C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Need to remove calipers - how to temporarily plug brake lines?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS63 AMG + 2003.5 M3 e46
Need to remove calipers - how to temporarily plug brake lines?

Need to ship my calipers to have them powder coated in another color. What's the best way to plug the brakes lines for a couple of weeks after I remove the calipers?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Do not crimp the rubber brake line. Find a threaded end cap to cap off the line.

Caution--If you have CLS 55 its senstronic brakes. Disconnect the electrical at the ABS unit to disengage the electronics from activating the pistons and losing some fingers for the DIYer.

The Caliper bolts are single use bolts. Need to purchase new ones from your Stealer Dealer with the lock-tight pre applied.

Don't forget to also pick up the super secret MB hi temp brake pad grease while shopping at your Stealer Dealer. This goes on the back of the pad brakes between the pistons in lieu of a backer plate.

Untorquing and re-torquing these caliber bolts is a trick. So much torque makes its difficult to get the leverage without a lift. Make sure you re-torque to specs which most likely you will need to have your Stealer Dealer do for you. Since your having him re-torque these pain in the *** bolts, it’s easier for him to flush and bleed your fluid.

Good Luck and do it right the first time.

PS...My suggestion-while everything is apart, put new Zero Dust Akenobono Euro Brake Pads on. It is really zero dust and it will keep your wheels clean 100% of the time.

Last edited by m_berman; 03-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobSmith (05-07-2017)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by m_berman
Do not crimp the rubber brake line. Find a threaded end cap to cap off the line.

Caution--If you have CLS 55 its senstronic brakes. Disconnect the electrical at the ABS unit to disengage the electronics from activating the pistons and losing some fingers for the DIYer.

The Caliper bolts are single use bolts. Need to purchase new ones from your Stealer Dealer with the lock-tight pre applied.

Untorquing and re-torquing these caliber bolts is a trick. So much torque makes its difficult to get the leverage without a lift. Make sure you re-torque to specs which most likely you will need to have your Stealer Dealer do for you. Since your having him re-torque these pain in the *** bolts, it’s easier for him to flush and bleed you fluid.

Thanks for the good info. I knew about the single use bolts, but didn't know about the senstronic. I have an '09 CLS63 so from what I understand that does not apply.

I have done brakes before on my M3 (installed a Brembo BBK) but have never worked on the AMG, so am a little nervous. I also own a pressure brake bleeding system so am comfortable with that procedure.

Thanks again

Last edited by curtisG; 03-25-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Looks like you did your homework. Just do some bench presses to get those bolts off.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Looks like you did your homework. Just do some bench presses to get those bolts off.
Boy - you weren't kidding.. What the heck do you have to do to get those damn caliper bolts off..

I don't have access to a car lift so the breaker bar just doesn't have enough clearance, and my impact driver isn't powerful enough ..

Painting instead of powdercoating is starting to look better by the minute!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by curtisG
Boy - you weren't kidding.. What the heck do you have to do to get those damn caliper bolts off..

I don't have access to a car lift so the breaker bar just doesn't have enough clearance, and my impact driver isn't powerful enough ..

Painting instead of powdercoating is starting to look better by the minute!
It took me a while with a small sledge hammering away on a socket wrench. Be carefull not to strip the bolt head. It takes some time and lots of patients. I even applied liquid wrench and did a lot of praying.

You might want to try a little heat on the bolt head with a torch. They have locktight on the bolts threads

Good luck.

Last edited by m_berman; 05-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 PM

CLS55 AMG

Don't forget to also pick up the super secret MB hi temp brake pad grease while shopping at your Stealer Dealer. This goes on the back of the pad brakes between the pistons in lieu of a backer plate.

Untorquing and re-torquing these caliber bolts is a trick. So much torque makes its difficult to get the leverage without a lift. Make sure you re-torque to specs which most likely you will need to have your Stealer Dealer do for you. Since your having him re-torque these pain in the *** bolts, it’s easier for him to flush and bleed your fluid.

PS...My suggestion-while everything is apart, put new Zero Dust Akenobono Euro Brake Pads on. It is really zero dust and it will keep your wheels clean 100% of the time.
Great information bro! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I'm getting ready to swap a caliper on my w219 was wondering if I can get away with just crimping the brake line for this as i'm only going to be taking the old one out and connecting a new one. Are there any instructions on how to change calipers? I've changed pads and rotors but never touched a caliper before or bled any brakes.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dnasty
I'm getting ready to swap a caliper on my w219 was wondering if I can get away with just crimping the brake line for this as i'm only going to be taking the old one out and connecting a new one. Are there any instructions on how to change calipers? I've changed pads and rotors but never touched a caliper before or bled any brakes.
Dynasty,

M_Berman is a wise guy. Knows what he's talking about.

And crimping a brake line that's as old as yours (if you're doing your '06 CLS) is asking for a trip to the dealer to get a new line. At the very least, you could expect to dislodge crusties inside the line and they'd travel down to your caliper and clog a passage or something.

Also, you really, really need to ensure that you don't have the Sensotrinic Brake Control before you start self service. (See below). You could shoot your eye out. SBC does some crazy stuff to home mechanics.

Best of luck!

Cars with SBC
Mercedes SL roadster (R230)
Mercedes E-Class sedan (W211) and Estate (S211) until mid 2006
Mercedes E-Class 4matic sedan (W211) and 4matic Estate (S211) until mid 2006
Mercedes SLR (C199)
Maybach 57 and 62 (W240)
Mercedes CLS coupe (C219) until mid 2006