C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2012 CLS63 or E63?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
PP C63 has no chance against an 5.5 TT E63 and would never pass it (unless you have a tard at the wheel)....The 2012 E63's and CLS63's are putting way more power to the wheels than an C63

Stats mean nothing.....look at the dyno pulls that the 2012 5.5 TT's are putting down to the wheels

We ran a 2012 PP C63 against a 2012 E63 at the AMG performance event and the E walked away everytime

Originally Posted by GMW
That is a hard choice. On one hand the E63 will be faster and offer more interior room than the CLS63. However, the CLS63 is a stunner!!! The only 'downside' .....and I'm really stretching here.... is that both aren't as loud as the C63 and also not as sharp in the handling department but the torque is monstrous. A tuned or PP C63 could keep up and possibly pass a stock E63 twin turbo but once you add the PP package or a tune to those then its goodbye C63. I don't know if I've helped make your decision any easier but good luck!

Here is one I saw in Thulite Red!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
I wouldn't question straight line performance.
But are you also referring to track performance?

I would find it hard to believe that an E or CLS would walk a C in something like Laguna Seca or Tsuzuka, where the course is short and twisty. The bigger sedans have a better chance in Silverstone or Monza.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Street...

but just for reference the E63 does lap the Ring 3 seconds quicker than the C63 (8:10 vs 8:13)

just saying.....

Originally Posted by Centurion
I wouldn't question straight line performance.
But are you also referring to track performance?

I would find it hard to believe that an E or CLS would walk a C in something like Laguna Seca or Tsuzuka, where the course is short and twisty. The bigger sedans have a better chance in Silverstone or Monza.

Last edited by callmiro; 11-09-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by callmiro
Street...

but just for reference the E63 does lap the Ring 3 seconds quicker than the C63 (8:10 vs 8:13)

just saying.....
Thanks for clarifying.

No doubts whatsoever about the Ring.
Long, 13 mile circuit, with plenty of top speed portions.
The M157 gets a chance to open up and stretch out.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM

2012 CLS 63
Okay, I will be building the following...

2012 CLS63
designo magno cashmere white / Black Premium / CF Trim
CF Spoiler
P30 pkg
Premium pkg
Driver Assistance pkg
Parktronic
Limited Slip
Night view
19" Forged wheels

Anything missing (other than my retirement)? Wanted to go with the designo red interior however wife vetoed it. Also rear heated seats would be nice however our kids are young and I'm not getting the rear side airbags, thus not an option. Ceramic brakes a little overkill for me at this point.

Sorry to re-hijack!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Gathofbaal2010
Okay, I will be building the following...

2012 CLS63
designo magno cashmere white / Black Premium / CF Trim
CF Spoiler
P30 pkg
Premium pkg
Driver Assistance pkg
Parktronic
Limited Slip
Night view
19" Forged wheels

Anything missing (other than my retirement)? Wanted to go with the designo red interior however wife vetoed it. Also rear heated seats would be nice however our kids are young and I'm not getting the rear side airbags, thus not an option. Ceramic brakes a little overkill for me at this point.

Sorry to re-hijack!
sounds like a nice build except for the nanny devices you know? you could really save yourself a few grand on those eh?(and lsd too) I do make an exception on the NV though, I have it on my 550 and it does come in handy now that it gets dark at 5 and the deer are out and about more....
and the 'wow' factor is always great
I'm also seriously considering this car with the p30 too, the CF spoiler and trim as you descibed.....not sure on colors yet.....
I agree on the brakes....they are also insanely expensive when it comes time to replace them.....
also, ever consider just getting the cheaper wheels and then going with some nice aftermarkets?

the car will be awesome! 550hp and 591tq!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM

2012 CLS 63
Thanks for the thoughts.... re: nanny options: agreed, not entirely needed. However we really like the blind spot warning system on our audi Q7--worked pretty good on our test drive in the CLS. I also need to sell the build to my wife as well and this is one of those 'necessary' items--anything to do with safety eases the blow of a 100k car purchase.

Curious as to why not get the limited slip? I will be using the car in wintery climates so it may be good for my situation. Other reasons (other than price) not to get it?

