2014 CLS63 order, comparison with competitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by eball77
Obama could buy a Bugatti with the taxes I've paid already this year and I'll admit to my share of *****ing and moaning at times but at the end of the day if you can work a CLS63 into your budget you are living a pretty good life.
hear hear
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Close Jeremy, I'm 34 and an attorney. And I don't have a problem with someone's life choices. My problem is *****ing and moaning that some piece of legislation is making it hard for you to be able to afford the same type of toys as "retired NBA stars". That's like me saying people don't know what it's like to truly struggle and have to buy a CLS63 and not be able to afford an R8. I hate when people complain about wealthy (or smart) individuals for utilizing the tax code and tax "loopholes" so they can end up paying less in taxes and I hate when people who are well off that complain about money being so tight they can only eat imported caviar 4 days a week instead of 5.

OP, I have no issues with whatever car you want to get and however you choose to make the decision. And it is your right to complain about whatever you want. But I too have the right to verbally "roll my eyes" when you lament the fact that you can't afford the same type of car one of the best non-UCLA point guards that ever came out of the PAC-10 can afford.

Also, what's great Jeremy is that you called me a "Democrap". If you're going to do it, at least call me a pinko-leftist commie or a bleeding heart obsessive compulsive car modder. Even though I am none of those things...well maybe one of them.
Love the point of view! I'm glad you didn't inherit.....would have ruined my day.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech CLS55
Originally Posted by hyperion667
are you any closer to picking out a new ride OP?
Thanks for asking...

I'm going to visit the dealership this weekend. Hopefully they will know if the S-model actually does in fact include the LSD as standard equipment. If it does end up being an extra cost option, I'll consider getting the standard 4MATIC model with it, and use the savings to offset the cost of an ECU upgrade, lowering (at least if it doesn't interfere with the 4MATIC), wheels, and painted rotors from a local shop. I'll end up with more power but a weakened warranty. Fortunately the local dealership is generally pretty tolerant of 3rd party work when done properly.

Color choices have narrowed to Black or Diamond White, with black wheels. I like two tone interiors so will go with Designo Platinum or Ash/Black, with Piano Black trim. Last time I saw the Ash leather I didn't love the color but will check it out again since it would save about $4k and 6-8 weeks.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by eric.kovalsky
Thanks for asking...

I'm going to visit the dealership this weekend. Hopefully they will know if the S-model actually does in fact include the LSD as standard equipment. If it does end up being an extra cost option, I'll consider getting the standard 4MATIC model with it, and use the savings to offset the cost of an ECU upgrade, lowering (at least if it doesn't interfere with the 4MATIC), wheels, and painted rotors from a local shop. I'll end up with more power but a weakened warranty. Fortunately the local dealership is generally pretty tolerant of 3rd party work when done properly.

Color choices have narrowed to Black or Diamond White, with black wheels. I like two tone interiors so will go with Designo Platinum or Ash/Black, with Piano Black trim. Last time I saw the Ash leather I didn't love the color but will check it out again since it would save about $4k and 6-8 weeks.
I wonder if the 4matic coupled with the LSD would be over kill......my car is obviously not 'matic, but I was 'convinced' to get LSD anyway.......
bravo on the Designo, I have configured 3 cars now and really regret not getting it, especially on my cls because hot damn I love this car.....
I do have ash in my cls too and think it's okay, if I did it again I probably
would choose a different color scheme inside the car....it's only out a couple of days a week, and that was part of my thought process while trying to choose a color.........but in the long run, I should have waited the extra time for the designo....
I have 'some' piano trim on my console, and don't think it's too special, but I guess with the right color leather it would be okay. I', currently working with MACarbon on a CF (wrapped) center console, even the small gear shift nub.......
the options this year actually seem pretty daunting because of the number of them, but oh what fun it would be to configure another one
guess I'll have to wait and see if I get the W222.....now THAT will have designo damnit!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Vic55
Im a Senior Pizza Delivery Driver.......

cocaine thick crust with pepperoni sure does get me good tips.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 PM

2014 CLS63-S Model
Eric -- Your CLS build sounds awesome. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I have recently ordered my 2014 CLS63-S as well and thought I'd mention a few things to see if you (or anyone else) has heard differently...

1) The MB websites and various literature show that the LSD is standard on the Model-S, but when I ordered mine, they said it was $2k option. I elected not to order.... but then when I got my expanded build summary, it showed the LSD (option #471) on it! Who knows? The dealer's obviously don't.

2) The MB websites and various literature also show that the Model-S will feature the 10-spoke wheels (Code 792), but they did show these as available on the ordering guide, so I had to pick a different wheel. I really liked the 10-spoke design, so this was very disappointing. I will sell the stock wheels and put $ toward new ones.

3) The carbon fiber spoiler was no-charge, but I had to select it on the order form. I did not see anything about a carbon fiber engine cover.

Let me know if you have any other info. Thanks.

In case you are interested, I went with Iridium silver, carbon fiber spoiler, carbon fiber interior trim, Designo platinum-white leather inlays, Premium 1 pkg., driver asst. pkg., rear airbags (for the kids), and Parktronic.

