C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Renntech ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
Renntech ECU Upgrade

Is this the best way to go and is it really "Plug and Play" as they claim?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Renntech has shown impressive gains with they're tune.
They recently broke the 600+ rwhp mark with 3" downpipe + upgraded intercooler + revised tune. The only downside is Renntech tunes and parts in general are very expensive.

Since your located in SoCal I would highly recommend going with OE Tuning.
They're tunes show a solid 75-80hp gain and 80-90 gain in torque at the wheels.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
Please have a look at our Stage 1 tuning for your ECU. It is plug and play and our turn around time is only one day. We return ship your ECU with UPS next day air early AM service so your down time is minimal.

V-Tech Stage 1 tune for Mercedes-Benz CLS63 (M157)

This tune is the product of extensive dyno and track testing by a German engineer resulting in an incredible 660 crank HP and 730 lb/ft of torque....
$1,998.00

Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 AM

OE, V-tech, Renntech, Brabus....Love to understand the differences. Do any of the tuners totally replace the old and ship a new ECU?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by V-Tech Tuning
Please have a look at our Stage 1 tuning for your ECU. It is plug and play and our turn around time is only one day. We return ship your ECU with UPS next day air early AM service so your down time is minimal.

V-Tech Stage 1 tune for Mercedes-Benz CLS63 (M157)

This tune is the product of extensive dyno and track testing by a German engineer resulting in an incredible 660 crank HP and 730 lb/ft of torque....
$1,998.00

Price without a doubt better but the power? Renntech is claiming 669 HP @ 5500 RPM; 734 LB-FT @ 3800 RPM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Renntech has shown impressive gains with they're tune.
They recently broke the 600+ rwhp mark with 3" downpipe + upgraded intercooler + revised tune. The only downside is Renntech tunes and parts in general are very expensive.

Since your located in SoCal I would highly recommend going with OE Tuning.
They're tunes show a solid 75-80hp gain and 80-90 gain in torque at the wheels.
Anybody in Orange County or San Diego?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
RT's giving you 9 more HP, and 4 more ft lbs of torque, but it doesn't come cheap...

In order to truly see and understand the difference between the various tuners, you need to examine and plot each of their dyno charts. This will allow you to see where and when the additional power is kicking in, and to what extent. Just because one tuner is cranking out more ponies, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better...

As for your ECU question, "Do any of the tuners totally replace the old and ship a new ECU?"... Not that I have ever heard of. ECU's to purchase new are not cheap. Most tuners simply reflash yours and ship it back. If you ship yours out on a Monday, next day air, they'll get it on Tuesday, flash it, and send it back to you next day air, and you'll have it on Wed.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
RT's giving you 9 more HP, and 4 more ft lbs of torque, but it doesn't come cheap...

In order to truly see and understand the difference between the various tuners, you need to examine and plot each of their dyno charts. This will allow you to see where and when the additional power is kicking in, and to what extent. Just because one tuner is cranking out more ponies, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better...

As for your ECU question, "Do any of the tuners totally replace the old and ship a new ECU?"... Not that I have ever heard of. ECU's to purchase new are not cheap. Most tuners simply reflash yours and ship it back. If you ship yours out on a Monday, next day air, they'll get it on Tuesday, flash it, and send it back to you next day air, and you'll have it on Wed.
Very helpful post...appreciate it man. I'm going to be honest in my goals. Their are so many **sholes on the streets in South Orange County that if anyone starts...I would like to finish...even against the Italian horses... I also want to compliment it with a better sounding exhaust system. I basically want that CLS that runs with the GTR in that youtube video...

Where in LI you at? I'm a CA transplant...I grew up on the South Shore....

Last edited by freefall; 02-26-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:18 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
I live right outside of Syosset on the north shore...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Subscribing to this thread...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM

C55
Originally Posted by freefall
Price without a doubt better but the power? Renntech is claiming 669 HP @ 5500 RPM; 734 LB-FT @ 3800 RPM.
RT are doing much faster times than any tune out there & it's untouched till still now. You can see in the video of the new 2012 E63 V8 biturbo at the end of the video the dyno graph they are making more than the claimed power:

I would like to see those other tuners do their own in-house tune; do record better times & mph trap speed with just better tires (w/o weight reduction or using a downhill track), but I've seen none besides RT:

Last edited by AMGTortoise; 02-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Don't get caught up in dyno numbers and don't believe dyno numbers from any tuner. Dyno numbers can be manipulated and results will vary from one dyno to another. What you should listen to is real world results from people out there with tunes and more importantly with track numbers. This is the true test
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM

C55
Originally Posted by Ready2roll
Don't get caught up in dyno numbers and don't believe dyno numbers from any tuner. Dyno numbers can be manipulated and results will vary from one dyno to another. What you should listen to is real world results from people out there with tunes and more importantly with track numbers. This is the true test
If it was manipulated, why are they doing the times. Why not bring a Vtech tune car to run a RT CLS63 in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or standing mile. And, I don't think Vtech sweden does their tune inhouse for the CLS63, since they were looking for a supplier for the same....that's why they are so inexpensive:
Attached Thumbnails Renntech ECU Upgrade-vtech-tunes-really.jpg  

Last edited by AMGTortoise; 02-26-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGTortoise
RT are doing much faster times than any tune out there & it's untouched till still now.
Every time I've seen posted by Renntech is on cars running drag radials. That will make any tune look impressive. How many of us drive our cars on the street with drag radials?

