2006 CLS55 AMG Modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Last mods of the year!

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've made any posts on here regarding the car, I've installed my own custom designed belt wrap kit as well as my own custom designed 77mm fixed pulley setup. I purchased Bosch 550cc injectors and their electrical adapters and installed them at the same time (end of august). I had Eurocharged tune the car for the 77mm fixed pulley, and fuel injectors and also did a TCU tune at the same time. The car is insanely fast, it lights the 305 rear tires with ease, it broke them loose at 100km/h (60mph) without trying.

The beltwrap kit is performing extremely well, no issues whatsoever. The pulley is clean, fits well and looks great. The supercharger whines like crazy, easily the best mods I've done to the car.

After about 2 months of driving the car, I brought it to Eurocharged Canada for a dyno run. The car made consistent power after each of the 5 runs, it maxed out at 500rwhp and 617rwtq. I was really impressed with the numbers considering I drove the car to their shop in stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes. So the car of course would have made higher numbers provided it was cooler. I wanted realistic numbers because on the streets you aren't going to pull over on the highway before a race and say "gimme a sec, let me load up on some ice and see how I do". I wanted realistic numbers and throughout each run, the car was within 1-2hp and within 10ft-lbs of torque. It showed no signs of slowing down or power loss after each run. I suppose the split cooling deserves its recognition.

Onto Pics:

Fixed pulley installed with beltwrap kit.

This is the weight of the pulley before cutting the pulley grooves, so I think the weight came down to almost exactly 1lb even.

Final product after anodizing and laser engraving my logo.

PM me for details on the fixed pulley or belt wrap kit.

Thanks,
Peter
PDG Performance.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Nicely done man.
How do you like the Eurocharged tune?

I hated the fixed pulley tune when I had my 55. It was really no bueno. Have you ever logged it?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MTV10
Nicely done man.
How do you like the Eurocharged tune?

I hated the fixed pulley tune when I had my 55. It was really no bueno. Have you ever logged it?
I don't have any data logging equipment, but I'm curious to know why you didn't like it..

I think the tune is pretty solid, there's one slight issue with the tune that I have. When stopped at a light, light throttle from 1st to 2nd gear is okay, but theres a surge that happens momentarily and it disappears until you stop the car and start driving again. Aside from that surge, I think the tune is amazing.

I've had the car re-tuned because I thought maybe some random glitch happened while tuning. so I drove the car found the surge and had the re-tune done. initially, the surge was gone, I thought perfect, the tune is perfect, until about the time the car was into "readiness" or until it was done it's adaptations, that's when the surge returned. If I want the surge to go away (for about 60-70kms of driving) I can disconnect the battery and reconnect it, but it's not worth the hassle.

I can make the surge happen when I want it to, I've learned how to "tame it" and that way I can simply make it happen and continue driving without a worry.

Thanks,
Pete.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:11 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Hey all, I've attempted using the search tools of this forum and I cant seem to find what I'm looking for.

I am looking for some advice when it comes to oil catch can systems. I've been debating on the idea to install one on my car for some time now, and since the car is hibernating from the cold I figured this might be a good time to work on an idea. I've recently purchased a monster TIG welder with a water-cooled torch setup and made myself a welding cart. I plan on making my own catch can so that i can machine the parts and make it the way I want it.

I see a few different ways just searching on google with regards to how to run the lines...

What I know for sure:

the two valve covers have smaller upper covers. the passenger side has one barbed fitting, where as the drivers side has two. The passenger side links to the drivers side larger barbed fitting and they "T" into the throttle body. the smaller one on the drivers side enters the intake setup.

When installing a catch can, the two large barbed fitting lines will run directly to the catch can.

This is where things become grey...

The throttle body "T" section. can this hole simply be capped off? Ideally, i want nothing going back into the engine that's going to hurt performance (ie. oil mist from crankcase). The smaller hose that connects to the intake on the drivers side. can this also be routed simply to the catch can? If I have an "open loop" system with a small breather filter on top of the catch can, this will allow for fresh air to enter when the crank case is under vacuum (I believe this is what the hose that connects to the intake tract does) and while the crankcase is under pressure, the pressure will be relieved through the small breather filter as well.

If the small line on the drivers side can simply be re-routed into the catch can system, I can simply block off the port on my intake pipe with a rubber plug and clamp.

Will the port on the throttle body being capped off cause any issues?

The car just broke the 121,000km mark (75,000miles) would it be a good idea to pull the supercharger off and clean the intercooler out? some say they have a mess of oil in there....

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Awesome job on the new fixed pulley. Any pics on the belt wrap kit you going on. As far as the catch can idea, I got nothing to add to the purpose of your catch can mod other than I am not a fan of it. However do share what route you take. Gl
Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
55K Belt Wrap Kit

Originally Posted by C32owner
Awesome job on the new fixed pulley. Any pics on the belt wrap kit you going on. As far as the catch can idea, I got nothing to add to the purpose of your catch can mod other than I am not a fan of it. However do share what route you take. Gl
Hey man,

thanks for the response, as well as thanks for the applause on the fabrication of my own parts. Last time I got in trouble for posting the belt wrap kits because I'm not a vendor. I will post pictures of the belt wrap kit which I MAY or may not have 6 kits left...

The whole kit, all bolts, spacers, pulley and bracketry.

How it should look when installed on the car.

Currently the only installed picture I have, I was waaayy too excited to take pictures because I wanted to drive it asap.

Those are the only pictures I have currently, and apologize if the quality isn't great, they are cell phone pictures after all. I plan to take some really nice pictures with my big Nikon D7100 and new 50mm lens. In all honesty, the belt wrap kit works, the car has seen about 750kms or so since the installation and I've eased up on the tensioner to feel the bearings on the belt wrap pulley and they still feel absolutely perfect. I will continue to post updates as the miles count up come next spring, but the car has been parked for just over a month, typical Canadian Winters here.

As for the catch can systems, I am "for" them instead of being opposed to them. I have that engineering knack always working in the back of my head and anything that I feel shouldn't be there that will ultimately hinder performance in any way I will modify and alter to ensure perfect working order or conditions are met. Burnt oil mist re-entering the intake tract will become consumed, and as we all know it reduces our octane levels in an already hot engine causing more knock, more timing pull and ultimately less power.

To each their own I suppose. I hope to get an answer regarding the valve cover breather hose that is connected to the intake hose and the throttle body inlet, whether that can be blocked off or not.

Merry Christmas to all!
Pete
Old 02-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi S4 B7
C32 Amg From Tbilisi, Georgia
C32 Amg vs CLS55 AMG, Dyno Test, Acceleration and Sound, Tuning From VTTT Performance.
CLS55 AMG (Stock)(Jonson Water Pump) - 476PS (469HP)

C32 AMG Tuned 331WHP and 460WNM on Low Boost:
Mods:
66mm S/C Pulley
ECU TUNE
TCU TUNE
2nd Upraged Intercooler
Bosch 010 Water Pump
K&N Air Filters With Custom Intake
Old 06-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Rub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350
A great work... Nice car... What pressures do you give to the wheels 20"? I want put wheels 20", 255 30 r20 front and 285 25 r20 rear and I don't know the pressures.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by Rub
A great work... Nice car... What pressures do you give to the wheels 20"? I want put wheels 20", 255 30 r20 front and 285 25 r20 rear and I don't know the pressures.
I have 20" and 40 for tires pressure. My tires are 255/30/20 and 295/25/20. I don't really like the ride because of very low profile tires. I will try 295/30 in my next set.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Rub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350
Thanks for your answer.
I have lose comfort too but it has a good look.