Last edited by Ryan1; 07-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Renntech CLS55
Ryan - Thank you, that is great info. Your car sounds awesome. I guess the LSD is indeed part of the S-model, and the Dealer Order Guide should show it as available only on the standard AMG model. If I learn anything from the dealer about the 10-spoke wheels I will report back. Like you I much prefer them to the other AMG offerings, enough that I might forego aftermarket wheels. On the AMG site it shows them as available in titanium grey as well as black btw.

Hyperion - I have wondered the same about the LSD with 4MATIC, but presume they work synergistically since M-B has seemingly made the decision to include it as standard equipment with the S-model. Since most of the power (67%) is still going to the rear axle, the reasons for having it are probably the same as on your car.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
I was at the dealership yesterday and the salesman that I'm working with allowed me to see the build program they have for the 2014s. It definitely showed the LSD and the 10 spoke titanium grey wheels as standard ("edited" on the S-Model aka CLS63P), however if you wanted them in black that was an option. There were still a few features/options the had the prices still to be determined. Overall if you look at the guide that was previously attached and this brochure (http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...-CLS-Class.pdf) you can't go wrong it put you in the ballpark. When I did my preliminary build, the salesman had an option for a CF engine compartment cover for $5400.00 and we still haven't been able to get any clarification on it and what it includes. However, it seems very pricey to me for one or two pieces of CF. Good luck on your builds, according to the salesman, MB will start building next week.

P.S. not a doctor nor a lawyer, but I make a lot of sacrifices for this great country of ours so if your able to afford anything in this price range your doing a lot better than the majority of Americans. Just think, if your were in Europe you would have to pay at least 200K for the same car with options. Don't believe me take a look at Mercedes Benz.De

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ialEdition_tag

Hope this help answer a few questions.

Last edited by TDwayne69; 07-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 507 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Vic55
did not work........

for me

I'm not surprised………

Eric Kovalsky, good luck with the build and I'm looking forward to pictures and your review. If I would have known that Mercedes was going to offer the CLS AMG in 4MATIC, I would have postponed my order. 500+hp is not easy to get down with only two wheels doing all the work.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric.kovalsky
Long post here!
Sadly I'm a physician in the era of Obamacare and not a pro athlete, so I need to pretend this does not exist.
I hear you. Wife is an eye surgeon, and them cuts ain't what they were worth a few years ago.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Did you honestly just post some ridiculously long thread about what luxury car you are going to buy and then had the chutzpah to write:

"Sadly I'm a physician in the era of Obamacare and not a pro athlete, so I need to pretend this does not exist."

Even as a joke you sound like a male Marie Antoinette....god forbid we live in a society where a physician can't afford the same vehicles as a retired NBA star! Perish the thought! Hopefully you don't live here in California with such Obama tax victims as Phil Mickelson and everyone living in Newport Beach. Paraphrasing the great MLK, "I had a dream, where one day, rich doctors could pontificate on which European luxury car to purchase. Where they won't be judged by the color of their designo paint but by the content of their performance package."

Sorry for the rant...actually no I'm not. Good luck with your upcoming purchase and may your malpractice premiums not infringe on your Ski Trips to the Swiss Alps and your butlers' 401k plans. I may be an unabashed as*hole, but I'd rather be that than a giant "cement truck of douche" that feels the need to shameless namedrop Mike Bibby. Too bad you don't make enough money to buy a house near Kerry Kittles or Damon Stoudemire's cousin.

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a convertible Crossfire, go to Brooks Brothers and purchase a sweater to wrap around your neck, and drive around poor neighborhoods throwing pennies everywhere and laughing like an inbred descendent of Thurston Howell III.
I don't mean to butt in (well, I do!) but the cost of procedures (depending on specialty) has gone so far down, when malpractice exposure has actually increased, that a doctor does have to think twice on what disposable asset to tie a not-inconsiderable amount of money. Make no mistake, a doctor owning a practice is seeing significant reduction in overall revenue (or increase of amount of work to maintain past levels). It is not quite to the level of complaining about stuff (being a doctor with a successful practice that is getting less money is like being traded by the Yankees, you will still be well off), but it is a very real consideration.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
what is a chutzpah ??
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM

2014 CLS63-S Model
TD Wayne -- You mention "the guide that was previously attached"... Can you send me that or a link?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM

Renntech CLS55
Originally Posted by Pagani
I don't mean to butt in (well, I do!) but the cost of procedures (depending on specialty) has gone so far down, when malpractice exposure has actually increased, that a doctor does have to think twice on what disposable asset to tie a not-inconsiderable amount of money. Make no mistake, a doctor owning a practice is seeing significant reduction in overall revenue (or increase of amount of work to maintain past levels). It is not quite to the level of complaining about stuff (being a doctor with a successful practice that is getting less money is like being traded by the Yankees, you will still be well off), but it is a very real consideration.
I agree completely. I feel privileged even be shopping for such a fine vehicle, which I fully realize is beyond the scope for most. I did not want to come across as a malcontent crybaby about my livelihood. I still get paid well, and sleep better at night knowing that I spend my days doing something benevolent, rather than screwing people over, ripping them off, or making their life miserable.

