C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS55--small questions that my dealer couldn't answer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55--small questions that my dealer couldn't answer

Hello, I've had my CLS 55 for about two months and I have several small problems with the electronics that my dealer could not answer. I thought that some other CLS or E class owner might have the answers. Thanks for any help.

1) On the navigation system, I cannot seem to get the specific destination street address to be retained. So, if I enter 123 Main St, it gives me a range of 100-199. I've never seen this behavior with a modern navigation system. Does anyone know why it does this?

2) Even though my right seat is set to dynamic "on" by default, it never turns on when someone is sitting in that seat. It has to be manually engaged with the button on the seat. The Driver seat does turn on with Dynamic by default.

3) When changing the radio station from the steering wheel buttons, it just moves up 0.1 frequency at a time. Is there a way to move through my preset stations?

4) Has anyone determined if a better SIRIUS antenna is on the way from MBZ? My dealer does not seem willing to install an aftermarket antenna in an alternate location.

5) Does anyone have an auxilary fuel tank available for this car? I have to refuel all the time. (Just kidding on this one).

thanks for any help, gmbz99
Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 AM

too many to list
Originally Posted by gmbz99
Hello, I've had my CLS 55 for about two months and I have several small problems with the electronics that my dealer could not answer. I thought that some other CLS or E class owner might have the answers. Thanks for any help.

1) On the navigation system, I cannot seem to get the specific destination street address to be retained. So, if I enter 123 Main St, it gives me a range of 100-199. I've never seen this behavior with a modern navigation system. Does anyone know why it does this?

2) Even though my right seat is set to dynamic "on" by default, it never turns on when someone is sitting in that seat. It has to be manually engaged with the button on the seat. The Driver seat does turn on with Dynamic by default.

3) When changing the radio station from the steering wheel buttons, it just moves up 0.1 frequency at a time. Is there a way to move through my preset stations?

4) Has anyone determined if a better SIRIUS antenna is on the way from MBZ? My dealer does not seem willing to install an aftermarket antenna in an alternate location.

5) Does anyone have an auxilary fuel tank available for this car? I have to refuel all the time. (Just kidding on this one).

thanks for any help, gmbz99

ANSWERS:

1) In my knowledge of Mercedes Benz Navigations systems, I have seen no way to enter an exact address, however, it is usually within a block. And, you need to match the address if it is odd or even. Usually not a problem.

2)I am sure if you talk to a tech, then can program this for you. If the driver's seat does it, there's no reason the passenger seat can't.

3)You can change from presets. You may have to go into settings (read your manual) or ask the technician. Don't settle for talking to a service advisor.

4)Do a search for this. Other users have installed it on their rear parcel shelf, where it is unnoticed to the exterior.

5)Although usually impossible, keep your foot off the throttle and don't accelerate and decelerate quickly. Keep a steady pass on the highway, I've seen MPG ratings as high as 21-22 mpg on 20 mile highway runs in my 2005 E55. If your driving around the city, this is impossible.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
IF the CLS COMAND is anything like the E, you can not make it switch to preset to preset. Impossible.. just a flaw in the system. I sincerely hope they fixed that rediculously simple problem by now. But he is right, there should be a setting that you change. For the US market it is dissabled as an option. Even enabled thru star diagnosis, it still didnt work for me.

the DD seats dont turn on for the passenger so you dont have the seat moving all around with no one in it. just have to tap the button as they get in. just lame that you have to reach around for it for them. should be closer to the driver.

No way to fix the navi - its not the best.

There are several options to get an antenna, try different dealers or aftermarket.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
My dealer installed the antenna under the hood vent where the windshield washers are located. It works better there than in the truck under the hat rack, where they installed it on my wife's E55.

As said before, there are aftermarket companies that will install a smaller antenna in a couple of different locations. I know that my guy, Randall at Autowerks Direct here in San Diego has done a number of them.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
Originally Posted by Brav
IF the CLS COMAND is anything like the E, you can not make it switch to preset to preset. Impossible.. just a flaw in the system. I sincerely hope they fixed that rediculously simple problem by now. But he is right, there should be a setting that you change. For the US market it is dissabled as an option. Even enabled thru star diagnosis, it still didnt work for me.
Originally Posted by Hussain
3)You can change from presets. You may have to go into settings (read your manual) or ask the technician. Don't settle for talking to a service advisor.
Ok, we need a tiebreaker here. One person says you can and the other says you cant change presets from the wheel.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Ok, we need a tiebreaker here. One person says you can and the other says you cant change presets from the wheel.
If you do a search you can find a hundred threads on this.

The real answer is closer to what Brav posted. The MOST specification (which Mercedes does not have control over, as they did with D2B; it's a "standard") does not have the command set to scan the tuner by presets.

With NTG2 radios (which are in C-class/CLK-class), it might be possible in the future because no MOST transport is necessary.

(The other questions can also be answered by a search: Yes a new antenna is coming from Mercedes; the address range is entered in the navigation rather than a specific address because specific addresses are just a "guess" and are often wrong in the map data; and so on.)

-s-
Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by gmbz99
This is even worse than before! The 04s at least go to a station with only the keypad going to the presets.