C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Looking at 2012 CLS 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS 63
Looking at 2012 CLS 63

I just totaled my 2015 Mustang GT. I have owned 3 Mustangs over the past decade. I like them because they are a good bang for the $! I drive about 20k miles a year so I depreciate my DD fairly fast which is why I tend to buy cheaper cars although I can afford a little more. I had owned 2 Mercedes in the past which was an E350 and E500 that I really liked for what they were, my wife's DD. I have always admired CL class Mercedes but never considered them due to the above. I am at an age that driving a Mustang looks like the total mid age crisis douche that I don't want to be grouped into. But a brand new Mustang GT would be $35k and 0% for 6y. I found a CLS 63 AMG locally with 20k miles for $45k. So, it will be an extra $10k in purchase price, plus an extra $5k over the loan life in interest. Then if I want an after market warranty the used Mercedes dealer quoted around $1500/yr. So, over 5 years it looks like it will cost at least another $22k. I can justify the higher end car for the extra $15k, but getting past that it is a 8 year old car without warranty makes me hesitate. I have read that maintenance and repairs are very costly. There is also a 2014 locally with more miles, 37k, for $50k but it is 4matic and is MCPO.

I typically work on my Mustangs myself for minor repairs and all maintenance. I wouldn't consider doing that with the Benz. What can I realistically expect this car to cost me over the next 5 years, 100k miles given the current age and mileage. I know this is all theoretical, but hopefully I can get an educated estimate using first hand experiences here. TIA for any input!

Last edited by LandToSea; 05-16-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CLS63
Im selling my 2012 with 23,000.00 miles. Diamond White / Black interior.
Fully Loaded - Everything except ceramic brakes, and night vision.
Prestine, top 1% easy of any cls63 on the market or sitting in someones driveway

52,900.00 OBO

Has dealer installed Renntech tune 15 hp/30tq more than currently offered. 690hp/780tq
Vossen CV4 new poweder coated black
New Hankook tires
Carbon Ceramic Hawk Brake pads just installed no more brake dust.
K&W H.A.S. coil overs
preventative maintenance oil pressure sensors replaced.
Android 10.25 screen update
New Battery - original just kicked the bucket
K&N air filters - new
New Air bags rear. originals had small holes from sitting so long.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
Originally Posted by LandToSea
I just totaled my 2015 Mustang GT. I have owned 3 Mustangs over the past decade. I like them because they are a good bang for the $! I drive about 20k miles a year so I depreciate my DD fairly fast which is why I tend to buy cheaper cars although I can afford a little more. I had owned 2 Mercedes in the past which was an E350 and E500 that I really liked for what they were, my wife's DD. I have always admired CL class Mercedes but never considered them due to the above. I am at an age that driving a Mustang looks like the total mid age crisis douche that I don't want to be grouped into. But a brand new Mustang GT would be $35k and 0% for 6y. I found a CLS 63 AMG locally with 20k miles for $45k. So, it will be an extra $10k in purchase price, plus an extra $5k over the loan life in interest. Then if I want an after market warranty the used Mercedes dealer quoted around $1500/yr. So, over 5 years it looks like it will cost at least another $22k. I can justify the higher end car for the extra $15k, but getting past that it is a 8 year old car without warranty makes me hesitate. I have read that maintenance and repairs are very costly. There is also a 2014 locally with more miles, 37k, for $50k but it is 4matic and is MCPO.

I typically work on my Mustangs myself for minor repairs and all maintenance. I wouldn't consider doing that with the Benz. What can I realistically expect this car to cost me over the next 5 years, 100k miles given the current age and mileage. I know this is all theoretical, but hopefully I can get an educated estimate using first hand experiences here. TIA for any input!
Bro..Coming from someone who owns a cls63, I can tell you it's an amazing experience and well worth the bang for your buck when it comes to luxury and performance. All I can say is that if you take care of the car, you will spend very minimally on maintenance ( ie around $2000 - $3000 a year, if that). Many people on this forum have only done an oil change and change tires in one year. I believe warranties are rip offs because AMG cars are well built and if you take care of the car nothing major will happen. Not to mention you will enjoy the **** out of your car better than you will with a mustang..I guarantee it.
I would suggest to get @mjohn50n cls because of the low miles and the upgrades (including tune). There is not much difference between a 2012 and 2014 to justify the difference in price. Don't worry about the age of the car bro. AMG cars are epic! I would cop me a 2006 cls63amg if I could. If I were you, I would go for the best bang for my buck, but I would recommend the 2012 cls63amg (don't buy the warranty but keep that money in your bank for maintenance).
The following users liked this post:
LandToSea (05-30-2019)