MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C218 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218-175/)
-   -   Lowering options for CLS63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c218/493146-lowering-options-cls63.html)

eball77 03-24-2013 08:09 PM

Lowering options for CLS63

Hey guys , just took delivery of a Diamond White 2013 CLS63 with Performance package and P1 package along with the carbon fiber trim and spoiler. I can't believe what a beast this thing is!!!

I absolutely love everything about this vehicle except for the ride height and some of the chrome lettering/trim.......... What lowering modules / coilover options have you guys had success with?? My dealer told me coilovers were a very bad idea because of the airmatic suspension but it looks like there are plenty of modded CLS63's doing just fine with them. Anybody used the renntech lowering module??

Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

eball77 03-24-2013 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick picture.

emericr 03-24-2013 08:44 PM

Congrats on the ride, I got mine last week as well. Alanite matte grey with PP.
I believe a few vendors have a lowering kit (Renntech for sure, go their site) but if you do a search you will find more for less $$.
I will also try to get most of the chrome painted.

vdubpower 03-24-2013 09:07 PM

kw is what everyone uses

otherotherbenz 03-25-2013 04:10 AM

I dont know why, on my car the KW's are very very stiff and bouncy. I don't know if it's just that I am too sensitive, or is it because the wheels/tires I'm running or maybe even because of an incorrect installation

saifsaif 03-25-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by otherotherbenz (Post 5590035)
I dont know why, on my car the KW's are very very stiff and bouncy. I don't know if it's just that I am too sensitive, or is it because the wheels/tires I'm running or maybe even because of an incorrect installation

U r right, KW is too stiff thats why i am going with H&R spring ,

otherotherbenz 03-25-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by saifsaif (Post 5590129)
U r right, KW is too stiff thats why i am going with H&R spring ,

Yea, I kinda regret getting the KW's.. should have bought the H&R's instead, same (if not probably better) driving quality and drop for a 3x cheaper price..
Thinking about switching to H&R's and sell the KW's now.. Have you installed the H&R's on your car?

vdubpower 03-26-2013 02:02 AM

thats my fear with kw, looks great but i have the PP version of the suspension and its already pretty tight, no need for more stiffness.

sport plus suspension is only good for pristine asphalt or a race track, but for everyday So-cal ****ty freeways i leave it in comfort

a set of KW is just gonna make me turn on the massage feature more often

can u post the H and R part number and specifics, thanks

TFKompressor 03-26-2013 02:18 AM

vdubpower i got a set of H&R with adjustable rear end that i never installed on my 63. pm me for info.

saifsaif 03-26-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by otherotherbenz (Post 5590964)
Yea, I kinda regret getting the KW's.. should have bought the H&R's instead, same (if not probably better) driving quality and drop for a 3x cheaper price..
Thinking about switching to H&R's and sell the KW's now.. Have you installed the H&R's on your car?

No but soon i will

eball77 03-26-2013 03:54 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. It sounds like the KW's are quite a big sacrifice of ride comfort and I'm not sure I want to deal with that. Nobody has tried the Renntech lowering module huh??

TFKompressor 03-26-2013 04:22 PM

Had KWs, and switched out for a set of Evoklass. I liked it because KW didn't allow for rear adjustment and the rear of my CLS sat lower than the front (or at least it appeared that way).

now i have full adjustment front and rear all the way up to stock height if needed. i notice the lower i go, the more bouncy it gets. that's probably a function of less travel on the front shock and less air in the rear compressors.

vdubpower 03-27-2013 12:40 AM

tfk, why not use the Hand R's vs using evoklass, what made u pics on vs the other

in regards to ride, if u read all of vic55 post on the kw he loves them, but i think he likes the stiffest settings for the windy roads

Rock 03-27-2013 07:55 AM

I agree that the KW's make for a stiff ride. I love the stance that they create with spacers but you better be traveling on smoothe roads if you don't want your teeth to rattle. Are the H&R's going to be better because of a different spring rate?

TFKompressor 03-27-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by vdubpower (Post 5592311)
tfk, why not use the Hand R's vs using evoklass, what made u pics on vs the other

in regards to ride, if u read all of vic55 post on the kw he loves them, but i think he likes the stiffest settings for the windy roads

the evoklass are fully adjustable front&rear all the way up to stock height.

CLS63W218 03-27-2013 03:03 PM

What are the spring rate differences between the 3 brands? KW, H&R and Evoklass? Any vendors or amnufacturers have this info?

FYI, The latest KW come with adjustable rear links as well or at least mine did back in Sept. They were plastic so I still purchased metal ones from Vivid.

Vic55 03-27-2013 03:48 PM

Your dampeners will have a greater effect on stiffness than the springs... most of us that have used the KW's have the PP on the cars which creates that "so called" bone jarring ride. The PP shocks are rather stiff.

On my wagon I dropped it with KW's but the wagon doesnt get the PP dampeners so the ride was a bit more compliant. For me it was too soft as Id rather have less body roll and more chassis control than comfort to ensure my driving experience is maximized. I have great roads where I live so I enjoy the KW's.

Another factor is how low do you drop your cars- as you compress the KW's down the shocks get pushed even more out of there functional range which will create more rebound and compression results.

vdubpower 03-27-2013 06:39 PM

i guess the correct solution is set that has both shocks and springs made to work with each other

Vic55 03-27-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by vdubpower (Post 5593095)
i guess the correct solution is set that has both shocks and springs made to work with each other

LOL thats called "coilovers".

CLS63W218 03-27-2013 09:54 PM

Even the stock AMG shocks are stiff over sharp bumps. They send shudders through the chassis.

saifsaif 03-29-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CLS63W218 (Post 5592871)
What are the spring rate differences between the 3 brands? KW, H&R and Evoklass? Any vendors or amnufacturers have this info?

FYI, The latest KW come with adjustable rear links as well or at least mine did back in Sept. They were plastic so I still purchased metal ones from Vivid.

We need to find out the differences netween kw, Evoklass , and Renntech kit. Te three adjustable kits

E-SICKTY3 04-03-2013 10:31 PM

From my experience with KWs on PP -- rear end is really stiff with the KW links. Front seems to be more compliant (it is ok for me). Will changing it with adjustable links makes it more comfortable? Anyone know?

vdubpower 04-03-2013 11:04 PM

seems i will be keeping stock ride, idont want it any harsher

Vic55 04-04-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by E-SICKTY3 (Post 5601474)
From my experience with KWs on PP -- rear end is really stiff with the KW links. Front seems to be more compliant (it is ok for me). Will changing it with adjustable links makes it more comfortable? Anyone know?

The links in the rear are the same as any other link; they are just a tool to lower the car and not a shock or spring. The rear has airmatic suspension so if you used a KW link, Renntech, etc, you would still have the same suspension spring rates and shocks as anyone else with the same setup (pp). The key for the rear is how low you drop it.

E-SICKTY3 04-04-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 5601968)
The links in the rear are the same as any other link; they are just a tool to lower the car and not a shock or spring. The rear has airmatic suspension so if you used a KW link, Renntech, etc, you would still have the same suspension spring rates and shocks as anyone else with the same setup (pp). The key for the rear is how low you drop it.

Thanks Vic. I guess that's how the car rides then :). I dropped mine with exactly one finger gap all around -- just like your CLS before, but not sure how you think about the rear comfort wise (maybe I'm not used to that many stiff rides and it is one's preference). The KWs definitely handles really well through corners and high speed driving though.