Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
A/C blows hot then cold then hot

Hello folks,

2009 CLS63 all original

I've been having some problems ever since I bought the car which most have been fixed but the last two issues remain.

This post is about my A/C not working as expected but I also have the dreaded P228f Fuel pressure learning limits - too high. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

So from a cold start, A/C does not blow cold until either car is fully warmed up (80c) or I've been driving for 10 minutes. There is no exact time frame as to how long because I can warm the car up for 20 minutes and A/C still won't blow cold until the car starts to drive even then it till take who knows how long. Once it starts blowing cold it's immediate as if I turned on the compressor deliberately but it's always been on. Usually every time I come to a stop or go from driving an AMG to driving in traffic (lol) it also stops blowing cold. Eventually after some random time of driving it will start blowing cold again and if I come to a stop it usually stops blowing cold again. From what I see in the drivers seat, everything works perfectly such as controls, auto-A/C, Auto-fans and circulation, the system knows it's hot and blows all the hot air at you at full force then when A/C kicks in I'll put it on auto and let it do the rest so to my conclusion everything works fine but the air blowing cold is hit and miss, predictable even.

I have verified that the fans on the radiator spin up and even at different speeds as I increase the A/C in the cabin like if I put it at full blast the fans at the radiator will spin loudly. Mind you I'm in Texas and it's really freaking hot. When the A/C stops blowing cold I could easily tell because I can smell it, there is a very strong smell coming from the vents like mildew or stale air or like a weird gas and it stops immediately as soon as cold air starts coming in. I really don't know why or where it comes from but I'm literally going insane and if I don't fix my A/C soon now that we're in summer... I'm going to set it on cruise control and run my self over..

Any help or stories of similar experiences are appreciated, I am mechanically inclined so I can fix it my self if it's a sensor or fuse/relay.

Last edited by ace.jay; 06-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:08 PM

2009 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
I would like to add, I have been noticing now that the fans are not turning on when I have the A/C on. So it seems a sensor is bad because it's preventing the A/C from starting!
Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 AM

CLS 550
Mine does this, did u find the fix???
Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 AM

CLS55;S63;W12;F450
Originally Posted by ace.jay
Hello folks,

2009 CLS63 all original

I've been having some problems ever since I bought the car which most have been fixed but the last two issues remain.

This post is about my A/C not working as expected but I also have the dreaded P228f Fuel pressure learning limits - too high. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

So from a cold start, A/C does not blow cold until either car is fully warmed up (80c) or I've been driving for 10 minutes. There is no exact time frame as to how long because I can warm the car up for 20 minutes and A/C still won't blow cold until the car starts to drive even then it till take who knows how long. Once it starts blowing cold it's immediate as if I turned on the compressor deliberately but it's always been on. Usually every time I come to a stop or go from driving an AMG to driving in traffic (lol) it also stops blowing cold. Eventually after some random time of driving it will start blowing cold again and if I come to a stop it usually stops blowing cold again. From what I see in the drivers seat, everything works perfectly such as controls, auto-A/C, Auto-fans and circulation, the system knows it's hot and blows all the hot air at you at full force then when A/C kicks in I'll put it on auto and let it do the rest so to my conclusion everything works fine but the air blowing cold is hit and miss, predictable even.

I have verified that the fans on the radiator spin up and even at different speeds as I increase the A/C in the cabin like if I put it at full blast the fans at the radiator will spin loudly. Mind you I'm in Texas and it's really freaking hot. When the A/C stops blowing cold I could easily tell because I can smell it, there is a very strong smell coming from the vents like mildew or stale air or like a weird gas and it stops immediately as soon as cold air starts coming in. I really don't know why or where it comes from but I'm literally going insane and if I don't fix my A/C soon now that we're in summer... I'm going to set it on cruise control and run my self over..

Any help or stories of similar experiences are appreciated, I am mechanically inclined so I can fix it my self if it's a sensor or fuse/relay.
Mine was blowing cold in the front and hot in the back when both where set to cold in changed the thermostat and it was fixed
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM

CLS 550
I took it to an A/C diagnostic place and he said it was the compressor.. mine does the same exact thing as you jay