C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Warranty claim - DENIED! But with good news!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Thumbs up Warranty claim - DENIED! But with good news!

OK so I recently posted about my cars sagging rear drivers side, and after taking it to my local MB service center, I was told the problem was the rear left shock and that I would need a new one. The service manager ordered one and said it would be in the next day and that I could pick my car up sometime later that afternoon.

The next day came and at around 3pm I get a call... "Unfortunately, we're unable to perform the warranty repair on your CLS55 due to the fact that this car has been highly modified"... At first I was like, what are you talking about? I hope they didn't consider my front lip, rear roof spoiler and new grill crazy (warranty voiding) modifications. The service manager then goes on to tell me, the engine has an aftermarket over sized crank pulley and that the ECU has been flashed with an enhanced tune other than what the car came with from the manufacturer. In other words, it's making more power therefore they can not perform ANY warranty work on ANY components of the engine, drivetrain, brakes, or suspension.

At that point, most people would have been pretty pissed, but in all actuality I was quite happy! I took my car in for a bad rear shock, and instead got a pulley and ECU tune!!!!

I couldn't believe it! I had NO idea! In fact I have spent the past few weeks talking with various tuners and contemplating which route to take. I guess what I should do now is measure the pulley to see which size I have and then take my car to get dyno'ed to see what it's pushing.

So back to the sagging rear problem. I ended up buying the shock myself ($465 shop price), and had it on in about an hour (far quicker then the 3.5 hrs the dealer wanted to install it @ $125/hr). It was SUPER easy! Pulled the rear wheel off, got to the shock - one long bolt and nut on the bottom end, and one nut from the top post (access from inside the trunk, behind the left lining), routed its wiring harness up to the wheel well, and plugged it in. DONE - problem fixed...

Anyhow, thought some of you may get a kick out of this. Oh and out of curiosity, does anyone know the diameter of the OEM crank pulley or have any pictures of the stock one. I guess I still don't believe all this and want to double check it all out. What I did notice about the pulley that's on my car, is that it has drilled holes around its outer ring (pic attached). The only other pulley I could find that looks close to it would be the ASP unit. Is that what I have or is the dealer pulling my leg???
Attached Thumbnails Warranty claim - DENIED! But with good news!-pulley.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prius; 2010 E350 Coupe P2, Appearance Package
So my thoughts are what the hell does an ECU and undersized pulley have to do with a rear shock failure? Take that up with MBZ customer relations. Thats like saying you painted the car a different color and that voided the transmission warranty. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Cairo94507
So my thoughts are what the hell does an ECU and undersized pulley have to do with a rear shock failure? Take that up with MBZ customer relations. Thats like saying you painted the car a different color and that voided the transmission warranty. Just my thoughts.
Unfortunately, they use those types of excuses to not do the work, regardless of if they are related issues or not. They "assume" other things may have been modified as well. Its stupid.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
In the eyes of MB field reps and general service managers... anytime you modify the vehicle to produce more power / torque, you're putting excessive strain, stress, and wear on components that were not originally manufactured to handle or accommodate such increases in power.

Now in all reality, can they handle it, I'm certain to a degree and limit they (the components in questions) can, but MB has to do what they feel is appropriate to cover there rear ends in the event something catastrophic happens.

But to understand where they're coming from, whenever you build more power (torque) you will undoubtedly put more strain on the suspension and chassis components. That is not a matter of opinion but rather fact, so although the suspension warranty work being denied may sound a bit suspicious, they have every right to deny such work due to the mods on hand...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

AMGs
Congrats on the findings... Now take your car to a dyno shop and tell us how much power you are putting to the ground.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Cairo94507
Remember the Moss-Magnussen Act. The mod MUST have something to do with the failure or need for repair in order for service to be denied under warranty or even non-warranty work.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Remember the Moss-Magnussen Act. The mod MUST have something to do with the failure or need for repair in order for service to be denied under warranty or even non-warranty work.
The act says no such thing. This is a myth, I've actually read it. Manufacturers can, and do, have the right to deny warranty work if the vehicle is modified outside original operating specs.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
What I find interesting on this whole story is why would they look at engine components for a shock change out. Why now and not previously on any other service work?

Link
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM

Looking for CLS55 AMG
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._15_10_50.html

reading now
Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Improviz
The act says no such thing. This is a myth, I've actually read it. Manufacturers can, and do, have the right to deny warranty work if the vehicle is modified outside original operating specs.
Oh well, If you are right we modders are all going to be kissing up to our local tuners for all repair and maintenance work. Note to Self. Dont' **** my tuner/indie shop off!

I still can't stop laughing at your giant pigeon. Hilarious!!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM

several
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
What I find interesting on this whole story is why would they look at engine components for a shock change out. Why now and not previously on any other service work?

Link
They investigate to see why the shock failed.

Last edited by phantom1; 12-26-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM

several
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
In the eyes of MB field reps and general service managers... anytime you modify the vehicle to produce more power / torque, you're putting excessive strain, stress, and wear on components that were not originally manufactured to handle or accommodate such increases in power.

Now in all reality, can they handle it, I'm certain to a degree and limit they (the components in questions) can, but MB has to do what they feel is appropriate to cover there rear ends in the event something catastrophic happens.

But to understand where they're coming from, whenever you build more power (torque) you will undoubtedly put more strain on the suspension and chassis components. That is not a matter of opinion but rather fact, so although the suspension warranty work being denied may sound a bit suspicious, they have every right to deny such work due to the mods on hand...
Your right
They don't want to foot the bill, touch it, or be responsible for any work done to the vehical after its been modified because of liability issues, and to protect their a$$ets. When a serious accident occurs with a modded vehicle, there's typicaly a full blown investigation. If a stock veh that comes with 469-514 hp crashes due to shock failure, then the manufacture could be liable and sued, but if a modded mb with a substantial increase in hp crashes, then the owner can be held liable, especially if they knowingly increased the hp and negleted to upgrade the brakes and suspension. The stock shocks were not engineered to support 550. Let's hope the insurance industry doesn't start the same crap, by not making payoffs because of vehicles being modified.

Last edited by phantom1; 12-26-2009 at 11:54 PM.