Removed my resonator [Pics]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by TheDzadz
When i get my car back from the shop ill put a x-pipe, good enough?
The criticism will honestly work for the better D. Just be happy with her and make sure you don't lose any pressure that's needed, it helps.

ALi
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by Roupin
The resonator also balances the pressure between both sides of the exhaust. Congrats on messing up.

There is a "H" cross-over in the exhaust BEFORE the secondary catalysts, so the exhaust pulses are already balanced before they arrive at the resonator. The original poster didn't "mess up."

The stock resonator has an additional cross-over opening that is about 1.25' long and maybe 1/2" high. Since the resonator's primary purpose is resonance control (i.e., that droning sound between 1,700 and 2,000 rpm), my guess is that the additional crossover in the resonator is more related to sound quality than exhaust pulse tuning (again, since the "balancing" already occurred before the secondary cats).

There is no measurable performance difference between installing an X-pipe or straight pipes in replacement of the resonator; it's all about exhaust note. The X-pipe is a little more mellow, the straight pipes a little more raspy.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Best type of "Crossover" is by far channel piping IMO.

I'm surprised no one has done it yet for these cars. (At least I have yet to see it mentioned)

You'll get by far the best results and flow with a CP set up. Superior for balance and flow to an X or H crossover.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
Best type of "Crossover" is by far channel piping IMO.

I'm surprised no one has done it yet for these cars. (At least I have yet to see it mentioned)

You'll get by far the best results and flow with a CP set up. Superior for balance and flow to an X or H crossover.

My info on this please.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
Instead of an X or an H, it's just the 2 pipes side-by-side with a baffle between. I guess it's supposed to still diffuse some of the pulses but keep a high rate of exhaust flow. I dunno much beyond that. Hopefully pete does.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
Instead of an X or an H, it's just the 2 pipes side-by-side with a baffle between. I guess it's supposed to still diffuse some of the pulses but keep a high rate of exhaust flow. I dunno much beyond that. Hopefully pete does.
Yep that's pretty much it. Balances pressure, tames pulsing while allowing for maximum flow through (scavenging). Has a unique sound to it too. Most like it a lot.

Its a little more complicated to build than an X or H but time and again it proves to work best (with NA cars at least).