C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Please talk me out of it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550

Hey everybody, so im going through a massive indecisive period in my life regarding AMG. Long story short, I wanted to buy a E55/cls55 for about 20 to 25k. The problem is I'm still in college, and some of the fine members of this site have given me some valid reasons to stay away from a 55 series car. At first I tried to heed the warning, telling myself: "this car is gonna be too much maintenance, if a big ticket item decides to take a dump, how will I deal with it", blah blah blah, Basically trying to talk myself out of it, but I just can't seem to find a car that is as mesmerizing as the e55/cls55 (power wise anyway). I drove my friends [2013]5.0 mustang, while it was quick, the interior was complete trash, plus I couldn't sit inside comfortably. Then i test drive a 2009 335i, the one with n54 engine, nice car and all, but was lacking in power. I could do a tune and all that jazz to it, but it still won't give me more power than a 5.0. I'm honestly trying to find another car that will be cheaper to fix incase something breaks, but I keep coming back to the 55 series cars. I honestly am trying, but the heart wants what it wants, even though the wallet might not agree. Anyway, are these cars really that unreliable that a college student wouldn't be able to afford it? Please guys talk me out of It....
Old 09-27-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
I don't think being in college is as big as of a concern but more so your current financial means. If you're a full time student who only works part time (if that) then these cars probably aren't for you. You don't want to be stressing about student loans, getting a decent job during/after college & then paying for a car that you can't afford - you won't enjoy the car. I bought my car 4 years ago when I was 21 in college. But I was a business owner for 3 years prior to that and had a finance job lined up directly out of college, therefore affording the car was not a major concern of mine. Point is, each persons situations varies & you need to make sure you won't be doing something you regret. As for the car - I never had a warranty & the most expensive thing I had to replace was a window regulator ($250).
Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bob2011
Hey everybody, so im going through a massive indecisive period in my life regarding AMG. Long story short, I wanted to buy a E55/cls55 for about 20 to 25k. The problem is I'm still in college, and some of the fine members of this site have given me some valid reasons to stay away from a 55 series car. At first I tried to heed the warning, telling myself: "this car is gonna be too much maintenance, if a big ticket item decides to take a dump, how will I deal with it", blah blah blah, Basically trying to talk myself out of it, but I just can't seem to find a car that is as mesmerizing as the e55/cls55 (power wise anyway). I drove my friends [2013]5.0 mustang, while it was quick, the interior was complete trash, plus I couldn't sit inside comfortably. Then i test drive a 2009 335i, the one with n54 engine, nice car and all, but was lacking in power. I could do a tune and all that jazz to it, but it still won't give me more power than a 5.0. I'm honestly trying to find another car that will be cheaper to fix incase something breaks, but I keep coming back to the 55 series cars. I honestly am trying, but the heart wants what it wants, even though the wallet might not agree. Anyway, are these cars really that unreliable that a college student wouldn't be able to afford it? Please guys talk me out of It....

I have had my e55 Amg for 5 years. I love the car but wow I must tell you I drove that car like no tomorrow. I beat on that car everywhere. I'll tell you I spent a lot I was 19 when I bought that car I paid it in full my gosh isn't it hard to maintain when you have a hard foot. I definitely do not recommend this car if you have a heavy foot and a part time job. I spend on avg 3-5$ thousand a year on maintenance/repair and drove 90K miles in the 5 years. this year I settled down as my new years resolution and I haven't even punched it once in almost 10 months and haven't spent a dime on fixing it since. I rememberIt how embarrassing it was when I was in school and my baby broke down toll truck and rental and $$$$ not reliable. My fuel pumps brunt out when i went on a road trip $2K the stealership charged me. I even broke the oil pan once horror just take it easy and buy a Hyundai or Toyota I bought a Hyundai elantra and love it. I still drive my Benz but the Hyundai is more reliable. I hope this helps I really regret buying it and hate the money that was wasted
Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by Flo1989
I don't think being in college is as big as of a concern but more so your current financial means. If you're a full time student who only works part time (if that) then these cars probably aren't for you. You don't want to be stressing about student loans, getting a decent job during/after college & then paying for a car that you can't afford - you won't enjoy the car. I bought my car 4 years ago when I was 21 in college. But I was a business owner for 3 years prior to that and had a finance job lined up directly out of college, therefore affording the car was not a major concern of mine. Point is, each persons situations varies & you need to make sure you won't be doing something you regret. As for the car - I never had a warranty & the most expensive thing I had to replace was a window regulator ($250).
Unfortunately I'm not doing a part time job anymore, I'm only a full time student. I have about 30k saved up, but I'm guessing that's not gonna be enough to buy and maintenance the e55/cls55. :/ bummer. I appreciate the input though.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 PM

