C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

What's the best way to fix the negative camber on a Lowered CLS 55???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Thank you.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
Bump.

Any updates with the kmac kits and or any others installed?

I tried one back in January and, unfortunately for me, it was in the shop for over a months time overall trying to figure out the issues with the product.

So, I am back in the market
Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Front Camber & Caster kit

Originally Posted by Jezter
Bump.

Any updates with the kmac kits and or any others installed?

I tried one back in January and, unfortunately for me, it was in the shop for over a months time overall trying to figure out the issues with the product.

So, I am back in the market

ANY UPDATES / FEEDBACK / IMPROVEMENTS – LET US KNOW. THAT’S WHAT WE DO AT K-MAC –

DESIGN MANUFACTURE AND CONSTANTLY DEVELOP / UPGRADE OUR ALIGNMENT PRODUCTS.

THERE IS ONLY FRONT AND REAR TOE ADJUSTMENT OEM and we therefore saw the need and are the original manufacturers of both front and rear Camber, Caster, Toe adjustable bushing kits to suit virtually every model Mercedes 1968 to 2015 - Sedans, Wagons, SUV’s and Commercials.

Being the innovators / constantly breaking new ground can and does create controversy. Example our unique patented “adjustable bushing” concept is a revolution in design!

The last 40 or 50 years the industry standard for adjusting a suspension bush, to change a alignment setting required the labour intensive removal and repositioning each time.

THE K-MAC ADJUSTABLE BUSHING INVENTION CHANGED ALL THAT. . . .

Now – only requiring a single wrench to “ precisely adjust” accurately on car – direct on alignment rack under load (no more labour intensive dismantling each time) allowing simple ongoing, future adjustment when required to resolve premature edge tire wear, steering pull etc.

THE K-MAC DESIGN . . . .

“Hey it’s different”, “it can’t work”, “how does it work” Controversy. . . but once you get your head around it. . . it is simplicity itself! (often said the simplest design is the best design).

K-MAC PATENTED INTERLOCKING BOLT/BUSH INVENTION. . . .

• A inner bush rotates inside (stationary) outer sleeve. Means mount can be inserted in any position (not just one offset position of adjustment) allowing therefore precise change of adjustment SIMPLY BY ROTATING BOLT HEADS.

We have been manufacturing, developing the world’s largest range of adjuster kits (Audi to Volvo) for over 40 years, with patents and patents pending on many design breakthroughs including:

• The sliding ball joint for wishbone suspensions.
  • The all positional aperture adjuster for strut suspension providing the quickest, biggest adjustment system.
  • Strut adjusters for current Camaros, Mustangs and many other makes not requiring removal or structural modifications.
  • 2 bolt flange strut adjusters not requiring downsized / weakened crank bolts to adjust.

All kits come with instructions and bush extraction/insertion tubes (MB World member Heiss Rod has kindly provided step by step picture sequence re front bush installation. See https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/518431-k-mac-bushing-install-guide-w211-airmatic.html )

W219 Front kit (Camber and Caster) #502216K $480.

W219 Rear kit (Camber and Extra Toe) #502526K $480.

Including airmatic.

Current promotion for W219 MB World members USA / CANADA (and all other Mercedes models) is freight at $30 for one kit or $40 for front and rear. Average delivery time is 3 – 4 days. Can pay by Visa, M/Card or PayPal.

The following users liked this post:
kbanks45 (07-01-2021)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by 150shot
As with pretty much every car that I have lowered over years my easiest solution is to "flip" or rotate side to side the tires so the insides go to the outsides and vice versa. It has easily given me an extra 4-5k miles on average.
Please don't do this. Crossing the tires will open you to security risks. Tires have wire frames that are deformed with load after some miles so you will be reversing that deformation and that puts stress on the tires. Only switch front to rear, keeping them to their sides. (only if the specs are the same for front and rear)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Interesting concept - lower your car, out of manufacture specification, and then deal with constant problems........I don't get it. Bit like those Stromberg Spark Converters they used to sell.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM

CLS63
No follow up???

