C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Need help with a rattle - 2015 CLS63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Need help with a rattle - 2015 CLS63s

Hoping someone can point me in a direction...

Noticing a rattle either coming from the center of the dash where it meets the windshield, or coming from where the rear view mirror meets the windshield.

Rattle sounds like metal on metal clicking, ticking, etc...

Isn't heard all the time, can happen at high speeds and low speeds, sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Can't be heard when radio is on.

Noticing when taking offramps and turning, when it is occurring, it's constant around the turn. Noticing turning can cause or make a difference with this sound (I'm sure it's not coming from a side of the vehicle, or tire/rim area).

Bumps or roads imperfections don't make a difference as far as causing it.

I started to notice it after getting my windshield replaced the first time.

Sorry for the horrible description, but I'm hoping someone had similar. At first I though it was caused by rubbing where the windshield wiper comes out of the vehicle (as this is making a sound when touching the plastic piece), but I'm starting to think that's not the case.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
I have a 2014 cls63 and the car has rattle issues all over. I hear some coming from the steering column, the rear shelf where the subwoofer is. There was a rattle coming from where the stereo is but benz dealership took care of that but the rear shelf rattle is not going anywhere
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by Yasser Haider
I have a 2014 cls63 and the car has rattle issues all over. I hear some coming from the steering column, the rear shelf where the subwoofer is. There was a rattle coming from where the stereo is but benz dealership took care of that but the rear shelf rattle is not going anywhere
For the steering column, use the adjuster and make the steering wheel do it's fully range of motion a couple times, this might help (I think it spreads the lube on the joints). Also, check to make sure that the ODB-II (sorry if I'm wrong on spelling) connector cap is on and snapped.

As for the rear shelf... If you can inspect around the speaker... I believe that pre-delivery, there is a crusty plastic film that is peeled off before delivery. I hear a rattling in mine, and it was a bit of the film that tore off that was still wedged under the speaker... After fiddling with that it stopped that rattle.
The following users liked this post:
Yasser Haider (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27 AM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
Sounds like something wasn't snugged up properly when doing the windshield, especially if you first noticed it after the repair... Try talking to the shop that did the work.

Yes, lots of rattles here, too. Who knows about the one in the passenger side door armrest? Do I need to take the whole door apart to get at the source of that? Applying pressure stops the rattle.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:11 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by quandary
Sounds like something wasn't snugged up properly when doing the windshield, especially if you first noticed it after the repair... Try talking to the shop that did the work.

Yes, lots of rattles here, too. Who knows about the one in the passenger side door armrest? Do I need to take the whole door apart to get at the source of that? Applying pressure stops the rattle.
OMG I get a sound from the passenger side as well, but only happens when driving...so not really sure how to figure out where it's coming from

I also have this funny noise the comes on when costing, but not everytime sounds like a terrrrrr trrrrrrr trrrrr, very faint drill hammer sound.

Please let me know if you get it resolved, or if the dealer says anything

Thx

Last edited by Zod; 08-11-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:45 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by quandary

I had it done at the dealership. But I'm not sure if that is when it started or not...

And wow, I'm surprised to hear about multiple people having the passenger arm rest/side trim rattle. I have that one too! So annoying!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM

2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Zhariak
For the steering column, use the adjuster and make the steering wheel do it's fully range of motion a couple times, this might help (I think it spreads the lube on the joints). Also, check to make sure that the ODB-II (sorry if I'm wrong on spelling) connector cap is on and snapped.

As for the rear shelf... If you can inspect around the speaker... I believe that pre-delivery, there is a crusty plastic film that is peeled off before delivery. I hear a rattling in mine, and it was a bit of the film that tore off that was still wedged under the speaker... After fiddling with that it stopped that rattle.

I will try the steering wheel trick and update... whats ODB-II ?

I had a bad subwoofer about 5 months ago they changed the subwoofer (rattle existed before it) so i told them to look at the rattle too since they had to take the rear shelf off to do the job.. it started rattling harder once i got it back so i took it back to them and they said two of the connectors were not connected that was causing the rattle. It stayed good for a few days and then that rattle was back.. im waiting for my next service so i can make them look at the rear shelf again
Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
whats ODB-II ?
"On-board diagnostics (OBD) is an automotive term referring to a vehicle's self-diagnostic and reporting capability. OBD systems give the vehicle owner or repair technician access to the status of the various vehicle subsystems."

It's a plug used to connect to diagnostic computer's plug.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I will try the steering wheel trick and update... whats ODB-II ?

