MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W213 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg-214/)
-   -   If not e63s then what else? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/741933-if-not-e63s-then-what-else.html)

cjmk1982 04-15-2019 11:11 PM

If not e63s then what else?

What would you say is comparable to e63s or better? Ride quality, sound, drive, looks etc. I've been so in love with my e63s that I never thought to replace her with anything else but seeing that I need a car and not having any luck finding a replacement for her. I might have no choice to look at different brands. Any feedbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dunga 04-16-2019 03:11 AM

I saw your other post and it’s absolutely heart wrenching. Glad no one got hurt. I’d say for similar money an M5/M5 comp is your direct obvious competitor. Audi is currently transitioning to the C8 gen so it’ll be a while before their RS6/7s go on sale. The flip side of it is you can get a ridiculous deal on a CPO RS7 performance and save a few bucks and drive it till you’re bored of it. A Porsche Panamera turbo is a little pricier brand new, but plenty of used ones out there and I think the second gen looks really nice. That’s probably all the direct comps you’d have right now at least priced wothin reach if your E63.

Good luck.

Slugsy 04-16-2019 03:56 AM

If you don’t need a wagon then M5.

E63guy 04-16-2019 10:03 AM

I would add the Porsche Panamera Turbo (or Turbo S e-Hybrid) to the list. It's available as a 4-door coupe, or in Sport Turismo form which is more wagon/shooting brake style.

Note that there are a fair number of still-new (and also super low mileage CPO) 2018 Sport Turismos on dealer lots with dealers *extremely* motivated to move them. I'm talking easily getting $40k+ off MSRP. So those $175k-210k stickers become much, much lower than that in practice. Ask me how I know ;)

Note that even with the sport exhaust engaged, the Panny still doesn't have the visceral growl of the E63S, but I find it far more refined and luxurious while still being an absolute beast.

This is a stock photo, but same color and wheels as mine:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...df7c792826.jpg

In case you're interested, here's a link to a nationwide search for Turbos, Turbo S, in both regular and Sport Turismo style:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

It's how I found mine.

amgcb 04-16-2019 10:22 AM

+1 for the panny turbo. If I had to do it over again thats what I'd be buying.

MTV10 04-16-2019 10:23 AM

I am absolutely in love with the look of the Sport Turismo

jkob5 04-16-2019 10:43 AM

What spec are you looking for? If you loved it, order a new one.

Mandarin 04-16-2019 11:04 AM

If you got money then take a look at Panamera Sport Turismo or Urus.

You can also take a look at AMG GLC63 SUV.

All these three if you need one car as a daily and performance.

Carac 04-16-2019 02:28 PM

Kinda of a different thing but I've always wanted a G-Wagen...but everytime I'd drive one it would alleviate the feeling. Not so with the new one. A new G63 is probably the only other thing on sale I have eyes for.
I just can't justify the cost of a Sport Turismo trim that competes with the E63 in both performance and tech features. I had to spec one to $200k to get it comparable to my wagon.

Vic55 04-16-2019 02:48 PM

get out and drive them all.... great options to have.

Here is my pre purchase comparo of my E63S and a borrowed F90 m5 (which I ended up getting):

Click it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...side-pics.html

cjmk1982 04-16-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jkob5 (Post 7733377)
What spec are you looking for? If you loved it, order a new one.

I would order a new one, but then I just don't want to wait that long for it. She was Selenite Grey Metallic with black interior and carbon fiber trim. Upgraded everything except for the Night Package, Performance seats, and carbon brakes. Been searching everywhere and cant find another just like her...

cjmk1982 04-16-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by E63guy (Post 7733339)
I would add the Porsche Panamera Turbo (or Turbo S e-Hybrid) to the list. It's available as a 4-door coupe, or in Sport Turismo form which is more wagon/shooting brake style.

Note that there are a fair number of still-new (and also super low mileage CPO) 2018 Sport Turismos on dealer lots with dealers *extremely* motivated to move them. I'm talking easily getting $40k+ off MSRP. So those $175k-210k stickers become much, much lower than that in practice. Ask me how I know ;)

Note that even with the sport exhaust engaged, the Panny still doesn't have the visceral growl of the E63S, but I find it far more refined and luxurious while still being an absolute beast.

This is a stock photo, but same color and wheels as mine:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...df7c792826.jpg

In case you're interested, here's a link to a nationwide search for Turbos, Turbo S, in both regular and Sport Turismo style:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

It's how I found mine.

That does look nice. Got me thinking for sure.

