2014 CLS63 order, comparison with competitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech CLS55
2014 CLS63 order, comparison with competitors

Long post here!

I've been driving a tricked out Designo Graphite CLS55 for nearly seven years. It's overall been a great car, but I'm looking for something new. My significant other has suggested I get a different vehicle, but after considering various options, I'm getting closer to disregarding her advice and placing an order for a 2014 CLS63

The new car will be a daily driver, so it must be reliable. I want superior comfort for two with adequate room for family and friends in the back seat. It must look great on the inside and outside, and the faster the better even though I am not into racing. I am not a 'green' person whatsoever and value fuel efficiency primarily in terms of horsepower per mpg. I listed some of my thoughts on the competition below, in case anyone is considering choosing among this class of cars.

Reading through the Dealer Ordering Guide previously posted here, and attached again, this is what I'm leaning torward:
  • CLS63AMG 4MATIC S-Model $106,500
  • Premium package $3,690
  • Drivers Assistance Package $2,950
  • Parktronic $970
  • ? Designo Platinum White Interior $3,650 + $250 SPC

I might opt for the black/ash or all black interior, which I don't like as much but this would save $3,900 and reduce the build time by 6-8 weeks.

Exterior color is a really tough choice. Normally I'd avoid black but I think M-B paint is the best at resisting microswirls. This car's lines looks great in lighter colors like Diamond White and Iridium Silver. I love the Designo Graphite of my current car, and it would look great with the S-model grey 10-spoke wheels; keeping them would in effect cover the cost of the Designo package since I'll otherwise end up spending $$$ on new black 20" concave wheels and tires. Magna Alanite Grey is appealing too, but I think it would be better to go with Black or Diamond White instead, then have a darker grey matte wrap applied, in case I ever tire of the matte finish.

Major options I'm inclined to pass on:
  • B&O sound - too expensive and takes up too much cargo space, which is already quite limited.
  • Nightvision - expensive and given the location of the screen, I don't see it being very worthwhile even when I do drive at night

Based on what I read here the new S-model includes these items from now defunct AMG Performance Package, which was a $7,300 option:
  • increased engine performance
  • 186mph speed limiter
  • red painted brake calipers
  • AMG performance steering wheel
  • sport suspension

In addition, the S-model now includes:
  • AMG illuminated doors sills, former $850 option
  • Limited slip differential, former $2,030 option
  • 10-spoke light alloy 19" wheels, painted matte titanum grey

Altogether these would seem to justify the approximately $10,000 higher price compared to the standard CLS63 4MATIC model. Other S-model specifics are essentially no or low-cost things like different instrument cluster colors, specific badging, gray contrast stitching on the standard black leather interior, and silver colored seat belts.

There is no mention of the carbon fiber spoiler or engine cover, which I assume do not convey to the S-model, at least as standard equipment.

Considering the S-model eliminates the need for a 3rd party tuning solution, thus keeping the factory warranty intact, I believe it to be worth the extra cost particularly if the LSD is included. However, on the Dealer Ordering Guide the LSD is remains listed as an option at the same $2,030 price, even for the S-model. Does anyone know which is correct ?

The S-model 10-spoke wheels actually look pretty decent. Depending on what exterior color I decide on, I might keep them, get them repainted, or sell them and put the proceeds towards some HREs or similar. I do think the CLS looks best with 20" wheels but I have gotten a little tired of problems with the 20" 3-pc forged wheels and low profile tires I've used with the CLS55.

Finally, here are my thoughts on some the CLS competition, in case others are shopping in this group:

Panamera Turbo - Great car. It's big and bulbous but I actually like the styling in the right colors. It needs a more substantial interior and exterior refresh than it is getting in 2014. Acceleration advantage from a stop now gone because of 4MATIC. Good fuel economy. Way too expensive particularly with the bewildering and myriad options, many of which (like LED lights) should be standard on a car in this price range.

M6 Gran Coupe - The first BMW that really turned my head since the ancient 8 series. Rear wheel drive only now puts it at a disadvantage. Poor fuel efficiency. Too expensive.

