C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

First Impressions: AMS Tuned ECU - 2014 CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS63, 2011 Jeep JK, 1965 Chevy Biscayne LS3
First Impressions: AMS Tuned ECU - 2014 CLS63

I just received my ECU back from AMS today and all I can say is WOW! The power is amazing and smooth. My car is brand new so I really didn't get much seat time in it stock, but I can tell a tremendous difference. The torque is amazing and I find myself snapping the throttle just to feel the immediate lunge and roar of the exhaust. I probably only drove it 20 miles today, but I am thoroughly impressed.

The ECU was a piece of cake to remove and they turned it around in one day. I shipped it to them on Wednesday and received it back today.

When I was heading home, there was a slightly modded GTR in front of me at the light. When it turned green we both hit and we were dead even until we both let off. He pulled up next to me and said "Wow, that thing is fast...is it stock?" I just told him a tune. He had exhaust (assuming mid and down pipes) and tune. I had a GTR earlier this year with similar mods and I can honestly say this CLS is just as fast now. I LOVE IT!

As I get more time in it, I'll post more feedback, but as of right now, I want to drive the thing all weekend because it's just that much fun.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
welcome and congrats on the CLS and tune, throw some pictures up when you get the chance
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 AM

AMS
Thanks for the review Chris. What luck to catch a race right after getting the ecu back, that almost never happens when you want it to!

Let me know if you need anything in the future.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
wow... congrats!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
subscribed
Old 10-19-2014, 11:35 PM

Well, it's been over a week now and the car is still amazing. I've put 500+ miles on it since. No issues whatsoever. I just drove out to Nevada today and averaged 20mpg, even with my 80-90 mph cruising speeds and 100+ mph sprints. Did about the same distance and similar pace in my ZR1 a few months ago and averaged much lower MPG than that.

I am very happy still and and look forward to every minute I can be in the car driving it.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by MIAJK
Well, it's been over a week now and the car is still amazing. I've put 500+ miles on it since. No issues whatsoever. I just drove out to Nevada today and averaged 20mpg, even with my 80-90 mph cruising speeds and 100+ mph sprints. Did about the same distance and similar pace in my ZR1 a few months ago and averaged much lower MPG than that.

I am very happy still and and look forward to every minute I can be in the car driving it.
so yours is the one where you send away your ecu, so not the custom dyno tune then? whats the difference?

im getting another cls63 (probably a 2012) in the next couple months and considering the ams tune, but not sure of their published power numbers refer to the custom dyno tune or sending away the ecu???
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM

AMS
Originally Posted by mainly
so yours is the one where you send away your ecu, so not the custom dyno tune then? whats the difference?

im getting another cls63 (probably a 2012) in the next couple months and considering the ams tune, but not sure of their published power numbers refer to the custom dyno tune or sending away the ecu???

There is little difference between a custom dyno tune and our mail in tune. We have spent a lot of time developing these tunes to make the most power possible with a good margin of safety.

The biggest benefit is getting a before and after number.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by Dan@AMS
There is little difference between a custom dyno tune and our mail in tune. We have spent a lot of time developing these tunes to make the most power possible with a good margin of safety.

The biggest benefit is getting a before and after number.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.
Hey Dan, you guys seem to be doing great things with this platform. When will we get more info on your downpipes, air box and exhaust upgrades? I want to go full bolt on and am waiting for AMS's products to be released before pulling the trigger on another Co.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM

AMS
We are getting close. We are hoping by Christmas the full system will be out. Downpipes should be a little sooner.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by Dan@AMS
We are getting close. We are hoping by Christmas the full system will be out. Downpipes should be a little sooner.
I know what I'm getting myself for x-mas
Old 10-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider

not to change the subject, but I read another thread about how very unhappy you were with your CLS63, now you are getting another one???
Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM

I just received my ECU back from AMS today and all I can say is WOW! The power is amazing and smooth. My car is brand new so I really didn't get much seat time in it stock, but I can tell a tremendous difference. The torque is amazing and I find myself snapping the throttle just to feel the immediate lunge and roar of the exhaust. I probably only drove it 20 miles today, but I am thoroughly impressed.

