C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

9500ci install

Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS 63, 2013 Gallardo LP550
9500ci install

Finished up my 9500ci install and very happy with it so far. Installed it with removal in mind so when the car is sold there will be no obvious installation history.

It's a pretty straight forward install once you learn how to disassemble the parts needed to gain access to what you are doing. Took about 8-10 hours of my time over a few weekends which also included lots of modding rear center console, door and trunk for rattles. Could likely install just the kit in 3-4 hours.

Since I'm in CA where laser diffusers are illegal, they are mounted behind the grill. Surely their performance will be hindered and I'm okay with that vs a fine. They mostly use KA band in my area so laser it not my main concern as well. Diffusers are leveled and pointed straight ahead. Rear diffuser has not been installed since it can't be hidden.

Only needed to purchase some braided hose covering for the engine bay, double sided extreme 3m tape to mount the display module, felt tape to cover wires and such, Velcro to mount the hub, fuse tap for power and RJ11 connectors.

Original plan was to mount the control unit in the ashtray compartment but decided against that after a short mock up. It was awkward to use in such a small space and put fingerprints on the black gloss finish around it. Display was going to to on top of the rear view mirror but decided against that as the wire was too exposed for my liking. The display is not a perfect position although a decent trade off for keeping it less obvious. In order to see it completely, I need to lean slightly to see over the steering wheel. It's kind of a secondary device though since the unit has voice alerts for the main alert device. Control unit is great where it is, buttons are very easy to use by touch alone.

If anyone has any questions or has plans to do it themselves just ask and I'll be happy to try and help. Took advantage of having the car apart to apply felt tape to every interior component that was apart (and then some). Car is now significantly quieter with barely a rattle or moan.

Diffuser

Hub interface installed behind left side dash panel.

Power tap and access point into cabin.

USB port beside hood latch

Last edited by CLS63W218; 12-27-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
isnt there a way to integrate the system into the center lcd screen on the speedo

i think someone here did that...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by vdubpower
isnt there a way to integrate the system into the center lcd screen on the speedo

i think someone here did that...
Yep, mine
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
Where did you mount the radar unit and what areas did you target to reduce rattles? I have a few annoying rattles - primarily coming from the rear console area (sounds like it is possibly coming from rear parktronic overhead module but haven't fully explored yet) as well as behind the two plastic pieces on the driver and passenger side area behind the seatbelt height adjusters.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Decided against the Mid City interface as it requires you to be in audio mode to see anything and I like to drive with the speed displayed. Who knows, I may still put it in later as it's a simple add on at this point.
_____

Radar unit is behind the Mercedes front emblem. Already have done a comparison with my my window mounted 9500ix while driving down the hwy and the 9500ci alerted a little sooner. Plan to continue using the 9500ix in conjunction with the 9500ci to be sure the radar unit is not being hindered behind the emblem but it's looking good.

For rattles, there were many! My wife thinks I'm crazy for taking so much apart.

-Dash carbon fiber panel was buzzing around steering wheel.
-Instrument display buzzed
-Command display surround buzzed.
-Rear center console buzzed, if you knock the side of it, it sounded like cheap plastic.
-Passenger door had a rattle with heavy loud bass.
-Rear overhead parktronic unit.
-Ashtray
-Comfort Tray in trunk (optional item)
-Only factory error was the trunk had a HUGE buzz from the amp mount, one nut was completely loose (almost about to fall off of long stud). The bracket it held on created a major buzz since it was long thin steel strap. (this was a tricky one to track down as it sounded like it was coming from the rear shelf, center console or other areas)

Nut was loose on bracket at 2 oclock area of photo.

The car is seriously quiet now. There is pretty much noise only on large bumps when the chassis shudders. I can drive with stereo off and not hear much other than the tire noise.

If you need help on anything let me know.

Last edited by CLS63W218; 12-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1970 220D
The position of the radar Antenna and laser jammer heads are very important as to their performance. The worst place to place the radar antenna is behind a metallic object including a non-metalic object painted with a metalic paint. The next worst pace to place the radar antenna is behind a grille. . The openings of them grille can change greatly reduce the radar signal, even if the grill is not metalic. It is better to place the antenna behind a flat nonmetallic solid. The best place to place the antenna is in an area where the front of the antenna has an unobstructed view of the road.

As far as the laser jammers, in Calufornia, they are no more illegal than speeding. Not only would I recommend moving them to an unobstructed area, I would recommend upgrading to the laser interceptor or Blinder HP 905.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by CLS63W218
Plan to continue using the 9500ix .