Mandarin 04-16-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjmk1982 (Post 7733581)
I would order a new one, but then I just don't want to wait that long for it. She was Selenite Grey Metallic with black interior and carbon fiber trim. Upgraded everything except for the Night Package, Performance seats, and carbon brakes. Been searching everywhere and cant find another just like her...

I just opened car gurus and there are a ton of cars with that spec. If you don't want to travel I'm sure a good dealer will take care of you and you'll get your new car.

cjmk1982 04-16-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarin (Post 7733599)
I just opened car gurus and there are a ton of cars with that spec. If you don't want to travel I'm sure a good dealer will take care of you and you'll get your new car.

Ive been checking all over and car gurus as well, but couldn't find one exactly the same. Wrong color, wrong interior trim, or missing options and so on...

jkob5 04-16-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjmk1982 (Post 7733581)

You can order and wait a few months, you can get something now that's pretty close, or you can get something else. It's pretty simple, but don't get a different car you won't be happy with. In 2 months you could have had your exact car again....

Just some outside perspective.... Things could be much worse for you than waiting a couple of months.

cjmk1982 04-16-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jkob5 (Post 7733651)
You can order and wait a few months, you can get something now that's pretty close, or you can get something else. It's pretty simple, but don't get a different car you won't be happy with. In 2 months you could have had your exact car again....

Just some outside perspective.... Things could be much worse for you than waiting a couple of months.

Yeah you're right. I loved that car and I really dont want to settle so I guess I need to be patient. It's just so freaking crap that I'm having to go through this bs because of someone else. Arghhhhhhgggg

Carac 04-17-2019 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by cjmk1982 (Post 7733842)
Yeah you're right. I loved that car and I really dont want to settle so I guess I need to be patient. It's just so freaking crap that I'm having to go through this bs because of someone else. Arghhhhhhgggg

Since it's going to be about 7 months until the 2020s go on sale you could always look to pickup a short term lease from someone trying to get out of the last few months of theirs somewhere like swapalease.com.

Wolfman 04-17-2019 02:29 AM

Happy that nobody was injured!
Did a quick check w.local dealers. Nothing exact like yours unfortunately but somewhat equally equipped in Mpls. 5 new E63s' in town, 2 wagons. There should be good discounts on all of them.

rustybear3 04-17-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Carac (Post 7733990)
Since it's going to be about 7 months until the 2020s go on sale you could always look to pickup a short term lease from someone trying to get out of the last few months of theirs somewhere like swapalease.com.

:ditto: This is a good idea. That way you don't have to settle for less than you have now. Don't know if you have another ride, but if not, this could work. Nothing like outfitting a new E63 to your liking.

By the way, how did your Insurance handle this? My insurance with automatically upgrade your vehicle payout one year up if you total it.

19E63s 04-17-2019 10:57 AM

M5, or Turbo Panamera.

CanuckE63 04-17-2019 11:48 AM

Panamera Wagon Turbo for sure if you can splurge a bit more. Get a lightly used one for almost the same as new for E63S as long as you're not getting ceramic brakes.
Looks better, more luxurious, quieter, better handling, nicer interior.... It's a personal choice though, both are great vehicles.

tonecas 04-17-2019 12:29 PM

Hard to decide. M5 is the better value, but lacks the looks, interior and exterior wise, and the grawl and overall engine aggressiveness.

Porsche panamera turbo (s e-hybrid) has the quality and refinement but lacks the grawl and engine aggressiveness and it is bulky as hell.

Mandarin 04-17-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cjmk1982 (Post 7733636)
Ive been checking all over and car gurus as well, but couldn't find one exactly the same. Wrong color, wrong interior trim, or missing options and so on...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=236700086

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=226047735

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=225365121

and others, just make deeper search man, you will find your new toy.

PeterUbers 04-17-2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cjmk1982 (Post 7733842)

your buddy must feel horrible ... I mean it cost him $1000 and you're upset too

E63guy 04-18-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tonecas (Post 7734308)
Hard to decide. M5 is the better value, but lacks the looks, interior and exterior wise, and the grawl and overall engine aggressiveness.

Porsche panamera turbo (s e-hybrid) has the quality and refinement but lacks the grawl and engine aggressiveness and it is bulky as hell.

Yeah as I mentioned above, even with Sport Exhaust engaged, the Panamera Turbo doesn't have the alarm-triggering, neighbor-pissing-off engine sound (though maybe that's not always a bad thing...) but as for the bulk I will say that the Rear Wheel Steering works wonders and makes it super easy to maneuver in and out of tight spots. Really shrinks the car. And at speed, it's the kind of vehicle that feels like a smaller and smaller car the harder you push it. But there's no two ways about it: it's a big car.

Granted it's not for everyone, but I absolutely love mine.