C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

New Buyer! XFR-S to CLS63 AMG S Sell me!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar XFR-S
New Buyer! XFR-S to CLS63 AMG S Sell me!

Hey guys! 35 year old business owner here and as my company has been lucky enough to continue to grow at a rapid pace, so have my cars!

Had a 530 for a while, got a normal XF (320HP.... I think), then to an XFR "S" (had the computer mod done which is the ONLY difference between the 550hp S version, well a few suspension and .... nevermind, you get the point.

So I drive A LOT for work, but I am also a massive car enthusiast. With that said, these are my daily drivers and I drive them HARD, I got my 2012 XFR in 2013 and paid it off last year, a few weeks ago I started hearing what sounded like rod knock (was a mechanic in high school). Sure enough, rod knock it is.

Now, I am fine with my Jaguar, this is actually the first problem I have had with it and at 163,000 miles I am not all that shocked that it is time to go. While I was looking at what to do, just simply fixing it seemed like the best option while I wait for something I absolutely love to replace it. Then Jaguar told me about how they basically now build "throw away cars" and they "pressurize" the rod bearings in before installing them, literally told me they had a 30 second window to do so making it costly, and impossible to do by myself. I looked at the guy and got extremely angry telling him how absolutely stupid that sounds .... to my surprise the same story was repeated by 3 dealers and an after market guy claiming to be the only one on the west coast who could fix the car .... but for $15,000 ..... yeah, no thank you.

So off to car shopping I go, LOOOOVE cars and love car shopping even more. So it really comes down to four (pretty much three..... actually two) cars and I was curious to come to your forum, ask a few questions and see the prideful reaction of those who own and love their cars. This would in fact be my first Mercedes as well. Most of my driving is done at freeway speeds, so 40-140 is really my "sweet spot" and I don't launch cars from 0-60 too often just because it's tough on the car and there isn't much of a need.

Since Jaguar decided to drop the XFR-S line altogether, their cars are now worthless to me, done and done.

The M5 has great performance numbers, handles fun coming from someone who is very skilled at driving/drifting and understanding the limits a car can take. But they are sooooo boring looking .... they look identical to a damn 3 series! So while this is ON the list, it's pretty much a non starter.

The Cadillac CTS-V i quite impressive and I love the sound, but meh, it's just feels cheap and doesn't have the fun to drive factor that I got out of my Jaguar. I will say though, that trap speed of 126 (stated) is quite impressive and it sounds like a beast on the freeway, but alas, just not attracted to it.

And then there were two, the Audi RS7 and the CLS63 AMG-S.

The Audi was extremely underwhelming in person, not as attractive as I thought and just didn't jump off the page at me. The interior was the worst out of all the cars driven as well IMO; Jaguar, BMW, Merc, Caddi

So off to Mercedes I go. Looks wise, this seems to be it, love the car, black on black, just screams sex to me! Dealer got mad at me on the test drive because I took it to 110 and it felt like a dream, was fun to have turbos again like my old high school car vs the supercharger in the Jag. Definitely remember and feel the difference, not to mention the sound of the CLS is absolutely beautiful.

Now the down sides, my Jaguar's interior in my opinion is much better put together, looks more elegant and I just think it seems more comfortable. Anyone felt this way? Perhaps I have just been driving an XF/XFR for so many years now that I am just used to it?

The performance was fairly typical for a turbocharged car vs supercharged and I expected that. The AWD def helped with that issue and it didn't bother me too much, but it was noticeable. Oh btw, did I mention how much I love the exhaust note?

(Benchmark racing) has my Jag with the modification done to turn it into an XFR-S to run a 4.1 0-60 and a 12.4 quarter at 115.6 MPH. The CLS (bench racing) does a 3.1 and 11.5 respectively which is a great difference, especially with sucha higher trap speed of 123. So it definitely will be a freeway killer epecially against any of those pesky R7's I will see on the freeway.

So, found a couple great ones and could pick one up as early as next week. But tell me about the car? How is the reliability? If something breaks can I actually fix it? Or am I going to run into the same **** Jaguar pulled with me about it basically being "throwaway pieces".

