C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

I... can't sleep. CLS55 arriving in 30hrs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk55
You can burn your fluid black but you cant vapourise it away in a tranny so thats total bull. Looks like it wasnt filled to the correct level at the last repair which happens if the level is checked with the motor stopped instead of running. Only question now is whether lasting damage has resulted from running it low on lube.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
There is no way in Hell I would keep a car like this. I hope you have deep pockets because these cars are not cheap to fix if warranty does not cover it.

WALK AWAY man, walk away!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I have to say it. Not trying to be funny or insulting either.

The title of your thread was that you couldn't sleep until you got your CLS55. Ever since you bought it, it has been a non-stop story of drama, and you are definitely loosing sleep over these issues, I would. Especially on a transmission issue, one of the most expensive systems on the car.

XVert, as you said in that dream of yours you had a bad omen, interesting. I still hope this ends good for you, but right now the situation does not sound good.

Keep us posted, interesting about this transmission fluid burn and low levels stuff. What dealership is your car at?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by X-Vert

Edit:
Spoke to the technician again, he called me back after looking at the recods and told me that at 23K miles, some type of electrical connecting bushing for the tranny was replaced (not sure what bushing, he has a heavy southern accent so I couldn't really understand) because it was leaking, so maybe after that job was done, the tranmission wasn't properly filled, and then if there's less fluid than its supposed to be, it'll burn a little quicker. He assured me that they checked EVERYTHING and they did not find any leaks.

I seriously am not trying to bust your nuts here man. You have a lot of wise people on this thread trying to suggest a little bit of sense to this transaction. I am all about learning from your mistakes, but you have the option here to walk away and be done with this. The mistake was already made with not having a PPI done to begin with. It will be another set of mistakes if you didn't think to walk away.

So, if by chance this trans wasn't filled properly at 23K, then now, at what, 32 or 37K miles it starts to show signs of failure? I would be REALLY worried about these last 9-14K miles with it being ran so low if that was really the case.

Again man, I seriously not trying to bust your chops here, I am just some joe on the other end of the internet that has had a lot of experience in purchasing vehicles and I hate to see people get suckered into something. I know for some us, buying such a gorgeous vehicle is a emotional experience, a dream come true if you will, but we also need to think about these type of purchases with a clear head. Dealers PREY on people that are emotionally attached to the car, hence making it a much easier sale for them.

I'll continue to pray to the car Gods for you!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
First off the tranny is not "sealed". It has a breather vent. Also, trans fluid is to be measured at operating temperature, not cold.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
OMG as much as I appreciate everyones suggestions and opinions, I'd rather hear it from you guys than anyone else but I think I'm gunna stick with my gut feeling and go through with this. Honestly, whats the worst that can happen that will screw me out of more money? The car is covered till 100K miles, any issues, the dealer will have to deal with it.

I appreciate all the feedback and the look outs, but I'll accept being hard headed with this situation and wait till the car arrives.

Tomorrow the dealer will test drive the car, after I'll have them call me and record the entire conversation over the phone to assure the car runs perfectly fine, and if I get the car and it's not as described as they said it is over the phone, I'll send the car back to them and get my money back.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Sounds great man! Post some nice pics of her when you get it at least!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Dealer got the tire, drove the car for about 20 miles, I told them to drive it like they stole it and floor it a lot. Drives great they said, no problems. They also told me that the tranny was originally 2qts low, not ON 2qts, so there was still 6qts in the transmission left when the problem occurred, now it's filled to spec.

Car will be here on Friday.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 AM

2000 Honda S2000
You need to walk away from this car and find one that doesn't have problems. It sounds like this one has been completely abused.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
It's a beautiful car bro, and the posters in this thread are sharing a lot of wisdom with you. But if you decided already, I just hope it all works out in the end. The car is beautiful, and I myself wish to be able to afford one of these some day. Good luck, and I hope that this was the last of your problems!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:19 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
It's a beautiful car bro, and the posters in this thread are sharing a lot of wisdom with you. But if you decided already, I just hope it all works out in the end. The car is beautiful, and I myself wish to be able to afford one of these some day. Good luck, and I hope that this was the last of your problems!
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Sooooo... hear my luck.

Car was supposed to arrive on Friday, transport company calls me and tells me they wont make it till Saturday but will be there at noon, I said ok. Saturday comes, get a phone call from the driver he tells me he'll be here at 7PM, I said ok. 5PM comes, driver calls me again and get this... his transmission broke down 20 miles away from the New Jersey boarder and he's stuck. lol... great sign. So I take a 100 mile ride out to pick up my car otherwise I won't get it till Monday. On the way there we get stuck at a Toll Plaza before a small bridge, all lanes are closed traffic is dead stopped, we stood there for 20 minutes and I asked the person near us if this happens often, the driver said he's lived here 30 years and never saw anything like this, we soon find out that there was a serious accident on the bridge, again... my luck. 1hr later they redirect the traffic and we arrive at our destination, 100 miles away from NYC.

My car was already off the truck, I started it up, let it idle for a few minutes and took off. I put about 300 miles on the car tonight and it drives flawlessly, brakes work great and don't make a noise, all tires are practically brand new, transmission shifts perfectly and smooth... omfg I'm completely in love. Interior on the car was also in great condition, back seats look unused, in the rain this thing can hardly stay still.

My favorite feature inside the car by far is the dynamic seats, WOW... throw the pulse on, dynamic seats, full heat, and start going on twisties and you feel like you're in a sauna getting a full torso massage, it's amazing.

One thing I'm having a hard time with is the audio, I have MP3 cd's that have individual folders, but for some reasons I can't get to the folders, it just throws all the folders together and you have like 100+ tracks you have to skip through, wtf?

One more thing, the parking sensors sometimes work, sometimes don't, I'll have to get that checked out at the dealer. Another thing is the keyless remote lock on the driverside door doesn't work, I have to press the button on the rear door handle to lock/unlock the car, gotta get that looked at as well. Other than that... this car is pretty much flawless... so far.

It came with some ugly a$$ tint, I'm getting it removed first thing Monday and leave it fish bowled.

I'll post some pics soon, the color is gorgeous in person.

Last edited by Igor180; 11-01-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by X-Vert
Other than that... this car is pretty much flawless...

You should have taken our advice.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM

CLS55 - SL55 - RRS Supercharged
I would have kept the car too...glad to hear your enjoying it
Old 11-01-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Full Throttle

You should have taken our advice.
He got a good deal, and it seems the only issues are some wonky parktronic and some keyless go buttons. Still under warranty.

Let it go, he's got the car, he's happy.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
He got a good deal, and it seems the only issues are some wonky parktronic and some keyless go buttons. Still under warranty.

Let it go, he's got the car, he's happy.
He absolutely did not get a good deal, and the car still has issue that the dealer didn't disclose. but if he likes it i LOVE it!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
IMO iv'e seen better deals. But hey being a marketing major i must tell you that you cant debate good deals with people. It's all about the customer feeling good about his purchase and being able to afford it , a consumer will always justify a good deal in there own mind. Its a very touchy subject trust me spent 4 years in school learning it. none the less enjoy the ride.. post PICS...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Congrats enjoy your new ride.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Got more pics? Sounds like the car has many issues that seem to be covered up by the stealership. I'm in the process of buying a car so I will keep your story in mind and know to get all the tests done and not jump the gun especially with these cars. Last person to say this, WALK AWAY, seriously though enjoy your car and hope all works out well!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
XVert is going to ride this out guys.

Good to see you got your car, hope you can get those issues resolved, the car is under warranty, all I can say is I hope you have a smoother ownership of the CLS and not be in the shop all the time hence forth.