C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

'Auxiliary battery malfunction' on startup - 2014 CLS63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
'Auxiliary battery malfunction' on startup - 2014 CLS63S

Had the main (engine compartment) battery die recently, it was replaced by roadside. It failed spectacularly overnight, car wouldn't start and was giving me less than 10v when I hooked up a charger.

Now I'm getting a 'auxiliary battery malfunction' error sometimes, not always, when I start the car, a 2014 CLS63 S. I've checked the trunk battery (for ECO, I think) and it reads 12.9-13v with the car off and disconnected, so isn't dead and is getting charged.

So does the CLS63 have a third 'auxiliary' battery - maybe the small transmission backup battery like some of the E-Class models have ? I know it is hidden below the dash on those, but thought it was only used in cars with the steering column shifter stalk. The CLS63 obviously has a console shifter, although it is really just an toggle lever so functionally is probably similar to the stalk shifter.

I'm sure the dealer would fix it under warranty if I bought it in, but if it just needs a cheap 12v lead acid battery with standard connectors, I'd just buy one and install myself. But I don't want to take a bunch of panels off, if it isn't in there...
Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 S500 AMG Sport, ABC,Distronic,Rear Side Shades // '10 E350 P2, Pano, BLK/ALM,4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
Had the main (engine compartment) battery die recently, it was replaced by roadside. It failed spectacularly overnight, car wouldn't start and was giving me less than 10v when I hooked up a charger.

Now I'm getting a 'auxiliary battery malfunction' error sometimes, not always, when I start the car, a 2014 CLS63 S. I've checked the trunk battery (for ECO, I think) and it reads 12.9-13v with the car off and disconnected, so isn't dead and is getting charged.

So does the CLS63 have a third 'auxiliary' battery - maybe the small transmission backup battery like some of the E-Class models have ? I know it is hidden below the dash on those, but thought it was only used in cars with the steering column shifter stalk. The CLS63 obviously has a console shifter, although it is really just an toggle lever so functionally is probably similar to the stalk shifter.

I'm sure the dealer would fix it under warranty if I bought it in, but if it just needs a cheap 12v lead acid battery with standard connectors, I'd just buy one and install myself. But I don't want to take a bunch of panels off, if it isn't in there...
Eco Start/stop battery is called the Auxiliary Battery.. They tend to fail due to high internal resistance...
Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
I got an auxiliary battery malfunction too. So, do I replace the battery in the trunk or do we have a battery in the dash as well?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
As far as I am aware we only have two batteries, main one under the AC air inlet under the hood and second accessory one in the truck.
I just changed both of mine recently and those were the only two batteries MB gave me options for