Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG C218
Question New owner CLS63 AMG - Questions

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

My name is Alex, I'm from Sydney Australia and I just purchased my first AMG - 2012 CLS63 AMG with 91,000km on the clock (Pictures coming soon)

Because this is my first AMG, I wanted to know how to best prolong the life of the M157 motor. I've heard a lot of bad things about this motor but its so damn good, I couldn't walk away from it! So I would love to know how to best look after this motor for anyone that might have tips on this.

Also, what are some common issues to look out for on my CLS 63 AMG?

Thanks for reading lads!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the AMG. I also have a 2012. Bought it new and it's been rock solid since! I recently replaced an oxygen sensor and that's pretty much it! As far as care, if it's been kept up to date with all service and oil changes, then get driving!
Can you share the options and features as well?
And such a looker too eh?

Staying tuned for pics
Old 01-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
Originally Posted by CLS63amgs
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

My name is Alex, I'm from Sydney Australia and I just purchased my first AMG - 2012 CLS63 AMG with 91,000km on the clock (Pictures coming soon)

Because this is my first AMG, I wanted to know how to best prolong the life of the M157 motor. I've heard a lot of bad things about this motor but its so damn good, I couldn't walk away from it! So I would love to know how to best look after this motor for anyone that might have tips on this.

Also, what are some common issues to look out for on my CLS 63 AMG?

Thanks for reading lads!
Welcome to the thread. I just got mine too a month ago and I am enjoying the crap out of it.As of now I can't tell you of any "known problems" with this car. It all depends on how you take care of the car. If you do regular maintenance, it will last you a very long time. That should include changing the oil regularly, spark plugs, all fluid flush. Then every so often have a mechanic check for any oil leaks to make sure no oil spills on your electricals. Change worn out hoses if necessary. Check your battery and tires aswell. Keep tabs of all these. You should be good to go. I am sure if I have missed something, somebody else will chip in.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM

CLS63 AMG C218

Photo of my bad boy!

This is the photo of my car! I'm really enjoying the car but I was hoping someone car tell me what I can do to keep the motor healthy?

Also on cold starts when the oil temp is on the blue....My gearbox shifts gears from 2nd to 3rd a little slippy is this normal on cold starts?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Photo of my bad boy!

This is the photo of my car! I'm really enjoying the car but I was hoping someone car tell me what I can do to keep the motor healthy?

Also on cold starts when the oil temp is on the blue....My gearbox shifts gears from 2nd to 3rd a little slippy is this normal on cold starts?
Bro...You car looks pretty sick! No need for any exterior mods. But if you must, you can carbon fiber your roof and your mirrors (Maybe add some carbon fiber front lip and diffuser). An oil change is good for 5000miles so change it regularly before it is due. If youre not sure when the last owner changed it, then change it yourself so you can keep tabs. AMG engines will last a long time if you take good care of them. Change your spark plugs to performance ones. Every once in a while check for any leaks, replace hoses etc. Also, be sensitive to your car's needs. When sensors are due to be changed, like O2, MAF, Cat, or any sensors, do it promptly to prevent engine problems or damage. For example, how Hyperion has been maintaining his car and it has lasted him for that long.

I don't know about your transmission slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear during cold start. I never drive my car until at least 5 mins when I cold start since the oil might be frozen and the motor and tranny might not be properly lubed, hence why you may be getting a slippage. I would suggest to check your transmission fluid to make sure it has the proper level and its not dirty. Then, reset your transmission. You car stores information about your driving style (ie when and how you change gears) and replicates it. resetting your transmission software will erase the previous owner's shifts and start storing your own. Try those things and keep us updated with any progress.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the AMG. I also have a 2012. Bought it new and it's been rock solid since! I recently replaced an oxygen sensor and that's pretty much it! As far as care, if it's been kept up to date with all service and oil changes, then get driving!
Can you share the options and features as well?
And such a looker too eh?

Staying tuned for pics
Of course it's pretty nice. Mine looks pretty similar
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4

Photo of my bad boy!

good lord that rear wheel and tire. soooo beefy!!! (TWSS)

as far as the oil temp being in the blue...i wouldnt worry about it. mine does the exact same thing then immediately comes back up to 'room temperature' before starting to climb. and yeah...the transmission is notoriously jerky. gotta love the MB wet clutch set-up.

but that rear wheel/tire combo, tho...
Old 02-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
for the oil temperature its fine being blue. just dont go hard on your car at all until it reaches at least 80 degrees

as far as the transmission shifting issue I advise you to unplug the negative cable of your battery overnight and try it to see if that fixes the issues. It could likely be an adaptation issue, if it does not I would have it looked at.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:26 PM

CLS63 AMG C218
Originally Posted by 1MavRick
good lord that rear wheel and tire. soooo beefy!!! (TWSS)
but that rear wheel/tire combo, tho...

That ***!

I thought I'd show you the rear

If you like more photo's let me know!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM

CLS63 AMG C218
Thank you guys for replying back, appreciate it! I just want to do my best to look after the car and ensure that it gets the required attention to prolong the life of the motor.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion in regards to MODS I've been considering. I'm looking to get an exhaust system which I've been looking at IPE. I've seen some videos on YouTube and they sound really good what's your opinion or recommendations? The other MOD I'm considering is downpipes, we know how restrictive they are and I thought it would actually prolong the life of the motor by helping take off that restrictive nature of the stock downpipes.

