C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

My LOG: CLS55 - Constantly updated with content

Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by benz_addict
My passenger seat feels like if the side supports are always inflated. My car runs usually around 90-95°C. As for your headlights sounds like the ballast is on it's way out. It's a common problem on AMG cars.

BTW ask for your CM30 back!
Nah it's not the headlights, it's the headlamp control module, I think they're going to end up replacing it after not being able to fix/program it last time the car went in for service.

Originally Posted by griza
Any updates? How is the car running?
Ever since I got the car from the first service, when they replaced my pump and flushed the coolant, the car has been a whole different beast. The difference in power I had prior to the flush was like driving a 350 compared to a 550, stupid fast. It still scares me once in a while, absolute beast.

The car went back in service last Monday for:
  • Knocking noise from engine - bad pulley (far right side)
  • Gaskets on engine are leaking oil
  • Low beams still malfunction along with fog lights (goes on and off)
  • Noise(clicking & creaking) still coming from front left & right shock.
  • Both rear shocks deflate after car is parked for several hours.
  • Front seat controls (by the knee) completely stop working after long drives, lumbar on both sides would inflate before malfunction and once it stops working, nothing will deflate or turn on till the car is restarted. Lumbar would inflate on its own once in a while making it very uncomfortable to drive
  • Speaker in the dash is making popping noisee

After having my car serviced last time, these problems occurred right after I left the dealer, but were fine prior to service.
  • After Keyless-Go fix, drive window scrapes when going up or down, sounds like it gets caught on something inside the door, and the door panel rattles like there's a loose clip inside. - Knock on the driver door and passenger door for comparison.
  • Seat heater and cooler switches flash
  • Cruise control dial on cluster does not display, used to display prior to service. - Cruise control still works, but with no dial.

It's been a week and I'm driving a doodoo brown 2010 Chrysler 300c, fun for hopping curbs, I hate it though.. every time I think about my 55 and drive the 300c, I just want to drive it off the bridge.

On another note...

I replaced my brakes a few days prior to returning back to service.
Just found the memory stick w/ these pics back when I changed the brakes back in December.

Went with OEM parts, unfortunately didn't have time to order aftermarket brake pads. Can't wait to wear these outs so I can pick up some Akebono's

Out with the old...

In with the new.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Some random shots...

This is the Piano Black trim I painted back in November, re-doing it in this CF trim soon.

After the cold weather hit, my *** has been going to sleep after 2hrs... supposedly common problem with MB's, I've seen several 09/10 S-Classes that were slammed to the floor parked around my corner.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM

CLS500
huh??
It has been -20 degrees celius over here *sweden
Never seen this on any S or CLS with airtronic ....

must be a US-thing
Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
jesus man, it sounds like this car was really driven hard and put away wet.

Thats a LOT of problems.

What does your dealership have to say about all this?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Oliverk
jesus man, it sounds like this car was really driven hard and put away wet.

Thats a LOT of problems.

What does your dealership have to say about all this?
And this is just the beginning. Wait until the car is really driven. Way too many problems in such a short period of time. Scary
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
And... it's costing me $0 to fix it and replace everything that's broken with new stuff.

I have patience, so I don't mind.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Igor180
And... it's costing me $0 to fix it and replace everything that's broken with new stuff.

I have patience, so I don't mind.
I'd expect your warranty company's humor about the situation to be fairly short lived.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
and FYI that d-bag full throttle has been banned for being a poseur/liar and a complete bowel-movement receptacle
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Damn bro how can you be enjoying the car if its in the shop the whole time.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by RLx02
and FYI that d-bag full throttle has been banned for being a poseur/liar and a complete bowel-movement receptacle
Explains why it has been a bit quiet around here.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by Gondon
Damn bro how can you be enjoying the car if its in the shop the whole time.
I get enjoyment knowing that it's getting fixed and the same problem wont occur, I'm enjoying putting miles on someone elses car, and the times I DO have my car.... I enjoy it 10000x more.

