CLS 63 AMG 2011 - AIRMATIC FAILURE (REAR) HELPPP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC Coupe, S63L W222
CLS 63 AMG 2011 - AIRMATIC FAILURE (REAR) HELPPP

Hi guys,

We recently had a snow storm here in the UK for a good week and now my CLS 63 Rear Air suspension has dropped on both sides and no longer functions.

Currently no dash lights or warnings, just says 'Vehicle raising, please wait' every time I start the car then message dissppears, thing is the car does NOT raise and the noise it usually makes doesn't appear anymore.

I doubt it's a leak to the Air Spring bags as both sides can't fail at the same time surely.

I have the Star diagnosis and the error I got is: C156C00: System 'Compressed air distribution' is leaky

I have learnt and shared lot's of information about this model but never have I come across an Airmatic issue on a 2011 CLS 63 AMG (Rear Wheel drive)

I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any ideas? Where to start looking?

Things I have done so far:
  • Used Star Diagnostic to raise each left or right strut and this test failed as none raised
  • Star Diagnostic says 'Air Compressor malfunction when it tries to raise Bar pressure'
  • Put the car on a ramp to see any obvious mishaps, but everything was fine from underneath (Had trouble getting car off the ramp after due to car being so low).
Note: CLS 63 AMG has front coil springs and air suspension on the rear only, just in case you weren't aware :-)

Last edited by sambam2006; 03-12-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 S550 + 2014 CLS63 + 1993 300zx TT + 2014 Pathfinder + 2013 Hyundai Sanata
Hey bro.... don’t worry about it because the same thing happen to me. I didn’t have any inclimate weather prior to the issue but basically the same issue. One morning I came outside and my 2014 CLS63 was slammed to the ground in the rear. When I took the car to MB dealership they said it was a busted valve. It’s somewhere in the rear which both sides are touted theough. My car was covered under factory warranty so it was free. But I got my car back the same day so I can only imagine it was a quick fix. I hope this helps you out or at least points you in the right direction.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC Coupe, S63L W222
Just a quick update to the thread, I got the problem fixed at Mercedes main Dealer as I didn't want to take any short cuts etc. Plus with the roadside assistance included with my car I got myself a courtesy car :-D.

Part took nearly a full month to arrive from Germany so only got my car back last week.

Problem was the: Airmatic Compressor unit which had failed
Cost was £480 pound with discount incl VAT and also other benefits are that you get a courtesy car and all parts and work is warranted if anything goes wrong in the future. Plus you get the nice Mercedes paperwork lol