Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
what the hell??

How is everyone liking the CLS damn!!!!

this is one slow **** spot..........not long ago we had lots of fun here......

where are the mods guys?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
I agree, very little activity here

regarding your question, my CLS is probably the best all around car I've ever owned, it's crazy fast and fun to drive and still serves as daily driver, seating 4 adults, I love the car.

it's a little annoying that the COMAND is rather useless and I either use my iPhone or Garmin when needing navigation, but small price to pay for the wicked CLS63
Old 05-25-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Get another set of blue rims and im sure your buddies will flock back to amuse us. LOL

Originally Posted by hyperion667
How is everyone liking the CLS damn!!!!

this is one slow **** spot..........not long ago we had lots of fun here......

where are the mods guys?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Get another set of blue rims and im sure your buddies will flock back to amuse us. LOL

LOL well played sir.

But back to the post; this location has died out a lot. The M5 boards are far more busy and intriguing.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
yes, hehe, maybe red this time; should have gone red before the blue's........
I admit: it isn't a very exciting wheel on the cls (p41) in clear brush tint, they need a special color

you mean your buddies? LOL

I agree Steinhart: love driving mine, still save it for the weekends to make it that much better....it fast and fun, looks amazing......I still gawk at my own car when it's uncovered during the weekend; doing double takes ALL the time; especially from the rear end......so aggressive and the wide tires! hots damn

never visited the BMW board not being an owner, or even a consider-er for that matter lol
Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Vic55
But back to the post; this location has died out a lot. The M5 boards are far more busy and intriguing.
^ FU, just wanted to get that out of the way.

I really wish I could say I loved mine but I don't. Oh, where to start? Actually before I rip the CLS a new one, let me mention a few positive attributes. First, the car is visually stunning at rest or rolling. I get endless compliments on the incredible appearance of this AMG. Elegant, stylish, striking and aggressive are just a few of the adjectives people use when talking about this car. The other item that Mercedes got right was the exhaust note……..this thing purrs like a lion.

On to the disappointing attributes. First, the CLS replaced a much loved 2005 E55 that was massaged with a number of Kleemann software and hardware items. That car was a beast when it needed to be and a great city and highway cruiser the rest of the time. It's only faults were its vague steering and the slush box (although it fit the car's personality well). I expected the CLS to be a huge upgrade over the old and inferior E55 but it's not working out that way. First, the suspension in the CLS is downright abusive. Road imperfections are not absorbed by the suspension but transmitted through the entire car. I actually think that some of my dental fillings are loosening (pm'ed Pertplus to see if I have a case. No response yet). I'm sure the KW coilovers on the car are partially responsible but I only did a 20mm drop. I just outfitted it with some new tires and changed the alignment specs so we will see if that makes a difference. The next letdown is the command center…..it's not intuitive and seems antiquated when compared to the Audi MMI. I also use my Apple phone when directions are needed. For a car that cost north of 100K, I cannot believe it doesn't come standard with parking sensors. If any car ever needed them it's the CLS. I still have a difficult time judging how far I can pull into my garage without hitting the wall.

What's next? Well how about lackluster power delivery. For a car that has 550hp it's a little too relaxed and the gearbox is often confused. I recently drove a 2014 E550 coupe and it felt spunkier and had a much better throttle response. I've put up with this annoyance long enough and the car goes in Tuesday for downpipes and a tune…..hope it helps. Let's end this rant with the interior. At first glance it looks pretty impressive but on closer inspection the material selection looks less expensive than my old E55. Was Mercedes trying to save a buck?

Not going to bail on this car yet. I've always hung on to girls that only had looks going for them, so why should a car be any different? Hopefully injecting a little adrenaline into this AMG will win me over……we will see.

Last edited by Rock; 05-25-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rock

I really wish I could say I loved mine but I don't. Oh, where to start? Actually before I rip the CLS a new one, let me mention a few positive attributes. First, the car is visually stunning at rest or rolling. I get endless compliments on the incredible appearance of this AMG. Elegant, stylish, striking and aggressive are just a few of the adjectives people use when talking about this car. The other item that Mercedes got right was the exhaust note……..this thing purrs like a lion.