2011 E550

Originally Posted by E55AMG05
I have had my e55 Amg for 5 years. I love the car but wow I must tell you I drove that car like no tomorrow. I beat on that car everywhere. I'll tell you I spent a lot I was 19 when I bought that car I paid it in full my gosh isn't it hard to maintain when you have a hard foot. I definitely do not recommend this car if you have a heavy foot and a part time job. I spend on avg 3-5$ thousand a year on maintenance/repair and drove 90K miles in the 5 years. this year I settled down as my new years resolution and I haven't even punched it once in almost 10 months and haven't spent a dime on fixing it since. I rememberIt how embarrassing it was when I was in school and my baby broke down toll truck and rental and $$$$ not reliable. My fuel pumps brunt out when i went on a road trip $2K the stealership charged me. I even broke the oil pan once horror just take it easy and buy a Hyundai or Toyota I bought a Hyundai elantra and love it. I still drive my Benz but the Hyundai is more reliable. I hope this helps I really regret buying it and hate the money that was wasted
Sorry to hear you had that many issues with the car. I already drive a E550, but I'm looking for a bit more power to be honest. And I thought that the m113k was the perfect way for me to achieve the power goals that I wanted. Though I don't plan to thrash the E55, it is going to by my DD. But from the responses I'm getting, it still might not be in my best interest. thanks for the input.

Last edited by bob2011; 09-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I know what you have, you have that desire man, it's a tough one to nail down......

I see you're already driving a nice Benz, I know because I had one like that too. I'd say use this fuel for your fire, work hard in school, finish up, find some work in your field and or special, and then get the AMG you really want....it might rain on the parade to always be in need of a good wrench-man for your AMG...just a thought, good luck man
Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I know what you have, you have that desire man, it's a tough one to nail down......

I see you're already driving a nice Benz, I know because I had one like that too. I'd say use this fuel for your fire, work hard in school, finish up, find some work in your field and or special, and then get the AMG you really want....it might rain on the parade to always be in need of a good wrench-man for your AMG...just a thought, good luck man
You hit the nail right on the head hyperion, I have this itch, and it just doesn't seem to go away. But you are right, maybe it will be wiser for me to finish up school first, and then get into the benz I really want to get into. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350-totaled 8-5-15
Don't scratch that itch, slap it.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by MaMaChup
Don't scratch that itch, slap it.
Lol that maybe the best way to handle this goddamn itch.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
that's true too, take a chance and throw caution to the wind you only live once
make sure to post up some pix when it's done
Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Are you worried about maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluids, etc) or repairs (alternator, battery, bushings, window regulators, supercharger bearings, etc). If the later, just get an aftermarket warranty. I paid $2700 for 3 year/45k miles. Another guy here said he paid about $3500 for 5 yr/50k miles. If its more about the $1000 in brake pads and rotors, or the $120 in materials for oil change then I would definitely skip the purchase.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 PM

12 CLS 500
Bro,,for that price range and considering your current status as a full time student,,As much as it itches,,stay away from them,,as previous members stated,,maintaining an AMG isnt cheap,,HOWEVER,,you want power and reliable car to drive around,,09+ CTS V will be a good choice,,I have owned a 2010 cts v for a year and a half,,it was cheap to mod,,a supercharger pulley, air intake,catback exhaust and a tune,,easy 540 hp at the wheel,,It is fun to drive,,interior is good,,the only thing I spent on the car beside the mods is oil change, gas and tires (note: only becuase I have a heavy foot, I had to replace my rear tires) ,yep not a single dime in anything else. you can check what i have done with it in instagram: Ahmedfk86
I hope that helped
You might wanna consider an Ls3 c6 corvette,,camaro ss,,(only if you are looking for power cause gm built an engine only and forgot about everything else in the car)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by SoSleek
Are you worried about maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluids, etc) or repairs (alternator, battery, bushings, window regulators, supercharger bearings, etc). If the later, just get an aftermarket warranty. I paid $2700 for 3 year/45k miles. Another guy here said he paid about $3500 for 5 yr/50k miles. If its more about the $1000 in brake pads and rotors, or the $120 in materials for oil change then I would definitely skip the purchase.
Yes it's more about repairs, than it is about maintenance. I would love a warranty, but is hard to get a warranty for these cars. The brake pads and oil changes once or twice a year wouldn't phase me too much.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by CLS 6.3
Bro,,for that price range and considering your current status as a full time student,,As much as it itches,,stay away from them,,as previous members stated,,maintaining an AMG isnt cheap,,HOWEVER,,you want power and reliable car to drive around,,09+ CTS V will be a good choice,,I have owned a 2010 cts v for a year and a half,,it was cheap to mod,,a supercharger pulley, air intake,catback exhaust and a tune,,easy 540 hp at the wheel,,It is fun to drive,,interior is good,,the only thing I spent on the car beside the mods is oil change, gas and tires (note: only becuase I have a heavy foot, I had to replace my rear tires) ,yep not a single dime in anything else. you can check what i have done with it in instagram: Ahmedfk86
I hope that helped
You might wanna consider an Ls3 c6 corvette,,camaro ss,,(only if you are looking for power cause gm built an engine only and forgot about everything else in the car)
CTS V is super nice, unfortunately it's out of my price range. Camero has decent power, but it's not forced induction, so I won't get much more power with a tune or anything. Corvette is kinda blah
Old 09-29-2015, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
W212 E550 is pretty fast. I don't know why people keep saying E55K or CLS55 are not reliable but they are pretty good to me. I have my 06 E55K for almost 7 years. Bought it when 3 years old (not cheap back then) with 39 months Ext warranty. A lot of things they did not really cover so not worth it. I have spent less than $4K in repair and maintenance in almost 7 years. Don't compare to Camry or Accord ! But it's about the same as your E550.

