C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

New CLS63 Owner from St. Louis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 cls63 AMG
New CLS63 Owner from St. Louis

Just took delivery of my 2012 CLS63 AMG last Monday. It has a Renntech Stage one tune with a reported 696hp and 801tq. I looked around for about 6 months to find the right low mileage car, service history, with the Renntech tune and finally found it in Shavertown, PA, bought it and had it shipped to me. The car had 19,876 miles when it arrived and it is about as nice as it can get. I cannot get over the car, the look of it, the performance, everything. It truly is a dream come true. I received the car on Tuesday, put some 20" Giovanna Halebs on it on Thursday and put it on a dyno on Saturday. It was a busy week. The dyno numbers were a bit lower than I expected but there were two factors that played a role. I had the dyno guy stop at 6000 RPM's and rumor has it that this particular dyno reports horsepower numbers 50 horsepower less than what cars actually produce. The car put down 533rwhp and 585rwtq on this dyno which if the 50 hp rumors are true, then I am right where I expected to be, which is close to 600rwhp. Regardless, the car will break the cold tires loose at 50 mph on the road and is fast as hell so I'm not complaining.

Mods to come are:
The overall look of the car is going to be murdered out with the color scheme being satin and gloss black with gloss carbon fiber accent pieces. I see it in my head already and now I have to bring it to fruition.
wrap all the chrome so there is no chrome showing
Do a complete satin black wrap on the car
Tint the windshield
tint the tail lights and all marker lights - done
Wrap the face of the wheels satin black
I already ordered a three piece front splitter, rear diffuser and spoiler online. I could not justify the ridiculous prices of these parts so I got these parts from Dubai and plan to have them sprayed with a high quality clear before installing. The front three piece splitter will have clear bra installed on it as well. I'm patiently waiting the 15-30 days for these items to show up. Blah.

Anyhow, this site rocks, I'll keep updating as I get stuff done. Nice to meet all of you!!

If anyone has experience with installing a rear diffuser on this car, please post a link to a thread. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 S550 + 2014 CLS63 + 1993 300zx TT + 2014 Pathfinder + 2013 Hyundai Sanata
Originally Posted by bulldog777
Just took delivery of my 2012 CLS63 AMG last Monday. It has a Renntech Stage one tune with a reported 696hp and 801tq. I looked around for about 6 months to find the right low mileage car, service history, with the Renntech tune and finally found it in Shavertown, PA, bought it and had it shipped to me. The car had 19,876 miles when it arrived and it is about as nice as it can get. I cannot get over the car, the look of it, the performance, everything. It truly is a dream come true. I received the car on Tuesday, put some 20" Giovanna Halebs on it on Thursday and put it on a dyno on Saturday. It was a busy week. The dyno numbers were a bit lower than I expected but there were two factors that played a role. I had the dyno guy stop at 6000 RPM's and rumor has it that this particular dyno reports horsepower numbers 50 horsepower less than what cars actually produce. The car put down 533rwhp and 585rwtq on this dyno which if the 50 hp rumors are true, then I am right where I expected to be, which is close to 600rwhp. Regardless, the car will break the cold tires loose at 50 mph on the road and is fast as hell so I'm not complaining.

Mods to come are:
The overall look of the car is going to be murdered out with the color scheme being satin and gloss black with gloss carbon fiber accent pieces. I see it in my head already and now I have to bring it to fruition.
wrap all the chrome so there is no chrome showing
Do a complete satin black wrap on the car
Tint the windshield
tint the tail lights and all marker lights - done
Wrap the face of the wheels satin black
I already ordered a three piece front splitter, rear diffuser and spoiler online. I could not justify the ridiculous prices of these parts so I got these parts from Dubai and plan to have them sprayed with a high quality clear before installing. The front three piece splitter will have clear bra installed on it as well. I'm patiently waiting the 15-30 days for these items to show up. Blah.

Anyhow, this site rocks, I'll keep updating as I get stuff done. Nice to meet all of you!!

If anyone has experience with installing a rear diffuser on this car, please post a link to a thread. Thanks in advance.

