Burning 1qrt every 500 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 PM

Location: Vicenza Italy - Wuerzburg Germany - Ft. Knox Kentucky
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
Burning 1qrt every 500 miles

Engine has 60k and I am trying to figure out why I am eating so much oil on my 2006 CLS 55AMG. No leaks anywhere and I only see a puff of smoke on startup. My exhaust tips get pretty black pretty, quick after I clean them. I had one shop tell me I need a new engine, but that was without pulling the heads. I just can't accept that an engine with just 60K on it would need to be replaced and especially a Mercedes. I am not as engine savvy as I should be and could really use some suggestions as to where to start looking.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Shouldn't be any smoke on startup.

Here's the order you want to check in: Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, compression test for the rings. You can burn a lot of oil with those two and have it smoke off before it "leaks" on to the street.

If you take the car out on to a deserted street, have someone watch the tailpipes and give it a LOT of gas. If you see blue smoke, it's rings. If you see smoke out of the pipes in general, it's more likely internal than a bad leak from say valve cover/head gaskets or a severely leaking rear main seal.

You're using Mobil 1 synthetic yes?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Location: Vicenza Italy - Wuerzburg Germany - Ft. Knox Kentucky
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
Shouldn't be any smoke on startup.

Here's the order you want to check in: Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, compression test for the rings. You can burn a lot of oil with those two and have it smoke off before it "leaks" on to the street.

If you take the car out on to a deserted street, have someone watch the tailpipes and give it a LOT of gas. If you see blue smoke, it's rings. If you see smoke out of the pipes in general, it's more likely internal than a bad leak from say valve cover/head gaskets or a severely leaking rear main seal.

You're using Mobil 1 synthetic yes?
Yeah Mobil 1 Synthetic. It's what's recommended right?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
My CLS55 doesn't have any white smoke startup but it consume some oil too.
I changed oil about 5K miles in about 1 year, and only had 5qt left in the engine. Also no leak in anywhere. This engine just consume some oil.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS400
check Head gasket / oil pan gasket see if you have a leak
Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
First off, remove the engine cover and check for leaking valve covers. They are known to leak. Then get under the car and remove the covers below the engine and transmission. See if the lower engine cover is wet with oil, and if the area where the engine and transmission meet is wet from oil. The rear main seal is a common leak source. You don't see any oil on the ground , where you park the car, because the under carriage cover catches the leaking oil. Losing 1qt every 500 miles is alot. If your burning that much, you would see it in the exhaust {blue smoke}. A little puff when you first start the engine is not that unusual. Have someone follow behind you and give her some heavy throttle. If the person following you sees blue smoke, there is some internal engine issue. You may consider a compression test. Black deposits {soot} on the tail pipes is a indication of fuel mixture issues, running too rich. You would also see black smoke. So you either have a leaking gasket or seal somewhere, or bad piston rings, bad valve seals, internal issues with the motor. You shouldn't have any internal issues at 60K miles. My guess is a leak. Your not seeing oil on the ground, because the oil is caught by the covers under the car. Take the lower covers off and let us know what you found.

Last edited by hvacdude; 03-25-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
Im having the same problem too, a little smoke on startup and tips get dirty real quick. Ive done the rear main seal and my valve covers are slightly seeping not leaking. Tech told me that it was my valve seals not just the covers.

It munches oil if i drive it hard and rev it through the gears. Just cruising doesn't burn oil.

Il report back once the job is done to hoping it gets fixed.