RS7 - Well I cannot decide if I like the fastback styling. Otherwise not much to fault, this should be a very impressive vehicle.

Tesla MS-P - I went to see it on a whim. I walked away very impressed. On many levels, this makes all others seem obsolete. But, I have concerns about the range, longevity of the batteries and cost of replacement, and feasibility/availability of hardware upgrades (for instance, LTE and mobile hotspot) on this very computer heavy vehicle. If I could jailbreak it and basic hardware was more plug-and-play, I would be really tempted. Car needs some design input from non-geeks, basic things like a lighted visor mirror should not be absent. $7500 Obama kickback, energy savings, reduced service requirements, and heavily discounted registration fees make the price acceptable. Being able to remotely turn on the air conditioner or leave it running during errands with the car otherwise off, nearly priceless during the Scottsdale summer! Google Earth satellite navigation is pretty nifty too.

CL65 - Simply an awesome car and I've always wanted a V12 BiTurbo. I always thought a pillar-less M-B CL would be in my future, and it's the only 2-door on my list. But the platform is aging - indeed now at the end of its life - and it's really big and heavy. Still, I love the interior. Fuel efficiency is horrible, yet being rear wheel drive even with its immense power output it will be slower than the more efficient V8 BiTurbo CLS63.

CLS63 - Sleek yet muscular. A little disappointed the 2014 facelift didn't change more, particularly inside to accomodate a larger display. Very good fuel efficiency considering the immense power output. Not cheap by any means but in this field, price is not bad, and some of the expensive aftermarket stuff I was planning to do with a 2012-2013 CLS63 isn't needed any longer.

CLA45 - In a different category than the others in many ways and probably too small for me, but looks a real beast at a reasonable price. Sharp looking car, the AMG interior seems decent too unlike its Mercedes sibling.

Maserati Quattroporte - Even the dealer told me he could not in good conscience recommend it as a daily driver. Also somewhat dated and underpowered among the others, although it is definitely beautiful.

Rapide S - Well my neighbor, a recently retired NBA star, just got a gorgeous white one that is simply to die for. Sadly I'm a physician in the era of Obamacare and not a pro athlete, so I need to pretend this does not exist.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLS AMG Dealer Ordering Guide.pdf (810.7 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by CLSzealot; 07-09-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
Can't go wrong with the CLS63!!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
rapid owner must be a guard, probably jason kidd, those cars are teeny inside, and the back seats are useless...

amazing engine tho
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM

Renntech CLS55
Originally Posted by vdubpower
rapid owner must be a guard, probably jason kidd, those cars are teeny inside, and the back seats are useless...

amazing engine tho
Even smaller, *unnamed guard*. I'm actually taller and more muscular than him, alas I move and think much slower and can barely make a basket. He has lots of other incredibly nice cars too including a new Rolls Royce. Very nice ice guy too.

Last edited by CLSzealot; 07-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Did you honestly just post some ridiculously long thread about what luxury car you are going to buy and then had the chutzpah to write:

"Sadly I'm a physician in the era of Obamacare and not a pro athlete, so I need to pretend this does not exist."

Even as a joke you sound like a male Marie Antoinette....god forbid we live in a society where a physician can't afford the same vehicles as a retired NBA star! Perish the thought! Hopefully you don't live here in California with such Obama tax victims as Phil Mickelson and everyone living in Newport Beach. Paraphrasing the great MLK, "I had a dream, where one day, rich doctors could pontificate on which European luxury car to purchase. Where they won't be judged by the color of their designo paint but by the content of their performance package."

Sorry for the rant...actually no I'm not. Good luck with your upcoming purchase and may your malpractice premiums not infringe on your Ski Trips to the Swiss Alps and your butlers' 401k plans. I may be an unabashed as*hole, but I'd rather be that than a giant "cement truck of douche" that feels the need to shameless namedrop Mike Bibby. Too bad you don't make enough money to buy a house near Kerry Kittles or Damon Stoudemire's cousin.

