C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Air Suspension - Air Bags Empty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CLS63
Air Suspension - Air Bags Empty?

Just picked up a 2012 CLS63 with 20,000 miles. After the car sits for just a few hours all the air is gone and the backend sinks. I would assume this should stay inflated at least a day or more. Called the previous owner and he claimed thats how its always been. Anyone confirm the air loss is normal?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Doesnt sound normal. For mine to bag it takes 2-3 days to fully drop.

I would check for leaks at the dealer. Are you in warranty still? Miles yes but the year is why im asking
Old 02-25-2019, 05:19 PM

CLS63
Thanks for response, I kinda of figured it should hold the air for at least a day or more, thanks for that. Just missed the warranty. Kinda of crazy its happening with miles this low.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mjohn50n
Thanks for response, I kinda of figured it should hold the air for at least a day or more, thanks for that. Just missed the warranty. Kinda of crazy its happening with miles this low.
I agree it has extremely low miles for issues.

Good thing is the AMG only has rear air vs us 550's have all 4 air smh
Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 282 Likes on 220 Posts
E63S
Just picked up a 2012 CLS63 with 20,000 miles. After the car sits for just a few hours all the air is gone and the backend sinks. I would assume this should stay inflated at least a day or more. Called the previous owner and he claimed thats how its always been. Anyone confirm the air loss is normal?
This is not normal. My 2014 E63 does not sink at all after being parked for a whole 7 days. Sounds like you have a leak in one or both air springs. Luckily, Arnotts ARE NOT too pricey... https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...dustries-a2791. You wanna take care of this before you have to replace the air pump too.
Good luck with fixing this issue. And, as for how crazy it is for low miles AMGs to break down... mine has asked me for a control arm (and many other members reported the same at under 30K) and just repaired headlamp issue last week (control modules burning out).
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
This is not normal. My 2014 E63 does not sink at all after being parked for a whole 7 days. Sounds like you have a leak in one or both air springs. Luckily, Arnotts ARE NOT too pricey... https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...dustries-a2791. You wanna take care of this before you have to replace the air pump too.
Good luck with fixing this issue. And, as for how crazy it is for low miles AMGs to break down... mine has asked me for a control arm (and many other members reported the same at under 30K) and just repaired headlamp issue last week (control modules burning out).
Thanks for that! going to pull the wheels off today and see if I cant find where the leak is coming from. I find it hard to believe that both sides would be bad. It lowers evenly on both sides.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
Yea not normal my 2013 will sit for 1-2 weeks in freezing Chicago winters and not lose any air I also have way more miles than you. One thing I've noticed over time about AMG's is the less they are driven the more small issues like this arise especially with plastics, hoses, and gaskets. Had a similar issue with the bags on my E55 from not driving the car.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
E550
I just had my 2013 in for warranty service for the same issue. it is not normal and in my case it was a leak in the compressor. Mine is CPO and it was all replace under warranty. According to the service adviser the car should never drop when parked.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Juice1979
I just had my 2013 in for warranty service for the same issue. it is not normal and in my case it was a leak in the compressor. Mine is CPO and it was all replace under warranty. According to the service adviser the car should never drop when parked.
I have to find out if the CPO warranty is still good, the seller said it may still have time left on it.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:26 AM

CLS63
Brought the car to the dealer on Friday, apparently this is normal.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Brought the car to the dealer on Friday, apparently this is normal.
5 people on this thread have AMG's that do NOT droop. I don't wanna say that I know better than the dealer, but, I'd advise you visit a different dealer... that is NOT normal. How much is it dropping? Is it to the point where the tire is tucked in under the fender? If so... NOT normal.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:35 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
5 people on this thread have AMG's that do NOT droop. I don't wanna say that I know better than the dealer, but, I'd advise you visit a different dealer... that is NOT normal. How much is it dropping? Is it to the point where the tire is tucked in under the fender? If so... NOT normal.
This is actually the second dealer it's been to. The previous owner brought it into the dealer in SC and than I brought it in to a local dealer here in Mi. I know they didn't check for leaks, they used the dealer scan tool. Mercedes says that it can drop normally, I think tey said 15mm in a length of time. IM not saying the dealer is right, but this is number 2.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
This is actually the second dealer it's been to. The previous owner brought it into the dealer in SC and than I brought it in to a local dealer here in Mi. I know they didn't check for leaks, they used the dealer scan tool. Mercedes says that it can drop normally, I think tey said 15mm in a length of time. IM not saying the dealer is right, but this is number 2.
Just 15mm? That's only .6"! Compared to stock ride height, that's an improvement IMO! You don't see any lights come on the dash, do you? I don't know what else to tell ya... I have a '14 E63S. 30K on the clock. When it was stock ride height... it never drooped. Now, the car is lowered on KW HAS... it doesn't droop. I only use my car on the weekends.... sits all week in the garage. No changes in ride height. You took it to one dealer. Previous owner SAYS he took it to a dealer. If I were you, I'd take it to a second one myself. Get a first hand second opinion... specially if you still have CPO left.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
I have the same car as you, a lot of people do and this is NOT normal.

let me clarify, this is normal, a common problem

but that does not mean there isn't a problem, its just a commonly occuring problem. your air springs are most likely leaking. I've had this problem and changing the airsprings solved it completely. Your car is not supposed to drop after a few hours - 1 day. maybe a few days is normal but a few hours is not. That being said, it does drop a BIT after airing out from comfort mode but if your rear end is bottoming out or even close you definitely have a problem.

