C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS63TT spark plug broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by freefall
Why would you turn off the CEL?

Also - The CEL went on at the same time that my car started to shake and misfire real bad so in this case the CEL did not get me there faster...it just confirmed what was obvious.
I think he meant the CEL didnt come on prior to the plug failure....
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by areuv
so lets get this sorted, your car had the older version pugs the faulty ones correct? so that could be a reason it failed, you did not have the newer upgraded plugs correct? now if the tune was bad and there was detonation you would think more than just 1 plug would show damage from the lean condition but you state that the rest of the plugs are fine and show normal wear correct? only the one plug is damaged and melted correct? and I assume it's in cylinder #5 where you state the compression was 30lbs, like you mentioned something in that cylinder has to be broken for it not to have compression, do you remember if it built up compression when cranking and then dropped or it never got over 30 at anytime, did they do a leakdown test? once the head is off you will know exactly what's going on and you should make the dealer prove to you how the tune could have caused this damage in cylinder #5 only, it sounds like they are just trying to get out of fixing it under warranty

you are right, i should argue with them more on how it affected only cyl.5

i found NGK spark plugs but same heat range which is 7
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by freefall
Why would you turn off the CEL?

Also - The CEL went on at the same time that my car started to shake and misfire real bad so in this case the CEL did not get me there faster...it just confirmed what was obvious.
Exactly you had CEL and decided to take it to the dealer to check it out! Ali didn't get a CEL he just experienced failure while racing the M6, so his computer didn't register a misfire! Which conclude the possibility that the car might have had detonation.

The most important thing in this that Ali get her fixed under warranty

Last edited by dbasons55; 05-01-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had CEL and i stopped and directly plugged OBD2 scan tool and saw it is misfire in cyl.5, but didn't expect the plug to broke in, i thought its the same issue as the others are seeing.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
Is this the same event that happened to Rob@vividracing mentioned in this thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...ug-recall.html
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i think, but mine fell inside the engine....
Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ali_E55
I had CEL and i stopped and directly plugged OBD2 scan tool and saw it is misfire in cyl.5, but didn't expect the plug to broke in, i thought its the same issue as the others are seeing.
why are you delaying parts of your story! Ali did the CEL come before or during the race?? i am sure you are going to say before come on so if the plug gave up for SURE the CEL is going to not only come on and probably going to be flashing all around too
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbasons55
why are you delaying parts of your story! Ali did the CEL come before or during the race?? i am sure you are going to say before come on so if the plug gave up for SURE the CEL is going to not only come on and probably going to be flashing all around too

not before i raced, but maybe while i was racing and above 250, i felt the car is weak and when i slowed down , the engine was jerking i saw than CEL on .

i would have not race if it showed before
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 AM

not before i raced, but maybe while i was racing and above 250, i felt the car is weak and when i slowed down , the engine was jerking i saw than CEL on .

bro all the best but its clear that you are not sharing with us everything and you are just putting together a story for us to believe its the plugs!! if i blew my engine i will share it with everyone so that no one falls in the same mistake and try to help others avoid my mistakes, here you are making a drama on the plugs but you want us to believe that you had a perfect tune!! because of your story i had my plugs checked again yesterday just to make sure nothing is wrong with them you are making us trip about whether they will hang around or fail. can you please post a pic of the rest of the plugs??
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bro all the best but its clear that you are not sharing with us everything and you are just putting together a story for us to believe its the plugs!! if i blew my engine i will share it with everyone so that no one falls in the same mistake and try to help others avoid my mistakes, here you are making a drama on the plugs but you want us to believe that you had a perfect tune!! because of your story i had my plugs checked again yesterday just to make sure nothing is wrong with them you are making us trip about whether they will hang around or fail. can you please post a pic of the rest of the plugs??

im not hiding anything nor i am blaming anything.

im not that careless to race if i felt there is something wrong with my car, and it was a random race

one plug failed, and it has to do with the white ceramic small part ( same as recall issue ).