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a convertible Crossfire, go to Brooks Brothers and purchase a sweater to wrap around your neck, and drive around poor neighborhoods throwing pennies everywhere and laughing like an inbred descendent of Thurston Howell III.

Last edited by Pertplus; 07-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rolling18 (08-21-2016)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
LOL. Amazing.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
leave Brooks Brothers out of it Pert....and damn...........rip anyone today?

that was a really bipolar comment man

Last edited by hyperion667; 07-10-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
good luck on your search OP.......sorry if the Democrap's are acting out
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
good luck on your search OP.......sorry if the Democrap's are acting out
Who said I was a Democrat? I voted for Eisenhower and Nixon.

Last edited by Pertplus; 07-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Renntech CLS55
So I guess I'm just an ******* for complaining that I'm working 50% more days at 50% of my former income. That's just a 75% pay cut after all, what's wrong with me ? This after spending eight years following high school graduation working my *** off (up to 120 hours a week) all while going into massive debt, then spending five more years working at a job barely paying minimum wage. But now I actually get do something that helps people for a living, even if a single mistake or bitter patient can trigger a lawsuit that can siphon vast money and time to lawyers, not to mention end my career.

I didn't realize waiting to drop 100k on a single luxury daily driver car every eight years made me a modern day male Marie Antoinette! Guess I should buy my GM hybrid or Crossfire, take my government subsidy, support capitol cronyism and overseas green jobs, and shut the f*** up while being relieved I didn't get audited by the IRS.

As for my neighbor - he's a great guy, was an amazing ballplayer, and glad he was rewarded for his incredible skills. I admire his taste in cars after retirement. I only name dropped him because another name was mentioned and it was incorrect. My property is much smaller than his if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

And by the way I was just visiting in Newport, love Orange County. I have some doctor friends out there, they're all selling their homes because they cannot afford to live there anymore.

Hope you feel better now, I'll keep my purchase decision and car to myself so not as to offend you and others like you.

Originally Posted by Pertplus
Did you honestly just post some ridiculously long thread about what luxury car you are going to buy and then had the chutzpah to write:

"Sadly I'm a physician in the era of Obamacare and not a pro athlete, so I need to pretend this does not exist."

Even as a joke you sound like a male Marie Antoinette....god forbid we live in a society where a physician can't afford the same vehicles as a retired NBA star! Perish the thought! Hopefully you don't live here in California with such Obama tax victims as Phil Mickelson and everyone living in Newport Beach. Paraphrasing the great MLK, "I had a dream, where one day, rich doctors could pontificate on which European luxury car to purchase. Where they won't be judged by the color of their designo paint but by the content of their performance package."

Sorry for the rant...actually no I'm not. Good luck with your upcoming purchase and may your malpractice premiums not infringe on your Ski Trips to the Swiss Alps and your butlers' 401k plans. I may be an unabashed as*hole, but I'd rather be that than a giant "cement truck of douche" that feels the need to shameless namedrop Mike Bibby. Too bad you don't make enough money to buy a house near Kerry Kittles or Damon Stoudemire's cousin.

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a convertible Crossfire, go to Brooks Brothers and purchase a sweater to wrap around your neck, and drive around poor neighborhoods throwing pennies everywhere and laughing like an inbred descendent of Thurston Howell III.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Phew...good thing I only post about wheels.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by eric.kovalsky
So I guess I'm just an ******* for complaining that I'm working 50% more days at 50% of my former income. That's just a 75% pay cut after all, what's wrong with me ? This after spending eight years following high school graduation working my *** off (up to 120 hours a week) all while going into massive debt, then spending five more years working at a job barely paying minimum wage. But now I actually get do something that helps people for a living, even if a single mistake or bitter patient can trigger a lawsuit that can siphon vast money and time to lawyers, not to mention end my career.

I didn't realize waiting to drop 100k on a single luxury daily driver car every eight years made me a modern day male Marie Antoinette! Guess I should buy my GM hybrid or Crossfire, take my government subsidy, support capitol cronyism and overseas green jobs, and shut the f*** up while being relieved I didn't get audited by the IRS.

