MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C219 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219-174/)
-   -   mounting AMG license plate frame (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/206570-mounting-amg-license-plate-frame.html)

scottmlew 08-20-2007 10:12 PM

mounting AMG license plate frame

When I bought my 55, the dealer gave me a nice AMG license plate frame. I was waiting to install it until I got our spiffy vanity plate in. Well, the plate just came in so I went to do the "30 second project" of installing the plate and the frame, but the bracket on the rear of the car doesn't accommodate the frame! The screws that the screw holes on the frame will fit are way too small to fit into the bracket on the car. Anyone know of a solution, or got a lead on where/how to get the right bracket to go on the car?

Jocampo 08-21-2007 09:36 AM

On my 55, i have a steel frame backing that screws into the rear trunklid. My amg frame n plate screws into that.

so we have

rear decklid--->steel frame backing--->license plate--->amg frame

I do recall the steel backing screws are narrower than the license plate screws. I think the backing also has some sort of protector so that you dont scratch the car by screwing into the rear trunklid. i can take a photo if necessary.

scottmlew 08-21-2007 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. The "backing" you have is what I was calling the bracket. It sounds like there are perhaps multiple brackets/backings and that you and I have different ones. Would you mind posting a picture of both your bracket/backing and your frame so I can compare with mine? I'd appreciate it a lot :)

Jocampo 08-22-2007 01:18 PM

Will do today when i get home. And make sure your bolts are the right ones. I had silver bolts but they were too large and the chrome cap didnt fit correctly over them. will post pics tonight.

Jocampo 08-22-2007 06:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here they are. Had to take the bike out of the garage.

The bolts for the frame are actually wider than the bolts for the plate.

hope this helps. The vin number is on the sticker on the bracket, dont understand why.

Just wondering , do the euro guys have a similar setup just wider to accomodate their plate?

-J

scottmlew 08-22-2007 09:46 PM

Thanks VERY much for posting. I don't think that your bracket looks like mine! But I'll need to verify when I get home from the trip I'm on (Saturday AM).

Did the screws you used to attach the plate to the bracket fit through those white washers that came with the plate frame? (the washers that the decorative caps fit over)

Thanks again!

Jocampo 08-23-2007 08:32 AM

the silver screws i got from the dealer are too large and the decorative cap doesnt fit right, so i had to experiment with different screws from the dealer. they tried to give me all different ones. it's best to roll up on the parts dept with all your hardware and they'll find the right screws for ya.

good luck

CLS55 V8K 09-01-2007 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info it was helpfull took my car to the dealer and i got the right screws finally!!!

Jocampo 09-02-2007 10:40 AM

cool! i know most people will attempt to just muscle the caps on but they'll just crack in the process or fall off around town.

Motor Heat 01-10-2013 01:02 PM

What part number is this license plate bracket?

Mrmendoza 07-02-2015 10:00 PM

is it aftermarket?

Kei2thehwy 01-30-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by scottmlew (Post 2377957)
Thanks for the reply. The "backing" you have is what I was calling the bracket. It sounds like there are perhaps multiple brackets/backings and that you and I have different ones. Would you mind posting a picture of both your bracket/backing and your frame so I can compare with mine? I'd appreciate it a lot :)

There are specific screws from MBZ for mounting plate/frame to trunk lid. I would start there. There's a "backing nut" behind the plastic rectangular "license/frame" mounting plate, in fact there are (4), and they are always getting dislodged when I change plates/stickers etc. Good luck!