C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

My LOG: CLS55 - Constantly updated with content

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Granite Grey CLS55
My LOG: CLS55 - Constantly updated with content

So it's all compiled together, I want to make this log in case anyone wants to reference their mods/problems/helpful info to theirs.

This is my first personal car, but I have experience with taking things apart and putting them together since I was 11, worked on cars since I was 18, do aesthetic modifications for my customers for a living. Now 21, doing work on my own car.

I'll probably be talking to myself 90% of the time, but that's ok... this log is mainly for myself so I can keep everything organized and hopefully one day make an interesting log for others to read.

I'm not doing any work to the car till all the issues are resolved. I'd normally rip half this car apart and paint a lot of things, throw wheels on it, slam it, do the headlights inside out, and crazy interior, but I'm putting all that aside till all the problems, even the most simplest ones are fixed.

Current List of Major & Minor Problems
- as of 11.18.09 @ 69020 Miles
  • Valve cover gasket leak - Warranty Issue
  • Comfort access on the driver side door doesn't work sometimes - Warranty Issue
  • The low beams will sometimes turn off and won't turn back on, I gotta flip the switch a dozen times before I get any response, sometimes one headlight would turn on, sometimes the other, and once in a while both, as long as I leave it on Auto all the time, there's no issues. - Warranty Issue
  • Dynamic Seats, they will stop working after a long drive, happened 3 times so far. Other than that, I feel like they react to slow, and sometimes the lumbar would take a while to deflate. - Warranty Issue
  • Rattles: Driver & Pass front doors, and pass front headrest. - Warranty Issue
  • Broken rear ash tray - Easy Fix
  • Chrome ring on front cup holders is broken - Easy Fix
  • Pads and rotors need to be replaced - Should I replace with OEM or save up and get Evosport rotors?
  • Windshield washer needs to be filled, and wipers replaced - Easy Fix
  • Remove tint and take apart rear self to clean glue off - DONE
  • Need's an alignment, steers to the right.
Major Problems
  • SC would turn off after beasting on it - Replaced IC pump and HE, problem still persists, I think I just need a full coolant flush.
  • Issue with the SC pulley, not the main one but the one that sits on the passenger side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwlVXtdaoE

Oct. 12th - found the car on eBay
Oct. 13th - paid $33,000 for it
Oct. 17th - friend flew out to pick up the car from the dealer in Alabama, ended up driving 300 miles into Atlanta before the car would stall on every WOT. Left the car in the parking lot in ATL and flew back.
Oct. 19th - the car was picked up by the dealer and brought back for service. MB examined the problem and concluded that the transmission was low on fluid. Fluid was flushed, problem fixed.

- Everyone and their mother told me to jump out of the deal, I refused.

Oct. 31st - the car was delivered to me via a carrier, still had to drive 100 miles out of NYC to pick up the car because the truck who transported it had a transmission problem (ironic isn't it?). Car drove perfectly fine, no transmission issues, everything was perfect. Clock had 67,500 on it.

The following Monday

Nov. 3rd - Purchased extended warranty from Sovereign Mercedes. Paid $5030 for 36,000 Miles or 3 Years.
Nov. 4th - Had the stock tint removed, the shop left glue residue on the rear deck and window because it was hard to reach. Also realized that my IC pump is going because after beating on the car for a little bit, the SC turns off.

Nov. 6th - Had my first official photoshoot and my first meet with my G35 guys. (I own www.g35nyc.com)
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...an-bridge.html

Nov. 8th
- Went to a Nissan Meet in Jersey... had to fit in some how. lol

Nov. 12th-13th
- Took all the wood panels off including the rear to have it painted Piano Black. Wish I took pics, the car looked like it was robbed. Also took the rear shelf out to get rid of all the glue residue from the tint. Had to remove the rear seats and the center console, headrests were a major PITA, and so was the rear sunshade. Put everything back together...

Here are 2 pics of the final result, I'll get some nicer pictures later to show off it's true shine and the rear sliding doors.

Nov. 14th
- My Johnsson MC30 IC pump and LET HE (Heat Exchanger) arrived. Went to TTMotorsports to get it installed, ended up doing 90% of the work myself.

Forgot my memory stick at home so no pictures from the DSLR, just the camera phone.