The ECU was a piece of cake to remove and they turned it around in one day. I shipped it to them on Wednesday and received it back today.

When I was heading home, there was a slightly modded GTR in front of me at the light. When it turned green we both hit and we were dead even until we both let off. He pulled up next to me and said "Wow, that thing is fast...is it stock?" I just told him a tune. He had exhaust (assuming mid and down pipes) and tune. I had a GTR earlier this year with similar mods and I can honestly say this CLS is just as fast now. I LOVE IT!

As I get more time in it, I'll post more feedback, but as of right now, I want to drive the thing all weekend because it's just that much fun.
congrats! on par with your GTR, that's impressive, I wonder how much difference the AWD makes compared to the RWD I have....
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Steinhart
not to change the subject, but I read another thread about how very unhappy you were with your CLS63, now you are getting another one???
lol, yeah, i know i know. there were always things i liked about the car. the things i didnt like wont be as big an issue if im only paying $75K instead of $130K
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 PM

lol, yeah, i know i know. there were always things i liked about the car. the things i didn't like wont be as big an issue if im only paying $75K instead of $130K
lol, so you're getting a '12? you wanted more pop, wouldn't AWD be better? well, if you get a tune '12 should be fine, mine is stock and a total beast, no autobahn here so no place to exercise it properly anyway, my only complaint is the seat is uncomfortable and the ride is a little too stiff for me but I love the car!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Steinhart
lol, so you're getting a '12? you wanted more pop, wouldn't AWD be better? well, if you get a tune '12 should be fine, mine is stock and a total beast, no autobahn here so no place to exercise it properly anyway, my only complaint is the seat is uncomfortable and the ride is a little too stiff for me but I love the car!
dont you have a 1/4 mile drag strip?

yeah AWD would be better, but i just bought two other cars so i need to slow down, a little.

the tune is actually the main motivating factor for the cls. if i wasnt gonna be tuning it i wouldnt bother getting another one, as the stock power wasnt quick enough. and i hear the AWD actually makes 15-20 whp more than the 4matic. should still get some pretty good 1/4 mile times, with 700 hp and 700 rwtq.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
lol, yeah, i know i know. there were always things i liked about the car. the things i didnt like wont be as big an issue if im only paying $75K instead of $130K
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM

Well, I have about 3600+ miles on the car now and absolutely zero issues. I've driven it to Vegas, San Diego, and a few other places and am still loving the power and have not experienced any CELs or other issues. My gas mileage is actually pretty decent as well. I'm definitely ready for more power. If I went with the turbo upgrades, would I have to beef up the tranny? I am really wanting to get this thing on a dyno to see what it's putting out.

anyways, just wanted to post a follow up for anyone else considering using AMS for the tuning. I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 AM

Well, I have about 3600+ miles on the car now and absolutely zero issues. I've driven it to Vegas, San Diego, and a few other places and am still loving the power and have not experienced any CELs or other issues. My gas mileage is actually pretty decent as well. I'm definitely ready for more power. If I went with the turbo upgrades, would I have to beef up the tranny? I am really wanting to get this thing on a dyno to see what it's putting out.

anyways, just wanted to post a follow up for anyone else considering using AMS for the tuning. I couldn't be happier.
you say youre ready for more power. for what? just driving around town? lol. i mean did you run it at the drag strip with /without the tune? times?

so it isnt impressive enough now after the ams tune? was there not a dramatic difference from stock to the ams tune?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM

you say youre ready for more power. for what? just driving around town? lol. i mean did you run it at the drag strip with /without the tune? times?

so it isnt impressive enough now after the ams tune? was there not a dramatic difference from stock to the ams tune?
If you're going to ask why more power, then why don't you ask why I got it tuned in the first place? The car was very fast stock. What is wrong with wanting more? What can I say, I like going fast. Whether it's the feeling of getting on the freeway or doing standing mile events, I would like more. Have I dragged it? No. Do I plan to? Who knows. The car is a lot of fun right now with the added power, but I personally will enjoy it with having more. But that's me and my reasons don't need to work or make sense to anyone else. It's not a glorious answer or perhaps the answer you were looking for, but it's my honest answer. Why does anyone add more power to their cars? Whether it's 300HP or 1500HP? Everyone has their own reasons for wanting different things, regardless of how ridiculous those reasons may seem to others.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
how about the fotoshoot damn!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM

