C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Matt's CLS63 Build | Plenty of Photos & Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
CLS63AMG W218 • CM7 Accord • '13 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by 1MavRick
i thought the pipes before the turbo were called manifolds. im sure those are much more expensive and a helluva lot more work...
Every manufacturer of these “downpipes” have different definitions so i always call and confirm. But turbo back DP is the way to go for labor.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by CLS63Matt

Every manufacturer of these “downpipes” have different definitions so i always call and confirm. But turbo back DP is the way to go for labor.
gotcha. Doubtful that theyre in my plans, anyway, as I can’t justify the catless smell for some HP gains. And DP’s with cats seems like hustling backwards. Oh...and my wife would kill me. Hahahaha
Old 12-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63

gotcha. Doubtful that theyre in my plans, anyway, as I can’t justify the catless smell for some HP gains. And DP’s with cats seems like hustling backwards. Oh...and my wife would kill me. Hahahaha
I’ve heard a lot of stories about the smell of catless downpipes but I’ve never experienced it or had catless downpipes on any car before but the stuff I hear about the sound and throttle response makes it seem worth it to me. I’ll probably do it soon and let you kno my thoughts about it after
Old 12-05-2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by amgboy916

I’ve heard a lot of stories about the smell of catless downpipes but I’ve never experienced it or had catless downpipes on any car before but the stuff I hear about the sound and throttle response makes it seem worth it to me. I’ll probably do it soon and let you kno my thoughts about it after

There's definitely a smell. I’m fully catted (3 cats) on my Honda Accord and you can smell it more during cold start, but it doesn’t bother me and definitely worth the pur and power gains.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
It is so nice meeting other CLS63 owners on here! I just got a CLS63amg a week ago and this thing is a torque monster!! I didn't want to do extensive mods because I think the car is very beautiful as is. I might just get some tainted windows and tail lights and maybe a carbon fiber spoiler. I wanted to bring something up to you guys attention. I intend to tune the car to ridiculous level and a renntech tune looks like the best tune since they are a proven company. A renntech tune promises 669Hp and 734 lbft torque for $3400. HOWEVER, do you guys know ALPHA performance ?( The guys who tune GTRs to about 2000+ Hp)? They sell their tune for $2400 to get 700+Hp and 830 lbft torque see this link https://alphaperformance.com/calibra...o-calibration/ . I somehow trust this company because of their extensive knowledge of tuning cars especially GTRs and it is cheaper. I haven't found too many tested CLS63amg Alpha on youtube but I have seen the equivalent E63amg testing with Apha 7 or Alpha 9 packages and those things are monsters on a whole other level. Please let me know what you think ! Also please drop your Instagram ids so that I can add you guys and follow up with whatever mods you are doing. Again, congrats for your cars and make sure to enjoy it to its fullest potential. Life is too short.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
It is so nice meeting other CLS63 owners on here! I just got a CLS63amg a week ago and this thing is a torque monster!! I didn't want to do extensive mods because I think the car is very beautiful as is. I might just get some tainted windows and tail lights and maybe a carbon fiber spoiler. I wanted to bring something up to you guys attention. I intend to tune the car to ridiculous level and a renntech tune looks like the best tune since they are a proven company. A renntech tune promises 669Hp and 734 lbft torque for $3400. HOWEVER, do you guys know ALPHA performance ?( The guys who tune GTRs to about 2000+ Hp)? They sell their tune for $2400 to get 700+Hp and 830 lbft torque see this link https://alphaperformance.com/calibra...o-calibration/ . I somehow trust this company because of their extensive knowledge of tuning cars especially GTRs and it is cheaper. I haven't found too many tested CLS63amg Alpha on youtube but I have seen the equivalent E63amg testing with Apha 7 or Alpha 9 packages and those things are monsters on a whole other level. Please let me know what you think ! Also please drop your Instagram ids so that I can add you guys and follow up with whatever mods you are doing. Again, congrats for your cars and make sure to enjoy it to its fullest potential. Life is too short.
Hi Terence,

Congrats on your beautiful car!

Renntech is a great company, but I believe it's overpriced for what it is. I would look into Eurocharged as that's where I'm leaning towards or HD tuning. The E63's have the same exact motor and is practically the same exact car as the CLS just with a different body so whatever you saw done on the E's can be done to the CLS. I don't know too much about the Apha, but I do know they make cars VERY fast.. so I'm sure you'll be fine with either company. In the end, if you want a good tune to wake up the car I would go with Eurocharged, but if you want the crazy amount of gains maybe consider Apha.

