C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Eco mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls 63 amg
Exclamation Eco mode

Just recently bought a cls 63 amg , and noticed and eco mode but never truly looked into what it all did. I figured it just helped “save gas” . Vehicle never stop/start when I would come to a complete stop which I never knew it had those capabilities. That’s until my battery died and i replaced it . This seemed to make the eco mode work correctly and now the engine stops when at a complete stop but every so often when the engine turns over to start it stalls unless I give it a lot of gas . Has anyone encountered this issue ? Car starts perfectly fine with no issues and runs fine other than a rich fuel smell every once in a while.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
Bro..I had a post on this...this will definitely answer your question. ECO mode doesn't do crap to save you gas, it will kill your battery and your starter eventually. Always make it a habit to turn it off every time you start the car. Go here https://mbworld.org/forums/w218/7311...-cls63amg.html
The following users liked this post:
Ixposeu (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Cls 63 amg
So do you think the starter is going bad too ?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Nah, these cars starters are made specifically to handle start/stop with Permanently Engaged starters. Start/top should have no effect on your starter at all. If you encounter heavy traffic like a lot of us do, it does make a difference mileage wise over the long haul. ECO mode does make a difference in MPG on long distance drives.

That's like saying Sports+ mode will kill your transmission prematurely. Your car is made for these modes.

That being said, you can always turn it off if your don't like it.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by rustybear3
Nah, these cars starters are made specifically to handle start/stop with Permanently Engaged starters. Start/top should have no effect on your starter at all. If you encounter heavy traffic like a lot of us do, it does make a difference mileage wise over the long haul. ECO mode does make a difference in MPG on long distance drives.

That's like saying Sports+ mode will kill your transmission prematurely. Your car is made for these modes.

That being said, you can always turn it off if your don't like it.
my starter died at like 60k miles. I was using the stop/start button thinking it was beneficial. the service advisor at the dealership that changed my starter also thinks the eco mode is what prematurely weared the starter down. I believe him. upon further research I found that this car does not have a dedicated starter for the eco mode start stop/ so it is indeed using the same starter. in comparison BMW for example has a separate starter soley for the eco stop/start/. while bmw stop/start doesn't wear down the starter, I can't imagine how the mercedes eco mode wouldn't. but either way the cons outweigh the pros for eco mode
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Starter failure is usually caused by a faulty ignition switch. It can also be caused by attempting to crank the engine when it is already running. Kick Back: This is caused by the engine rocking back while the pinion is engaged and the starter is trying to crank, but the pinion is misaligned with the flywheel. Faulty wiring, overheating, and defective solenoids can also be responsible. There has not been one technical article or verified instance of starter failure due to ECO mode.

Your dealer was simply guessing. Only a complete tear down can tell you the cause. MB starter mb starters are designed specifically for the start/stop system. Any trained or competent engineer or technician will confirm the fact that this is an urban legend. There are literally tons of technical articles on this. Just google it. There is no way all the car manufacturers would be going this root if there was fear of engine or starter failure. If you obsess about it, simple solution: don't use it.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ixposeu
So do you think the starter is going bad too ?
Oh no. But because of the constant starting and stopping, it will wear down your starter in the long run but definitely your battery will go out first. I believe you should just make it a habit like I did to turn it off every time you start the car. But congrats on the new whip..It's a beast right?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Cls 63 amg
Oh it’s a BEAST for sure, keeping traction is a mission. Have p zeros on right now but thinking on switching them to some Michelin pilot sports . What setup do you have?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:55 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Eco is always the first button I press...........unless it's winter, then it's the heated seat
TooManyIDs (03-12-2021)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
There is ways to have it be off when the car starts and turned on whenever you like.
Some ebay options

and these guys
https://www.mbhouse.ca/ (Canada)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:41 AM

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Bro..I had a post on this...this will definitely answer your question. ECO mode doesn't do crap to save you gas, it will kill your battery and your starter eventually. Always make it a habit to turn it off every time you start the car. Go here https://mbworld.org/forums/w218/7311...-cls63amg.html
+1

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Eco is always the first button I press...........unless it's winter, then it's the heated seat

