2013 CLS63 AMG Impressions and a Question Regarding Squeaking Break

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS 63 AMG
2013 CLS63 AMG Impressions and a Question Regarding Squeaking Break

Hi All,

First I am new to the forums and new to MB.
Over the weekend I picked up my new ride, a CLS63 AMG. (Attaching some pictures here) I was in the market for a new car for a while, after checking out the R8 (and realizing it not being super practical with the 2 seater) to the Panamera and new BMW 6 series gran coupe, eventually I decided on the CLS63. I will be honest, fell in love with the looks of the car over anything else almost immediately, then realizing the all the power and performance, it was a relatively easy decision then.

Now I have had the car for a total of 5 days, here are my initial impressions:

1) Amazing power and acceleration. Still can't get over the fact that it can ride like a comfortable sedan one minute and turn into an angry racing coupe with a few buttons pushes. Love the AMG suspension tuning and Sports+ mode. I previously drove a BMW stick, so the manual paddle shifting while not the same, does give me back some of my itch for having more of a interactive driving style. The car handles like a dream, super smooth and LOVE the engine sound, it's near perfection.

2) Nice interior and software systems, but I would have expected more for a $110k car. In particular I can't get over how retarded the whole COMMAND system is. Coming over from BMW, I thought their iDrive **** is bad, but this is even worse. The navigation system is a chore to use, can't figure out how to get rid of all the automatic POI popups, can't intuitively figure out how to display the route list. Don't even get me started on junk software like mBrace, that thing is slower than a 56k modem. I am also disappointed that basic stuff like engine oil level can't be shown and somehow all the service level data, your car's stats etc can't be displayed in center console, but rather is squeeze into a tiny circle that shares the same space as your odometer, and the whole thing is controlled by 4 buttons on the driving wheel. Seriously the entire user interface feels very outdated. But maybe you don't buy this car for the user interface, rather you buy it for the AMG performance. Also the more I get to know the car, the more I get annoyed with standard features on most high end luxury cars missing from this model - automatic folding mirrors (only in canada, wtf?), rear seat climate control, etc etc. Annoying but not a super big deal.

3) Breaks squeaking. I came to this forum primarily seeking answer to see if it's normal for a brand new car to have squeaky breaks. Turns out after some searching, it's a fairly common mb problem? That's also a bit surprising to me. The squeaks sounds like what others are describing, not super loud, but annoying as you coast into a stop just before it comes to a complete stop. If I break really hard, it doesn't have this problem. Some of the suggestions have been to try to get car to a higher speed, then breaking hard, rinse and repeat to remove some coating? What exactly is going on? Any other suggestions? I was almost going to go take the car back to the dealership, but after searching on here it seems like I should just break hard to stop it from happening. If you have any other knowledge on this issue, please do share with me.

Ok well that's it for now, will update later if the squeaking stops after trying to break hard a few times. I do love the car outside of a few minor complaints and gripes Ultimately I bought car for its performance and looks, so far it has excelled and exceeded my highest expectations.

Z
Attached Thumbnails 2013 CLS63 AMG Impressions and a Question Regarding Squeaking Break-img_0765.jpg   2013 CLS63 AMG Impressions and a Question Regarding Squeaking Break-img_0771.jpg   2013 CLS63 AMG Impressions and a Question Regarding Squeaking Break-img_0767.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Beautiful. Congrats! I share your views on the "technology" part. My previous car was also an MB but the one before (2006) was a BMW and to this day, my 2006 550 is still the best car I have ever had from a technology standpoint.

And yes, I also love the schizophrenic personalities of this car. I don't have the break squeaking issue though. Maybe it will go away over time.