That's a gorgeous ride you have there champ and I don't think you could have made a more sound decision seeing how it has low mileage with the R1 Pkg already installed. Excellent choices on the upgrades and I'll be joining you soon on a few of the exterior mods. Quick question though? Where did you order parts from in Dubai because I'll be there in less than a week and I wanted to stop by the place and possibly bring some stuff home on the plane? Again... welcome aboard and keep the community live by letting us know how things are shaping up on your beast.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
I ordered my parts from a company called Carmarka. I ordered my splitter, spoiler and diffuser off eBay as a three piece kit for $1790 shipped. I decided to take a chance on them rather than drop the $7k+ on Renntech parts. They are knock off the Renntech parts so I'm hoping they are good. It's an expensive gamble but if I have to tweak them slightly to fit perfectly, so be it. After I rough fit the pieces, I am taking the parts directly to my painter to get them sprayed with a very high quality clear coat so they don't fail prematurely. Fingers are crossed!!

Here is a link to the website:
https://carmarka.com/en/search/index?q=cls63

Avery Dennison Supreme Wrap Film in Satin Black arrived today so the wrap will go on after I get these carbon parts. I want to do it all at once.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
.s

Last edited by hyperion667; 10-24-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
Post pics after the wrap. I am going to get my cls wrapped but im still unsure of the color... I was thinking matt grey. I have a black CLS aswell..
Old 10-19-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG & 2014 E550 coupe
Just joined this forum for the reason that I am looking into the 3 piece kit from carmarka and wanted to know how the quality is! let us know. also, were you looking into cf mirror covers too? as I'm not sure where to order from

Last edited by xoteela; 10-19-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 AM

2012 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yasser Haider
Post pics after the wrap. I am going to get my cls wrapped but im still unsure of the color... I was thinking matt grey. I have a black CLS aswell..
I own a wrap company and been in the industry for 17 years. If you are serious about getting your car wrapped, let me know and I will point you to the right company no matter where you are in the World. There are a lot of wrap companies out there and I know all the great ones. My website is www.wewrapanything.com

Matte grey can look like primer, I considered gloss mouse grey for my car but settled on satin black. If I were you I would strongly consider a satin finish opposed to a matte finish. Matte is extremely difficult to care for. And no matter what wrap you get, spend the extra $500 or so to get it ceramic coated. The ceramic coating makes cleaning a breeze.
The following users liked this post:
Yasser Haider (10-24-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM

2012 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by xoteela
Just joined this forum for the reason that I am looking into the 3 piece kit from carmarka and wanted to know how the quality is! let us know. also, were you looking into cf mirror covers too? as I'm not sure where to order from
They made a mistake shipping the parts to me so shipping has been delayed. I will absolutely let you know how the parts are when I get them. I'm really hoping they are nice. Regardless I'm still getting them re-clear coated for my own sanity.

I'm going to put the spoiler, diffuser and three piece splitter on and see how I like it then I might get the mirror covers. I don't want to overdo it with too much carbon.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:10 AM

2012 cls63 AMG

She was looking nice on display yesterday!!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=bulldog777;7292536]

She was looking nice on display yesterday!! [/

Oh wow, this must be one of those lunch break pictures because I see a Viper that's ready to be eaten alive in the background.

LOL!

Seriously though... your whip is looking good my man!!!!

Last edited by 0mercy; 10-22-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: wrong car
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM

2012 cls63 AMG
[QUOTE=0mercy;7292540]

She was looking nice on display yesterday!! [/

Oh wow, this must be one of those lunch break pictures because I see a Viper that's ready to be eaten alive in the background.

LOL!