Since I got this car... turn the knob to S right after I start it up. How much gas can it possibly save? And, who buys a 5.5L Biturbo to save gas?
The following 2 users liked this post by Rehabguy:
hyperion667 (02-26-2019), TooManyIDs (03-12-2021)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know you can use ECO mode without activating start/stop. On long distance travels it does save quite a bit of gas...and $$. Start/stop will give you a little more MPG, but if you subscribe to the urban legends you can have it off. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ixposeu
Oh it’s a BEAST for sure, keeping traction is a mission. Have p zeros on right now but thinking on switching them to some Michelin pilot sports . What setup do you have?
I have some regular all seasons. I think I'll also get some Michelin sports during the summer!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM

2012 CLS 63
eco mode for our car (rustybear from your bio your car may be newer and possibly different? not sure) but for our cars eco mode is literally comfort mode with the addition of start/stop

like you said the starter is built to withstand the eco mode, so its probably a beefier starter, but that does not mean that start/stop does not wear it down. makes no sense. why would they make any adjustments to the starter if it didnt? perhaps it can handle eco mode better and longer than a traditional starter, but im sure it does wear it down more than not using it at all.

another thing, the eco stop start mode is a gimmick that was literally introduced to get around emissions regulations and if those regulations exist i guarantee they would not include it at all. at the end of the day its up to you to use it or not but it definitely hurts more than it helps. real world tests have shown that it saves little to no mpg at all.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgboy916
eco mode for our car (rustybear from your bio your car may be newer and possibly different? not sure) but for our cars eco mode is literally comfort mode with the addition of start/stop
l.
On my 2019, Eco mode also consists of adjusting the shift points as well as activating the start/stop mode.

Provide me with one link of a qualified mechanic or engineer who says start/stop is bad for the starter or engine. There are literally hundreds that say the opposite.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 PM

2012 CLS 63
On my 2019, Eco mode also consists of adjusting the shift points as well as activating the start/stop mode.

Provide me with one link of a qualified mechanic or engineer who says start/stop is bad for the starter or engine. There are literally hundreds that say the opposite.
perhaps not bad for the starter but definitely some unnecessary wear and tear with not much in exchange in my opinion as far as the link I haven’t done much searching maybe I’ll look around to see what other people’s consensus is but let’s be clear I’m not saying eco mode on any car is bad but specifically the start/stop
Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 AM

Bruhh, You see what I was saying? When I bought my car, my starter was already weak, but I had always maintained driving the car with ECO mode off. I gave my uncle my car to use for one night and forgot to tell him to always drive with it off..He drove it all night and the next day when I went to church, my car wouldn't start. I checked he battery and it was full. My starter died !! Now I have to tow my car to a mechanic to get it fixed. Further proof that ECO mode wears out starters! I went to repairpal, where there are certified experts mechanics and they clearly say "Vehicles that start and stop frequently, such as newer cars with automatic engine start-stop functionality, are at a higher risk of premature failure. " So there you go

https://repairpal.com/estimator/star...placement-cost
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 AM

2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Bruhh, You see what I was saying? When I bought my car, my starter was already weak, but I had always maintained driving the car with ECO mode off. I gave my uncle my car to use for one night and forgot to tell him to always drive with it off..He drove it all night and the next day when I went to church, my car wouldn't start. I checked he battery and it was full. My starter died !! Now I have to tow my car to a mechanic to get it fixed. Further proof that ECO mode wears out starters! I went to repairpal, where there are certified experts mechanics and they clearly say "Vehicles that start and stop frequently, such as newer cars with automatic engine start-stop functionality, are at a higher risk of premature failure. " So there you go

https://repairpal.com/estimator/star...placement-cost
eco stop start on our cars does more harm than good and saves almost no gas to be worth it and was only introduced because of emissions regulattions

rustybear on the other hand has a 2019 E class, and according to my brief research, the 2019 eco mode is way different from ours, the eco mode actually changes shift points and what not to save more gas, and the stop/start function is a lot more seamless and unnoticeable than ours. Im sure his version of eco mode is probably useful but ours definitely is not. It makes sense why he would feel this way because Im sure mercedes realized the issue and fixed it for newer models
Old 02-18-2021, 11:05 AM

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
I managed to disable this thing on my wife's x218! Vediamo -> coding -> bordnetz_stopp_start_relais - set to "last mode" and problem is gone! It now remembers the last setting after you turn the ignition off. If you disable - it will remain off until you turn it back on! Damn I am happy I learnt something new finally!
Old 03-11-2021, 05:19 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

Old 03-12-2021, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by midcityeng
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

This is legitimately awesome.
midcityeng (03-12-2021)