MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C219 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219-174/)
-   -   Talk me into/out of the CLS class (https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/493841-talk-me-into-out-cls-class.html)

scamperly 03-30-2013 06:34 PM

Talk me into/out of the CLS class

So basically, I've been enamored with the CLS class since it came out, and I've been watching prices on them for the last year, and they're starting to come into a range I can afford, but I'm really interested in what the ownership experience is like.

Currently I drive an '07 Lexus es350, and it is fantastic. Quiet, comfy, and smooth, but frankly it is rather boring and not terribly attractive. I do love that it hasn't given me any trouble at all (currently at 110k kms) and requires routine maintenance and nothing else.

If I were to look at a CLS55 amg or a CLS550, how much should I be setting aside for maintenance/repairs every year, what sort of stuff is common (I noticed a theme among posts of the air suspension having troubles) and what should I look out for when I'm buying the car?

If it helps at all: I'm looking for looks/fun, I don't have any plans to have children, and I love the look of the car but I'm curious if it is going to be something that breaks the bank or is a solid car I can drive daily.

Thank you!

sfadchi 03-30-2013 08:57 PM

I was in your same boat. I've wanted this car for 5 years. I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2009 CLS63. I absolutely love the car. You will not be disappointed. There's just something about owning a 500HP super sedan with an original MSRP north of $100K!

dflamer 03-31-2013 12:10 AM

I think the CLS looks great, but I do find the seats a bit hard. That's my $0.02

150shot 03-31-2013 03:31 AM

Honestly if youre plans are looks and fun with no plans for kids get an SL. Its very close and amazingly at the same price range on the AMG side minus a year or two but again no kids, all looks and fun SL wont be beat.

Funny story, sold mine to eventually get a CLS but I need a four door. If youre performance oriented get the 55 totally diff car. If not the 550 will do just fine. Wouldnt own one without a warranty.

scamperly 04-01-2013 07:57 PM

Thank you, but honestly the SL55 just doesn't appeal to me.

Can someone who owns one, off warranty, tell me (in dollars) what they spend yearly repairing/maintaining? I know most cars cost ~$1000/year, I wouldn't even mind at $2000/year, but if I'm looking at like $4k+ I think I may have to pass on it, I'm just curious.

hyperion667 04-01-2013 08:06 PM

try looking at CPO'ed cars obviously, to try and lessen any expense from your pocket....
in the event that something does or did go wrong, my guess would be 'expensive'.
Also, look into an Indy shop nearby you, will save money.....
my only expense has been modding thus far, but you're looking into an older model?
they're all quite beautiful:y

scamperly 04-01-2013 08:08 PM

The thing is, I'm ok with expensive, but I'm not ok with ridiculous, which is what in trying to figure out. Is it crazy ti own one off warranty or just an extra $1000/year more expensive?

Flo1989 04-02-2013 01:44 AM

I've had my CLS55 now for almost two years without a warranty. Took a gamble I know but so far so good (knocks on wood). Other then the normal stuff like oil changes ($120 for me) I've only had to get a brake wire replaced that was causing my push start not to work all the time. $12 part and $110 labor charge. Other then that, no issues! And I've put about 12.5k on the clock since owning it. If u do decide to get one without a warranty, I would have a MB dealer do a full inspection on the car pre purchase.

sfadchi 04-02-2013 07:18 AM

I also would recommend finding an independent shop near you and building a relationship with then. They are normally 30-50% the cost of what the dealer will charge you.