Seriously though... your whip is looking good my man!!!!
That particular Viper is what started the journey to get this car. Here's the story:
When I was 29 years old I had a client come in to my office for a wrap on his 2008 Dodge Viper ACR-X. The second I pulled that car in to my garage, my life changed. I immediately set a goal to buy a Dodge Viper ACR-X for my 35th birthday. I figured I could change my life enough financially in 5 years that I could afford such a luxury. Jump ahead about 5 years, in this time my personal life changed; I got married and had two wonderful boys. With my current life buying a 2 seater racecar would be an incredibly selfish thing for me to do. I still had this goal in my head and thought about it every single day. I started to scour the internet to find a vehicle that had massive horsepower and could do rolling burnouts, and at the same time had 4 doors and fit car seats if and when needed. I came across the Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG. The rest is history.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=bulldog777;7293235]
Originally Posted by 0mercy

That particular Viper is what started the journey to get this car. Here's the story:
When I was 29 years old I had a client come in to my office for a wrap on his 2008 Dodge Viper ACR-X. The second I pulled that car in to my garage, my life changed. I immediately set a goal to buy a Dodge Viper ACR-X for my 35th birthday. I figured I could change my life enough financially in 5 years that I could afford such a luxury. Jump ahead about 5 years, in this time my personal life changed; I got married and had two wonderful boys. With my current life buying a 2 seater racecar would be an incredibly selfish thing for me to do. I still had this goal in my head and thought about it every single day. I started to scour the internet to find a vehicle that had massive horsepower and could do rolling burnouts, and at the same time had 4 doors and fit car seats if and when needed. I came across the Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG. The rest is history.
i just love beautiful stories like that with happy endings lol. I have two little girls so I understand the power of the search lol. I was eyeballing the CLS63 for 3 years prior to making the purchase. Since my job requires me to travel a lot I don’t get to drive it much. I purchased the car about 4 months ago and have only put 100 miles on it. Long story short is my previous Manager has a 2016 Viper and doesn’t know about my new purchase. I’m coming home to show some love to the Dodge!!!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 PM

2012 cls63 AMG

Started the wrap today on accident. My new black emblem came in so I had to. Avery Dennison Satin Black and after I'm done it will get Ceramic Pro ceramic coating. I'll post pics as I go, having zero spare time makes it tough to work on my own stuff so it'll take a week or two.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
i ordered some mirror covers tonight off eBay. There are so many choices so I took a chance with some right in the middle of the pricing at $125 for the pair. I'm going to get them sprayed with a high quality clear coat when they arrive before installing. I'll let you know how they turn out and fit. I will have them next week but I'll be at SEMA so I won't be able to install them until the second week of November. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 AM

i ordered some mirror covers tonight off eBay. There are so many choices so I took a chance with some right in the middle of the pricing at $125 for the pair. I'm going to get them sprayed with a high quality clear coat when they arrive before installing. I'll let you know how they turn out and fit. I will have them next week but I'll be at SEMA so I won't be able to install them until the second week of November. I'll let you know how it goes.

ooo can't wait to see everything done! Thanks for sharing :-)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 AM

Started the wrap today on accident. My new black emblem came in so I had to. Avery Dennison Satin Black and after I'm done it will get Ceramic Pro ceramic coating. I'll post pics as I go, having zero spare time makes it tough to work on my own stuff so it'll take a week or two.
how many ceramic coats are you planning to do?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:03 AM

2012 cls63 AMG
how many ceramic coats are you planning to do?
Two coats of base and one top coat. Three coats is pretty standard practice when we ceramic coat wraps.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
Received my Carmarka carbon three piece splitter, spoiler and diffuser today. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't blown away with the finish and quality. Spoiler mocked up well, front splitter did also but I didn't have time to check the rear diffuser before I had to drop them off at the painter. The parts seemed to really fit well but we'll see.

On my way to the painter I decided to do all the carbon in a satin finish to match the wrap. I set that high gloss spoiler on the satin wrap and it was just too much shine. I can always repaint them when I rewrap it in a year or three.