That said, it is very sad to see the medical field getting progressively crushed by price fixing and excessive regulations dictated by legislation written by special interests, named in doublespeak, which will accomplish nothing except increase cost, limit access, and reduce quality not to mention further empower the IRS to collect and abuse personal data to intimidate potential enemies upon demand.

For any attorneys who are disgusted by my rant, consider if similar legislation were enacted to control legal costs. How would you feel if you could only bill $75/hr instead of $400/hr for a divorce or criminal case ? Win a personal injury case, get a flat fee of $1,000. Of course those figures are subject to double digit percentage cuts anytime too much is getting spent or there is a need to redistribute more wealth. Bill out a minute more time than actually used, or get caught using a paralegal to do something you should have done or billed for yourself, well you're now guilty of fraud and fined tens of thousands of dollars per instance, not to mention potential jail time and loss of your license. And be aware your accounts receivable will be frozen occasionally for an indefinite period of time if there are problems processing claims or codes change. Of course, this will never happen, given the prevalent profession of those writing the laws or our land.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Even as an attorney, I think this county is way too litigious and (good) doctors often have to suffer from and constantly worry about the ever present increased and unwarranted threats of litigation. So OP I actually agree with you there.

Side note, has anyone here thought of getting the new E63 wagon? Does anyone think Hyperion's car is too low? Why can't I buy any other wheels besides HRE? And do you think this rash will spread?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
gotta agree with my doctor colleagues . Ive recently started practice and its a tuff world out there, but at the same time fun and satisfying.

and yes the rash will spread
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM

2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Ryan1
TD Wayne -- You mention "the guide that was previously attached"... Can you send me that or a link?

Hello Ryan,

The guide that I'm referring to is attached to the OPs original post and I've linked it below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5707703-post1.html
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM

2014 CLS63-S Model
Now my dealer has confirmed that indeed the LSD and the preferred 10-spoke wheels are standard equipment on the S-models.

HOWEVER, now my dealer says my order is no longer changeable and that I will get the car with the 5 spoke wheels (I did not want to begin with), not the 10 spoke wheels I wanted all along. He says that at the time of my order the 10 spoke wheels did not show up at all on there ordering system as either standard or optional equip.

Now I am frustrated because MB has been publishing that both the LSD and 10-spoke wheels are standard on the S-Models since January!!! Anyway, is it unreasonable for me to expect the dealership to fix this without further delay to my build, or is this par for the course with MB? At this price point, I had expected better... at lease better communication between MB and the US dealers.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Yeah that's really unfortunate, because the option has been visable for awhile now. Well look at it this way, now this give you even stronger reason to get you some HREs. So far, I think you will be the first person that's on the board to take order. I'm waiting on the official release so I can get a discount from USAA.

Congrats
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whats funny is that the 10 spokes u see on the 2014 are just the original equipment 10 spoke that the 2012 cars came with , which are a Cast wheel, where as the more popular wheels seemed to be the forged 5 spoke wheel, that more people opted for

now the new models toss a little paint on the old style wheel and its coveted.

i assume the 5 spoke option is the forged one as with the 2012, but they are pretty boring looking
Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
That is funny, but even funnier is that fact that a large percentage of owners of these cars get aftermarket wheels regardless of which one they choose. With that said, I'm going with the titanium 10 spoke, but I will definitely be upgrading soon after delivery.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thats one of the reasons when i got my car, i was ok with the 10 spokes, personally i liked the look, the forged option is nice too, but everyone had it.

i could care less about the forged vs cast argument for that wheel, it made no difference with performance in this case.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Ryan1
Now my dealer has confirmed that indeed the LSD and the preferred 10-spoke wheels are standard equipment on the S-models.

HOWEVER, now my dealer says my order is no longer changeable and that I will get the car with the 5 spoke wheels (I did not want to begin with), not the 10 spoke wheels I wanted all along. He says that at the time of my order the 10 spoke wheels did not show up at all on there ordering system as either standard or optional equip.

Now I am frustrated because MB has been publishing that both the LSD and 10-spoke wheels are standard on the S-Models since January!!! Anyway, is it unreasonable for me to expect the dealership to fix this without further delay to my build, or is this par for the course with MB? At this price point, I had expected better... at lease better communication between MB and the US dealers.
now you have a good reason to wheel shop
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by hyperion667
now you have a good reason to wheel shop

Haha, my thoughts exactly!! The the OEM wheel do look good on the car, but a new set of wheels is like putting your own signature on the car.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM

2014 CLS63-S Model
I wish I had a way to do renderings of the various wheels on my exact car. Would be really nice to be able to see various colors/styles on an Iridium Silver car. Any Suggestions?

Also, I am looking for referrals to a good shop(s) in the Dallas area. Upon delivery, I will most likely be looking to do an ECU tune, lowering module, and perhaps a carbon fiber rear diffuser. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 CLS63 order, comparison with competitors