I had a bad subwoofer about 5 months ago they changed the subwoofer (rattle existed before it) so i told them to look at the rattle too since they had to take the rear shelf off to do the job.. it started rattling harder once i got it back so i took it back to them and they said two of the connectors were not connected that was causing the rattle. It stayed good for a few days and then that rattle was back.. im waiting for my next service so i can make them look at the rear shelf again
This plug cover is under drivers dash by your left leg
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM

2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
Interesting!

I will have a look at it today
Old 08-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 cls63s amg, 1966 chevelle SS, 2010 Chevrolet duramax
In my 2014 cls63 I get a bad rattle coming from the headliner sunroof area. Going into mercedes on Friday for them to look into it
Old 08-21-2016, 04:37 PM

2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
Turns out that shade that slides up and down on rear windshield was whats causing the rattle. When i had it up there is no rattle or hardly any.. as soon as i slide it down there's all kinds of rattle coming from that area.. time to take it back to benz and make them look into it
Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Wow, the rattle from my original post is really bad now...

I think it's coming from the rear view mirror assembly (where all the camera's are and stuff). Almost positive, but there's still a chance the front windshield is reflecting the sound and it's coming from the dash.

Either way, we'll see what happens!

I noticed there was some play in the hood movement, so I adjusted the hood spacer, tapped on the glass a few times too around the camera assembly...

Started driving, the rattle was gone, I thought I was in the clear for about 30 minutes. Then I hit a bump in the road and bam, it's back in full force now...

2nd Edit:

Ok, so I just went on the hunt... Tapping everything, nothing made any sounds. THEN, I noticed if I use my nuckle on the plastic assembly for the camera's, it makes the screw rattle sound. Then tapped my nuckles on the inside glass all over, the camera assembly made the sound... Tapping outside of the vehicle too on the glass anywhere, and the camera assembly rattles.

FINALLY found and confirmed this bad boy, hahaha.

Last edited by Zhariak; 08-28-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
My pet peeve rattle is the trim piece under the nav screen on my 2012. Drives me insane.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:16 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Alright, here's an update... I'm hoping this info can help some of you if this same thing occurs...

Just to re-cap. It's a metal sounding rattle, sounds like it's coming from dash, drive train, wheel wells, etc... Took me month to actually narrow it down to the windshield array in front of the rear view mirror. You can confirm this by: When the intermittent rattle is occurring, you can turn the vehicle off, and tap anywhere on the windshield, this will re-produce the metal tin sound.

Anyways, I had it in at the dealer, they said they couldn't reproduce the sound, but checked it anyways, checked the wiring. They said the just re-seated the wires or something but everything looked good.

I got the vehicle back, no change, the rattle is still there (it's been getting worse the last couple weeks). Also, today is one of the first times I've driven the vehicle in rain weather (serious bro), and the rain sensing windshield wipers weren't working, so I had to use the manual settings. Then after it stopped raining, I tried the automatic again, and it just continuously wiped the windshield even though it was clean and not wet.

Finally today, I had enough (this is 1 week after my dealership visit). I decided to see if I could get access to whatever is between the plastic cover and inner windshield.

The plastic panel comes off very easily (just be gentle, there are 4 clips).

Here's what I found

So, the rain sensor was only clipped on the one side, and it was dangling from the clip on the driver side. The metal band around the sensor is what was making the sound.

I re-attached it (this took some work, it doesn't clip in as easily as one would guess), but I finally got it after 2+ minutes of being gentle and using a bit of force, to clip in.

I thought that maybe the tech noticed this and re-attached the clip, only for it to fall out again, however I tapped it, tried moving it, but the clip didn't want to come undone. I also used a flashlight and looked at where the sensor is from outside of the vehicle, I have quite a bit of dust-buildup between the glass and the sensor.

Took it for a road test afterwards over some hard bumps. THE RATTLE IS FIXED.

And, I tested the rain sensing windshield wipers, and they now work.

I'm not sure if the tech said he checked it, but didn't, or what. But I'm hoping it's fixed for good. I'm going to drive it for a couple weeks to see if it becomes un-clipped again. I'm thinking this was just a crappy windshield replacement job.
The following users liked this post:
Jan AMG (10-22-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Ugh...

While my rain sensing wipers are working now, I'm noticing (when shining a light at the windshield) that there's a ton of dust or debris between the windshield and the rain/light sensor...

I'm wondering if I should make another service appointment, or just undo the clip and shoot some compressed air in there...