W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we know what the changes for the 2020 E63S will be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Do we know what the changes for the 2020 E63S will be?

Might as well get this thread going if it hasn't already been done yet.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
The Performance Exhaust System is standard.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
From the 2020 DOG

Old 07-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
The Performance Exhaust System is standard.
Really as it should be on this kind of car. I guess this won’t be a facelift then with these few changes.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dunga
Really as it should be on this kind of car. I guess this won’t be a facelift then with these few changes.
they should refund everybody that paid $1,250 for it previously :P

there are some talks of updating the f90 m5 iDrive system. interesting to see how ours has stayed the same from 2017 - 2020?
The following users liked this post:
6G Schnell (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
they should refund everybody that paid $1,250 for it previously :P

there are some talks of updating the f90 m5 iDrive system. interesting to see how ours has stayed the same from 2017 - 2020?
Lol I hear ya! Getting money back from manufacturers is tight!

On a serious note, I read on a thread here a couple of weeks ago that the infotainment system was actually quite different in the ‘18 models depending on the build date, as in later builds got a more updated system with some hardware and software features that weren’t possible on the older system. Wasn’t paying too much attention since mine’s a ‘19 but still that is technically an update, isn’t it?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG E63S Wagon, 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
When my 2019 order turned into a 2020 I was kinda bummed. But if the 2020's come with the AMG Drive Unit buttons, then I'm kinda happy.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol I hear ya! Getting money back from manufacturers is tight!

On a serious note, I read on a thread here a couple of weeks ago that the infotainment system was actually quite different in the ‘18 models depending on the build date, as in later builds got a more updated system with some hardware and software features that weren’t possible on the older system. Wasn’t paying too much attention since mine’s a ‘19 but still that is technically an update, isn’t it?
don’t you agree that... the infotainment system could be better?

it’s 2019. we have doctors doing remote surgeries with lasers from 5,000 miles away, and it takes 45 seconds for my phone to start playing music?

different levels of accepted tolerance i guess lol
Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 PM

it’s 2019. we have doctors doing remote surgeries with lasers from 5,000 miles away, and it takes 45 seconds for my phone to start playing music?

I do agree it’s far from perfect. Their year to year updates leave quite a bit to be desired to be honest. Even GM adds a couple of colors and takes away bottom low sellers with their Vette production each year. I personally can’t see why the designo leather interior you get on the E450, you know the two tone brown/white thing is not an option on the more upmarket E63. I would have picked that for my wagon. But here we are. I guess you could custom spec anything you want interior and exterior and give Mercedes Benz a suitcase full of money to do it, and they’ll oblige.
The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

> I personally can’t see why the designo leather interior you get on the E450, you know the two tone brown/white thing is not an option on the more upmarket E63.

Let me go a step in a different direction.

The audio system you get in an E63 is the same you get in an E450 unless you get the upgrade. Do you think that's bad or not really?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:51 PM

> I personally can’t see why the designo leather interior you get on the E450, you know the two tone brown/white thing is not an option on the more upmarket E63.

Let me go a step in a different direction.

The audio system you get in an E63 is the same you get in an E450 unless you get the upgrade. Do you think that's bad or not really?
I’m a bit more conflicted with that. Do you suggest they include the high end system as standard? It’s not even an option on my wagon for some reason. At the end of the day we are buying the top trim of their E class. It’s like buying the nicest house in neighborhood, so to speak. They also have to leave something for the S.

I think Audi did the same with A6/7 ==> S/RS models.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m a bit more conflicted with that. Do you suggest they include the high end system as standard? It’s not even an option on my wagon for some reason. At the end of the day we are buying the top trim of their E class. It’s like buying the nicest house in neighborhood, so to speak. They also have to leave something for the S.

I think Audi did the same with A6/7 ==> S/RS models.
I like the nicest house in the neighborhood analogy, but maybe we are being a bit too cocky.

An E350/E450/Ewhatever-the-number-is-these-days is supposed to be no slouch in terms of technology/comfort/luxury/craftsmanship. So we spend a couple of thousand dollars more (ok... more like $40k more, if not straight up double the cost)... who are we to think that we deserve some better sound systems, you know? :P

Half serious, half kidding. But I think it is the same for BMW too. 528i, M5. A speaker is a speaker. An infotainment system is an infotainment system. Performance model or not.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 PM

I like the nicest house in the neighborhood analogy, but maybe we are being a bit too cocky.