Ive stated this before, I have a good friend who was a head service advisor at MB for a long time and even HE says not to trust dealerships or what they tell you. A lot of the times they don't know what theyre talking about OR are straight up lying to you. Do your own research. a lot of people have and still own these cars they will tell you the same thing. Take it from the owners not some fools that have never even owned the car and are most likely not wanting to do the work to fix it in the first place, especially if you have a warranty.

ALSO simply scanning for codes does nothing at all. if your air-spring is leaking one one of these cars its not gonna show you a code its foolish for the dealer to even lead you to believe this. a Simple code scan and then tell them "well I dont see anything wrong" is a sign of a lazy tech not even trying to get to the bottom of the problem.
The following users liked this post:
FirstCLS550 (04-28-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by amgboy916
I have the same car as you, a lot of people do and this is NOT normal.

let me clarify, this is normal, a common problem

but that does not mean there isn't a problem, its just a commonly occuring problem. your air springs are most likely leaking. I've had this problem and changing the airsprings solved it completely. Your car is not supposed to drop after a few hours - 1 day. maybe a few days is normal but a few hours is not. That being said, it does drop a BIT after airing out from comfort mode but if your rear end is bottoming out or even close you definitely have a problem.

Ive stated this before, I have a good friend who was a head service advisor at MB for a long time and even HE says not to trust dealerships or what they tell you. A lot of the times they don't know what theyre talking about OR are straight up lying to you. Do your own research. a lot of people have and still own these cars they will tell you the same thing. Take it from the owners not some fools that have never even owned the car and are most likely not wanting to do the work to fix it in the first place, especially if you have a warranty.

ALSO simply scanning for codes does nothing at all. if your air-spring is leaking one one of these cars its not gonna show you a code its foolish for the dealer to even lead you to believe this. a Simple code scan and then tell them "well I dont see anything wrong" is a sign of a lazy tech not even trying to get to the bottom of the problem.
I ordered new air springs, Ill install them as soon as they arrive. Thank you everyone for your input.
The following users liked this post:
amgboy916 (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
I ordered new air springs, Ill install them as soon as they arrive. Thank you everyone for your input.
Hope you bought from FCP Euro. LIFETIME warranty! Good luck! Update after the install!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
Interested to see if this helps. Mine dips slightly, but rises upward, promptly upon start up. I always thought it was normal as well. Been that way since I bought it new as far as I know.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 PM

CLS63
Reading over the paperwork form the dealer, normal drop overnight is up to 15mm. Anything more and you have a leak. Bringing car back into the dealer seeing I already paid for them to check, Ill let them tell me exactly whats leaking then go off and get it fixed elsewhere, unless its a quick fix.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 PM

CLS63
I brought the car back, this time they actually checked for leaks, and nothing.... Im beside myself.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 cls63 AMG
Did you end up installing them? Did it fix the issue? I’m curious as I have the same issue, with both sides dropping after a few hours (more so on the rear left).
Old 03-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
I brought the car back, this time they actually checked for leaks, and nothing.... Im beside myself.
is your car dropping a lot? a little bit of settling is normal but if your car is bottoming out like mine was then it is not.

My car would bottom out after sitting for a few hours and when I start the car it would air up just fine but there was definitely a leak. the leak could be the springs or the compressor. for me it was the air springs
Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by Vancan
Did you end up installing them? Did it fix the issue? I’m curious as I have the same issue, with both sides dropping after a few hours (more so on the rear left).
I haven't yet. I was trying to hold off hoping the mechanics would find the leak, I didn't want to drop the 400.00 for a new set of air springs and that not be the issue. As of now I'm convinced its the the Air Springs. My issue is the exactly same, one side drops a bit more than the other. Mine will slowly drop, it takes a little while before the car will start lowering, maybe an hour and by say morning the car is very low, within 2 says of sitting I ll get the error message to wait while the car raises. Probably change them out next weekend and Ill update here.

Originally Posted by amgboy916
is your car dropping a lot? a little bit of settling is normal but if your car is bottoming out like mine was then it is not.

My car would bottom out after sitting for a few hours and when I start the car it would air up just fine but there was definitely a leak. the leak could be the springs or the compressor. for me it was the air springs
overnight it will look like a lowrider in the morning. I know this is not normal, going to try new air springs.