C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

About to purchase a 150K mi CLS55 - Need advice please

Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
About to purchase a 150K mi CLS55 - Need advice please

Hi everyone-

New here and to the MB world.

I'm extremely interested in purchasing a very high miles CL555. I've been doing alot of research into and and though it does need some repairs... Front Strut, ABS Light, SRS Light. I don't think it's anything major yet.

Any advice for a noob with these cars? Any concerns with the miles? Anything I should specifically look out for?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Recommend to perform a thorough PPI which should include a compression test of the cylinders. Also a smog test will reveal how tight the engine is with emissions.

At that mileage I would have concern for the supercharger, catalic converters and the tranny.

Last edited by m_berman; 08-06-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:17 AM

None
Thanks for the insight! Any idea how I can check / test the tranny the best way possible w/o bringing it to a shop? Anything I can look out for during the inspection for a failing tranny?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2005 E55
At that mileage major work will be required on suspension, bushings, accessory drives like PS/AC comp/Alternator & the list goes on. What are your thoughts on buying a car with that much mileage? If it's to save money, I guarantee you'll end up in the "save now, pay later boat"
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by time.
Hi everyone-

I'm extremely interested in purchasing a very high miles CL555. I've been doing alot of research into and and though it does need some repairs... Front Strut, ABS Light, SRS Light. I don't think it's anything major yet.

Any advice for a noob with these cars? Any concerns with the miles? Anything I should specifically look out for?

Thanks in advanced.
If you have the money for the repairs, these cars are pretty expensive to maintain. I have 100K miles on my CLS55, these are the things i have to address right now

I have a leaking radiator, i was quoted by my Benz mechanic just under $1000
I need a brake job $1000, debating on weather i will DIY to save money
I just replaced my front driver airmatic shock DIY, $400 off ebay.
these are some of the common things that will come up, just something to think about.

My W210 E320 doesnt have any issues like my AMG does! lol
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM

CLS 55 AMG
Go for it, 12 yrs old and hasn't lost a step

I have a cls 55 with 119,000. This car is a beast and with proper maintenance should last a long time. The engine and tranny along with the supercharger are hard to kill. Of course things will come up, however a car like this with this type of mileage should be babied and not your everyday commuter car. My thought is 5000 to 7500 miles a year. Good luck and post pics if you pic it up? Wondering how much as well?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Hi everyone-

Thanks in advanced.
Since when is 150k very high mileage? I'd say 250k is very high. As long as the car is in good shape and hasn't been abused it should be fine. At that mileage if it wasn't abused most of the big things are probably already done. I would feel better purchasing a clean 150k mile car than one at 100k when most everything starts to go.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:19 AM

None
It was a crazy deal, I needed a 4 door car... kid on the way. My other vehicles are two doors. I've also always wanted a W219, I think it's one of the classiest looking MB. Great power too.

I ended up picking it up, 154k miles, a decent amount of issues but nothing mechanical I've stumbled on yet. One blown air strut, I don't want to deal with anymore notorious air pump / suspension issues so I'm converting it over to Coils. I actually ended up picking it up for $7k after talking the owner down dramatically. He was also more flexible with me cause, funny enough, we knew alot of the same people in the car world.

I've already purchased a good amount of replacement parts and mods, hopefully that'll be it for now.

Once the project is finalized, I'll let everyone know what the total issues were and how much it took to get the vehicle from point A to B.

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance so far. I'm sincerely hoping 150k isn't actually high and 250k is. That'd be awesome.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
72 corvette, 02 Z06, 06 CLS55
It was a crazy deal, I needed a 4 door car... kid on the way. My other vehicles are two doors. I've also always wanted a W219, I think it's one of the classiest looking MB. Great power too.

I ended up picking it up, 154k miles, a decent amount of issues but nothing mechanical I've stumbled on yet. One blown air strut, I don't want to deal with anymore notorious air pump / suspension issues so I'm converting it over to Coils. I actually ended up picking it up for $7k after talking the owner down dramatically. He was also more flexible with me cause, funny enough, we knew alot of the same people in the car world.

