyer airport taxi about two blocks from the hotel in D.C. after just arriving in town. We were in a Prius and the car that struck us was a DC city taxi, also a Prius. The taxi that hit us never touched the brakes, just plowed into us doing about 35 mph.
Welcome to DC. That sounds about right. We have the worst taxis and Uber drivers in the United States.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 S

jesus! glad you're OK, and perhaps you should allow your good health to convince you from turning to the dark side.

also RIP that lady's insurance rates...
Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by internet
jesus! glad you're OK, and perhaps you should allow your good health to convince you from turning to the dark side.

also RIP that lady's insurance rates...
Hoping for her sake she has good enough insurance. She needs to pay friggin’ attention. She could have killed him.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
It's amazing how easily these cars are totaled.

I had a minor collision in my E63S. A car swiped the front of my car at a T junction. Only external body parts needing replacement or repair were front bumper and right headlight. No structural damage. No airbags. It didn't even trigger the Mercedes Assist Call. The fenders, hood, left headlight were untouched. But the repair bill was over $20k because of all the electronics for DRIVEPILOT inside the front bumper. A similar accident in my Lexus 12 years ago cost $1200 to repair.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 03-15-2019 at 09:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Collision...