I will be searching this forum like crazy and soaking up all I can, but would love to just introduce myself and say hello and hopefully hear all the positive and negative impressions you all may have on owning and driving these beautiful cars.

I understand there is also an easy ECU tune that can drop the car down to somewhere near an 11 flat, is this true? What are the costs on it and what does it do to the warranty? Some companies notice, some don't, just curious if anyone has this experience.

Looking forward to chatting wth you all in the future! With the rod knock getting worse my Jaguar needs to be replaced within the month, so I need to buy a car and honestly am pretty sure it will be a CLS. So sell me! Whatcha guys think?

Last edited by Asheal89; 05-08-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
I have a 15 CLS63-S daily driver, and its ok. My buddy has an RS7, and he has always smoked me. Stock, or both modded, much quicker, better noises, better transmission, better audio system. I'm a Mercedes nut through and through, but between an RS7 and CLS63, I'm sorry the RS7 wins in every category possible. Not saying I would ever buy one.

You should see If you can find yourself a low mileage 2016+ E63?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 AM

Jaguar XFR-S
Originally Posted by AHI
I have a 15 CLS63-S daily driver, and its ok. My buddy has an RS7, and he has always smoked me. Stock, or both modded, much quicker, better noises, better transmission, better audio system. I'm a Mercedes nut through and through, but between an RS7 and CLS63, I'm sorry the RS7 wins in every category possible. Not saying I would ever buy one.

You should see If you can find yourself a low mileage 2016+ E63?
Thanks for getting back to me! Really respect your opinion as you definitely seem knowledgeable about cars.

I want the LCS (particularly the 2015 model for 100% the look of the car. At the end of the day, all the cars in the series, CLS63S, RS7, Hellcat, M5, CTSV E63 are fairly similar cars unless you are running a true quarter mile test up to 125-130 miles an hour.

This will be my work car, I will almost never fully on drag race it, and almost 90% of the "runs" I will be doing will be messing with people on the freeway from 50-120 MPH.

I have a 300GT VR-4 in my garage with about 840 to the wheels that is my baby so I am very familiar with AWD drive cars, not the smarter AWD of today, but at least am familiar with the feel.

With that said, I hat eto say it but the looks of the care are the number one factor to me. Yes the E63 is .1 seconds faster because of the weight, but I simply don't care. Not to mention the articles I read have shown the CLS63 has a higher trap speed which will be more useful for my type of driving. Got all the numbers lined up and just found a 2016 CLS63 AMG s with 17,000 miles on it and should be picking it up in the next week or so. Will post picture here when I have it.

Likewise, I just think the E classes here in Orange County are a dime a dozen, even the AMG ones don't stick out enough to make me feel like I am driving something unlike much else you see on the road. The CLS is a head turner, the E class is a dime a dozen even if it is an AGM.

The sound of the car and the absolutely stunning looks simply put it ahead of the Audi to me. Yes, the RS7 Performance is ridiculously fast, but the interior is BUTTTTT UGLY, I would get sick of being in that car extremely fast.

I live in SoCal so will immediately be taking a trip to OE to get the stage 1 Flash to bump it to 660 the same day I bought it, from what I have seen it looks like it runs a touch above an 11 flat with just tune alone so I am more than happy with that for my daily driver work car.

With that said, I would love to hear all your impressions about the CLS63, the performance upgrades and how you feel about the car in general. Yes I konw there are cars out thre that may be a .1 second or two faster or have a higher trap seed, but I am not a drag strip guy. I drive 25-30,000 miles per year for work, owning my own company and my car is my office. Being in the car I love is a HUGE plus when it comes to growing my business.

After talking to the OE guys, with what I am using my car for he advised to just do he flash to 660HP and be happy with that, would you guys agree? Definitely don't want to go crazy, that is what my VR-4 is for.

Funny thing, with alllll the crazy tech and money I put into that mitsu back in high school (yes I still have it) the best I ran was a 10.54, so now I will be driving a 4 door sedan that is ALMOST as fast as my 3000! lol gotta love new technology right?

So with that said, fire away opinion! Good bad and indifferent, this will be my first Benz an I would love to hear your stories.

Looking forward to joining the club!

