Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes CLS55
HELP PLEASE!!! AMG stutters and dies when accelerate

2006 CLS55 AMG 77K mileage

Let's first start...

...here. I got a brand new battery last Friday from the dealership because the car has been sitting there for a year w/ a dead battery but the battery was still under warranty so jumped it and took it to the dealership, they tested the car and they replaced it for free. Drove 20 mins (highway & inside road) to go eat, on the way home, out of no where my car just stuttered and died on me. Strange! But I was very low on gas, wouldn't think it's because of that but MAYBE. Put it back to PARK and restarted the car and CEL came on. Car started right up, no funny noises and engine sounds perfectly normal. Drove to a near by gas station pumped half a tank and got home no problem. CEL was still on.

3 hours later decided to go out to meet some friends. Car started and no CEL light. Car drove perfectly fine up until last night (4 days later). On the way home the car stuttered and died AGAIN!!! Reserve Fuel warning came on on the way home but it's not completely empty? Went to pump gas again but this time the car kept dying, so it's not the gas? Only 5 mins away from home i did not want to call a tow truck since it's late but i figured out if I can keep the acceleration steady and at a low speed, <20mph, the car will not die. (CEL light is ON the entire time fyi)

Made it home going 15 - 19mph, parked the car and decided to rev the car up too see if it going to die and it did. Did some research and people are saying maybe there's a clog somewhere or bad Crank Position Sensor? Car starts perfectly fine EVERY TIME and engine sounds perfectly fine, it only died when I accelerate FYI.

This morning went out to check out the car, CEL light is off and i drove to my friend's mechanic shop no problem. I told my friend to go ahead and get a brand new OEM Crank Position Sensor and Cam Sensor for it.

So WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? Any inputs will help, thanks in advance.

IMPORTANT note: The car has been sitting for a year. Prior to sitting there for a year, new oil was replaced and I did change the Crank Position Sensor purchased from Orielly because car would not start (just click click click) after driving and have to wait couple hours for it to start.

Sorry ENGLISH is my second language so I hope it doesn't hurt everyone's brain reading this.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Start with a Bosch CPS, then try to get the codes read and see what is throwing the CEL.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
See if there is pressure to the fuel rail. Might be a problem with ur fuel sender or fuel pumps.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
When your car stutters and dies, what are you doing at that exact moment?

My car sounds like it does the exact same thing, but it doesn't completely shut down. CEL light is on and the car doesn't pick up and go as it would normally. Engine revs but the acceleration at all. This happens if I stomped on the pedal to pass or just wanted to go fast it would stutter and lose engine power. My indy changed some sensor but I forgot which, looking for the paperwork but I can't find that either lol.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM

E-Class
I just read your title and found my paperwork.

Alright so during acceleration you lose power and your car dies. Mine does not completely shut down as the engine is still running and I could still move my vehicle at city speeds.

It does not specify what my indy changed exactly, but on the invoice it shows "customer to have accel pedal replaced", obviously the guy just wrote that up and let his mechanic go at it. I can only assume its the acceleration pedal sensor. I can dig a little deeper if you need and ask him to show me parts.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 PM

E-Class
Well he called me to ask if I wanted to do transmission service so I asked him to pull up my records.

Parts for my 2005 S55 to fix engine sputtering during acceleration: # 220 300 03 04

A quick google search shows parts for either W219 or W211 as #171 300 03 04