On to the disappointing attributes. First, the CLS replaced a much loved 2005 E55 that was massaged with a number of Kleemann software and hardware items. That car was a beast when it needed to be and a great city and highway cruiser the rest of the time. It's only faults were its vague steering and the slush box (although it fit the car's personality well). I expected the CLS to be a huge upgrade over the old and inferior E55 but it's not working out that way. First, the suspension in the CLS is downright abusive. Road imperfections are not absorbed by the suspension but transmitted through the entire car. I actually think that some of my dental fillings are loosening (pm'ed Pertplus to see if I have a case. No response yet). I'm sure the KW coilovers on the car are partially responsible but I only did a 20mm drop. I just outfitted it with some new tires and changed the alignment specs so we will see if that makes a difference. The next letdown is the command center…..it's not intuitive and seems antiquated when compared to the Audi MMI. I also use my Apple phone when directions are needed. For a car that cost north of 100K, I cannot believe it doesn't come standard with parking sensors. If any car ever needed them it's the CLS. I still have a difficult time judging how far I can pull into my garage without hitting the wall.

What's next? Well how about lackluster power delivery. For a car that has 550hp it's a little too relaxed and the gearbox is often confused. I recently drove a 2014 E550 coupe and it felt spunkier and had a much better throttle response. I've put up with this annoyance long enough and the car goes in Tuesday for downpipes and a tune…..hope it helps. Let's end this rant with the interior. At first glance it looks pretty impressive but on closer inspection the material selection looks less expensive than my old E55. Was Mercedes trying to save a buck?

Not going to bail on this car yet. I've always hung on to girls that only had looks going for them, why should a car be any different? Hopefully injecting a little adrenaline into this AMG will win me over……we will see.
well, I kind of agree with all your points, to some extent, but the car as a whole is definitely a winner in my book

I sometimes get the urge to tune it but just can't live with the possible warranty issues that come with it, and the fact that I can't use the power/speed anywhere that it has now, plenty fast and responsive, especially in S+ mode

I'm much more comfortable in the SL than the CLS but their two different types of cars, as Vic pointed out "trade comfort for performance", however even the leather seems to be softer with a stronger leather smell in the SL

I hope the '15 refresh fixes the COMAND issues (basically revamp the entire system) and uses GARMIN for their navigation, which has been reported in the news.

Any idea when the '15 will be out? I haven't seen anything except spy photos with most of the new stuff covered up
Old 05-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Still love mine with the tune. Bad to say but the car without a tune is way to laid back for an AMG (I tried one again a month ago or so). The throttle response in particular is quite different from stock. The other thing I have noticed over time is the tranny makes the car shift way too early in the rpm range unless you keep resetting the tranny by disconnecting the battery. By now, I only drive the car in manual mode keeping the rev north of 3,000 and shifting between 4 and 5,000, which keeps the monster throttle response on edge. At low rev, my untuned Audi TT with a DCT has a faster throttle response than my tuned CLS.

Regarding this forum, since vendors of all kinds have taken over, I come visit no more than a couple of times a month these days. Opening the gates to vendors like this defeats the purpose of this forum. Is there a way to keep them in a separate section of this site so we know where to go to see what they have to offer and where to go when we don't?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Still love mine with the tune. Bad to say but the car without a tune is way to laid back for an AMG (I tried one again a month ago or so). The throttle response in particular is quite different from stock. The other thing I have noticed over time is the tranny makes the car shift way too early in the rpm range unless you keep resetting the tranny by disconnecting the battery. By now, I only drive the car in manual mode keeping the rev north of 3,000 and shifting between 4 and 5,000, which keeps the monster throttle response on edge. At low rev, my untuned Audi TT with a DCT has a faster throttle response than my tuned CLS.

Regarding this forum, since vendors of all kinds have taken over, I come visit no more than a couple of times a month these days. Opening the gates to vendors like this defeats the purpose of this forum. Is there a way to keep them in a separate section of this site so we know where to go to see what they have to offer and where to go when we don't?

Agreed, and great suggestion, separate section for vendors would be great
Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vic is that an updated sig. I thought u were supposed to have a rs7 somewhere is the mix.