The HE didn't actually fit right because it was made for an E55, so I had to do some minor modifications to the brackets to make it fit.

Thought this would solve my SC turning off issue but couldn't test it till the next day because it was raining.

Nov. 15th - Went on a Exotic Rally with about 250 exotics from the Tri-State area. SC turned off on me at the worst times, happened about 8 times. I'm assuming I need a full coolant flush.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/p...-3-2009-a.html

Nov. 16th
- While at the gas station getting drinks, I heard a cluttering noise coming from the engine bay. Opened up the hood and it was coming from the passenger side. Next morning after doing some evaluation, I came to a conclusion that a SC pulley is bad and needs replacing due to worn out bearings. Video can be found below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwlVXtdaoE

Last edited by Igor180; 11-18-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:22 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Reserved
Old 11-18-2009, 01:22 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Reserved...
Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 AM

CLS55 - SL55 - RRS Supercharged
Good thread
Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
This sounds like a flood car to me. You should have bailed on it. On top of that fact that you come across like you drive your car very very hard. I see bad things in your future.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
This sounds like a flood car to me. You should have bailed on it. On top of that fact that you come across like you drive your car very very hard. I see bad things in your future.
How do you come to a conclusion that it's a flood car AND I drive my car VERY VERY hard?! Are you mentally challenged or you're just filled with negative feelings and thoughts? Go drain your pessimism somewhere else. Out of all the people on this forum, you are the last person I want posting in my threads.

kthxbye.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by X-Vert
How do you come to a conclusion that it's a flood car AND I drive my car VERY VERY hard?! Are you mentally challenged or you're just filled with negative feelings and thoughts? Go drain your pessimism somewhere else. Out of all the people on this forum, you are the last person I want posting in my threads.

kthxbye.
Good luck with your ride it sounds awesome
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Good luck with your ride it sounds awesome
Thanks, now...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
nice the interior looks nice how did u dodge the chrome trim on the interior and basically u can paint it any colour ...

Nice pics too r u a photographer by profession...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 PM

04 G41
Congrats with the purchase, I know you've worked hard for it.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
Hello from brooklyn and good luck with the car
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Hey man that's a beautiful color! Don't listen to others because YOU love your ride that's all that matters! Welcome to the V8 Kompressor club, lol! Awesome thread *subscribed*

btw why did you get the tints removed? Just curious...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S 63
"Chrome ring on front cup holders is broken - Easy Fix"

I too want to know how you fixed this,.. I have chrome peeling off. Part number?

Thanks!!

Don
Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Nice, let the modding begin
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 AM

Pinto
I had same problem on my s55..

Replace the two supercharged pulley...and the belt..

not the supercharged pulley itself though..
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 AM

Pinto

IS HIS CAR, HE DRIVE HOW HE LIKES..

HE LOVED THE COLOR AND THE FEATURE ON THIS CAR.. EVEN THOUGH IT HAD ISSUED.. BUT IT WAS RESOLVED..

I THINK I ALSO SEE BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO YOUR CLS IN YOUR FUTURES..
Old 11-20-2009, 02:25 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by benz_addict
Hey man that's a beautiful color! Don't listen to others because YOU love your ride that's all that matters! Welcome to the V8 Kompressor club, lol! Awesome thread *subscribed*

btw why did you get the tints removed? Just curious...
Hey well... I don't like to think that way "It's my car, don't listen to others". I post online not only for positive opinions, but for negative ones too (to a certain extent). I don't like to think I live in a perfect world. I post to make sure I'm on the right track, and take everyone's criticism seriously. Few things about Full Throttle is hes completely arrogant, ignorant, and has nothing positive to contribute to anyone on this forum. I've heard the same remarks from his dozen of times and I don't need to hear them again. I know EXACTLY what my car has been through and I don't need anyone pulling shyt out of their *** to make things worse even AFTER I took ownership of the car, another story when it was prior... which I completely understand since he wasn't the only one to tell me not to get it, but what's done is done and now I need to look at the brighter side.

I took the tints off because 1, they were faded and turned purple (refer to the first pictures), 2 I love the look of stock windows, especially when it rains and they turn super blue. All my friends had/have tinted windows... I like to keep it fishbowl'd out, especially after I do work on the interior.