BTW... my car has been in service since last Monday, I dropped in yesterday to swap loaner cars (300c flyingturd for a GLK), and spoke to my service advisor who didn't call me one, and told me he has no news for me but they are replacing about 90% of the electrical crap in my car... cool? I hope everything works fine after.

I hope my warranty doesn't drop me... :x

Last edited by Igor180; 01-22-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
dude.... your a glutton for punishment.
a lemon is a lemon is a lemon....no matter what they do you will always have problems with this beast. seen to too many times.
life is too short to f*&k around with that s*#t
IMO anyway
Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
I guess we'll really find out tomorrow when the car comes out of service (woohoo 22 days in service).
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Wow 22 days in service. My last car was a lemon. It was in the shop more than i have ever driven it. Hope you get everything fixed though. If this car doesnt work out will yu say its a lemon and get a new cls?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM

2007 CLS63 AMG 030; 1970 Ford Mustang Coupe
Man,

I've had my car a month, so this is tough to read. I've got to check out those extended warranties. Mine is up in 2011. I'm knocking on wood right now.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM

CLS550
Help! I'm sliding

I LOVE my CLS 550 but am sliding all over the place in the snow. Best tire reccommendations? Do I have to switch rims and all? Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM

CLS500
Originally Posted by Ruth G
I LOVE my CLS 550 but am sliding all over the place in the snow. Best tire reccommendations? Do I have to switch rims and all? Thanks
I run on Hakka without spikes in the snow.,. its kinda ok..
On my old audi I drove the Dunlop winter sport 3D, best winter-tires I ever had, these were also non-spike .. check them - highly recommend it..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+3D

These two also got good recommendation at tirerack, but I have no personal experiance of these:
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero

Rear-wheel + winter is fun but its a shame that you cant get all wheel drive on the CLS.. !

here is my winter-tires (18"):

Last edited by mikej_cls; 02-10-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: addin links
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
^kinda off topic guys...

Since I'm posting, I might as well update you guys...

Got the car back Monday, couldn't be any more heated than I am now. They didn't have my invoices ready and told me to come back on Tuesday to get the paper work and pay my deductible.

I drive off the lot, front shock is still creaking and making noise, window still scrapes something on the inside. Fine I thought... I'm not that pissed I'll mention the problem to them when I return to pick up my invoice, I happily drive the car after not seeing it for a month, got my 09/10 grille installed, coated the chrome pieces and amber side markers in black, and gave it a nice wash. I park the car by my friends house, we decide to take a ride 1/2 hour later to only find out my rear shock that was deflating before (that I addressed to the dealer) is huffing and puffing, pulsing like a heart raising my car up and down about an 1/8", like it's trying to breathe lol.

I park the car and drive it to the dealer in the morning holding my steering wheel from swerving like I was working out my forearm, and god forbid I let go of the steering wheel I woulda made an instant right.

Drop the car off, flip out to my service adviser asking him which retard serviced my car, he assured me he has tons of experience, when a tech I know from the same dealer told me the kid who was working on my car had no clue wtf he was doing, he goes on telling me that my car had a ton of problems when it came in, and I interrupt him to let him know that no one bothered to inspect my car when I came to the dealership with $5K in cash to buy my warranty, and they were quick to jump and sign the papers, so the fact that my car went into the dealer with "a ton of problems" should be the least of MY worries, besides the fact that several of the problems I brought my car in for was due to their "experienced" mechanic, and some minor problems that a normal auto shop could resolve (minus the electrical issue).

Yesterday was also a month after I dropped my car off, and out of the 10 problems I reported (3 of which was their fault), they replaced the pulley, both valve gaskets, and the fixed the cruise control dial along with the seat heater switches that they fuked up in the first place.