My instagram is f.matthew_
Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Added a front lip and changed my rear diffuser. Let me know what you think!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Lookin good, fam!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 PM

2012 CLS 63
damn thats so wet... when your wheels come in... its game over
Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Looking pretty sick bro..I was planning on getting a carbon fiber from lip and diffuser like that too. How much both cost and whats the price to install?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Lookin good, fam!
Thanks brother

Originally Posted by amgboy916
damn thats so wet... when your wheels come in... its game over
I can't wait.....!

Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Looking pretty sick bro..I was planning on getting a carbon fiber from lip and diffuser like that too. How much both cost and whats the price to install?
Front lip is $340-550 depending where you find it. Install was $100
Rear diffuser is $400-1200 depending where you find it and install was $60
Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLS63
I recognize your car on IG when I was searching up #cls63 on IG haha. Your car looks dope af.
The rear diffuser you got on, where did you get it? link me up fam. I'm not paying $3400 for the original; way overpriced for what it is.
Ive had my shares with Chinese CF lips and diffusers on X5 so I know how installation was.
How bad was the installation on the rear diffuser? any word of advice?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by PP63
I recognize your car on IG when I was searching up #cls63 on IG haha. Your car looks dope af.
The rear diffuser you got on, where did you get it? link me up fam. I'm not paying $3400 for the original; way overpriced for what it is.
Ive had my shares with Chinese CF lips and diffusers on X5 so I know how installation was.
How bad was the installation on the rear diffuser? any word of advice?
Thank you for the kids words. More mods coming very soon.

Here's the link of the diffuser I bought. Fitment wasn't the best but I can't complain for what I paid for it, I would say it's 95% perfect

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...72.m2749.l2649
Old 01-18-2019, 12:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CLS63
Love the look of the diffuser!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mjohn50n
Love the look of the diffuser!
Thank you.

Surprise should be coming tomorrow.

Stay turned!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLS63
Matt, did you have a problem with your diffuser not lining up correctly with the oem bumper? like a wavy gap on the edge?
shoot me some pics of the close up if u have time.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 PM

2012 CLS 63

whats good my CLS brothers I just realized i forgot to update you on my experience of going catless

my current setup is stock exhaust with gutted cats (yes ghetto but hey it passes smog) and resonator delete with straight pipes

first impressions:
Under normal driving conditons it sounds almost exactly the same. in fact, when I picked up the car and drove it for a bit i was really thinking "wtf did this guy even do it? or did he just say he did it and took my money" no lie I was really thinking this until I heard it from the outside. the next day I heard the cold start. and yeah it sounds amazing. its loud on cold starts. personally I love the sound its amazing. I was even thinking about putting the resonator back on or doing h pipe and then deleting the mufflers to add a little bit more sound.. this was what I was considering UNTIL I had the bright idea to give my homie my keys and told him to drive my car while I follow in his car to hear how it sounds. long story short. it sounds like a crazy beast under throttle and during fly bys, its borderline insane i love it. but tamed at low rpms. Couldn't ask for any better. i think if i took the mufflers off it would be a lil too insane and def draw unwanted attention especially with the fact im in CA. I am very satisfied with this setup and if i do change anything itll probably be adding an h pipe to smooth out the idle. with that being said lets move on to the cons.
I also noticed increased throttle response and a lovely sound of turbo whistle. I havent gotten a retune but I believe theres more power on the table as well after that.
CONS:
lets start with the one thing I dont like the MOST. and even this doesn't bother me too much. I really don't like the idle. its a little bit choppy similar to an american muscle car. some people may like this, but I don't. this is caused by the fact I already had the resonator deleted with straight pipes. If you have a resonator in place, or an x pipe, or an H pipe, you wont have this problem

next,

the smell. you can definitely smell the car more. it doesnt bother me a lot, I dont really mind the smell but my gf hates it. Its by no means terrible but I can definitely understand how such a smell is not very characteristic of a mercedes. you will also notice build up on your exhaust tip a lot faster and some black stuff on your bumper after a lot of heavy driving. to me, since i am pretty young, I definitely think the power and sound is worth it in exchange for the smell. let me tell you, you only really smell it under these conditons:

1. cold start with the car in the garage
2. chilling at a stoplight after relatively heavy driving.
3. drive thrus you will smell it too

these are things to consider.

i may upgrade eventually to turbo back pipes, just because of the effiency of them and how much better they are for the turbos. but not anytime soon. I have some other mods in line first.

hope this review can help anyone considering going catless.

Last edited by amgboy916; 02-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.