If you're going to ask why more power, then why don't you ask why I got it tuned in the first place? The car was very fast stock. What is wrong with wanting more? What can I say, I like going fast. Whether it's the feeling of getting on the freeway or doing standing mile events, I would like more. Have I dragged it? No. Do I plan to? Who knows. The car is a lot of fun right now with the added power, but I personally will enjoy it with having more. But that's me and my reasons don't need to work or make sense to anyone else. It's not a glorious answer or perhaps the answer you were looking for, but it's my honest answer. Why does anyone add more power to their cars? Whether it's 300HP or 1500HP? Everyone has their own reasons for wanting different things, regardless of how ridiculous those reasons may seem to others.

yeah i could have asked that.

but i guess my point is first of all, a tune is relatively cheap, so for the power gains you get its almost a no brainer.

but if youre going to heavy modding like upgraded turbos or downpipes, just for highway cruising purposes? but you arent even interested in seeing the results of what the the added power brings you.

and if youre going to spend the money on upgraded turbos and more, this is from what i hear, like $8000-$12000??? kind of a lot just for street use, you can barely use the added power of a tune on the street.

for example i plan on getting another cls. and immediately i will tune it from ams, but only because i plan on dragging racing it at the drag strip it. i like to see the results on paper. i enjoy racing at legitimate races, then i know i dont need to race them on the street, cause i know whos faster.

of course its up to you, but if you go to upgraded turbos, and downpipes, and tune, wouldnt you want to see what it runs in the 1/4, even just once???

lol
Old 01-08-2015, 10:27 PM

First, let me start off with apologizing for my response. I read your reply as being sarcastic and not genuine and I'm sorry for that.

You're right, that is a lot of HP for the street. Too much? I don't know, I guess it depends on where you live and how you plan to drive. Just because the car has 900HP, doesn't mean you need to tap into it every second. I don't plan on doing 150 to the grocery store, but there are some places where you can do some spirited driving with nobody around. Whether I do the turbos and downpipes or not, I do plan on taking it to the drag strip. I also plan on taking it to 1/2 mile and mile events. But I am not doing those upgrades strictly for those reasons or any other specific reason. I am still evaluating the options for the turbos and downpipes. I have a call with AMS tomorrow to discuss it further. It is definitely a lot of money and IF i do it, I want to be sure about certain things and know all of my facts.

I have had a lot of different cars, many at the 700HP range, but never anything in the 800-900 range. If there is a car that I would do it to, it's this one. I absolutely love this car and I truly believe that I will keep it for a long time. Is 800-900HP a bit ridiculous? Absolutely. But I think that is kind of the appeal, to see how it drives, how fast it is, what it will run, to be....ridiculous I guess. If I were going to strictly just track a car, I would buy a car for that purpose only. I wouldn't buy a brand new $100k, 4400lb car to do it. But that is just me as I'm sure a lot of people, if not most, wouldn't add turbos and downpipes to their $100k 4 door Mercedes. Everybody does things for their own reasons and I've tried to explain mine as best I can. I can't honestly give any other reason than it would be damn cool and fun to drive a 850+ HP 4 door Mercedes.

If I end up doing the turbos and downpipes, I'll post back here.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
how about the fotoshoot damn!
This is the only one I have right now that looks decent. Getting a roof wrap and emblems all blacked out on Monday. I'll post more pics after I get it back. I love this car...especially driving to Vegas in it. ha ha

The wheels are MMR Ground Force GF6 20x9/20x10.5 and wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They each wheel+tire weigh in at .5lbs lighter than stock so I noticed zero performance loss. These tires hook up well.

Last edited by MIAJK; 01-09-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
You can NEVER have too much power..lol..Each persons fast and someone else's fast might be completely different. Nice car though OP..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Impressions: AMS Tuned ECU - 2014 CLS63