blew the engine, braked it down, call it what you like, and if i was not intrested to keep you all guys safe from having an issue, i would have not opened a thread from the begining.

car was fine 100% untill that day i raced and CEL came on with viberation, to tell you the truth, even if you drive it now or idle it, the vibration is not that bad.

so what do you think i am hiding !!

bad tune cause it ? maybe !! who knows ?

i will take pictures of the other plugs and will post them here
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 AM

im not hiding anything nor i am blaming anything.

im not that careless to race if i felt there is something wrong with my car, and it was a random race

one plug failed, and it has to do with the white ceramic small part ( same as recall issue ).

blew the engine, braked it down, call it what you like, and if i was not intrested to keep you all guys safe from having an issue, i would have not opened a thread from the begining.

car was fine 100% untill that day i raced and CEL came on with viberation, to tell you the truth, even if you drive it now or idle it, the vibration is not that bad.

so what do you think i am hiding !!

bad tune cause it ? maybe !! who knows ?

i will take pictures of the other plugs and will post them here

good we need to see how they look like, here is how my plugs look like after 7000km which would be around the same age as your plugs plus we both drive our cars hard most of the time
Attached Thumbnails CLS63TT spark plug broke-img-20120430-00619.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for sure my other plug looked better and cleaner than this one :S

but i will take a picture for all of them .
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS63 AMG

250, wow. yah the car was probably pulling timing when it felt slow like that.

Last edited by Saeedg48; 05-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
If he wanted to hide something he would have not posted at all. After years on this forum I have realized that if you post about your engine issues; members will come up with their own supposition on what did or did not happen. They will also lay blame where THEY feel the failure occurred.

This is all fine since Ali posted it in a public forum (opinions have to be expected) but lets wait and see what the techs really say. The bottom line is if one mods their car, they better have the "pay to play" mentality just in case.

I wonder if some tuners are advancing too much timing---

Last edited by Vic55; 05-01-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

for sure my other plug looked better and cleaner than this one :S

but i will take a picture for all of them .
Cool let me tell you something if your plug looks better than those probably your running lean this shows a bit rich so this puts everything back to your tune let's wait for the pics
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
If he wanted to hide something he would have not posted at all. After years on this forum I have realized that if you post about your engine issues; members will come up with their own supposition on what did or did not happen. They will also lay blame where THEY feel the failure occurred.

This is all fine since Ali posted it in a public forum (opinions have to be expected) but lets wait and see what the techs really say. The bottom line is if one mods their car, they better have the "pay to play" mentality just in case.

I wonder if some tuners are advancing too much timing---
We come in this forums to share info and benefit from our experiences, Ali is sharing the info but is updating us towards what he believes happen, the pic of the plug shows detonation! He mentioned melting and then blames it on his eye sight we all drive those plugs in our cars if I had a problem I will share it so all the others would avoid it. If you go back to your dyno thread Ali mentioned how better the AFR is with the tune, so he must have asked for advancing the timing for more power and this is the consiquenses of his interference in the tune. I hope I am wrong but you must expect the argument on all possible couses. Sorry if this doesn't make some comftable, I like everyone with the V8TT would want to know!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator

We come in this forums to share info and benefit from our experiences, Ali is sharing the info but is updating us towards what he believes happen, the pic of the plug shows detonation! He mentioned melting and then blames it on his eye sight we all drive those plugs in our cars if I had a problem I will share it so all the others would avoid it. If you go back to your dyno thread Ali mentioned how better the AFR is with the tune, so he must have asked for advancing the timing for more power and this is the consiquenses of his interference in the tune. I hope I am wrong but you must expect the argument on all possible couses. Sorry if this doesn't make some comftable, I like everyone with the V8TT would want to know!
You basically said what I stated--- since Ali came and made it public he has to expect posts on what happened.

