C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019
View Poll Results: Renntech or Weistec tune?
Renntech
45.45%
Weistec
54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for a tune: Renntech v. Weistec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
and with any of the companies i havent seen any convincing real results showing that adding pipes and new turbos on the street is better that tune only, maybe just the dyno
Old 08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I find still amazing to see that people thinks that just because a tuner has a good reputation and a dealer is "friendly" that you can go ahead and assume that the dealer will cover all the cost of repairs in the vent of a catastrophic failure or related mechanical problems.

Do you guys know how a car dealer operates? They just sell you the car and perform warranty repairs under warranty given that the car is all stock.
Why would a car dealer have to put up for a repair bill for something that the customer choose to modify? in this case a tune.

As far as I know the dealers are privately owned/operated. They must offer, sales, service, parts, paint shop etc but it is not their responsibility to fix your car if you alter it to the point of mechanical failure.

In my opinion, this is a fair game, if you want to play you have to pay. I should have to get upset if the dealer finds out that I blew my cylinder head gasket because I was running too much boost or too lean due to a tune. my .2c
Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Karl901
Emericr, my CLS 63 has to much power for the drag strip anyway. Last time I ran 13.87 sec 1/4 at 127 mph. I will catch up to you soon.
lol.. you can run faster than that at half throtle. Looking at your numbers it looks like you spun and wasted lots of time on your 60' and 330' then once the car started rolling it picked up speed very quick. Just put some 295 or 305 street soft compound tires and you should be able to run consistent low 11'-mid 11's
Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by will175
I kept blowing my plugs on Weistec tune..And continues to throw 02 sensor codes. I need to get them the exact code so they can tell me whats going on. I think they just forgot to turn off the secondary 02 sensors. And I finally pulled the trigger on the Weistec plugs hoping it would stop burning through plugs.

Myself and a few other tuners believe the tune is a little too aggressive, and that is the reason it keeps burning through plugs. Im waiting for the 2015 CLS63 and will go with AMS. Have had a ton of parts from them including 2 fully built engine (3.8 and 4.0). Eric over there has amazing customer service. Weistec could take some notes..

Oh and my neighbor has a Renntech tuned CLS63 with the same mods on stock plugs and he has never had problems...Just my opinion.
Based on your comments it suggest that perhaps Weistec is using a leaner AFR on their tune and consequently running leaner to squeeze more power... either that or like you said, the o2 sensors feedback is out of whack causing the sparkplugs to run to hot. How often did you replaced the sparkplugs?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Based on your comments it suggest that perhaps Weistec is using a leaner AFR on their tune and consequently running leaner to squeeze more power... either that or like you said, the o2 sensors feedback is out of whack causing the sparkplugs to run to hot. How often did you replaced the sparkplugs?
Im pretty sure there off the shelf tunes, but I haven't had a chance to throw it back on the dyno and verify AFRs. Timing could be a little aggressive as well though. I have replaced the plug 3 times, last one was with Weistec's version of the plugs which I believe is 1 step colder. Its only been a month that those are in there. But I have heard nothing but good things when cars come out of there with a custom tune.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
i was thinking ams too but their tune says only 630 hp on their site??

thats only 50 hp more than stock on the 2015 cls which is the one im considering.

$3000 for 50 hp?

renntech is 670 hp, so ill probably go with that one.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
dont they say 700 on that 10 sec quartermile car they recently posted
Old 08-23-2014, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Im pretty sure there off the shelf tunes, but I haven't had a chance to throw it back on the dyno and verify AFRs. Timing could be a little aggressive as well though. I have replaced the plug 3 times, last one was with Weistec's version of the plugs which I believe is 1 step colder. Its only been a month that those are in there. But I have heard nothing but good things when cars come out of there with a custom tune.
So you replaced 3 sets already? , are you getting misfiring codes or what?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by mainly

thats only 50 hp more than stock on the 2015 cls which is the one im considering.

$3000 for 50 hp?

Thats peak gain bud..Look at the hp/tq graph :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by C63newdude
So you replaced 3 sets already? , are you getting misfiring codes or what?
Yes sir I have...The 2nd time it failed, me and the fam were on Vaca in Carlsbad. Lost 2 cylinders and tried my hardest to find someplace open to swap out the plugs on a sunday, on a long weekend. Lets just say it was a long and stressful drive home. Thats when I went with Weistec plugs. So far it has been good.

And I have done the plug swaps each time. So it saved me some money, but not time.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:31 AM

Thats peak gain bud..Look at the hp/tq graph :-)
peak gain, yeah.

always is isnt it?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM

I was implying it is about more then just the peak #...
Old 08-25-2014, 04:08 AM

I was implying it is about more then just the peak #...
so youre saying the 630 hp ams tune would beat the 670 hp renntech tune?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Renntech is a good company, also my neighbor runs the complete package from them. They have 2 different tunes available to purchase..I believe AMS Peak Tq is higher then both those tunes. And Renntechs lower tune is the same Peak HP as AMS...

There are a lot of variables when someone says X car is faster then Z car....All I can say is I trust AMS with there work and knowing they wouldn't put a customer in a bad situation just for numbers...This is coming from someone that has done business with AMS, more then just sending my ECU out to be bench flashed.

I am no way trying to sway anyone to AMS over any other company...I am just speaking from personal experience in general. I think if a tuning device like Cobb, Ecutek, etc could be created then it would benefit us all very much. That would also eliminate a lot of tuning companies that just sell boxed tunes, since we would be able to log ourselves and actually see what is going on..

Aloha,
Will
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 E63 AMG

$3000 for 50 hp?

That was actually a typo on our part, we've since fixed it
Old 08-25-2014, 06:09 PM

Renntech is a good company, also my neighbor runs the complete package from them. They have 2 different tunes available to purchase..I believe AMS Peak Tq is higher then both those tunes. And Renntechs lower tune is the same Peak HP as AMS...

There are a lot of variables when someone says X car is faster then Z car....All I can say is I trust AMS with there work and knowing they wouldn't put a customer in a bad situation just for numbers...This is coming from someone that has done business with AMS, more then just sending my ECU out to be bench flashed.

I am no way trying to sway anyone to AMS over any other company...I am just speaking from personal experience in general. I think if a tuning device like Cobb, Ecutek, etc could be created then it would benefit us all very much. That would also eliminate a lot of tuning companies that just sell boxed tunes, since we would be able to log ourselves and actually see what is going on..

Aloha,
Will
like i said, if i couldnt get more than 630 hp from a tune where i already had 580 to begin with, i dont think id bother. not for $3000

but a 90 hp gain seems alot more desireable, so id be going with renntech. and the fact that the guy used to be an AMG engineer doesnt hurt things either.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM

like i said, if i couldnt get more than 630 hp from a tune where i already had 580 to begin with, i dont think id bother. not for $3000

but a 90 hp gain seems alot more desireable, so id be going with renntech. and the fact that the guy used to be an AMG engineer doesnt hurt things either.
10-4 bud...And between Renntech and Weistec I would have made the same choice as you...Good luck and have fun.