C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

What's the best way to fix the negative camber on a Lowered CLS 55???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG
What's the best way to fix the negative camber on a Lowered CLS 55???

I've been reading for awhile now and can't seem to find any solid answers on the most effective way to correct the negative camber on a lowered CLS55. While in sport 2 mode, the ground to top of the fender well measurement is right at 25". I have 255 30s up front and 305 25s in the rear mounted on 20" VIPs. If the camber is corrected, will the tires hit the fenders? They are super close. This car is an absolute blast to drive hard, but after burning through a set of Hancook v12s in 2,000 miles(is a more expensive tire going to last longer?) I'm looking into my options of adjusting the camber so I can still do occasional burn outs and donuts without shredding the inside edges off the tires. My fronts are wearing on the insides as well after a just a few runs through the hills. So far I've read about bushings kits that squeak like crazy, adjustable links with metal to metal ends that pound out, an expensive option from renntech and some bolts from the dealer that only give a small amount of adjustment. Someone has to know what works. Has anyone had any success in partially or fully correcting this issue?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:01 AM

CLS 55 AMG
Here it is. Bad pic but it's all I have
Attached Thumbnails What's the best way to fix the negative camber on a Lowered CLS 55???-image.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
Is it lowered with links or ELM ?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM

CLS 55 AMG
Links
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by CEN CAL 28
I've been reading for awhile now and can't seem to find any solid answers on the most effective way to correct the negative camber on a lowered CLS55. While in sport 2 mode, the ground to top of the fender well measurement is right at 25". I have 255 30s up front and 305 25s in the rear mounted on 20" VIPs. If the camber is corrected, will the tires hit the fenders? They are super close. This car is an absolute blast to drive hard, but after burning through a set of Hancook v12s in 2,000 miles(is a more expensive tire going to last longer?) I'm looking into my options of adjusting the camber so I can still do occasional burn outs and donuts without shredding the inside edges off the tires. My fronts are wearing on the insides as well after a just a few runs through the hills. So far I've read about bushings kits that squeak like crazy, adjustable links with metal to metal ends that pound out, an expensive option from renntech and some bolts from the dealer that only give a small amount of adjustment. Someone has to know what works. Has anyone had any success in partially or fully correcting this issue?

Ex-factory there is only front and rear Toe adjustment for virtually all Mercedes 1968 to current models (and same with Chrysler Crossfire and 300C etc).

We saw the need and were very first company to manufacture precisely adjustable front Camber and Caster bushing kits with twice the adjustment range of the basic one setting offset bolts.

Then for the rear, K-MAC Camber adjuster kits, which have the advantage (unlike upper adjustable arms/DIY kits) of not moving the top of the tire outwards when adjusting to resolve premature inner edge wear - which is an important factor to prevent tires scuffing outer fenders if wide profile tires/rims fitted.

Another advantage with K-MAC rear kits - unlike spherical bearings used in these upper arm kits, there is no harsh metal to metal contact and 20 years of the proven design - there's certainly no squeaks.

Also all K-MAC rear Camber adjusters include extra Toe adjustment which is essential to compensate accurately for the new Camber facility!

The K-MAC patented design front kits replace the 4 main suspension bushes - the unique 2 axis/self aligning design also doubles the load bearing area thereby increasing wear life and also steering and braking response.

Similar design is used for the 4 main rear K-MAC bushings.

Result is precise single wrench front and rear (ongoing) adjustment to return vehicle to factory specs to improve traction, compensate for steering pull, costly inner edge tire wear through altering height, fitting wide profile tires, load carrying, curb knock damage and/or the advantage of being able to alter specs, improve lap times on track days and with genuine K-MAC you also do not need to purchase special fitting tools.

Product confidence with K-MAC is further assured by our total, ongoing commitment to motor racing - all out 10/10ths competition testing keeps K-MAC products always at the forefront re cutting edge technology, proven strength and durability.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Mr. K Mac,

My rear tires are wearing on the inside faster than on the outside. I am lowered with links. Will your kit fix this awfully expensive situation I have going on?

Also, PM me price yesterday please. And the extent of the install.

OP, thank you and I hope I have not derailed the thread. Please continue!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Mr. K Mac,

My rear tires are wearing on the inside faster than on the outside. I am lowered with links. Will your kit fix this awfully expensive situation I have going on?

KMAC please pm me the price for a rear kit. How many people do we need for a volume discount?

To the OP - a front and rear camber kit will solve your problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Mr. K Mac,

Yes, dramatically reduce that expensive inner edge tire wear!

Plus K-MAC patented design rear Camber adjuster kit also has the advantage of maintaining clearance top of tire to outer fender.

This rear kit also comes with extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber adjustment facility.