But like i said, Id like to hear what the techs say that actually touch his car and I too hope he gets his car fixed... for free.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
This thread is a bummer. Looks like for the time being the CLS since its getting hotter in phoenix will live off a diet of 100 octane.

Really interested to see more pictures.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i did not ask for more timing from the tuner or anything, i have exactly what vic has on his car. and my AFR is richer than what i had on stock tune

techs will propably blame it on the tune even if it is a fualty plug.

and yet till now they didn't report to me on what is wrong with the engine

guess they didn't poped the head or used a mico camera.

if the bore is fine i will fix it and use NGK plugs and check them every 5k

head cost 7000AED ( about $1900 ) , each valve cost 140AED ( less than $40)

so part wise will be maximum $2500, but labor wise will be Total RIP OFF.

these are the prices if i have to pay. untill now, dealer didn't take a decision if it is under warranty will be fixed.

Last edited by Ali_E55; 05-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 AM

2009 CLS63 AMG
i did not ask for more timing from the tuner or anything, i have exactly what vic has on his car. and my AFR is richer than what i had on stock tune

techs will propably blame it on the tune even if it is a fualty plug.

and yet till now they didn't report to me on what is wrong with the engine

guess they didn't poped the head or used a mico camera.

if the bore is fine i will fix it and use NGK plugs and check them every 5k

head cost 7000AED ( about $1900 ) , each valve cost 140AED ( less than $40)

so part wise will be maximum $2500, but labor wise will be Total RIP OFF.

these are the prices if i have to pay. untill now, dealer didn't take a decision if it is under warranty will be fixed.
first off, thank you for sharing. so why did you need to replace these parts, because the spark plug electrode fell off and started rolling around or was it for other reasons? thank you in advanced.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saeedg48
first off, thank you for sharing. so why did you need to replace these parts, because the spark plug electrode fell off and started rolling around or was it for other reasons? thank you in advanced.
you are welcome

primary check up by dealer is that for sure the valves and cylinder head is damaged, piston ring and bore seems not affected ( i hope ) because they can't see it now unless they open up the engine and double check.

micro camera shows no affect on other parts.

will keep you guys updated as soon as a hear something new

Last edited by Ali_E55; 05-02-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 AM

2009 CLS63 AMG
you are welcome

primary check up by dealer is that for sure the valves and cylinder head is damaged, piston ring and bore seems not affected ( i hope ) because they can't see it now unless they open up the engine and double check.

ok thanks for this new information. back to my original question; why did these parts need to be changed what was the cause? was the cause a simple spark plug failure?

i don't know too much about engines, so what you're saying is the spark plugs caused this issues, damn that's wack..
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM

2014 GT-R; 2014 GL 350 BTC
you are welcome

Ali, does that mean the dealer has officially denied your warranty service claim now or are they still considering repairing it under warranty? Btw, so sorry about all of this for you. It is my worst nightmare now that my ecu is out getting tuned by renntech.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
you are welcome

Ali I don't want to be negative and I'm sorry you are in this situation but think about what happens when an object is inserted into a combustion chamber. It will bounce around and damage everything inside. Especially at high rpm. I have taken many motors apart and if a valve dropped in that cylinder everything is toast. In this case the object is the electrode from the spark plug. The object will hit the piston, heads, and cylinder walls. There's no way it will only hit the head
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM

07 cls63 amg, 09 R1
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
In this case the object is the electrode from the spark plug. The object will hit the piston, heads, and cylinder walls. There's no way it will only hit the head
Actually it can just fly out through exhaust port and hit nothing.
If you unlucky it can get pinched between valve and valve seat or if squish is smaller than piece it will get stamped in to piston and sit there. I have never seen electrode damage cylinder wall, at least on motorcycle engine that I work on all the time.
Since compression is down on Ali's engine I would do simple leak down test and see where it is leaking. It will tell if exhaust valve, intake or piston. Simple test that points to problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS63TT spark plug broke