MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C219 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219-174/)
-   -   CLS63 starting in 2nd gear even in S mode (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/333676-cls63-starting-2nd-gear-even-s-mode.html)

Dericious 01-12-2010 04:47 PM

CLS63 starting in 2nd gear even in S mode

I've been doing some commuting in traffic and running errands. Haven't been getting the egine roaring at all lately sadly.

Now i think the car must think i'm an old grandpa or something cause it's starting me out in 2 gear even in "S" mode.

Does anyone else get this?

Also, i read that it's possible to reset the adaptive ECU. Is there any sign by the car that the reset has been successful?

DucatiNut 01-12-2010 11:31 PM

Yes..... a big difference when you touch the gas pedal.... reset and test it...

juicee63 01-14-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dericious (Post 3891782)
I've been doing some commuting in traffic and running errands. Haven't been getting the egine roaring at all lately sadly.

Now i think the car must think i'm an old grandpa or something cause it's starting me out in 2 gear even in "S" mode.

Does anyone else get this?

Also, i read that it's possible to reset the adaptive ECU. Is there any sign by the car that the reset has been successful?

Take your car in asap and get the bulletin that will fix your transmission.

Your CLS63 in d/s should start in FIRST GEAR

QuadBenz 01-14-2010 09:27 PM

Had the same issue with the ML63. Took it in and the dealer reflashed/updated the ECU (or something like that :y) which did successfully fix the issue. The difference was VERY noticeable.

Dericious 01-15-2010 12:37 AM

thanks, will do that. will i need to provide a bulletin? or has this been a known issue for awhile? Thanks

juicee63 01-15-2010 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dericious (Post 3895285)
thanks, will do that. will i need to provide a bulletin? or has this been a known issue for awhile? Thanks

Just explain the problem , they can give you all the latest updates to the transmission.

Sometimes they attempt to tell you this is normal. It is not . The car will start in 2nd in C mode but in S it should always hold the gears longer and start in 1st.

:y

Dericious 01-15-2010 03:43 PM

It's funny i noticed when the engine is cold it starts in 2nd. But If i floor it a couple times it will usually go back to starting in 1st. But otherwise unless i'm totally punching it and causing the ESP to kick in it will insist on starting in 2nd. It still definitely holds a gear longer in S than in C regardless.

Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely be asking them to correct this on my next visit.

Dericious 01-19-2010 01:54 PM

Any advice on providing proof that the S should start in 1? Dealer is telling me that starting in 2 is "default" by mercedes for "gas mileage" reasons. and that it's normal behavior for it to start in 2 untill you make the car perform a kick down to get it into sport mode. Seems like that defeats the purpose of having a sport mode to me. Hoping that there is a service bulletin out there or something that people can direct me to?

fn3423 01-19-2010 03:27 PM

After reading all of this I went and played around with the C and S.
In S, it starts in 1st every time.
I have the Performance pack. That may or may not be the difference.
Try calling Mercedes customer assistance…1-800-367-6372

Dericious 01-19-2010 07:22 PM

Okay, i just talked to the tech directly. And he gave me a schpiel about MB doing this too all of its cars now. So until you floor the car it will always start in 2nd. And there is nothing they can do about it. I will try calling MB directly to see if i can get some info, but anyone have a MB dealer in the Los Angeles Area that knows how to correct this issue? Very annoying.

--------------------------------------
update: So I spoke with MBUSA to confirm what the "truth" is. And it sounds like the MB tech was telling me the truth, and nothing but. At least according to Mercedes. A reporesentative from MB's product team verified with their own technicians that the CLS63 will always start in 2nd gear untill the car is pushed (floored) hence activating the full sport/standard mode. This is the "most up to date" info they have and was done for "comfort and gas mileage". So if this isn't happening to you, hopefully they never update your software to do this. I guess i'll just have to spin my tires more often to get the car ready for action.

juicee63 01-21-2010 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dericious (Post 3901296)
Okay, i just talked to the tech directly. And he gave me a schpiel about MB doing this too all of its cars now. So until you floor the car it will always start in 2nd. And there is nothing they can do about it. I will try calling MB directly to see if i can get some info, but anyone have a MB dealer in the Los Angeles Area that knows how to correct this issue? Very annoying.

--------------------------------------
update: So I spoke with MBUSA to confirm what the "truth" is. And it sounds like the MB tech was telling me the truth, and nothing but. At least according to Mercedes. A reporesentative from MB's product team verified with their own technicians that the CLS63 will always start in 2nd gear untill the car is pushed (floored) hence activating the full sport/standard mode. This is the "most up to date" info they have and was done for "comfort and gas mileage". So if this isn't happening to you, hopefully they never update your software to do this. I guess i'll just have to spin my tires more often to get the car ready for action.

They are clueless.

Sorry in COMFORT MODE yes the car starts in 2nd.

In sport mode HENCE THE NAME S P O R T the car should ALWAYS start in first.

If you wish to fix this yourself do the following.

1. At a light tap your paddles so your car reads 1st gear. In drive sport it will start in first and shift out normally. The harder you drive the more aggressive the shift point.

Just manually downshift . Eventually the car will learn to always start in first in d/s.