I would like to see those other tuners do their own in-house tune; do record better times & mph trap speed with just better tires (w/o weight reduction or using a downhill track), but I've seen none besides RT:
Well open your eyes you are about to see

Here is my car which was tuned by V-Tech with their stage 1 tune. My car is bone stock without anything other than the V-Tech stage 1 tune.
These runs were all made on the stock tires that came on my car. Full weight, full tank of pump gas and I weigh 240 pounds. No downhill track either. Is there really such a thing?

This is no "one run wonder" like you see other tuners post. I'd say my car is quite consistent with 3 consecutive passes in the 11.3's. See the attached pic of the time slips

I have seen NO OTHER tuner post these kind of times on stock tires and I have not seen anyone run these kinds of times with any other tune on a tune only car with the stock tires.

Until someone shows me a 2012 CLS63 running better than 11.3's on the stock tires then I stand by my statement that V-Tech has the best tune for these cars

Here's the 11.346 pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owyI...ature=youtu.be

Here's the 11.376 pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mtNG...ature=youtu.be

and here's the 11.398 pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hAUj...ature=youtu.be

I'd love to run my car on some drag radials one day like Renntech does. We would see some 10.90's for sure and without the need for exhaust mods which Renntech has to run the 10.90
Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Guys lets get real here....dynos are unverified and easily manipulated. Conditions, equipment, etc all play in. The faster car producing less hp on paper is what I would want. And then we have track times in different areas of the US with different drivers too.

Track times do tell it the story in more vivid color but then again we are talking about a very experienced driver in SGC (he drives the Renntech cars). Alot about the quarter mile is the driver too; please dont tell me its all about the tune.

I think all the tunes are relatively the same. They are basically shelf tunes that change tq management and boost right? I speak currently about the m157 63TT engine.

Id bet that none of these tuners have the full 63TT definitions which would allow for a perfect dyno tune.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
If it was manipulated, why are they doing the times. Why not bring a Vtech tune car to run a RT CLS63 in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or standing mile. And, I don't think Vtech sweden does their tune inhouse for the CLS63, since they were looking for a supplier for the same....that's why they are so inexpensive:
Why not bring my car? It's not important to me. I know what my car runs on STREET TIRES!

Why doesn't Renntech bring a car to me with street tires if it's important to them? I am more than happy to run against them any time. My home track is No Problem Raceway here in the hot humid swamps of Louisiana. Bring it

Last edited by Ready2roll; 02-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Sorry I forgot to attach the pic. The time slips are on this post
https://mbworld.org/forums/5012096-post1.html
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Guys lets get real here....dynos are unverified and easily manipulated. Conditions, equipment, etc all play in. The faster car producing less hp on paper is what I would want. And then we have track times in different areas of the US with different drivers too.

Track times do tell it the story in more vivid color but then again we are talking about a very experienced driver in SGC (he drives the Renntech cars). Alot about the quarter mile is the driver too; please dont tell me its all about the tune.

I think all the tunes are relatively the same. They are basically shelf tunes that change tq management and boost right? I speak currently about the m157 63TT engine.

Id bet that none of these tuners have the full 63TT definitions which would allow for a perfect dyno tune.
Very good post Vic. This backs up what I'm saying!

Don't get caught up in manipulated dyno numbers from any tuner.

Track results tell the real story!

I might add that I'm not some "hot shoe" pro driver like Renntech uses. I'm just an every day guy like most peeps on this forum and running 11.3's on the stock street tires with only a V-tech tune was super easy for me
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ready2roll
Very good post Vic. This backs up what I'm saying!

Don't get caught up in manipulated dyno numbers from any tuner.

Track results tell the real story!

I might add that I'm not some "hot shoe" pro driver like Renntech uses. I'm just an every day guy like most peeps on this forum and running 11.3's on the stock street tires with only a V-tech tune was super easy for me
So if the results are debatable between these two options doesn't the price difference make V-tech and much better bang for the buck as I AM that regular guy who will be running on stock tires??? Are these the two best mods out there?

What kind of 0 - 60 times are you getting? I've seen Renntech showing 3.2....but I think that is with other mods as well.