Last edited by Asheal89; 03-29-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
Audi's do absolutely nothing for me .

Good call on a cls

They are rare where I am, so it's nice not to see my car 100 X a day.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've been enjoying my CLS for years! My best car ever in terms of style and powerrrrr!
Good luck on your search.
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (04-10-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:45 AM

Jaguar XFR-S
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to check back into this post for an update.

I am officially joining the MB family for the first time! Pretty stoked! Found a used 2016 CLS63AMG S for a GREAT DEAL with only ~14,000 miles on it only a few states away, they are shipping it out to me tomorrow and hopefully it will be in my garage within the week.

It has the (what I call) the "Silver 9 Fork" wheels vs the "Silver 10 Spoke" wheels which is a bummer because I actually like the spoked ones better than the "fork", but the mileage/price for the car in "Magnetic Metallic Black" was something I simply couldn't pass up. Perhaps I will buy custom wheels for it eventually and it won't matter, but for now I am nothing but stoked!

Found a buyer for my XFR and let it go for a thousand less than I was hoping, but at this point I just don't care anymore and wanted to get rid of my Jaguar and get into a CLS63 AMG S

As to the advice above, first and foremost I am simply not a fan of the E-Class MB's so the E63 was never even in consideration. As to the Audi, I totally respect your opinion on the RS7 and that it technically has slightly better performance, but in all honesty I just think it is kinda an ugly car, especially for how much more it is than the CLS. Nothing against those of you who have one, they just don't do it for me when I see one drive by. Not to mention the stock vs stock performance numbers are so close to identical that it really was more of an aesthetics thing for me.

I know the newest RS7's are a bit faster, but I thoroughly enjoyed the motortrend article comparing the 2014 Porsche, Mercedes and Audi "Luxury Super Sports Sedans"
http://www.motortrend.com/news/luxur...dan-comparison.

Now, this is from 2014 so yes, the RS7 has improved since then, but unfortunately so has the price. At this point I can only afford up to around $80k and that puts a 2017+ RS7 out of my wheelhouse. Here was what I thought was a good article showing the newest RS7's numbers to be compared to.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ce-test-review

So with that being said the RS7 vs the CLS63 was (according to those 2 articles, obviously there are a million things to consider):

----------------- 2014 RS7 ------- CLS63 --------- Performance Prestige RS7
Cost ----------$126,000 ----------$117,000 -------------- $137,000

0-60 --------------- 3.2 s -------------3.4 s ------------------- 2.9 s
Quarter Time ----11.6 s --------- 11.7 s -------------------11.0 s
Quarter Trap --- 120.4 MPH --- 122.7 MPH --------- 129.0 MPH

So yes, the RS7 (especially the Performance Prestige) are a touch faster than my/our CLS63's but not by much and again, I really just don't like the way the Audi looks so that by itself kinda seals the deal. Yes the Performance Prestige is .7 seconds faster which is a hell of a lot at the track, so is the 7 MPH increase in Trap Speed. But those are incredibly rare and I don't really plan on drag racing my car anyways. At highway speeds I expect to do just fine against pretty much anything out there especially after doing the stage 1 OE tune.

Anyways, I am starting to ramble now ..... lol, but I AM EXCITED AS HELL!!!!! Never ran my Jaguar at the track but with the tuning it was supposed to run (benchmark racing) a 12.4 @ 115 MPH w/ a 0-60 of 4.2 s..... So this is going to be a nice upgrade for me! Especially the AWD, if you have read above you know my "baby" is my old 3000GT VR-4 and I LOVE and MISS the hell out of driving an AWD car, so really looking forward to my CLS being delivered even more so!

As of right now I am driving my rental car (300C) and it is going to be hilarious when I get the car delivered next week. Going from RWD to AWD, .8 seconds faster to 60, almost a full second faster to the quarter and most importantly to me (lots of freeway driving) a trap of almost 8 MPH faster. This is all stock! As soon as I get the stage one "flash" the jump will be an even further enjoyable upgrade for me.

Ok ok, I am done rambling .... anyways, so excited to be a part of the MB family! Had a 525, then an XF, then an XFR and now on to my CL63. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Asheal89; 05-08-2018 at 02:50 AM.