C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

How to remove instrument cluster dial covers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
How to remove instrument cluster dial covers?

Hi guys, somehow the inside of the clear plastic covers that go over our cluster dials is spotted and dusty from the inside. It's really bothering me now that it's sunnier around here and I notice it more. Anybody know how to go about removing them so I can clean the underside of the covers? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Bump
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM

CLS55 AMG
not sure how to , but, can u get a straw in there ,,..?? IF so get a can of compressed air. Mayby it will help just enough until someone can chime in and give instructions.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Thanks for the reply. No the dials seem well sealed off, which makes me wonder how they are dirty from the inside at all. I hope that the entire cluster doesn't need to come out just to get at the plastic covers.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Mine suffers from the same issue. Looked at removing the covers but can't seem to it and am afraid of damaging or breaking it.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 AM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
I almost wish I knew how they got dirty as much as how to clean them.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
yes, you have at least to remove the instrument surround.

removing the surround is just a matter of pulling it... if you use the search button for "intrument surround" you should find a thread where I also wrote something around year2010.

I did that when I replaced the cover of the cluster with a carbon trim.

when you'll have removed the surround, you'll be able to remove the black (dark grey indeed) cover of the cluster.
At that point you'll have to remove the chrome rings. they are strongly clipped to the cover. Looking from below the cover you will see there are three openings under each ring. use something not metallic to push the ring off of its seat, as you will have to push hard enough.
Pay attention to the glass that is kept in place by the chrome ring: it is thin, therefore not strong..

hope this helps.
would have uploaded a pair of pics but my imageshack uploader doesn't work anymore, so if you seggest me what to use for uploading will do.

PS: .. just noticed a pic got uploaded. it is what I call "cover of the cluster". You see one chrome ring already removed (ant the glass close to it).
looking at the cover, you should also see the seat where the removed ring was clipped and be able to detect at least one of the openings I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove instrument cluster dial covers?-dscf1155.jpg  

Last edited by dyno; 06-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:54 PM

CLS 500
Originally Posted by dyno
yes, you have at least to remove the instrument surround.

removing the surround is just a matter of pulling it... if you use the search button for "intrument surround" you should find a thread where I also wrote something around year2010.

I did that when I replaced the cover of the cluster with a carbon trim.

when you'll have removed the surround, you'll be able to remove the black (dark grey indeed) cover of the cluster.
At that point you'll have to remove the chrome rings. they are strongly clipped to the cover. Looking from below the cover you will see there are three openings under each ring. use something not metallic to push the ring off of its seat, as you will have to push hard enough.
Pay attention to the glass that is kept in place by the chrome ring: it is thin, therefore not strong..

hope this helps.
would have uploaded a pair of pics but my imageshack uploader doesn't work anymore, so if you seggest me what to use for uploading will do.

PS: .. just noticed a pic got uploaded. it is what I call "cover of the cluster". You see one chrome ring already removed (ant the glass close to it).
looking at the cover, you should also see the seat where the removed ring was clipped and be able to detect at least one of the openings I was talking about.
Thanks buddy.

Just cleaned it all out, but I just disconnected the front half of the cluster from the electrical back end. I didn't need to take off the chrome rings/glass and just cleaned them while it was still on it. Cleaned it with a bit of soap and water + MF cloth and it turned out perfect .

Whatever the grime that was stuck there before was, it was quite oily.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 AM

CLS 350 (C219)
Could you please explain what have you done before disconnecting the instrument cluster? Like disconnecting the battery or not? ignition Key position ? Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
You don't do anything to that car without first removing the battery cable,or you'll wish you had.