While K-MAC front adjusters (Camber and Caster) are available to resolve also the premature inner edge wear and at the same time the extra Caster facility improving high speed directional control, steering response with quicker turn in and reduced dive/lift on brake and acceleration.

Both front and rear kits come with bush extraction tool.

Rear Camber bushes can be removed/replaced on vehicle while front there are 2 arms per side and once removed a standard bench press can be used to easily remove and replace these bearings.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by M1RAG3
KMAC please pm me the price for a rear kit. How many people do we need for a volume discount?

To the OP - a front and rear camber kit will solve your problem.

Front and Rear kits are $480each. FedEx is $70 one kit or $85 front and rear.

If you can put together a group buy of 5 or more kits (2 and a half vehicles) we can get FedEx price down to $35 each kit and with actual kit price from $480 to $410.

Saving of $170 for a front and rear kit. Remember, FedEx delivery would be to one delivery point.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 AM

W212 E250 BT 4M
I think it'll be cheaper to purchase an ELM . I've never heard about uneven tire wear from people who choose to purchase ELM over links.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG (W211)
Originally Posted by GuestFromTampa
I think it'll be cheaper to purchase an ELM . I've never heard about uneven tire wear from people who choose to purchase ELM over links.

Very funny conclusion...!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM

CLS 55 AMG
Tampa I could be wrong but from what ive read,but don't think an ELM will correct the problem. These cars ride hights are set by the amount of air in the struts. No matter how you decrease the air, the car will lower and negative camber will be the result because of the geometry of the suspension. ..they are designed to decrease camber as the suspension travels upward and increase camber as is travels down to provide better tire to ground contact during aggressive corning when the car starts to roll to the outside of the turn. .. like I said I could be wrong. its all stuff I've read and it makes sense to me but I could've read false information.

Kmac, I've read more bad than good on your product but I know how it works. You can have 100 happy customers and no one knows about it but one unhappy customer tells everyone. Maybe they aren't installing the stuff correctly, who knows. All I know is your product sounds awesome and want to give it a shot but was wondering if you offer any kind of customer satisfaction guarantee. The thread that stands out the most is the one where the guy said they squeaked like crazy and they wouldn't stay tight. He says he ended up going to back to stock bushings and dealing with tire wear because he was so unhappy. I don't want to go down that same path. What can you do to make this purchase not feel like such a gamble
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 PM

W212 E250 BT 4M
CEN CAL 28 i only speak from my own experience , my buddy and i purchased our CLSs at the same month 2 years back, i went with Carlsson ELM while he bought Ghost links. He recently had to replace his front tires because of uneven wear . I checked my front tires last week and found perfectly even wear, i`ve got same number ( 8/32 ) on the inside and outside . So in my opinion the best way to fix negative chamber is to invest in an ELM
Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
My car is LOW ( SLAMMED LOL) on links. Back is easily tucking at times and fronts are right at the tire. My backs are wearing decent, but fronts have camber wear.

As with pretty much every car that I have lowered over years my easiest solution is to "flip" or rotate side to side the tires so the insides go to the outsides and vice versa. It has easily given me an extra 4-5k miles on average.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
^
I just rotated my tires this way. It certainly extends the life of the tires there's no argument there.
The reason these kits sound interesting is yes to extend the life of the tires without having to rotate them but more important is performance. With all that weight and power only being supported by the inside half of the tire it's next to impossible to launch this thing. The only time I get even a decent launch is when I'm going 40mph+. Anything less and ESP is robbing me of power I rightfully paid for.

What's the going rate on the install of something like this? Also, would live to hear about a warranty or some sort of satisfaction guarantee.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by CEN CAL 28
Tampa I could be wrong but from what ive read,but don't think an ELM will correct the problem. These cars ride hights are set by the amount of air in the struts. No matter how you decrease the air, the car will lower and negative camber will be the result because of the geometry of the suspension. ..they are designed to decrease camber as the suspension travels upward and increase camber as is travels down to provide better tire to ground contact during aggressive corning when the car starts to roll to the outside of the turn. .. like I said I could be wrong. its all stuff I've read and it makes sense to me but I could've read false information.

Kmac, I've read more bad than good on your product but I know how it works. You can have 100 happy customers and no one knows about it but one unhappy customer tells everyone. Maybe they aren't installing the stuff correctly, who knows. All I know is your product sounds awesome and want to give it a shot but was wondering if you offer any kind of customer satisfaction guarantee. The thread that stands out the most is the one where the guy said they squeaked like crazy and they wouldn't stay tight. He says he ended up going to back to stock bushings and dealing with tire wear because he was so unhappy. I don't want to go down that same path. What can you do to make this purchase not feel like such a gamble

Re Customer satisfaction guarantee - yes with K-MAC we certainly offer 28 day money back guarantee on our products.

