C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

limp mode middle of a aggressive drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63 PP w218
limp mode middle of a aggressive drive

Hi folks I have a w218 2012 cls 63 amy with pp, today while coming out of a turn I got a little aggressive and the car just bogs down and goes into limp mode. the check engine light comes on. I shut down and restarted the car and the limp mode seems to have gone. Haven't driven it after. should I have it towed to the dealership ? any ideas why that would happen ?

appreciate any thoughts..
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
The computer on the MBs these days are there to protect the engine. There have been a few reports of what occurred to you. Not fun at all and scary I am sure.
Are you tuned? If not, you can always go to the dealer to see if the cpu recorded any errors.
If you are tuned, sometimes it can happen.
Sorry for not having a better answer.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

CLS 63 PP w218
Originally Posted by emericr
The computer on the MBs these days are there to protect the engine. There have been a few reports of what occurred to you. Not fun at all and scary I am sure.
Are you tuned? If not, you can always go to the dealer to see if the cpu recorded any errors.
If you are tuned, sometimes it can happen.
Sorry for not having a better answer.
This is the first time it has happened and you are right its a little scary. No I've got no tunes..which makes it all the more worrisome.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 AM

CLS 63 PP w218
Not that many people are intrested but what the heck..
sent the car to the dealership and was told there was a misfire fault code, they are chaining the spark plugs because nothing else seems to be wrong at this point. I am at about 40k Kms. Sparkplugs are changed at a major service of 45k. It baffles me why the spark plugs would fail this early on ! would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG
I had it happened to me a few times. Everytime it happens when I am driving relative mild, the traffic opens up and I pounced on it. I think it is something to do with the sudden acceleration while I am in C mode. I am tuned by Eruocharged so I naturally thought it is their tune's problem. It is nice (I guess?) to know that it is an AMG thing.

My makeshift remedy is to always shift to Sport+ before I pounce on it. I never had a problem with it since.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
misfires will cause this problem and over time will will become more frequent
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Glad to know the dealer found a code and did something about it by changing the plugs.
If your car is a 2012, there has been a few noted issues with them related to that matter and it appears that changing the sparkplugs to one or 2 step colder is a potential fix.
Most tuners will advise to change the plugs if tuned aggressive.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:41 AM

CLS 63 PP w218
Originally Posted by emericr
Glad to know the dealer found a code and did something about it by changing the plugs.
If your car is a 2012, there has been a few noted issues with them related to that matter and it appears that changing the sparkplugs to one or 2 step colder is a potential fix.
Most tuners will advise to change the plugs if tuned aggressive.
Thanks Emericr, Got my car back and everything seems to have gone back to normal after the spark plug change..as I said before I was about 5k Kms, from a major service so I guess the spark plugs were pretty worn out.. and my car is completely stock..no tunes no exhaust nothing..With the dealers in the middle east being as they are...God forbid if something serious was to happen to the car..
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Cls 63 AMG- 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
I have 2012 CLS AND limp mode issues

Hello did the spark plugs fix it? I changed plugs BUT had oil in my engine harness from bad cam sensors got to my ECU. YOU NEED to check yours, it’s a known problem on our cars the sensors leak into the harness
Causing an ugly situation Amy way been cleaning replacing parts still have the limp issue when I am hard on it

call me if you need info on your cam sensors easy swap under 200 buck to improved part takes 30 minutes to change them out!

Thanks

Rosco
513 319 6779

Rosco.backus@gmail.com

Originally Posted by AMG.S
Hi folks I have a w218 2012 cls 63 amy with pp, today while coming out of a turn I got a little aggressive and the car just bogs down and goes into limp mode. the check engine light comes on. I shut down and restarted the car and the limp mode seems to have gone. Haven't driven it after. should I have it towed to the dealership ? any ideas why that would happen ?

appreciate any thoughts..
Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
The same thing happened to my E55, figured out it was a MAF. Replaced (BOSCH) and all was fine again.