C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

2009 CLS63 Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
CLS63 AMG-S
2009 CLS63 Catalytic Converter Question

Started getting the P0430 code Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) and was hoping it was the O2 sensor. Decided to replace all 4 since my car has 85,000 miles and sure enough the check engine light came back on a couple of days later. I have had some local shops tell me the catalytic converter is bad on that side and they cannot get them. They said this can only be repaired at Mercedes which i have not had the best of luck with my local dealer in the past. Anyone else have similar issues with this? Did it turn out to be the CC and is Mercedes my only option for repair? There are some universal catalytic converters listed on-line and local shops said they would weld one in for me, but this kind of scares me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Started getting the P0430 code Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) and was hoping it was the O2 sensor. Decided to replace all 4 since my car has 85,000 miles and sure enough the check engine light came back on a couple of days later. I have had some local shops tell me the catalytic converter is bad on that side and they cannot get them. They said this can only be repaired at Mercedes which i have not had the best of luck with my local dealer in the past. Anyone else have similar issues with this? Did it turn out to be the CC and is Mercedes my only option for repair? There are some universal catalytic converters listed on-line and local shops said they would weld one in for me, but this kind of scares me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Go to an Indy Mercedes shop.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Couple of questions. Is the car starting to get sluggish? Is the temp starting to float? Do you hear any rattling sounds? If your scan is pointing to the converter then get all of them changed. If one is bad the others aren’t far behind, and its a job you only want to do once. Then go to a muffler shop and have them fit replacements for all 4 and make sure everything is welded. I got the same line of bull from another indie who was too lazy to do the job. You dont need OEM just good quality. If necessary match the converter by measuring them. I had mine done for 400.00 and that included the converters. But that ‘ gotta get them from Mercedes” is nonsense.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
CLS63 AMG-S
Forgot to update this thread...just an FYI it was a hairline crack in the factory weld on the drivers side catalytic converter. Dropped it off at a muffler shop and picked it up that afternoon and set me back $80. So glad I did not take it to Mercedes and end up spending $1,000+. CEL went away immediately and still going fine after 3+ months.