My CLS 63 NEVER STARTS IN 2nd in d/s, never.

Bring your car to fomoso raceway on 1/30. We can solve the problem then:y:D

Dericious 01-21-2010 11:44 AM

thanks, will try that. I always thought that if i tap to 1st gear in S mode it would hold 1st ad not shift out. So if i just keep putting the gas down the computer will over ride the gear limit and shift? I feel like i tried that and it just let me rev and rev w/o shifting. Will try again to "teach" my car to work properly.

juicee63 01-22-2010 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dericious (Post 3903744)
thanks, will try that. I always thought that if i tap to 1st gear in S mode it would hold 1st ad not shift out. So if i just keep putting the gas down the computer will over ride the gear limit and shift? I feel like i tried that and it just let me rev and rev w/o shifting. Will try again to "teach" my car to work properly.

Do not worry she will shift out even if you downshift. Remember do not use the M mode use D/S but tap her down into 1st so your screen on the dash says 1. Then just drive as you always would.If you floor it it with ESP OFF it should shift out in the high 6k range. With ESP on as th hint of any whell spin at all she will shift to 2nd.

QuadBenz 01-22-2010 01:47 AM

It says so in the manual that C starts the car off in 2nd gear, while S starts it in 1st.

juicee63 01-22-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuadBenz (Post 3904891)
It says so in the manual that C starts the car off in 2nd gear, while S starts it in 1st.

Yep same in mine.

Strange Mercedes tells him a fairy tale so they do not have to correct the issue.

drmike5000 01-22-2010 10:14 PM

Dericious, you and I got ours around the same time. I tried mine yesterday, it started in first gear in each mode C, M, and S. This was from a dead stop each time.

QuadBenz 01-22-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by juicee63 (Post 3906153)
Yep same in mine.

Strange Mercedes tells him a fairy tale so they do not have to correct the issue.

Very strange indeed, considering it's only a software issue and no hardware changes/fixes are necessary.

m_berman 01-22-2010 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuadBenz (Post 3904891)

Same is true with my CLS55 with the 030 package.

Dericious 01-23-2010 01:45 AM

ARGHHH! I"m so annoyed that they all give me the same stupid excuse. I'm just very surprised the MBUSA itself gave me that same answer. S starting in 2nd is just stupid. I do admit i drive it like a grandma in the mornings cause the car doesn't even really get warmed up by the time i'm at work. Car is in the shop right now for some other things so won't get an opportunity to try to train it to start in 1st till monday. Thanks for the input guys.

Just thought about something. is there anyway to check what version of TCU or ECU software that is installed?

rarfinancial 01-23-2010 11:10 AM

When I first bought my CLS63 it always started in 2nd when in S mode unless I put it in 1st myself. I thought this was normal but one day while the car was at the Dealer for service I told the service writer about it and he said it should start in 1st gear ALWAYS when in S mode, said they will update the software. Picked the car up and YAHOO 1st gear :bow: I just love that gear :rolf: Don't let them B.S you

Dericious 01-23-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rarfinancial (Post 3906680)
When I first bought my CLS63 it always started in 2nd when in S mode unless I put it in 1st myself. I thought this was normal but one day while the car was at the Dealer for service I told the service writer about it and he said it should start in 1st gear ALWAYS when in S mode, said they will update the software. Picked the car up and YAHOO 1st gear :bow: I just love that gear :rolf: Don't let them B.S you

Mind if i ask you what dealer and service advisor took care of this for you? I feel like every one i talk to at mercedes will not fix it.

masterT1021 12-13-2012 09:44 PM

Hi, sorry to bring back an old thread from the dead but I was able to get this done at the dealer last month and figured I can help someone out. This is for anyone with an early model 07 cls63 and your sport mode starts in second gear unless you have WOT. It will require two separate updates for the ecu and tcu. The code for the software are #009024201-001 & #009034200-001. The dealer writes: Performed engine and trans software flash and SCN coding. Shift adaptations are NOT necessary. Don't let them try to screw you. Initial impressions are amazing. I refuse to drive in comfort anymore. lol

Dericious 12-17-2012 10:51 AM

Do you mind me asking if you experience a bad hesitation when slowing down to 5mph or less (rolling stop) and then hit the gas again?

they got my car to finally start out in 1st gear, but it has a terrible, and dangerous hesitation where it almost feels like the car is going to stall and there is no response to throttle and suddenly it'll down shirt to first and jerk the hell out of the car.

Wondering if they finally fixed it.

SIN3 12-31-2012 11:58 PM

great info thank you all.

masterT1021 01-12-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dericious (Post 5472548)
Do you mind me asking if you experience a bad hesitation when slowing down to 5mph or less (rolling stop) and then hit the gas again?

they got my car to finally start out in 1st gear, but it has a terrible, and dangerous hesitation where it almost feels like the car is going to stall and there is no response to throttle and suddenly it'll down shirt to first and jerk the hell out of the car.

Wondering if they finally fixed it.

Hi Dericious,
Apologies for the late reply. I tested exactly what you mentioned on multiple attempts and have not experienced this. What you say actually sounds dangerous. Were you not able to replicate this at the dealer? Tell your SA you want to drive it with the tech. They definitely need to fix that.