I've already purchased a good amount of replacement parts and mods, hopefully that'll be it for now.

Once the project is finalized, I'll let everyone know what the total issues were and how much it took to get the vehicle from point A to B.

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance so far. I'm sincerely hoping 150k isn't actually high and 250k is. That'd be awesome.
141K and going strong, mine looks like under 50k miles. 150k is nothing on the CLS55. Don't let it scare you, people overblow the cost of ownership.

Mine is also on coils, handles much better than airride and leaves you with no more worries about replacing bags. While your in there I would replace most of the suspension pieces as mentioned above.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM

None
Originally Posted by Jimrowe0
141K and going strong, mine looks like under 50k miles. 150k is nothing on the CLS55. Don't let it scare you, people overblow the cost of ownership.

Mine is also on coils, handles much better than airride and leaves you with no more worries about replacing bags. While your in there I would replace most of the suspension pieces as mentioned above.

Looks great brother!! What coil system did you swap to?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 PM

For what you need get the BC coilovers which are what I have. The KW coils would be nice, but in my opinion aren't necessary for 150k daily.

They are $995 on eBay and several buyers will accept best offer.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 AM

None
Originally Posted by Jimrowe0
For what you need get the BC coilovers which are what I have. The KW coils would be nice, but in my opinion aren't necessary for 150k daily.

They are $995 on eBay and several buyers will accept best offer.
Ok thanks man, one more question. Did you have to replace any specific control arm or other suspension item to have the coils fit? I'm reading on here and some people say yes while others say no.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Rear Lower Control Arm must be switched to E350 W211 chassis rear lower control arm to make coilover fit correctly.

I would put in new control arms, ball joints and links
The following users liked this post:
time. (08-16-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by RRnelcheeze
If you have the money for the repairs, these cars are pretty expensive to maintain. I have 100K miles on my CLS55, these are the things i have to address right now

I have a leaking radiator, i was quoted by my Benz mechanic just under $1000
I need a brake job $1000, debating on weather i will DIY to save money
I just replaced my front driver airmatic shock DIY, $400 off ebay.
these are some of the common things that will come up, just something to think about.

My W210 E320 doesnt have any issues like my AMG does! lol

Radiator is only $600 and i changed 4 brakes rotors and pad for $800
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011

So you paid $7K for the car ??? as long it's clean title, its good deal !
Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 AM

None
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
So you paid $7K for the car ??? as long it's clean title, its good deal !
Yes indeed, I've probably spent about +/- $6,000 so far on it. Once I'm done I'll post up before and after pictures as well as what had to be done. I'm pretty much fixing everything on it, big or small.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:59 AM

1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
If I may, forget the miles. Act like there is no mileage and look at the car. Then look at any records and lastly take the car for a ride, and drive it like you stole it. I own a 55 and I am meticulous about maintenance. Listen for things like a noisy belt system. The pulleys are expensive and even doing it my self cost me almost a grand in parts. Check the SBC system. Have the brake depressions counted with a Star system if you have one. They have a finite number of pedal depressions before the "brake" lights up on your system and you have to replace the SBC unit. I'm doing that myself and I own a Star system but the SBC brake unit alone was 1100.00. Wiring in the back along the trunk line is an issue because the wiring was not run correctly and after so may open and closes the wires break due to metal fatigue and items fail. Not a biggie you just have to splice the wires together and in my case I added extra wires to prevent it from happening again. You can save a fortune if you are handy with a wrench and can read instructions. But if miles is your guide forget it. My S420 had over 320,000 miles before it passed on saving my son in a car accident. It never used a drop of oil and would cruise the turnpike/expressway all day long at 85-90 mph. Good luck with your buy.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
When purchasing do the following:

1. plug in your OBDII and read code history, and if you can, live data. note the emission outputs. If emission output readings are low, high probability it a real tight good engine.

2. Have your favorite MB SA run the VIN and get you the service history. Most will do for a $50 tip.

3. CARFAX is useful but not always comprehensive.

4. Your high mileage does not have a whole lot of miles left.

good luck and buyer beware......