C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Question Pertaining to Oil Pan Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS 55 AMG, 03 Toyota Camery (daily driver)
Question Pertaining to Oil Pan Leak

Just recenting picked up an 06 CLS 55 AMG. Noticed that when i get on it that i can smell a burning type smell. Also that there are small oil stains on the concrete that have dripped from underneath my car i have noticed as well. I have read some threads on here that the valve covers tend to leak and drip down on the manifold which ends up burning the oil. After reading those i assumed that that is what the problem possibly was.

Im currently out of the country and my family mechanic has my car. He works on my mentors CLS and other various MBs so i knew he would be some what familiar with my CLS.

After looking at the car my mechanic informed me that the leak (not leaking bad at all he said) was coming from the Oil Pan and he could tell that silicon was the type of gasket material that was used. The burning smell he said is oil that has accumilated over time that blows onto the exhaust when i get on it.

I was kind of shocked to hear that a silicon type gasket was being used for an AMG vehicle.

Is silicon what MB uses from the factory as a gasket for the Oil Pan???

Anyone's input is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Yes. Black silicone is used to seal the oil pan.
Why are you shocked?
This method is a good way to seal the oil pan but needs to be applied properly. If the procedure is rushed then you might have an oil leak. This stuff is used to seal most of your motor.

Originally Posted by zach1745
Just recenting picked up an 06 CLS 55 AMG. Noticed that when i get on it that i can smell a burning type smell. Also that there are small oil stains on the concrete that have dripped from underneath my car i have noticed as well. I have read some threads on here that the valve covers tend to leak and drip down on the manifold which ends up burning the oil. After reading those i assumed that that is what the problem possibly was.

Im currently out of the country and my family mechanic has my car. He works on my mentors CLS and other various MBs so i knew he would be some what familiar with my CLS.

After looking at the car my mechanic informed me that the leak (not leaking bad at all he said) was coming from the Oil Pan and he could tell that silicon was the type of gasket material that was used. The burning smell he said is oil that has accumilated over time that blows onto the exhaust when i get on it.

I was kind of shocked to hear that a silicon type gasket was being used for an AMG vehicle.

Is silicon what MB uses from the factory as a gasket for the Oil Pan???

Anyone's input is much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by khelawanb; 01-09-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 AM

I appreciate the information/reply.

Ya i was shocked b/c silicon is not exactly the best material i would use because if it was applied wrong it could get up in the oil pan and seize up the motor.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Originally Posted by zach1745
I appreciate the information/reply.

Ya i was shocked b/c silicon is not exactly the best material i would use because if it was applied wrong it could get up in the oil pan and seize up the motor.
Thats why only certified techs are recommended to work on these cars. There is a filter at the bottom of the oil pump to prevent things from getting sucked in.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Gotcha, makes good sense. Back in the day my high school car was a 71 chevelle SS and when i always worked on the motor i would use rubber or cork type gaskets. and never had a problem with leaks.

But i guess it is what it is.

Have you heard of anyone else havin a leaky oil pan before?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump, wish someone knew how to remove the oil pan. Spent a few hours trying at it today and no way I could get to any of those bolts without removing the front end out the vehicle. Would love to see a DIY.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 AM

S60
Not sure about the W219, but mine (W163) requires lifting engine off mounts to remove oil pan.