Terence E ENoh Mentioned performance spark plugs, any recommendations?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Nice looking ride! Loving the stance. What are the specs on your wheel/tire set up? (if you don't mind sharing).
As far as mods, most people with a M157 (as far as I have read on the forum) go with a simple tune. DP's will give you a BIT more power (not much according to many) and doing the rest of the exhaust is mostly just for sound. Must keep in mind what your local emissions laws are if you are going to do your DP... you'll pretty much be removing cats AND let's not forget the possibility of having to drop the motor for install depending on model DP you choose. Happy modding!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Don’t go for “performance” spark plugs, I’m running 770wheel hp on std MB plugs with no issues at all.
The following users liked this post:
amgboy916 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cyclone1
Don’t go for “performance” spark plugs, I’m running 770wheel hp on std MB plugs with no issues at all.
Almost all the tuners I have talked to have recommended changing the OE spark plugs especially when tuning the car, and also especially for the 2012 - 2014 models. PLus if you don't, you'd be getting lots of check engine lights when tuned. And by tuners, I mean Eurocharged, AMS and 3 other custom car tuners.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Almost all the tuners I have talked to have recommended changing the OE spark plugs especially when tuning the car, and also especially for the 2012 - 2014 models. PLus if you don't, you'd be getting lots of check engine lights when tuned. And by tuners, I mean Eurocharged, AMS and 3 other custom car tuners.
Do a search and you’ll find out that the best are the current plugs supplied by MB, this plug was revised circa 2015 and is proven on tuned cars. Like I said mine is running over 750whp or over 900bhp with no issues and no codes, as a precaution I do change them every 5k but let the previous set run for 10k miles with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
amgboy916 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
"upgrading" to the wrong plugs or gap can mean the end of your engine. Its not a joke. your best bet is to use oem plugs. and unless theyre constantly misfiring theres no reason to change them. ive stated this before but my tuner advises 2015+ E63 plugs and they work great

as far as tuners

you need to watch out who you listen to, a lot of tuners sell "upgraded" or "performance" plugs which are just rebadged oem or aftermarket plugs. take your surveys from the many owners of tuned cars who are using oem plugs. its best to stick with OEM unless theyre giving you issues. even then I would only play with the gap a little bit according to tuner recommendation before even considering aftermarket plugs

just my 2 cents
Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 PM

CLS63 AMG C218
Thanks guys for your information!

There's just so much information out there, you need to spend a lot of time filtering what you believe is correct...which is subjective. I'm by no means a knowledgeable guy when it comes to AMG's so I definitely don't claim to be one! I'm honestly a humble owner wanting to share my experience with other W218 CLS 63 owners around the world and if someone can benefit and gain some form of knowledge from that then I know I'm creating a healthy community with the C218 CLS63 owners

The only MODs I want to go as far too is just a complete exhaust system with down downpipes with no CATS! I live in Australia which we have strict emissions law (Assuming quite similar to the laws in the states) but without sounding like a d*ckhead I don't really care about emissions or else I would have been posting on a Toyota Prius forum lmao,

Just last night I put in K&N filters...not expecting any HP gains, Just wanting to make the engine breath better and be less restrictive which I believe ultimately assists with the longevity of the engine.

My biggest concern is I'm scared my timing chain stretches and if it does, I'm scared iI i miss it and causes major damage. Any tips on how I can stay on top of this?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
I have ran both updated oem plugs gapped at 0.022 as well as the NGK plugs gapped the same. I have a Eurocharged stage 2 tune and they recommend the ngk plugs. They are the exact same length and spec as oem. I've noticed the car idles and pulls much smoother with the NGK's I ended up swapping the updated oem plugs out after about a month and know about 10 other people running NGK's without an issue. I would just go with the plug your tuner recommends but there's other options out there outside of oem depending on your power goals. I see you live in Australia so I would definitely do a colder plug than OEM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:51 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Thanks guys for your information!
The only MODs I want to go as far too is just a complete exhaust system with down downpipes with no CATS! I live in Australia which we have strict emissions law (Assuming quite similar to the laws in the states) but without sounding like a d*ckhead I don't really care about emissions or else I would have been posting on a Toyota Prius forum lmao,
Well, it isn't really about whether you CARE about emissions... it's about passing emissions testing. ie, in NYC, we have to go for annual emissions testing. Aside from having them read your ECU, they are technically required to look under your car as well, to SEE if you have cats. Failing means you'll get a $65 ticket every time a COP sees your car on the street. And if you are up for registration renewal... it means your car is getting denied. I have read about some people swapping DP's back and forth to pass inspection. That's a bit too much hassle for a couple of ponies if you ask me. Now, if you are not subject to similar laws, then, hack'em off!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by amgboy916
"upgrading" to the wrong plugs or gap can mean the end of your engine. Its not a joke. your best bet is to use oem plugs. and unless theyre constantly misfiring theres no reason to change them. ive stated this before but my tuner advises 2015+ E63 plugs and they work great

as far as tuners

you need to watch out who you listen to, a lot of tuners sell "upgraded" or "performance" plugs which are just rebadged oem or aftermarket plugs. take your surveys from the many owners of tuned cars who are using oem plugs. its best to stick with OEM unless theyre giving you issues. even then I would only play with the gap a little bit according to tuner recommendation before even considering aftermarket plugs

just my 2 cents
Im guessing 2015+ cls63s OEM plugs are same as the E63s of that year, so those should be ok?