C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Looked into moving into a CLS55 today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Stiggs
if you think the E is taking a hit you should see my 2003 CLK55. I bought this car new in June 2003 for $72K. When I wanted to trade it in a couple of months ago it had 20K miles and was (and still is) in mint condition. I baby my cars, but then again who here doesn't. Ok, the point is...they would only give me $38K for my car trade in. I was sooooo pissed. Now I am trying to sell it privately for $45K. My car lost $34K in over two years. Thats just sad. But no one ever said this was an investment. I just didn't think I would lose so much on it. Dealerships suck. The worst part is I always have it serviced there, so they know what kind of shape its in. I even had another salesman say "thats a nice CLK, I would love to sell that car here." yeah right....for maybe $12K profit you dirty scumbags.
All so true. I ain't selling my car back to the dealer. I will keep it for 3-4 years if possible. Despite our MB warranty is 2 years, I am preparing a big budget to keep my car in best shape as I could. I hate to be seeing someone driving a 24 mths AMG for half of what I have paid if I can help.
I probably don't have the big upgrade temptation issue as CLS55 is priced double of a C55 mainly due to huge our local dealer markup on topend models and car sale tax is exponential. So that's beyond what I think I want to pay.
I will probably be tempted if there were a C63 W204 2-door with all those great S-class technology goes with it. e.g night vision.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Improviz
Anyway, I think we agree; we were just on different trains of thought!
Yes, I think that was the case..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I don't get it. The E55 is a fabulous car and there is no way that I'd trade one for a CLS. The two CLSs I drove were not worth the money to me. The E55 was more comfortable and has usable back seat. If you're tired of tking the hit, just wait for a used CLS. Believe me, they'll be be available soon.

For the money, I'd buy a CL (or keep the E55). It's a superior car better car and you can probably pick one up cheap. Besides, you can actually fit adults in the back seat.

New isn't always better.
Wildcat,

You make a good arguement, but one of the top reasons I'm considering the change is because my situation has changed. I bought a QX56 after the E55 and really, I do not use the back seat in the E55 much anymore. At most, 1 person will sit back there when "the men" would like to head downtown, but for small groups you can't beat the 7 seat capacity of the QX.

In addition, after having my dealership pull a CLS55 next to my E55 - there was no comparison. The E55 is a fantastic looking car, but the CLS is just a different class. The E55 has to retain a bit of it's "practicality" because of the E-class it's based on whereas the CLS is not meant to be practical and can therefore really have a unique look to it that you just don't see.

The W211 E-class has a lot of examples on the road today. From E320s, to E3500s, wagons to sedans, 4matics, whatever, the W211 is a more commonplace car. With the US only seeing the 55 and 500 CLS, it's a more unique car that in spite of being popular will never have the sales figures the E-Class does because of the very fact it's not as practical.

You also mentioned the CL. The CL is also a more dated design as well and forgive my blasphemy about an AMG car but the shape is a bit out of my age bracket to be quite honest.

Bottom line - I no longer require a completely practical of a car and I think the CLS is a great way to make that transition from a practical car to just a "semi-practical" - the CLS offers less practicality but a lot more style.

Just my opinion, of course.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 12-05-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Marcus, I can't blame you. I picked the E because it blends in so well and is able to carry 4 adults of any height in comfort. If I wanted to be a bit more visible, the CLS55 would be the next logical choice.

Good luck. Those MTMs will look great on a CLS55
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I am also thinking about moving to a CLS. The main reason is the 030 package. I am quite interested in what it has to offer.