- Engine mount $400
- Water pump $600
- Battery $200 both front and rear battery
- CPS $120
- Transmission conduct plate $1K (include Tranny service)
- Spark plugs $300
- All belts $100
- 4 tires $1K
- Flush all fluid $150 (5 years ago)
- Oil changes/ air filter change.
- Need brake soon ($450)
- Airmatic ==> nothing went wrong yet but if goes bad, I will do Coilver conversion for about $2K

If you take your car to dealer, then this will double the cost easily but if you have a good independent mechanic is should be fine. All this is based on my own experience. Of course, my car is always in garage day time and night time. SoCal never really rain and I don't beat up my car as other mentioned.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
W212 E550 is pretty fast. I don't know why people keep saying E55K or CLS55 are not reliable but they are pretty good to me. I have my 06 E55K for almost 7 years. Bought it when 3 years old (not cheap back then) with 39 months Ext warranty. A lot of things they did not really cover so not worth it. I have spent less than $4K in repair and maintenance in almost 7 years. Don't compare to Camry or Accord ! But it's about the same as your E550.

- Engine mount $400
- Water pump $600
- Battery $200 both front and rear battery
- CPS $120
- Transmission conduct plate $1K (include Tranny service)
- Spark plugs $300
- All belts $100
- 4 tires $1K
- Flush all fluid $150 (5 years ago)
- Oil changes/ air filter change.
- Need brake soon ($450)
- Airmatic ==> nothing went wrong yet but if goes bad, I will do Coilver conversion for about $2K

If you take your car to dealer, then this will double the cost easily but if you have a good independent mechanic is should be fine. All this is based on my own experience. Of course, my car is always in garage day time and night time. SoCal never really rain and I don't beat up my car as other mentioned.
I have to agree The E550 is no slouch, hell it's a rocket compared to 90 percent of cars. But I want something with a Wee bit more power, and the 113k is the perfect engine to fulfill my needs, its just that I hear so many horror stories of things that need to be repaired and what not, it's throwing me off. But hearing the other side of things, like you described charly, it gives me hope that I JUST might be OK if I buy a m113k AMG. 4k in seven years sounds right about where my E550 will cost in about 3 more years, totaling 7 years so honestly it doesn't phase me too much, its just I'm scared of like the airmatic taking a dump, or the Tranny blowing, and just the smaller electric gremlins. The maintenance isn't too bad. Regarding the indy, I really don't have any relationships with anyone at a indy shop to tell you the truth, but I heard some really good things about benzworks in Huntington Beach, guy named serge I think. So if I do buy a AMG, I will most likely be taking it over there.

Thanks for the input Charly.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 PM

2011 E550
that's true too, take a chance and throw caution to the wind you only live once
make sure to post up some pix when it's done
Haha yolo right!? (Please don't hate me for saying yolo, I know it's stupid as hell) if I do indeed buy a AMG, il post pics for sure!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:01 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
no worries man, I don't know what it means..........ignorance is bliss
Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 PM

2011 E550
no worries man, I don't know what it means..........ignorance is bliss
LMFAO!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
I'd recommend not buying an AMG for sure, in fact if I had some solid mother****in advice for ya it would be to sell the E550 as well, and buy a 5k$ beater. something reliable , good on gas and cheap to fix. Save the money pit toys for when you're done with school, got a job that pays enough to survive on, and you've got $$ to burn.

Once you scratch that itch , it never goes away , it spreads. They're never fast enough!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
I know I'm going to alone in saying this but I say go for it and throw caution to the wind while you can. I understand that financially it could be a bad situation but at the same time you're young and it doesn't matter. You get in over your head with it take out a "student loan" at 2% interest rate and you're back in the game and you can hang on to a low interest loan for a long time without any worries.
I'm a financial advisor by trade so this goes against what I would probably tell a client but it's what I would do in your shoes.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 AM

2007 CLS63 AMG
I just bought a CLS 63 AMG with 100k on the clock.....it goes a treat. Faster that my 911! But I have had to change the batteries.....in the key!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM

s65
Take the S63 and set it next to the Tesla. Drive them both back to back. Go SLOW on a bumpy road, try the highway hit some corners accelerate ect. Now ask yourself can my girlfriend and her friend sit comfortable back there and do makeup? What does the ride feel like? I did this. P100D is great if you like to charge batteries, dont like 2k watts of bass and loud music...How hard is it to keep a charge on a phone in your life? Gas is so simple huh...

PERSONALLY....The S offers so much more. The Tesla autodrive is awesome....suspension not so much. Park them Side by side like I did and follow your gut. Like TV shopping: They are all great when you have no comparison. Good Luck
Old 04-12-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Wow this wasn't a super old thread, but old nonetheless