Im going to wait for my mirror covers to come in so everything is sprayed at once as satin clear is apparently super finaky and hard to match day to day.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP

Looking good man. Welcome to the badass black CLS club. I'll be wrapping mine satin black in the spring as well. Are you an Avery dealer? I wanted to do satin Nero Pearl, but having issues finding any around folks that have it. Got any hook ups?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
I own a wrap company and been in the industry for 17 years. If you are serious about getting your car wrapped, let me know and I will point you to the right company no matter where you are in the World. There are a lot of wrap companies out there and I know all the great ones. My website is www.wewrapanything.com

Matte grey can look like primer, I considered gloss mouse grey for my car but settled on satin black. If I were you I would strongly consider a satin finish opposed to a matte finish. Matte is extremely difficult to care for. And no matter what wrap you get, spend the extra $500 or so to get it ceramic coated. The ceramic coating makes cleaning a breeze.
I am from Indiana... not far from you since you are in Missouri... Do let me know if you know anyone in my state that can do premium wrap... What do you think about black chrome? How difficult is that to care for? My CLS has not seen highways but i still have rock chips on the front bumper and very little on the hood aswell (thanx to contruction all year round in our state)

Thanx
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Looking good man. Welcome to the badass black CLS club. I'll be wrapping mine satin black in the spring as well. Are you an Avery dealer? I wanted to do satin Nero Pearl, but having issues finding any around folks that have it. Got any hook ups?
I drive an F-150 as my daily and it is wrapped in Avery Satin Nero, one of my favorite colors ever. I might be able to find a roll but it is like finding a unicorn. There are still rolls out there but they are increasingly rare as the color was discontinued about a year ago. KPMF is another high quality vinyl manufacturer that makes a perfect match to the Avery Satin Nero. KPMF is readily available but a little harder to work with as an installer. Both Avery and KPMF will hold about the same warranty, which is 3 years.

Last edited by bulldog777; 10-25-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yasser Haider
I am from Indiana... not far from you since you are in Missouri... Do let me know if you know anyone in my state that can do premium wrap... What do you think about black chrome? How difficult is that to care for? My CLS has not seen highways but i still have rock chips on the front bumper and very little on the hood aswell (thanx to contruction all year round in our state)

Thanx
Daren Merkle from Shadow Graphics in Indianapolis is the best in the business in Indiana. I cannot speak highly enough of Daren, his abilities and his professionalism.

Black chrome is beautiful but if you go chrome, make sure you understand the high maintenance that comes with chrome. It is ALWAYS dirty. Also, you MUST laminate the chrome materials. The laminate helps protect the chrome wrap film from scratching. Every imperfection in your bumper will be seen with any wrap, specifically chrome. It is best to sand them down if you will be bothered by it.

The best chrome on the market is Avery Dennison and the laminate you want to pair it with is Avery's DOL1460 gloss. You can also laminate it with DOL1370 for a "frozen" or satin look.

So you know, I am employed through Avery Dennison. I am one of two people contracted for training and certifying wrap installers in North America. BUT with that being said, my opinions on the materials are 100% from experience. If Avery wasn't the best choice I would let you know my true feelings and opinion. I have used almost every material known to the market in the last 17 years in real world scenarios. I know what is good and what is not and will shoot you guys straight.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I drive an F-150 as my daily and it is wrapped in Avery Satin Nero, one of my favorite colors ever. I might be able to find a roll but it is like finding a unicorn. There are still rolls out there but they are increasingly rare as the color was discontinued about a year ago. KPMF is another high quality vinyl manufacturer that makes a perfect match to the Avery Satin Nero. KPMF is readily available but a little harder to work with as an installer. Both Avery and KPMF will hold about the same warranty, which is 3 years.
I saw the KPMF stuff, but it looks more grey to me than the avery SW900. Do you have any good daylight picks of your F150? I think I might just go your route and do straight satin black, but I'lll probably get a bit of the KPMF satin nero.to test.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 PM

2012 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I saw the KPMF stuff, but it looks more grey to me than the avery SW900. Do you have any good daylight picks of your F150? I think I might just go your route and do straight satin black, but I'lll probably get a bit of the KPMF satin nero.to test.
Any satin nero is going to have some silver in it and in different light, it looks completely different. There is a really dark grey from KPMF called Bayou Black that is awesome. The pics below of the Mustang is Bayou Black. It is very nice. Not matte, not satin but right in between. Lots of color out of it as well, silver, grey, light black, dark black.

I'll post pics of my truck when I wash the turd . It's dirty right now.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 PM

2012 cls63 AMG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New CLS63 Owner from St. Louis