As for my neighbor - he's a great guy, was an amazing ballplayer, and glad he was rewarded for his incredible skills. I admire his taste in cars after retirement. I only name dropped him because another name was mentioned and it was incorrect. My property is much smaller than his if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

And by the way I was just visiting in Newport, love Orange County. I have some doctor friends out there, they're all selling their homes because they cannot afford to live there anymore.

Hope you feel better now, I'll keep my purchase decision and car to myself so not as to offend you and others like you.
I think it's only fair if Pert tells us what HE does all day.......then we can make assumptions and cast aspersions tooabout his lifestyle and choices he has made leading up to this point in life.....
while I do enjoy reading his writing, I don't think he's a day over 23 or 24

are you any closer to picking out a new ride OP?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's only fair if Pert tells us what HE does all day.......then we can make assumptions and cast aspersions tooabout his lifestyle and choices he has made leading up to this point in life.....
while I do enjoy reading his writing, I don't think he's a day over 23 or 24

are you any closer to picking out a new ride OP?
Close Jeremy, I'm 34 and an attorney. And I don't have a problem with someone's life choices. My problem is *****ing and moaning that some piece of legislation is making it hard for you to be able to afford the same type of toys as "retired NBA stars". That's like me saying people don't know what it's like to truly struggle and have to buy a CLS63 and not be able to afford an R8. I hate when people complain about wealthy (or smart) individuals for utilizing the tax code and tax "loopholes" so they can end up paying less in taxes and I hate when people who are well off that complain about money being so tight they can only eat imported caviar 4 days a week instead of 5.

OP, I have no issues with whatever car you want to get and however you choose to make the decision. And it is your right to complain about whatever you want. But I too have the right to verbally "roll my eyes" when you lament the fact that you can't afford the same type of car one of the best non-UCLA point guards that ever came out of the PAC-10 can afford.

Also, what's great Jeremy is that you called me a "Democrap". If you're going to do it, at least call me a pinko-leftist commie or a bleeding heart obsessive compulsive car modder. Even though I am none of those things...well maybe one of them.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I hear you Matt, and thanx for informing me too......
had no idea you're an attorney, I always wondered....

and the Caspian Sea is FAR away
I wonder what Obama's stance is on Caviar?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Im a Senior Pizza Delivery Driver.......

cocaine thick crust with pepperoni sure does get me good tips.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
hmmmm....we don't have Senior Pizza here
Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear you Matt, and thanx for informing me too......
had no idea you're an attorney, I always wondered....

and the Caspian Sea is FAR away
I wonder what Obama's stance is on Caviar?
Tax the s*hit out of it and require unnecessary amounts of background checks and paperwork to own or eat Caviar. And then have Rachel Maddow and MSNBC talking heads complain that anyone that eats caviar is a ****.

Now if we could get elected officials to make MBZ mandate all their cars in the US have "fold-in mirrors" and a navigation system that doesn't wait until after I already passed the exit to suddenly tell me to "take the previous freeway exit", the world would be a better place.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vic55
Im a Senior Pizza Delivery Driver.......

cocaine thick crust with pepperoni sure does get me good tips.
Nosebleeds sold separately.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
hmmmm....we don't have Senior Pizza here
Its a title not a name of the business LOL

Originally Posted by Pertplus
Nosebleeds sold separately.
For those who want xtra sauce
Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
are you making an extra anchovies joke?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Now this just made my boring day at work interesting LOL
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rafiki_E55
Now this just made my boring day at work interesting LOL
between me, Pert, and Hyp- nothing is ever dull over here.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Opt out of Obamacare. Start Suboxone clinics….problem solved.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rock
Opt out of Obamacare. Start Suboxone clinics….problem solved.

did not work........

for me
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by eric.kovalsky

Obama could buy a Bugatti with the taxes I've paid already this year and I'll admit to my share of *****ing and moaning at times but at the end of the day if you can work a CLS63 into your budget you are living a pretty good life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 CLS63 order, comparison with competitors