Originally Posted by Cyberous
"Chrome ring on front cup holders is broken - Easy Fix"

I too want to know how you fixed this,.. I have chrome peeling off. Part number?

Thanks!!

Don
Don, I'll post the part numbers, the prices, and show you how easy it is to replace it when I order it, probably sometime next week.

Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
I had same problem on my s55..

Replace the two supercharged pulley...and the belt..

not the supercharged pulley itself though..
So you replaced the pulley I showed in the video that was shaking, and the main drive pulley on the bottom? Or were you referring to the pulley that has the tensioner on it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Great thread. I absolutely love this color.

Thanks for the detail and sharing the ups and downs , the problems and the solutions.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 AM

Pinto
Hey well... I don't like to think that way "It's my car, don't listen to others". I post online not only for positive opinions, but for negative ones too (to a certain extent). I don't like to think I live in a perfect world. I post to make sure I'm on the right track, and take everyone's criticism seriously. Few things about Full Throttle is hes completely arrogant, ignorant, and has nothing positive to contribute to anyone on this forum. I've heard the same remarks from his dozen of times and I don't need to hear them again. I know EXACTLY what my car has been through and I don't need anyone pulling shyt out of their *** to make things worse even AFTER I took ownership of the car, another story when it was prior... which I completely understand since he wasn't the only one to tell me not to get it, but what's done is done and now I need to look at the brighter side.

I took the tints off because 1, they were faded and turned purple (refer to the first pictures), 2 I love the look of stock windows, especially when it rains and they turn super blue. All my friends had/have tinted windows... I like to keep it fishbowl'd out, especially after I do work on the interior.

Don, I'll post the part numbers, the prices, and show you how easy it is to replace it when I order it, probably sometime next week.

So you replaced the pulley I showed in the video that was shaking, and the main drive pulley on the bottom? Or were you referring to the pulley that has the tensioner on it?

Thanks in advance.
the supercharged belt tensioner pulley..and the idle pulley..Not the main engine pulley nor the supercharged pulley itself...

the two i saw you wiggle and it have freeplays lol..

" Full Throttle" In my experience, people who constantly talking SH*t usually because deep down, they have very low self-worth.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
" Full Throttle" In my experience, people who constantly talking SH*t usually because deep down, they have very low self-worth.

Facts are often viewed as Sh*t talk to the ignorant and uninformed.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Facts are often viewed as Sh*t talk to the ignorant and uninformed.
Im a little confused as to why you care so much.

The guy bought a slightly roughed up car that may have a bit of a history. But if the guy likes it, he got the known issues resolved, and he's happy, then why do you care.

You can buy the car brand new from the dealer, he can buy the one he did, and I can buy a CPO. Thats why used cars exist.

You aren't going to change his mind, and he already owns the car.

Maybe the car will constantly break and he will learn a good lesson. maybe it will be fine and he'll get great enjoyment out of it. Either way, it has no effect on you, your car, or your life.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Im a little confused as to why you care so much.

The guy bought a slightly roughed up car that may have a bit of a history. But if the guy likes it, he got the known issues resolved, and he's happy, then why do you care.

You can buy the car brand new from the dealer, he can buy the one he did, and I can buy a CPO. Thats why used cars exist.

You aren't going to change his mind, and he already owns the car.

Maybe the car will constantly break and he will learn a good lesson. maybe it will be fine and he'll get great enjoyment out of it. Either way, it has no effect on you, your car, or your life.
Why do you care about my point of view? Use that same logic on yourself.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Why do you care about my point of view? Use that same logic on yourself.
Because this is a forum, and forums are made to express ones opinions, you on the other hand, express your opinions in the most negative way possible, thus why 99% of this forum thinks you're a...

Move on.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Because this is a forum, and forums are made to express ones opinions, you on the other hand, express your opinions in the most negative way possible, thus why 99% of this forum thinks you're a...

Move on.
Thats actually a picture of the dealer that sold you that flooded and wrecked CLS boy did they see you coming
Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser

Move on.
good post.

Also, the piano black interior looks really good as do the stock 19s. Good luck with the car, sure it'll work out just fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My LOG: CLS55 - Constantly updated with content