An E350/E450/Ewhatever-the-number-is-these-days is supposed to be no slouch in terms of technology/comfort/luxury/craftsmanship. So we spend a couple of thousand dollars more (ok... more like $40k more, if not straight up double the cost)... who are we to think that we deserve some better sound systems, you know? :P

Half serious, half kidding. But I think it is the same for BMW too. 528i, M5. A speaker is a speaker. An infotainment system is an infotainment system. Performance model or not.
I completely agree. I just specced an E300 on MBUSA. It has the nice designo leather I like for $4,500 and the upgraded Burmester, all for under $65k. My car was more than $60k over that. That’s a couple of smaller Mercedes from their showroom, on top of the E300 price so I totally get where you’re coming from. But, they’re gonna want to extract ever penny out of your pocket and mine. And they do a good job at it. Porsche is the best in business by a mile where they can make you pay for 2 911s and give you 1, with some extra leather bits.

Thing is, they know we will buy it, since you know 600 hp and it goes vroom vroom and makes us smile so they don’t have to throw anything in and they sure as heck won’t develop a better infotainment system for their AMG customers I don’t think. Keep in mind, E300 is not the entry level E class overseas. Pretty sure they have some E180 with two gerbils on wheels running opposite direction under the hood or something. It’s a mass market produced car, that we got the top trim in, with some nice options. It’s no Bentley unfortunately, but it also costs a fraction of the price of a Bentley. I cringe every time I touch the lower door trim with the hard plastic in a $120k automobile but whattya gotta do. I still love it and do not regret buying it at all.

PS: based on pics alone, it looks like the 4 door GT63s has the same plasticky lower door piece. That’s in a $200k car. At least they get the fancier interface.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

> But, they’re gonna want to extract ever penny out of your pocket and mine

I want to go on record and say one thing, and I might sound ****ing crazy:

E63S, M5... bargains. The performance and luxury we get for $120k is... insane. and that's if you buy new. A 2016 M5 can be had with like 20k miles for $45k... You can get an Infiniti for $45k, or a ****ing M5. I'm sure our cars depreciated will be $80k and then $60k soon enough. Let's think... Loaded minivan... or E63? Hmm...

Does a $300k Performante/720s/488 Pista beat us? Yep.

Does a $500k Phantom probably have some nicer interior/less road noise? Most likely.

But... when I see cars that are above $120k... I really don't see the ROI/bang for buck being that much higher than what we have now. I'm a young punk hooligan so somedays I want an 800rwhp F80 M3 with a manual transmission, somedays I want a Z06, somedays I want a full bolt on GT-R pushing 1,000hp. Some days I want an S550. What'd I settle for? Arguably the best mix between all of those money can buy.

> Pretty sure they have some E180 with two gerbils on wheels running opposite direction under the hood or something.

****ing suck that Tesla! Why didn't you dumb ****ers think about gerbil power at scale? Too busy sucking Elon Musk's tweets out of his dick! (sorry)

> I cringe every time I touch the lower door trim with the hard plastic in a $120k automobile but whattya gotta do.

I ****ing cringe that our entire center console is a giant piece of black scratchy plastic. It is nice, but also like, at least try to not make it so obvious that I'm not Rolls Royce rich, ya know?!

Last edited by MuffinFlavored; 07-03-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 PM

Lmfao!!

M5 has an option for an extended or full leather interior but I could be wrong. Someone can jump in and correct me. Adding the designo leather option that’s offered on a lower trim would seem more feasible from a production logistics standpoint. Also, allowing a couple of exclusive exterior colors, a la BMW M division that you can only get on the 63 model would be nice touches. God I’m whiny today?!

I wholeheartedly agree we are paying for the beast under the hood and the rest of the engineering that supports it and I’m ok with the rest of it. It could be worse. I read on motortrend when the new NSX came out that it shared window switches with the civic! So there :-)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

> M5 has an option for an extended or full leather interior but I could be wrong. Someone can jump in and correct me

You are correct. I had it on my M5. I swapped somebody's lease and it was red. Everybody said I was on the "homosexual" side for having red interior. However, I will be glad to go back and let every single one of them know, it was the ****ing EXTENDED homosexual red interior.