So out of aaaall those orders no one else even bothered to follow up and let every else know how they worked for them.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
Originally Posted by tonecas
Please don't do this. Crossing the tires will open you to security risks. Tires have wire frames that are deformed with load after some miles so you will be reversing that deformation and that puts stress on the tires. Only switch front to rear, keeping them to their sides. (only if the specs are the same for front and rear)
You read his post wrong. He is talking about unmounting the tire. In the end it will be rotating the same direction but on other side.

Problem is that he needs to run a tire that allows that. Many can only have one side on outside.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM

2007 cls550
Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
So out of aaaall those orders no one else even bothered to follow up and let every else know how they worked for them.
+1
Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
My rear k-mac bushings are still holding up after 50;000 miles and four years. The ones in the thrust arms are still good, but the ball joints are only good for about 30k, so they have to be reinstalled. The ones in the control arms didn't survive. K-mac sent me a new set, and told me not to rotate them as far. I wasn't getting enough adjustment even before, and the problem is all the force is on the thin side of the urethane. I ended up slotting the sub-frame and going with stock bushings in the control arms only. So k-mac in everything but the control arms, My front camber is at 0, the back is close. My tires last so long I get bored with them.
The reason no one came back to review is that everyone who mods their car is on the 211 amg forum. (Same car, different body style)
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:36 PM

2007 cls550
Thanks for the update StarvingArtist!

when you say thrust arms you are referring to those that affect caster, right?

tell me more about slotting the frame with oem bushings. How do you hold it in place once dialed in?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:17 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
The reason no one came back to review is that everyone who mods their car is on the 211 amg forum. (Same car, different body style)
Oh I see. I knew the CLS is an E in a (better looking) disguise but didn't think about checking in the 211 section.

Well I am also curious where and how you "slotted" yours. If you would be so kind as to elaborate that would be awesome and it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The control arms are the ones square with the frame. Start with camber bolts, they have two slots in them and allow you to bolt the arms in three different positions. Buy a set of front k-mac bushings and new thrust arms to put them in. Those ball joints have a short lifespan anyway. You will have 4 bushings in the set. Keep 2 for later or give them to your buddy.

When you slam on the brakes all the force is pushing the control arms toward the center of the car. That is also the direction you need to cut the slots. It is a half day project to get it right. I do my own alignments with a wooden jig I built, and I set it down and aligned it 3 times before I cut far enough. I was going to build adjusters like on a motorcycle back wheel, but never got around to it. One of my slots is cut too far, but I tightened it down in the right spot and it's never slipped, and I've got P030 brakes and I'm not afraid to use them. I used a 2 foot level on the wheel to set the camber plumb. Avoid the tire bulge at the very bottom. and roll the car back and forth a couple times to settle the suspension. Use a jig or straight edge to set the toe dead square with the car first because the two ball joints at the bottom of the spindle are designed to change the camber as you steer. Pick your height before you start because that changes things pretty dramatically too. I'm lowered about 2 inches, so my k-macs are maxed out and my control arms are toward the center of the car almost as far as they can go with slots plus camber bolts to get my wheels to stand up straight. If you drive a lot, close buys you some time, but still chews the inside edges off. Pull a wheel off and spend some time under there getting all the geometry in your head before you do anything. Steer it back and forth and watch what changes. Don't get squished!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Oh I see. I knew the CLS is an E in a (better looking) disguise but didn't think about checking in the 211 section.
It was originally based on the E class platform but not anymore AFAIK

Old 09-27-2018, 04:18 AM

CLS63
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
The control arms are the ones square with the frame. Start with camber bolts, they have two slots in them and allow you to bolt the arms in three different positions. Buy a set of front k-mac bushings and new thrust arms to put them in. Those ball joints have a short lifespan anyway. You will have 4 bushings in the set. Keep 2 for later or give them to your buddy.