Isn't that c63 getting long in the tooth. Time to sell?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63

Not going to bail on this car yet. I've always hung on to girls that only had looks going for them, so why should a car be any different? Hopefully injecting a little adrenaline into this AMG will win me over……we will see.
well put Sir, I don't drive mine enough to be bored with it.....two days a week keeps it exciting for me
I had to LOL at confused gearbox......I kept imagining "okay what gear do you want? what should I do? you want me to do what??"

I should try Manual mode more often, guess I'm just too lazy to use my fingers......maybe if I had some CF paddles it would be more exciting for me lol...
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
No worry, this forum will pick right back up when it comes time for the complete redesign. Look at the W212 side. It was just slightly better than this here until half a year ago with the arrival of the '14 4matic.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS

Fawk yourself- You do that well

I cant even remember my CLS63TT- way back in 2011 but I agree with you on most points in regards to a stock unit. A tune will change the throttle no doubt. The Comand definitely needs love as well and I hear in 2015 it gets it but its years too late. The steering on the 2012 was numb but Benz fixed their racks and their electronics in 2013 and my SL is far more on point than my 2012 CLS or 2012 E63. I really think you need the rings in your life = RS7

Vic is that an updated sig. I thought u were supposed to have a rs7 somewhere is the mix.

Isn't that c63 getting long in the tooth. Time to sell?
The C63 is going going .....

Yeah I got one, its been awesome for month 1 LOL.... I keep forgetting to change the sig as its too much to do and I change cars too much.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hre's on order for the audi?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Administrator

hre's on order for the audi?

Maybe or maybe ....
Old 05-27-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC

I completely agree. I think it is a perfect car to have for a year or 15k miles, then move on. Killer looks awesome exhaust, it falls short everywhere else. My friend and I swap cars time to time. He has an F10 M5. Being unbiased and a hardcore Mercedes fan, I am amazed how much better of a car the BMW is. Maybe an accurate comparison is the M6 Gran Coupe. The profit margin must be high for Mercedes on this model. The facelift will help, but the fact remains it rides on a dated platform. It seems looking at the posts in the past the progression of cars for members has gone: CLS to M5 and eventually Porsche 991.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by abhatti55
I completely agree. I think it is a perfect car to have for a year or 15k miles, then move on. Killer looks awesome exhaust, it falls short everywhere else. My friend and I swap cars time to time. He has an F10 M5. Being unbiased and a hardcore Mercedes fan, I am amazed how much better of a car the BMW is. Maybe an accurate comparison is the M6 Gran Coupe. The profit margin must be high for Mercedes on this model. The facelift will help, but the fact remains it rides on a dated platform. It seems looking at the posts in the past the progression of cars for members has gone: CLS to M5 and eventually Porsche 991.
I traded my '12 CLS63 for an F10 M5 and never looked back. It is a better car as a whole. I'm looking at the '15 CLS63 with some interest though. I'm not sure it will be enough of a change however. One thing that bothered me is it seems the new AWD models have several inches less headroom. I drove 2 different '14 CLS63-S at the AMG Driving Academy a month ago and neither one I could fit in while wearing a helmet. I used to wear a helmet in my '12 CLS63 all the time with no problem. If the '15 has less headroom like the '14 then I'll have to rule it out.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
what do you guys think about these revisited Targa's?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hyperion667
what do you guys think about these revisited Targa's?

I love the look and the wide open functionality but I wonder how chassis rigidity will be... The Targa is a great P car model.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

its lovely.....im sure the chassis is done well.....appropriate for its function.... might end up with a SC targa...their still ''cheap''
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Despite automaker's claims, chasis rigidity will always be one step behind similarly reinforced hardtop.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
glass roof aside: it's a beautiful ride, not crazy about how Porsche is badging their cars lately, but the badges usually come off soon enough anyway

Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by otakki
Despite automaker's claims, chasis rigidity will always be one step behind similarly reinforced hardtop.

Exactly and thank you.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3

no sh#t. why do we have to sift through the damn venders posts spamming there crap products everywhere...

i say get them out of here all together. or at least put their posts into their own section(where we wont have to look at them)

hello???

is anybody listening to this????
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4

The suspension on my CLS63 was god awful Rock. You are not alone. Downtown San Diego is no picnic and that just made it worse. I tore multiple ACLs sometimes just driving on certain streets.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what the hell??