I am struggling with the whole wheel issue as well. I actually think the stock wheels look pretty good--I may just use those for winter tires and gets some oem's for summer. Good thoughts.

I had a very difficult time deciding on the exterior/interior color as well. I have seen a graphite in person and it looks really slick, however I may be doing the white/CF to do something different than my black/black C63.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 PM

2012 CLS 63
Oh, btw, its nice to see a brother metalhead having great taste in cars! Your sig has a DB link right? (not loading right now for some reason)
Old 11-11-2011, 04:32 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
You should definitely go for the LSD. The new 5.5TT is an absolute torque monster so anything that will help traction is a must.

Those that claim LSD is for track purpose only haven't tested the difference in an everyday environment. Try a turn with 25% throttle and you'll have your inner tire spinning consistently without a LSD. With a LSD this is mostly gone and if you wish you can expand that in to a beautiful controlled drift :-)

I absolutely recommend it.

Ken
Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Oh, btw, its nice to see a brother metalhead having great taste in cars! Your sig has a DB link right? (not loading right now for some reason)
thanx, and yes, it is a link to that.......
guess LSD would be good, I have not actually driven the new TT motor, but Ken made some other good points to consider,

/m\

Originally Posted by KEMA
You should definitely go for the LSD. The new 5.5TT is an absolute torque monster so anything that will help traction is a must.

Those that claim LSD is for track purpose only haven't tested the difference in an everyday environment. Try a turn with 25% throttle and you'll have your inner tire spinning consistently without a LSD. With a LSD this is mostly gone and if you wish you can expand that in to a beautiful controlled drift :-)

I absolutely recommend it.

Ken
great points man, I have not driven the with the new engine yet.......
problem is, the dealer does not have one yet, and he also said the build delay is quite real for these models.....
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 AM

NONE
quick question
how are the seats compared to each other? is it the same sized seat?
also in the comfort suspension setting with the PP pack how much rougher is it then non?
i had a 2010 e550 4matic loved it but i want somthing more sporty but not to crazy where i dont like the ride. Im in process of selling my panamera 4S for a loss cause i find it to be a very rough ride with a bad non supportive seat. i think its down to these cls63 or 2012 e63 plus with or without PP pack of course i want the extra power but for the amount i'm going to use it i don't want to not have a car i find comfy to drive everyday. i wish the e63 was a little flashier i love the cls63 but i feel it will drive a little big and heavy compared to the E63 i really dont care about back seat size.
thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 CLS63
LSD will be a must, esp for winter driving. I'm going to be using mine all winter on winter tires (w/ the ram for extreme weather). Otherwise I went lightly optioned.

Thanks for the thoughts.... re: nanny options: agreed, not entirely needed. However we really like the blind spot warning system on our audi Q7--worked pretty good on our test drive in the CLS. I also need to sell the build to my wife as well and this is one of those 'necessary' items--anything to do with safety eases the blow of a 100k car purchase.

Curious as to why not get the limited slip? I will be using the car in wintery climates so it may be good for my situation. Other reasons (other than price) not to get it?

I am struggling with the whole wheel issue as well. I actually think the stock wheels look pretty good--I may just use those for winter tires and gets some oem's for summer. Good thoughts.

I had a very difficult time deciding on the exterior/interior color as well. I have seen a graphite in person and it looks really slick, however I may be doing the white/CF to do something different than my black/black C63.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM

NONE
Come any thoughts
Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
Personally I'd take the cls over the e in a heartbeat. Looks are just
Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 AM

12 CLS63
Originally Posted by BRETT0429
quick question
how are the seats compared to each other? is it the same sized seat?
also in the comfort suspension setting with the PP pack how much rougher is it then non?
i had a 2010 e550 4matic loved it but i want somthing more sporty but not to crazy where i dont like the ride. Im in process of selling my panamera 4S for a loss cause i find it to be a very rough ride with a bad non supportive seat. i think its down to these cls63 or 2012 e63 plus with or without PP pack of course i want the extra power but for the amount i'm going to use it i don't want to not have a car i find comfy to drive everyday. i wish the e63 was a little flashier i love the cls63 but i feel it will drive a little big and heavy compared to the E63 i really dont care about back seat size.
thanks
The NonPP ride is perfect for me on the crappy IL roads, and since I'm chipping anyway I didn't need the power. Have you test driven a 12 cls63? You may be satisfied w/ the nonPP handling/ride, but def test drive both if you can.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 AM