When ever you decide to sell the 9500ix, can you pm me? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63

If you need help on anything let me know.
Can you provide more details on how did you remove buzzing? Did you use special tape or other stuff? BTW how did you remove the door panel?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
These are the ones I know for sure I have. What did you do to fix them?

_____

-Rear center console buzzed, if you knock the side of it, it sounded like cheap plastic.
-Passenger door had a rattle with heavy loud bass.
-Rear overhead parktronic unit.
-Ashtray
-(something that sounds like it is coming from the rear shelf, center console or other areas)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Klinh, sorry my good friend already has dibs on it.

____

Rattles and buzzes are just from hard plastic pieces rubbing against each other. All you need to do is put some sort of buffer between them like felt tape. I used this from Amazon and cut it to fit what I was doing (typically 1/4" wide strips) shown in these photos of the instrument surround and dash where it would contact another component.

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-P.../dp/B000QC6HVS

Last edited by CLS63W218; 12-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by wheelsloose
These are the ones I know for sure I have. What did you do to fix them?

4 bolts hold this on. Two from the inside of the front center console rear top section beside/under hinges and two under the rear seat cushions. Just pull up hard on the front edge of the rear seat cushions and then push them straight back and up slightly to remove from it's rear hooks and then pull forward again to remove from those baby seat bars. You'll need to remove the cigarette lighter to disconnect it's electrical plug and then pull the entire console up and forward from the front air vent area.

The bugger on this is you'll need to remove the cigarette lighter before the console can removed from the car as the lighters electrical plug isn't accessible unless you pull it out. Mercedes uses a special tool for this but I just used some C-Clip pliers with the ends turned out. Once out, I unbolted the inner section and felt taped all around the outside ridges of the inner console and any other plastic on plastic areas. De greased the sliding ribbed panels slots (exposed area when open) and put some thin strips of felt tape onto the inner edges of the track. Other than the cigarette plug, this is an easy removal.

Here is something from the web showing the tool from another Mercedes model instructions (unrelated to the CLS other than the tool and lighter).
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/su...6_173737_1.jpg

This tool may also work although I never tried it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261121803895

-Passenger door had a rattle with heavy loud bass. Very easy removal. Just unbolt the two bolts from the chrome door cap at the top rear edge of the door, put cap aside. Remove two bolts from under hand pull / armrest. Remove front speaker tweeter pod with a panel tool by prying up on the bottom. It's only held in with 1 clip on the bottom and a downward hook on it's back side. Use panel tool to pry inner panel from door and pop out the clips holding he panel on (they make a loud noise but are extremely strong and will be reusable). Unplug electrical connectors and unhook door pull cable and you're done. I felt taped a bunch and used Hot Glue on a few seams like the factory did.

My door also had a buzz from the front doors pocket area at the rear/top of it. I folded a wad of felt tape and stuffed it up in the gap of the two sections with a slotted screw driver to stop the buzz.

To test for the buzzes especially door ones, copy this low frequency test tone to your ipod/iphone and use some volume:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...cychecklow.php

-Rear overhead parktronic unit. - Simple one. Just pull down from rear edge with a panel removal tool. Once out remove the electrical connector and apply felt tape to any edges. Also applied felt tape to the slotted sections (you'll know what I mean when it's out). Applied a little gel crazy glue to the lights clips as well.

-Ashtray - Just removed and put thin strip of felt tape around the lower ribs.

The car is very well made. Unlike many vehicles, all the above seems like it can be disassembled dozens of times without breaking or wearing anything out.

Last edited by CLS63W218; 12-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Received 505 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Fantastic work and great information sharing. I will tell you to save yourself $600.00 and skip the Mid City Interface. A cool gadget to impress your friends but it adds no real benefit in terms of operational ease.

I had this complete setup installed on my car before I ever took delivery so I don't know if my car had squeaks and rattles before it was completed. From what you are reporting I'm wondering if those irritating rattles I hear are the result of the 9500 install. Will definitely need to have this problem investigated further.

Was your CLS rattle free before the install?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Rock, these rattles were there before the install. Overall the car is made pretty well, they Mercedes used some low quality plastic in places like the rear center console or didn't felt tape things like my Carbon fiber dash panels or the command surround (take a look at the command surround, its plastic on plastic and pretty thin too). I decided to kill two birds with one stone and address them when installing the 9500ci.

As you can see I went OCD with trying to make the car as quiet as possible and many fixes weren't related to the 9500ci install at all. The results are very noticeable and I would surely do it all over again for sure. Time well spent.

Last edited by CLS63W218; 12-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.