Thanks so much guys.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
So if the results are debatable between these two options doesn't the price difference make V-tech and much better bang for the buck as I AM that regular guy who will be running on stock tires??? Are these the two best mods out there?

What kind of 0 - 60 times are you getting? I've seen Renntech showing 3.2....but I think that is with other mods as well.

Thanks so much guys.
If its a shelf tune you want- then get the cheaper one.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
If its a shelf tune you want- then get the cheaper one.
And if it's a custom tune you want, send your car to Renntech and they will perfect it.

Ready2roll, you have a great car which is running great times for street tires. But I'm not sure why you confuse street radials, which are for the street, and drag radials, which are for drag racing. Why wouldn't you want the added grip,? They're DOT legal anyways and you can drive to/from the track with them.

Regardless, the CLS63 with Renntech tune has you beat by ~5mph in the same sort of humidity you're familiar with. That says a lot about the HP it is making besides just the peak numbers. Anyone who has spent some time at a drag strip knows that 5mph is nothing to sneeze at.

These threads always seem to end nasty, with each post loaded with bias and opinion. Obviously everyone will recommend to the OP whatever they chose for their own car. I don't think this one has to go there by slinging mud and talking smack about tuners I didn't spend money with. I say let the numbers tell the tale.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
it seems like with todays cars, whoever has the best computer nerd who can manipulate the ecu will get the highest numbers

i dont know what the criteria and specifics of todays tunes comprises of, i would like to know before i enter that realm

but bottom line is what gives the best usable power, with out damage to the engine,
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by EcruisinUSA
Ready2roll, you have a great car which is running great times for street tires. But I'm not sure why you confuse street radials, which are for the street, and drag radials, which are for drag racing. Why wouldn't you want the added grip,? They're DOT legal anyways and you can drive to/from the track with them.
Thank you Ecruisin!
I understand and know what drag radials are and what they do. The point I was making is my car was running 11.3's on the stock tires. In comparison, I have not seen any other 2012 CLS63 from Renntech or any other tuner for that matter run those times with a tune only on the tires the car came off the showroom floor with.

The fastest time I have seen from Renntech "tune only" was 11.21 at 126.30 mph, but this time was achieved with drag radials. Here's a video of that run

Mind you, my car trapped 126.7 mph with a tune only on the stock tires, .5 mph faster than the tune only Renntech car in the video above.
Now, if I had the benefit of having drag radials on my car what ET do you think I could have achieved? With some traction provided by drag radials I could have put my car in the 10.90s or 11.0's with drag radials beating out the Renntech tune only/drag radial car.

Regardless, the CLS63 with Renntech tune has you beat by ~5mph in the same sort of humidity you're familiar with. That says a lot about the HP it is making besides just the peak numbers. Anyone who has spent some time at a drag strip knows that 5mph is nothing to sneeze at.
NO SIR! 5 mph? The Renntech record is 10.90 at 128.96 mph.
Video here

That is only 2.23 more mph than my tune only car. Yes, 2.23 mph is still significant, but you must remember that the Renntech car also had exhaust mods (cats removed) to yield the higher power numbers. Lets not forget they are also running a 100% locking differential as apposed to the 30% LSD install on my car from the factory.

So basically what I'm saying is take a V-Tech tuned car, with drag radials, with cats removed and with 100% LSD you can expect that Renntech 10.90 record to fall which leads me to my original point to begin with... the V-Tech tune kicks ***

These threads always seem to end nasty, with each post loaded with bias and opinion. Obviously everyone will recommend to the OP whatever they chose for their own car. I don't think this one has to go there by slinging mud and talking smack about tuners I didn't spend money with. I say let the numbers tell the tale.
You are right. Bench racing at it's finest
I too believe in letting the numbers tell the tale and believe in comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by Ready2roll; 02-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Ready2Roll you beat me to it--- his info was not apples to apples... and the fastest renntech run has downpipes too. DP's on a turbo engine make a huge difference.

It seems like there are alot of fans and proponents of their favorite tuner but how many in this thread even have a CLS63TT with a tune?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 AM

Fast cars in general....
To OP, I have v-tech stage 1 tune on my car and you are more than welcome to drive my car and feel the differences. I'm betting you will be sold once you drive it. I'm a 'real world result' car guy who doesn't believe in bench racing so the dyno numbers mean nothing to me. Recently I took the car to 1/2 mi airstrip attack event and it surprised many people including myself. A full write up will be followed shortly but to give you a tease, my car pulled about 3 cars on a 670HP Renntech tuned SL65 and it proves how fast this car is now with just the tune
I live in Irvine. PM me for the 'exclusive' v-tech tune test drive. For me, it was the best 2k I ever spent on any mods, period!!!

Last edited by gripforce-cl65; 02-27-2012 at 04:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech ECU Upgrade