When you slam on the brakes all the force is pushing the control arms toward the center of the car. That is also the direction you need to cut the slots. It is a half day project to get it right. I do my own alignments with a wooden jig I built, and I set it down and aligned it 3 times before I cut far enough. I was going to build adjusters like on a motorcycle back wheel, but never got around to it. One of my slots is cut too far, but I tightened it down in the right spot and it's never slipped, and I've got P030 brakes and I'm not afraid to use them. I used a 2 foot level on the wheel to set the camber plumb. Avoid the tire bulge at the very bottom. and roll the car back and forth a couple times to settle the suspension. Use a jig or straight edge to set the toe dead square with the car first because the two ball joints at the bottom of the spindle are designed to change the camber as you steer. Pick your height before you start because that changes things pretty dramatically too. I'm lowered about 2 inches, so my k-macs are maxed out and my control arms are toward the center of the car almost as far as they can go with slots plus camber bolts to get my wheels to stand up straight. If you drive a lot, close buys you some time, but still chews the inside edges off. Pull a wheel off and spend some time under there getting all the geometry in your head before you do anything. Steer it back and forth and watch what changes. Don't get squished!
Artist I can for the most part follow your directions/details and am certain in my abilities that I cannot do the same. Perhaps some photos would assist in picturing it better but I wouldn't be that much of a bother to anyone to ask. So I thank you for taking the time to explain it.

So what if I scrapped this whole idea of going with KMAC camber bushing set and went with something like this ebay link below instead? Would I still be able to achieve the same results, or do these not allow you to manipulate/adjust camber enough like the KMAC's bushing set? As far as I know the biggest downfall with this ebay item below is that it might stiffen the ride severely right? Curious your thoughts if these would help with what I currently have which is the Programa lowering model for my W219 also WITH lowering links cause even though the module allows you to adjust on the fly it still doesn't go low enough. Please let me know what you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-AMG-Adjustable-Toe-and-Camber-Arms-W211-W219-/172161428756

Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM

2007 cls550
BeamerKiller, Those UPD links are the way to go but expensive and installation, especially in rear with airbags, is a pain. However, once installed you can dial in camber to zero. Toe is already adjustable in front but these just look cool. No they don’t make ride harsh. They just replace current arms with adjustable ones. Do some research though because I think there are two major vendors used on this forum that make the same type kits.

Also, if you have a lowering module keep in mind that raising or lowering it affects camber. Need to decide where you want to be, stay there, and get aligned.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:41 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by 95viper
BeamerKiller, Those UPD links are the way to go but expensive and installation, especially in rear with airbags, is a pain. However, once installed you can dial in camber to zero. Toe is already adjustable in front but these just look cool. No they don’t make ride harsh. They just replace current arms with adjustable ones. Do some research though because I think there are two major vendors used on this forum that make the same type kits.

Also, if you have a lowering module keep in mind that raising or lowering it affects camber. Need to decide where you want to be, stay there, and get aligned.
95Viper, awesome thank you for your response. I guess I mistook the item description too literal and assumed these were going to somehow eliminate that "plush" mentioned. Which I am not really interested in making it too stiff, I appreciate the ride how it is now. But I am more-so worried about the premature and uneven tread wear on the pilot super sports and good traction.
​​
Desc: "The factory camber and toe arms are made with soft rubber bushings that allow a plush mushy luxury ride"

In regards to alignment, I do like to always keep it at a specific height so I have alignment done there but it should be fine to drop it lower when parked and raise it again at departure right? Essentially it would raise back to that specific spot I had it aligned to and go back to '0' which is the benefit of the ELM I guess = The fine tune specific height you had it at without sacrificing the headache and reliability right? I hope at least that's the idea behind it, cause basically once it levels back to where you had it aligned to, it should be fine similar to how the manufacturer's system does with my "Sport 1" and "Sport 2" settings right? At least that's my take on it, hope it's correct though lol.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 PM

2007 cls550
Yes you are spot on
Old 09-27-2018, 04:14 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by 95viper
Yes you are spot on
Ok great thank you!
Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 AM

2007 cls550
FYI there is a discussion in the C63 forum about the UPD links
Old 09-28-2018, 03:31 PM

CLS63
Thank you 95Viper, I will look for it right now. So far I'm thinking the best bet (although not the cheapest) will be those red UPD links for the rear and still debating on whether to go with that adjustable front arm on ebay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-AMG-W211-W219-CLS55-E55-E63-CLS63-Front-A-arm-Camber-Kit-Airmatic/302571344041?hash=item4672a850a9:g:qL8AAOSwIjJZXHP l

Or go with the Kmac front bushings. As you know they both have their faults. The arm isn't easy to adjust without taking off the tire cause they can't access the bolt when it is on the alignment rack right? But then the Kmac bushings are known to fail, become more costly and I'm not even sure they will be able to adjust FAR enough. So I'm kinda stuck at a stand still.