If I don't get my car fixed and out of the dealer by the end of this week, I'm calling the warranty company to let them know they just paid $11k for the repairs that were never made and file a complaint with BBB because they're straight dicking me around. Service adviser told me they'll try to get everything fixed the same day or try to find me a courtesy car by Wednesday (I'm only eligible for garbage enterprise rentals). I left without a loaner/courtesy car, and later on called to find out my car wasn't even touched. Came back to the dealer before they closed and asked my service adviser for a car, he didn't have any MB's so I took a POS Dodge Caliber till the morning (now), he told me he'd get me a AWD MB by morning time.... just in time for our 12-16" snow storm.

I cannot wait till this service case is closed, I'll give them another chance as long as the kids I know who's a tech there works on my car, he's been trying to keep me updated on whats going on with the car and giving me advice, but can't touch it unless it's assigned to him, which it will be next time and I know it'll be in good hands.

I hope I see it soon

PS.

The 09/10 grille looks soooo much better IMO, completely refines the entire front end. I believe I'm also one of the first to install the 09/10 grille since a few people claimed it doesn't fit (it doesn't but by bending the bottom clips the opposite direction it slides in fine). I'll post pics when I get the car back.

Last edited by Igor180; 02-10-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Not to get into your personal buisness but do you have a loan on the car? If so, you should make the dealership make the payments until it is fixed. How can they keep the car for upwards of a month and not fix anything? Sucks bro, sorry to hear about the nonsense. I would be going postal about now.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
I meant to post in hear a while back and lost track.

I respect you for being so up front and honest about ALL of your issues. Its not easy to open yourself up to the entire damn net, and have your issues chronicled so extensively.

I also appreciate the fact that you are giving a realistic viewpoint on what its like to purchase a car that is rough around the edges and get it going again. It at least gives perspective to anyone thinking of doing the same.

All the best with the project brother.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Igor180

PS.

The 09/10 grille looks soooo much better IMO, completely refines the entire front end. I believe I'm also one of the first to install the 09/10 grille since a few people claimed it doesn't fit (it doesn't but by bending the bottom clips the opposite direction it slides in fine). I'll post pics when I get the car back.
I don't think the bottom plastic part was meant to be bend...it is plastic and will eventually break off. Take some close picture of it when you get a chance.

I know you got a good deal for the car knowing that it already had problems in the first place...but is it still worth it going through all the trouble for almost 3 months to save about $5000 - $9000. Hope that kid can solve a few of the problems...I don't believe everything will be fix to normal again.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Why so much drama? have you give some thought in different dealership?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by griza
Not to get into your personal buisness but do you have a loan on the car? If so, you should make the dealership make the payments until it is fixed. How can they keep the car for upwards of a month and not fix anything? Sucks bro, sorry to hear about the nonsense. I would be going postal about now.
Car is paid for so no loan. Out of the 10 problems I reported, only 4 were fixed, and the only real issue with this car at the moment is the low beams not wanting to switch on when they're supposed to, or have a crazy delay, so they're blaming it on a prior electrical issue.

Originally Posted by D2FORGED
I meant to post in hear a while back and lost track.

I respect you for being so up front and honest about ALL of your issues. Its not easy to open yourself up to the entire damn net, and have your issues chronicled so extensively.

I also appreciate the fact that you are giving a realistic viewpoint on what its like to purchase a car that is rough around the edges and get it going again. It at least gives perspective to anyone thinking of doing the same.

All the best with the project brother.
Thanks, appreciate the kind words... surprisingly I'm still keeping my cool because I know in the end when everything is fixed, I'll finally get to enjoy the car in the nice weather, and not have to drive it around during the winter and have a loaner MB truck instead... I don't think it's as bad as I'm making it seem haha.

Originally Posted by apdesign
I don't think the bottom plastic part was meant to be bend...it is plastic and will eventually break off. Take some close picture of it when you get a chance.