We've been manufacturing front and rear Camber, Caster, Toe adjuster kits longer then anyone else (over 40 years now).

Catering for the trend over last 20 years worldwide of majority of new car manufacturers deleting adjustment facility, other then toe. Fitting of wide profile tires, altering height or simply curb knock hits, can mean adjustment capability is essential to return vehicle to factory specs.

The actual front and rear kit designs to suit all Mercedes models have been making now for 20 years so they are well and truly proven (providing like any suspension component - nuts are tight).

Our success with product durability (and design innovations ) would have to come down to our strong involvement in motor racing. Where loads and stresses in all out 10/10ths competition are far beyond what is experienced by average drivers or the occasional weekend racer.

We have situations where race car safety scrutineers, on examining suspension failures race meeting after meeting, will then stipulate that K-MAC and only K-MAC brand adjustable bushes in future for safety/strength will be allowed to be used.

Another reason for success is (and our pride in having) "in-house" manufacture. Not sourcing cheap imports and simply relabelling.

This combination of race track proving and advantage of "in-house" manufacture means besides having total control over quality, improvements learnt, can be rapidly implemented, in our production line.

Problem at K-MAC, is yes we do open ourselves to controversy and its because unlike many other suppliers we do not "sit on the fence".

Instead we are constantly out their designing, innovating. Having over 20 patents - probably more than all other adjuster kit companies combined (there are 6 basic suspension designs and as per our web site have unique patents for all 6).

But going where know one else has been. . . for instance wheel alignment shops for last 40 years were used to fitting a adjuster kit bush in a certain position to gain a set degree of adjustment. Then labour intensive removal and insertion if a different degree required. We then invent and patent a bush that can be inserted in any position (3 o'clock, 9 o'clock it does not matter) and by use of a single wrench on the bolt head - rotated to the precise degree of adjustment required.

But after 40 years of doing the above one way - the alignment shop frustration when they say to the customer K-MAC has neglected to advise what position to insert!

Then once they get their head around "its simplicity of use". Realising what a great time saver it is to rapidly obtain precise adjustment with no reinsertion required.

Same with our patented top strut mount adjusters for BMW and virtually every strut top suspension - Biggest range and quickest to adjust. Yet "hey its different from everyone else" - but its part of ground breaking innovation, new ideas. . . Yes it creates controversy!

Pricing see http://K-mac.com/mercedes/ also web site
fedex $70 one kit or $85 font and rear (USA/Canada).

K-Mac
Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by K-Mac
Front and Rear kits are $480each. FedEx is $70 one kit or $85 front and rear.

If you can put together a group buy of 5 or more kits (2 and a half vehicles) we can get FedEx price down to $35 each kit and with actual kit price from $480 to $410.

Saving of $170 for a front and rear kit. Remember, FedEx delivery would be to one delivery point.
I'm in for the group buy front and rear. That makes 2 kits, only needs 3 more.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM

CLS55 AMG
K-Mac. I too am in the same boat with the HORRIBLE tire wear in the front. This is my 3rd set of tires in less than 1yr. (i think im lowered on links. bought her used so i have no idea) Do you have some before and after pics of install , and or the setup installed.

-BREAK-
To everyone else , what do the links look like...? I purchased my CLS55 used and have no idea what the links look like. Before i start dropping cash id like to make sure. (sorry to thread jack OP )
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM

W212 E250 BT 4M
http://www.ghostmotorsports.com/products/view/216
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM

CLS55 AMG
thanks Tampa !
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 AM

E350 4matic, Porsche Cayenne S
I think I'm in too. But I am located at ORegon state. I have my car lowered with LINK and my rear tires worn up in 2 months.
So, K-MAc will your stuff help me to solve this problem?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Count me in. I need these soon. It's almost time for the spring thaw, and more tires!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Looks like now enough members to finally get on top of that costly premature inner edge tire wear by having precise/ongoing front and rear Camber, Caster, Toe adjustment facility for the first time!

The bulk buy order means Fedex delivery to one address then having to resend on to the individual members.

To further simplify - instead new promotional offer (until 31st March 2014) is free Fedex delivery (direct to each USA/Canada) member $465US one kit (saving $85) or Front and Rear kit $890US (saving of $155)

So get those orders coming in and be able to return vehicle to factory specs after altering height, fitting wide profile tires or curb knock damage.

We accept Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.

Fedex delivery averages 3 to 4 days.

Last edited by K-Mac; 02-25-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
oops, I missed that one address delivery part.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
oops, I missed that one address delivery part.

Instead of bulk delivery to one participant - then that person having to resend the individual orders to other purchasers.

To simplify/make it easier, K-MAC/Fedex send each order direct to each purchaser!!

NOTE: This special promotional product discount and freight discount offer is for the month of March 2014 only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to fix the negative camber on a Lowered CLS 55???