> God I’m whiny today?!

I take full blame, I am bringing it out of you.

> I read on motortrend when the new NSX came out that it shared window switches with the civic! So there :-)

****, now you sound like Doug DeMuro masturbating over the 720s windshield wiper stalk.

> Adding the designo leather option that’s offered on a lower trim would seem more feasible from a production logistics standpoint.

So, to give this post any kind of actual meaning/substance, I'm going to play devil's advocate for you.

I think it is undeniable that BMW has the M5 build thing down better than Mercedes with the E63S. Why? Too many ****ing options, not enough **** by default. I couldn't find the car I wanted with all of the specs I wanted because it was too hard and no website has a list of every single VIN with every feature that is for sale. Honestly, I should ****ing make that site. Maybe then I could afford an E63S... Oh wait...

But seriously. You check one option on the M5 configurator and you get like, massage seats, soft close doors. Ok, I guess that's really it but... still. You check one option on the Mercedes configurator and do you know what you get? Something to mask the smell of your own farts in your cabin. Gee!

Oh yeah, that and the fact that... Mercedes E63s is *on average* 30-40% more expensive to lease. But hey... here we are, on the forums, proud that we drive our "unperfect" mobiles.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S

Man....hopefully you never have to be subjected to a LR/RR infotainment system! JLR easily takes the cake for worst infotainment in the luxury market by a landslide. Sometimes I will take my E63 when I am in a hurry because I know when I gotta get in and go my bluetooth and nav are gonna work! I was pretty surprised corporate even lets those vehicles to the mass market with those types of issues.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by amgcb
Man....hopefully you never have to be subjected to a LR/RR infotainment system! JLR easily takes the cake for worst infotainment in the luxury market by a landslide. Sometimes I will take my E63 when I am in a hurry because I know when I gotta get in and go my bluetooth and nav are gonna work! I was pretty surprised corporate even lets those vehicles to the mass market with those types of issues.
Oh trust me I know! We were so so close to getting the wife a Range Rover Supercharged. It was around the time they did the facelift. The tech was so so laggy with all the touch screens. Like using a 6 year old iPad that’s running a new OS. No apple car play at the time, they just added it recently I believe. We got a GLE63s with its outdated 5 year old interior and even that felt faster and more up to date than Land Rover’s. I told my wife I’m not sure what we’re getting when it’s time to upgrade as I’m not a fan of what MB has done with their new GLE/GLS design interior and exterior and I really don’t think I can tolerate the JLR tech.

Oh and the JLR salesman hit me with “we sell at sticker and give returning customers a $1,000 discount”. I thought that was cute given the nearly 30 trucks they had sitting on the lot, unsold.

Last edited by Dunga; 07-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Owner of a RRS Autobiography here. I had a 2014 Supercharged when they came out and I had to pay MSRP + $10K to get it. Never ever doing that again. It was the one and only time I will ever do that no matter what car it is. It was the worst car I ever had. And thats including my share of junkers I have had over the years. It was so bad 3 of the 10 months I had that POS it was in the shop. JLR had to buy it back because they couldn't fix the endless suspension and driveline issues. Electronics were horrible too. I have never experienced anything like it. To add insult to injury I paid $120K fotr that thing. Then after the buy back I had an SVR on order and that was delivered in the wrong interior and color. That was $132K. No Jose! I rejected it. They tried convincing me I would get used to it. No thanks, and certainly not after parting with $132K. I opted to get all my money back and walk away. They deeply discounted the Autobiography and thew in retractable side steps and we had a deal.