I know you got a good deal for the car knowing that it already had problems in the first place...but is it still worth it going through all the trouble for almost 3 months to save about $5000 - $9000. Hope that kid can solve a few of the problems...I don't believe everything will be fix to normal again.
Honestly, it had a few small issues prior to taking delivery and they were all resolved (issues that never came back up even till this day). Only over time did I notice the headlights not working properly, the leaking gaskets, and the suspension creak and leak developed about a month into owning the car. So far, I've already taken care of a lot of things off the list of problems I initially had. Car drives great with no holding back, power is there when you need it, brakes work great, and it handles well too (well it did prior to the rear bag leak). All the problems I'm experiencing now is pretty much normal (minus the headlights), and it happens to all cars eventually, just with my luck it happened all at the same time.

I think I'm just making it seem a lot worse than it is with the list of problems.

I'm already far past the fact that I bought the CLS for a cheap price, and got stuck with a bunch of problems, at this point I'm more pissed at the dealership for wasting my time. I'm giving them one more chance with my tech, if that doesn't work out I'll gladly take it to a different dealer.

As for the grille, the clips on the grille are basically backwards, the bumpers on the 09+ must be a little different where the grille clips into. I just bent the inside of the tab outwards so it doesn't get away of the pin on the bumper, and the grille just sits there with the top 3 screws. I'll get pics when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
Why so much drama? have you give some thought in different dealership?
Yes, I have several friends who have a nice spot for me in 2 different dealerships who will take care of me, I'm giving my dealer another shot with the tech I know who I speak to on daily basis so this way he can keep me updated everyday on what's going on with the car.

I'm off to the dealer to swap out my garbage Dodge Caliber for a MB courtesy car.

More updates soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
By the way, since I can't edit the original post, I have this list posted on my own forum that I've been keeping updated.

Current List of Major & Minor Problems - as of 2.11.10 @ 71600 Miles
  • Valve cover gasket leak - RESOLVED, gaskets replaced.
  • Comfort access on the driver side door doesn't work sometimes - Warranty Issue - RESOLVED, driver side door handles were replaced.
  • The low beams will sometimes turn off and won't turn back on, I gotta flip the switch a dozen times before I get any response, sometimes one headlight would turn on, sometimes the other, and once in a while both, as long as I leave it on Auto all the time, there's no issues. - Warranty Issue - Semi Resolved, getting rechecked.
  • Dynamic Seats, they will stop working after a long drive, happened 3 times so far. Other than that, I feel like they react to slow, and sometimes the lumbar would take a while to deflate. - Warranty Issue - Doesn't occur at the moment - Stopped occurring
  • Rattles: Driver & Pass front doors, and pass front headrest. - RESOLVED the front door rattles myself, pass headrest still rattles.
  • Broken rear ash tray - Easy Fix
  • Chrome ring on front cup holders is broken - RESOLVED (NEW CUP HOLDER)
  • Pads and rotors need to be replaced - RESOLVED (New Pads & Rotors)
  • Windshield washer needs to be filled, and wipers replaced - RESOLVED
  • Remove tint and take apart rear self to clean glue off - DONE
  • Need's an alignment, steers to the right. -
  • Front left shock is making noise over bumps - Service adviser said will resolve at the next appointment.
  • Cracked passenger side fog light
  • After Warranty: Cruise Control indicator on cluster doesn't show - RESOLVED
  • After Warranty: Heat warmers/cooler switches blink when on - RESOLVED
  • After Warranty: Driver side window makes noise rolling down/up
  • Highway speeds the window seals leak air and make slight noise - me being picky, I'll end up getting new door/window seals and replace it myself since its ware and tare.
  • Tires need balance
Major Problems
  • SC would turn off after beasting on it - Replaced IC pump and HE, problem still persists, I think I just need a full coolant flush. - RESOLVED - dealer flushed the coolant, and replaced my MC30 pump with an OEM BOSCH... - works great.
  • Issue with the SC pulley, not the main one but the one that sits on the passenger side. - RESOLVED - Replaced with a new Pulley

Last edited by Igor180; 02-11-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Sovereign?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My LOG: CLS55 - Constantly updated with content