2012 CLS 63
Decision has been made and submitted! I went with the cashmere white/black/CF trim and spoiler with all of the nanny options included--hey, I can admit I'm a kept man and the wife made special requests for them Although I didn't test drive a PP I went with it anyway given prior buyer's remorse when I didn't get it before. Now the long wait---probably an extra month given the designo exterior paint. I'll probably paint (or buy) emblems in matte black and vinyl wrap the chrome window/trunk trim... I'll wait to do any engine mods until I get some miles driven--I know, heresy on this board but the engine with the PP is likely will be enough for me for the first year or so. I definitely went with the LS given need for winter driving conditions--thank you all for the feedback. Am intrigued by the reasonator delete.... must do more research.

I decided against the 2012 E63 for the following reasons.... all of which are aesthetic given I didn't test drive the E63.

1. Upgrading from C63: No offense to current E63 owners, but the E63 appears like a stretched version of my C63. Not very different body-wise. I needed a big change. The CLS afforded this.

2. CLS is sportier than the E IMHO--I was highly considering a 2011 S63 they had on the lot, however I'm not quite ready to make the jump to the big boy yet--still in my 30's! I wanted to go as sporty as possible.

3. Plethora of E's on the road: CLS is unique--there are a grip of E's all around where I live and I didn't want to contribute to the current homogeneity.

4. Back seat room: About the same in both, so it wasn't a show stopper. The four seater configuration in the CLS will hopefully provide some contraceptive effect to avoid adding a 5th member to the family!

Thanks again all for your advice... looking fwd to joining the crew!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 AM

12 CLS63
Decision has been made and submitted! I went with the cashmere white/black/CF trim and spoiler with all of the nanny options included--hey, I can admit I'm a kept man and the wife made special requests for them Although I didn't test drive a PP I went with it anyway given prior buyer's remorse when I didn't get it before. Now the long wait---probably an extra month given the designo exterior paint. I'll probably paint (or buy) emblems in matte black and vinyl wrap the chrome window/trunk trim... I'll wait to do any engine mods until I get some miles driven--I know, heresy on this board but the engine with the PP is likely will be enough for me for the first year or so. I definitely went with the LS given need for winter driving conditions--thank you all for the feedback. Am intrigued by the reasonator delete.... must do more research.

I decided against the 2012 E63 for the following reasons.... all of which are aesthetic given I didn't test drive the E63.

1. Upgrading from C63: No offense to current E63 owners, but the E63 appears like a stretched version of my C63. Not very different body-wise. I needed a big change. The CLS afforded this.

2. CLS is sportier than the E IMHO--I was highly considering a 2011 S63 they had on the lot, however I'm not quite ready to make the jump to the big boy yet--still in my 30's! I wanted to go as sporty as possible.

3. Plethora of E's on the road: CLS is unique--there are a grip of E's all around where I live and I didn't want to contribute to the current homogeneity.

4. Back seat room: About the same in both, so it wasn't a show stopper. The four seater configuration in the CLS will hopefully provide some contraceptive effect to avoid adding a 5th member to the family!

Congrats! It's gonna be a phenomenal car.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E400 wagon, F-Pace 3.5, Yukon 2500*.0.
What colour is this CLS ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZuPPmKmFRI

My dealer says it's Tenorite Grey.( at 1.00 +) I'm not so sure .
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Great choice, although that's a slightly bised opinion.

Sales associates at the dealerships should consider using explanation #4 above during their sales pitch.

Congrats!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM

NONE
Can any answer this?
Does the 2012 e63 and the 2012 cls63 have the same size seat meaning the width of the seat and overall size are they the same
Thanks
Brett
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM

C63
They are identical.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 CLS63 or E63?-cls-2012_resize.jpg   2012 CLS63 or E63?-e63-2012_resize.jpg