This thing is been blissful and I love it. Nothing looks as good or feels like it on the market. As far as SUVs go, tjis is the one I want. Been off road a few times and its a jewel of a car. Electronics suck most likely will continue to. I have been tempted a few times to upgrade but I wont. I hit the lotto and got a trouble free one and am staying with it till I have to trade it in. My Guess is it wound be another JLR product.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Oh trust me I know! We were so so close to getting the wife a Range Rover Supercharged. It was around the time they did the facelift. The tech was so so laggy with all the touch screens. Like using a 6 year old iPad that’s running a new OS. No apple car play at the time, they just added it recently I believe. We got a GLE63s with its outdated 5 year old interior and even that felt faster and more up to date than Land Rover’s. I told my wife I’m not sure what we’re getting when it’s time to upgrade as I’m not a fan of what MB has done with their new GLE/GLS design interior and exterior and I really don’t think I can tolerate the JLR tech.

Oh and the JLR salesman hit me with “we sell at sticker and give returning customers a $1,000 discount”. I thought that was cute given the nearly 30 trucks they had sitting on the lot, unsold.
New Vogue is beautiful, got a fully loaded one 2 weeks ago, not my cup of tea though. Also, the infotainment system is absolutely horrible to use, still don't know how most of it works
Old 07-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by VaserC63S
Owner of a RRS Autobiography here. I had a 2014 Supercharged when they came out and I had to pay MSRP + $10K to get it. Never ever doing that again. It was the one and only time I will ever do that no matter what car it is. It was the worst car I ever had. And thats including my share of junkers I have had over the years. It was so bad 3 of the 10 months I had that POS it was in the shop. JLR had to buy it back because they couldn't fix the endless suspension and driveline issues. Electronics were horrible too. I have never experienced anything like it. To add insult to injury I paid $120K fotr that thing. Then after the buy back I had an SVR on order and that was delivered in the wrong interior and color. That was $132K. No Jose! I rejected it. They tried convincing me I would get used to it. No thanks, and certainly not after parting with $132K. I opted to get all my money back and walk away. They deeply discounted the Autobiography and thew in retractable side steps and we had a deal.

This thing is been blissful and I love it. Nothing looks as good or feels like it on the market. As far as SUVs go, tjis is the one I want. Been off road a few times and its a jewel of a car. Electronics suck most likely will continue to. I have been tempted a few times to upgrade but I wont. I hit the lotto and got a trouble free one and am staying with it till I have to trade it in. My Guess is it wound be another JLR product.
Is this a universal thing?? The car came wrong interior colour, how can they get such a thing wrong on a £109,000 car, the dealership did a lot to try make up though, they gave a new discovery to me for a month amongst other things. Had to wait for a new build in the end.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC43,E500
>> Steering Wheel in full DYNAMICA now available!

Shouldn't the opposite happen? Looking at other M-B CPO models that have this option seem like a serious bio-hazard, really gross!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Is this a universal thing?? The car came wrong interior colour, how can they get such a thing wrong on a £109,000 car, the dealership did a lot to try make up though, they gave a new discovery to me for a month amongst other things. Had to wait for a new build in the end.
It seems to very common. I dont know if the sales people are so sloppy and keep screwing up, or JLR itself has some tracking issues. I have friend who had same exact thing happen. The Thing with Range Rovers is once you get one that is perfect and it has no issues stick with it. They are unique beautiful and nothing else feels like them. In my case I wont even upgrade unless the model changes so much mine looks ancient. I don't care for their infotainment system. I'd love to switch to something different but no one puts out anything I want more than the range Rover. But seriously they should not be screwing up like this even on basic ordering options.

Just wanted to answer your question. Back on topic.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VaserC63S
It seems to very common. I dont know if the sales people are so sloppy and keep screwing up, or JLR itself has some tracking issues. I have friend who had same exact thing happen. The Thing with Range Rovers is once you get one that is perfect and it has no issues stick with it. They are unique beautiful and nothing else feels like them. In my case I wont even upgrade unless the model changes so much mine looks ancient. I don't care for their infotainment system. I'd love to switch to something different but no one puts out anything I want more than the range Rover. But seriously they should not be screwing up like this even on basic ordering options.

Just wanted to answer your question. Back on topic.
in regards to sloppy sales people... don’t you dream of living in a world where “the middleman between you and the computer” / “the middleman between you and the finance manager” sales person job didn’t exist + got automated away?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Audi Q7
This world is coming...the F&I manager will also be automated away. It will take a new generation of dealer principal to take the lead to make the change happen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do we know what the changes for the 2020 E63S will be?